Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

was he trying to escape or kill himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Missionary Positron posted:

How does Spicer still have a job, and how the gently caress did he get the job to begin with? :psyduck:

He is saying 100% exactly what Trump wants him to say.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nine year olds, dude.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/851858019264512000

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Spicey put out a third statement after the press conference.

.... he then put out a fourth statement to clean up the third statement.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/851876109671182337

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

every god drat time

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

every god drat time

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Trump vacation costs on track to cost taxpayers more in one year than Obama did in eight years combined fyi

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

Spicey put out a third statement after the press conference.

.... he then put out a fourth statement to clean up the third statement.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/851876109671182337

The fuccboi drunk text recovery method.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'll hand it to the sick gently caress, he made two Ohio cops look like idiots and saved us all a lot of time and money trying and jailing his chomo rear end. Good for him.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Doesn't mean we weren't ready to straight up :gas: them if they used them first, or if the Germans successfully landed in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_John_Harvey

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FastestGunAlive posted:

Trump vacation costs on track to cost taxpayers more in one year than Obama did in eight years combined fyi

Got a really nice click bait graph for this one?

I have a mouth breathing idiot running his poo poo about OBUMMER vacations!! 10 Billion Billion dollars! That's why Syria tomahawk strikes were great!

I just want to post something to see if I can get him to melt down

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

No point in linking clickbaity stuff but apparently Twitter is deleting negative posts about United

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They could've used any other graph that would've shown this comparison better.

United CEO, after saying it was the customers fault. Twice. Issued an apology.
https://hub.united.com/united-express-3411-statement-oscar-munoz-2355968629.html?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral
Its amazing what $1 billion in lost stock will get you.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/851799674746880003

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Alex Jones should replace Spicer as the White house Spokesman.

Also I found out an interesting fact today, Vice President Pence, the great job creator, was almost the worst performing Governor for job creating during his tenure. He actually reduced overall employment by half a percent.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/ZeddRebel/status/851887239575597056

lmao @ Mattis

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, I seem to remember the Japanese gassed a couple towns, and dropped fleas carrying the bubonic plague on a couple others.

quote:

An example of biological (or germ) warfare occurred on October 4, 1940 when a Japanese airplane dropped plague-infected fleas (causing bubonic and other plagues) over Quzhou, a small town in western Zhejiang Province. The first victims died within a few days, and more than 2,000 people in Quzhou died within one year from this plague. In addition, in September 1941 a railway worker brought the plague from Quzhou to the city of Yiwu (about 90 miles east of Quzhou), and within a year, more than 1,000 people in the Yiwu region died from this plague. Another example of germ warfare was a series of anthrax and glanders attacks starting in 1942 on many villages in the Jinhua area of Zhejiang Province (including the one mentioned at the beginning of this article), when at least 6,000 of the 30,000 inhabitants of Jinhua were infected by bacteria caused by biological weapons, and at least 3,000 of them died soon after the infection while suffering extremely painful and miserable lives before they died.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
What do you do when infowars is basically on the correct side?

https://twitter.com/timothywjohnson/status/851883648748048384

Guys seriously, infowars basically called Spicer full of poo poo and dumb for the holocaust thing. And they're right.

What the gently caress do I do now?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

facialimpediment posted:

What do you do when infowars is basically on the correct side?

https://twitter.com/timothywjohnson/status/851883648748048384

Guys seriously, infowars basically called Spicer full of poo poo and dumb for the holocaust thing. And they're right.

What the gently caress do I do now?

Wait for the imminent implosion of the universe.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Laugh because all of this is happening during Passover.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:allbuttons:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

In the universe where Mattis is the press secretary

https://twitter.com/DonteStallworth/status/851885721250082816

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KildarX posted:

Doesn't mean we weren't ready to straight up :gas: them if they used them first, or if the Germans successfully landed in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_John_Harvey

I seem to think retaliation was a major concern and the Germans thought they were massively behind in CW for avoiding first use of gas.

I've never gotten a good answer though why neither the Soviets or Nazis didn't go gas happy on the Eastern front.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 11, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Imagine the horror if a country used nuclear weapons on civilian populations

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not that it hasn't been talked to death, but how in the world could they have thought that it makes more sense to forcibly drag a dude out rather than bumping the incentive until someone takes it?

This is a guess based on my experience with dispatching and large airports: They probably had a scheduled block out time when they were scheduled by the airport to be pushing back from the gate. If they miss that, they lose their slot in the departures queue, and if they can't make up the time en route, they aren't guaranteed their landing slot at the destination either. Airlines will fly empty planes in order to avoid losing their slot times, because once you do, you are at the mercy of the controllers. Given that they were positioning a crew for another aircraft, which seems like a last choice option, that crew was probably right up on the timeline for their flight.

The airline's choices likely boiled down to bumping four customers who already had seats, or a multi-hour delay for a whole plane load of passengers later that day.

It says on the terms you accept for your ticket, and I believe in the FAR itself, that the crew has the final say on who they will or will not transport. They are not obliged to bring their schedule to a halt until they satisfy what a recalcitrant passenger feels they are owed.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for the passenger because, once things have escalated to the point of the police being called, the proper venue to air your grievance is a court of law. If a cop says that you need to leave the aircraft or they are going to remove you, and your answer is "you're gonna have to drag me out", I don't have a lot of sympathy if you get dragged off an airplane. He had his chance to go voluntarily, the crew was within their rights, and he wasn't.

EDIT: Although my years working as one of the certified Pax monitors for the unit probably has warped my views of passengers and their requests.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 11, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is a guess based on my experience with dispatching and large airports: They probably had a scheduled block out time when they were scheduled by the airport to be pushing back from the gate. If they miss that, they lose their slot in the departures queue, and if they can't make up the time en route, they aren't guaranteed their landing slot at the destination either. Airlines will fly empty planes in order to avoid losing their slot times, because once you do, you are at the mercy of the controllers. Given that they were positioning a crew for another aircraft, which seems like a last choice option, that crew was probably right up on the timeline for their flight.

The airline's choices likely boiled down to bumping four customers who already had seats, or a multi-hour delay for a whole plane load of passengers later that day.

It says on the terms you accept for your ticket, and I believe in the FAR itself, that the crew has the final say on who they will or will not transport. They are not obliged to bring their schedule to a halt until they satisfy what a recalcitrant passenger feels they are owed.

I don't have a ton of sympathy for the passenger because, once things have escalated to the point of the police being called, the proper venue to air your grievance is a court of law. If a cop says that you need to leave the aircraft or they are going to remove you, and your answer is "you're gonna have to drag me out", I don't have a lot of sympathy if you get dragged off an airplane. He had his chance to go voluntarily, the crew was within their rights, and he wasn't.

No, the choice was for United to deadhead their crew with another airline. They do this all the time without a need to bump paying passengers.

gently caress United, and I'm glad they took such a stock hit from this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I seem to think retaliation was a major concern and the Germans thought they were massively behind in CW for avoiding first use of gas.

I've Never gotten a good answer though why neither the Soviets or Nazis didn't go gas happy on the Eastern front.

The most plausible explanation I've heard is the way that use of chemical weapons would have impeded the pace with which the OKW had planned to breeze through Russia. By the time that idea went south, conditions were apparently too lovely to deploy chemical weapons reliably.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The most plausible explanation I've heard is the way that use of chemical weapons would have impeded the pace with which the OKW had planned to breeze through Russia. By the time that idea went south, conditions were apparently too lovely to deploy chemical weapons reliably.

They did have their mobile gas vans running around on the front.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

EDIT: Although my years working as one of the certified Pax monitors for the unit probably has warped my views of passengers and their requests.

The next United flight didn't leave SDF for about 12 hours though and that was actually a different express carrier (TSA vs Republic).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

They did have their mobile gas vans running around on the front.

Not trying to have a Spicer moment here, I figured he was talking about the use of gas in front line combat, not the Holocaust or what the Einsatzgruppen did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not trying to have a Spicer moment here, I figured he was talking about the use of gas in front line combat, not the Holocaust or what the Einsatzgruppen did.

I know, just being pedantic.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CommieGIR posted:

No, the choice was for United to deadhead their crew with another airline. They do this all the time without a need to bump paying passengers.

gently caress United, and I'm glad they took such a stock hit from this.

What stock hit?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I've never gotten a good answer though why neither the Soviets or Nazis didn't go gas happy on the Eastern front.

There's some good poo poo about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Nazi_Germany

Basically came down to fear of retaliation and the German armies' reliance on horses. There also was apparently one attack on soviets using gas

quote:

One reported incident indicates the German army eventually used poison gas on survivors of the Battle of Kerch on the Eastern Crimean peninsula. After the battle in mid-May 1942, roughly 3000 soldiers and civilians not evacuated by sea were besieged in a series of caves and tunnels in the nearby Adzhimuskai quarry. After holding out for approximately three months, "poison gas was released into the tunnels, killing all but a few score of the Soviet defenders."

I had no idea about Japan using weaponised plague though, that's fuckin next level even for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

They shed about $600 Million to $1 billion in stock value this AM. It'll recover, of course.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I had no idea about Japan using weaponised plague though, that's fuckin next level even for them.

The Japanese played with a lot of really hosed up poo poo, but the German's invented the first Nerve Agent during World War 2, but never used it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabun_(nerve_agent)

Iraq apparently used Tabun against the Iranians.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 11, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

UAL dropped by about 3% after the opening bell on Monday, but its bouncing back.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

There's some good poo poo about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Nazi_Germany

Basically came down to fear of retaliation and the German armies' reliance on horses. There also was apparently one attack on soviets using gas

It wasn't gas. It was a prototype weapon called a Typhoon. It was basically coal dust that was pumped in then lit on fire. The second version they made of it was a proper FAE that was almost used on the allies when they did the breakout from Normandy.

If the book I read was correct information anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

It wasn't gas. It was a prototype weapon called a Typhoon. It was basically coal dust that was pumped in then lit on fire. The second version they made of it was a proper FAE that was almost used on the allies when they did the breakout from Normandy.

If the book I read was correct information anyways.

That sounds like chemical weapons to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

There's a bunch of literature out there about it, but if you want a decent overview just read the wiki article on Unit 731 and follow the various links. The Japanese did some poo poo that made Mengele look tame.

• Locked thread