Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

PPG has huge facilities in Cleveland, too.

Pittsburgh is within driving distancee.

Flikken posted:

There is a Chevy plant in Lordstown, less than an hour from Cleveland.

Yeah I'm trying to recall whom was throwing money at those past races. Goodyear was down the road in Akron, Firestone is still down the road in Akron. I seem to recall giant rear end inflatable "SHELL" logos over there.. US Bank, FedEX, Miller Lite.. (I'm trying to recall if Shell was in a relationship with BP...who if memory serves bought out SOHIO, and still has a presence in NEOhio). I want to say Keybank tossed some money at 'em, but that could be my childhood memories of the Tribe blending in there.

Also IMG managed the event back in the day up until it no longer was a thing..

WindyMan posted:

Bourdais 1st and 2nd to start the season.

I'm 100% on board the Seabass bandwagon!

I wanna see him get a "500" win. Was so drat convinced it was gonna happen last year until Rossi pulled off the upset.

Hinch had a helluva race though. Winning Long Beach is a big rear end deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

loving hell, that race.

I can't hate that top three but what the flying gently caress at the Andretti Honda problems.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't hate that top three but what the flying gently caress at the Andretti Honda problems.

I can't wait for the investigation of what happened, half of my fantasy lineup were Andretti cars :smith:

I wonder what the mileages were on those engines, I'm willing to bet they were all pretty close to each other when the failures occurred.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reading through Racer, it seems like RHR's was actually an electric failure. Said he was able to fire it up again after some time.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Between Kimball and Stroll in F1 turning in on people on lap 1 this week, they should really put blind spot detection or something in these things. Not that it'd change anything, but it would at least eliminate the didn't-know-he-was-there excuse.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

gently caress, I only got 99 points from this week's race. drat you Honday!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

Between Kimball and Stroll in F1 turning in on people on lap 1 this week, they should really put blind spot detection or something in these things. Not that it'd change anything, but it would at least eliminate the didn't-know-he-was-there excuse.

Watching that crash in more detail - first, :lol: at the photographer jumping back since Beetus pretty much hit right in front of him. Second, while it was really loving dumb of Power to stick his nose in there (see: RHR/Josef), Charlie took a super shallow line into the corner, and Power was way further alongside than Charlie seems to want to give him 'credit' for.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I still would give more of the blame to Power than to Kimball, though. Turn 4 is absolutely *NOT* a passing zone. It was the first lap of the race, it was clear through turns 2/3 that Kimball was not going to lift, and that Kimball was clearly ahead. Power could have backed off to be safe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, I agree, Power shouldn't have tried that move after Kimball got ahead coming out of the fountain. But Charlie is not blameless here.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, I agree, Power shouldn't have tried that move after Kimball got ahead coming out of the fountain. But Charlie is not blameless here.

Of course he's not. They were both idiots, but he's definitely the bigger victim IMO.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Remind me to never post on trackforum .

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Remind me to never post on trackforum .

Don't post on trackforum.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Don't post on trackforum.

good loving god.

I swear to god, every race could have the excitement level of the last 11 laps of the '92 Indianapolis 500 and you'd have people make the following points

1. "The racing product isn't very good. Too PIT STOP ORIENTED"
2. The rating sucked. NASCAR's ratings are better.
3. NO ONE CARES ABOUT INDYCARS OUTSIDE OF THE INDIANAPOLIS 500. THE SERIES IS DOOMED!

They never look at historical precedent or put things in context.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Was at the race. It was fun and good. But they do need to do more to increase awareness of general stuff, including pit stop strategy. I spent half the race explaining to people in the stands what was happening.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't help (in that regard) that Long Beach seems to be one of the only tracks where pit strategy really is that varied. Most of the time the number of stops you need is pretty much a given, with the strategy only being when. It is possible at Long Beach to save just enough fuel to make two stops work, without running crazy slow... but if you three-stop it you can run hard enough to possibly make the ~35 second penalty for the third stop go away. Especially if the yellows go in your favor.

Also, I love that I get to type this: Sebastien Bourdais, in a Coyne car, is leading the championship by 19 points. Simultaneously, Will Power is only nine points ahead of last place.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 11, 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

These 30 minute race recaps Indycar is doing on youtube is really cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I will laugh long and hard if Chevy dominates the super speedways this year and Honda dominates everything else.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Was at the race. It was fun and good. But they do need to do more to increase awareness of general stuff, including pit stop strategy. I spent half the race explaining to people in the stands what was happening.

I know someone working ABC to directly cover this. It was done for the St. Pete broadcast in fact.

dentist toy box posted:

These 30 minute race recaps Indycar is doing on youtube is really cool.

A major thing American auto racing does right is this.

Even Cup does a great job at letting people post old races and posting recaps, etc.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
NASCAR gives zero fucks about stuff like old races and streams. Only Fox clamps down on that poo poo.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

gently caress, I only got 99 points from this week's race. drat you Honday!

I don't know how I pulled it off but I picked 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I picked Marco and Rossi and also Helio over Seabass so gently caress me I guess.

Still picked Hinch though so it wasn't a complete wash.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Fun Fact: Out of the 8 different timing sectors at Long Beach, this past race had 8 different drivers leading those sectors

http://nasportscar.com/behind-the-numbers-indycar-toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach/

Read my first article with my new affiliation jerkbags

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Fun Fact: Out of the 8 different timing sectors at Long Beach, this past race had 8 different drivers leading those sectors

http://nasportscar.com/behind-the-numbers-indycar-toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach/

Nasport Scar? Who dat?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

Nasport Scar? Who dat?

Established sports car outlet that's expanding into open wheel and stock car. I'm writing IndyCar stuff for them. This is a much better idea than trying to start my own thing.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

KingShibby posted:

Established sports car outlet that's expanding into open wheel and stock car. I'm writing IndyCar stuff for them. This is a much better idea than trying to start my own thing.

I think I know one of the guys from IMSA Fans FB group. Maybe even the founder but cool to see you moving up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

I dunno about you, but parking for the aquarium over by turn 9 seems like a long way to walk compared to the parking garage right next to 3/4/5 :v:

Wish I could've gone this year. Couldn't swing it on a trip on my own, and my dad hit me up absolutely last second to see if I wanted to go with him.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I dunno about you, but parking for the aquarium over by turn 9 seems like a long way to walk compared to the parking garage right next to 3/4/5 :v:

Parking is for plebs. Blue Line Master Race

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The white zone is for loading and unloading only

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
gently caress parking anywhere near that track but I really wanna go back next year. Still need to do Sonoma first

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you aren't going to will call, my play is to come over on the Vincent Thomas. It will dump you directly on Ocean Blvd, and those first parking structures are normally $10(!), and the walk is the same as the $20-25 garages up on broadway or 3rd. You can just go in the West entrance by turn 5/The Pike.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

The white zone is for loading and unloading only

Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone poo poo again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/852098232377376771

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Autosport says it's happening: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128926/alonso-to-race-in-2017-indy-500

That's definitely a headline I did not expect to see today.

edit: Alonso's statement was added to the report after I posted this

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 12, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wait they're letting him skip Monaco this year to do it.

I..uh...that's...interesting.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/852109293159682049

Holy poo poo :stare:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Good on him. And that's a huge amount of attention Indycar needs.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
First time since 1979 that the McLaren factory has had any stake in the 500.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish GP - May 14
First day of '500' practice - May 15

Man this is gonna be awesome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, I cannot believe this is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren open to a full season IndyCar entry in the future: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mclaren-open-to-full-works-indycar-programme-in-future-892893/

• Locked thread