Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The 5v 2.4A ports I have in the cars are enough to power the switch with the brightness jacked and not break anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LethalGeek posted:

The 5v 2.4A ports I have in the cars are enough to power the switch with the brightness jacked and not break anything.

Amazingly, the Switch seems to work with (almost?) any USB power source - I expected a lot more confusion. Also I haven't read a single report of a Switch that's died because of wrong type of electrons

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Unmature posted:

Thanks for the answers, dudes.

If I just get a USB cable that fits the Switch can I plug it into my USB car phone charger? Or is there some tech in a Switch car charger that makes it special?

It depends. Is your car charger a USB-A connector? If so, you will most likely either maintain charge or very slowly lose it. It depends on the capabilities of your charger and what power delivery standards it supports. You may be able to pull 5V/2A (10W), or you may pull a lower 5V/0.9A (4.5W). It really depends on your equipment. According to Anandtech, a fully charged Switch will pull 8.9W of power in handheld mode while playing Zelda, so if you can't pull 5V/2A, your battery would slowly drain.

Also according to Anandtech, not only will Zelda pull 8.9W while fully charged, it will also pull 17.7W when charging. They also observed that at 5V, the Switch doesn't seem to pull more than 2A, so a device capable of 5V/3A wouldn't pull 15W.

Just find a USB-C car charger that supports 9V/2A. That should let you play and charge at full speed. If you just need to maintain your existing charge, a USB-C charger that supports 5V/2A should be fine.

EDIT: Removed some possible misinformation.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 11, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's been a month and it turns out switch has hella games

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
not really

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Have any exclusives come out since launch? As far as I can tell the only things on here you can't play other places are Snipperclips, 1 2 Switch, and Fast RMX.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

It's been a month and it turns out switch has hella games

You're talking about currently releases and upcoming titles right? Because if it's just the former I'm not sure I agree with you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Graceful Explosion Machine (timed), Voez(console exclusive), Mr. Shifty Thursday (timed).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

Graceful Explosion Machine (timed), Voez(console exclusive), Mr. Shifty Thursday (timed).

So no.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
mr shifty is not a timed exclusive

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Looking forward to getting Shifty.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Being a slack rear end about things like BoI has paid off cause now I got the home & portable version.

Speaking of finally played that first the first time last night, what a weird interesting game. Beat mom on my 2nd try and that unlocked a bunch of crazy crap I gotta figure out.

Edit: One thing that I just love this thing for is that for games like that. I have it paused in memory right now cause bedtime is a thing. When I'd play something like FTL where I'd be in a good run but have to stop and then want to pick up later either have to be on the same computer or go make sure it synced the cloud save. It's not a huge deal but now I can just grab the Switch either way and just go. It's really handy.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 11, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The only exclusive the switch needs is my heart, and it has it :ohdear:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Shipped my left joy con to be repaired today. It stopped acting up after I made the call to get the repair done but I figured it should go anyway. Do joy cons always act up when a laptop is between them and the console or just the ones that need to be fixed? Also, how fast did people get their joy cons back? (Luckily I found the last pro control at a Best Buy yesterday so I can still play Zelda tonight)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know Mr Shifty is Thursday. Anything new hit today?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I still can't find a Nintendo Switch™ anywhere locally! Good job!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I still can't find a Nintendo Switch™ anywhere locally! Good job!

I saw pro controllers and joycon in stock yesterday, but no switches. Also, archer link amiibo but no other new ones

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was at a bar with friends having a drink and a friend came in late and mentioned he had a Switch. He took it out and we started tooling around with Zelda at the table. I figured out how to make Link frolic merrily by jumping a lot then threw my friend's sword away. After a few minutes we put it away and kept drinking but it was a pretty fun few minutes. I didn't care for the side controllers at all and I probably won't buy a Switch but I'd probably frolic through a forest and not freeze to death on a mountain again if someone else brought one over. For my friend's part he loves it and Zelda's replaced Ingress as his favorite game (he's a huge parkour guy). He hasn't bought a game or a game console for that matter since Halo Reach.

That's my Nintendo Switch story thanks for reading.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Stan Taylor posted:

Have any exclusives come out since launch? As far as I can tell the only things on here you can't play other places are Snipperclips, 1 2 Switch, and Fast RMX.

We've all forgotten Super Bomberman R, as God intended

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

zenintrude posted:

We've all forgotten Super Bomberman R, as God intended

That was a launch game. The question was "since launch".

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

parallelodad posted:

I'm really good at reading words, you see

Also, all those games he listed were launch games so I'm not THAT big a dum dum

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

exclusivity doesn't matter, Switch has a lot of cool games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm terrified of putting my switch in the dock because I don't want the screen to lift up again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

I'm terrified of putting my switch in the dock because I don't want the screen to lift up again.

I missed this. What happened?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you want to play games we have a console for you.

It's called the Wii U.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

I missed this. What happened?

Playing Zelda in the dock warmed up and softened the glue that holds the screen down. One corner lifted up. I sent it to Nintendo and they replaced the screen. Now I'm worried putting it in the dock might cause the problem again

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
drat. did your screen protector lift up too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No, the amfilm glass protector held on strong until I ripped it off to send my switch to. Nintendo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's hosed up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

That's hosed up

Yeah, the poor screen protector didn't do anything wrong and didn't deserve to die like that.

mineral
Apr 10, 2006

ˇquiero dulces!

Cojawfee posted:

Playing Zelda in the dock warmed up and softened the glue that holds the screen down. One corner lifted up. I sent it to Nintendo and they replaced the screen. Now I'm worried putting it in the dock might cause the problem again

Perhaps the dock should be replaced as well? I haven't noticed much heat generating around my Switch in docked mode after 4-5 hours of Zelda. Scary to think there may be a quality issue with the glue being used.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

No, I totally forgot Bomberman.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nothing seems to be wrong with the dock. The switch never really got all that warm. I think there was probably just a run of switches with bad glue.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rip ur switch

ur probs fine now tho

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does the Switch keep saves from physical carts internally or do they save to the cart?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
except now he's down a glass screen protector

hidden costs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

No, I totally forgot Bomberman.

I own Bomberman and have totally forgotten about Bomberman :v:

It'll probably get a run during a multiplayer day with the mates.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo offering rewards to hackers for finding security flaws :allears:

quote:

System vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo Switch:
- Privilege escalation from userland
- Kernel takeover
- ARM® TrustZone® takeover

Vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo-published applications for Nintendo Switch
- Userland takeover

quote:

Nintendo will pay rewards to the first reporter of qualifying vulnerability information ranging from $100 USD to $20,000 USD.

Those pesky hackers and their want for running emulators (Amongst other things) :allears:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I mean everything since the Wii and DS has been hacked to hell allowing easy piracy. I don't really blame them for not wanting hackers to run exploits enabling piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't blame Nintendo. It's incredibly easy to pirate on 3DS and Wii U now.

• Locked thread