Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

Lingering Souls was in like a dozen tier 1 decks over its 2 years in Standard. Ashiok was a roleplayer in UBx control but people have a boner for it for some reason and want to believe it was an Important Card.

It was unsuccessfully in a bunch of decks, but people really weren't playing it all over the place, there were delver/snapcaster geist decks that didn't run it, and instead used moorland haunts, and those were different than the intangible virtue decks that made up the decks that actually ran it successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You keep saying this and I'm not sure why. I'd be curious to hear your reasons why. I don't see how it fits greatly into the game plan or helps win where something else wouldn't and I'm not sure what it would replace. Seems a little inefficient in modern. I guess you could cast it for x=3 on turn 3 and then use the zero ability to start generating card advantage but spending 5 mana on something that will get abrupt decayed doesn't seem good.

Walking Ballista is also inefficient, far moreso than Nissa while still being playable because it fits a niche in a particular deck that can generate enough mana to mitigate that efficiency and wants the role it plays. A post was already made about how strong varying mana costs are for their flexibility, and especially on cards like this where two thirds of what we want Nissa to do are doable at her lowest rate.

Her +2 filters what we don't want, digs us to our combo conditions, sets up her 0 for the next turn and makes our Collected Companies stronger by giving us access to information. Her 0, even played on turn 2 off a Bird is 50/50 to put something into play in a standard Company shell of 22 lands + 7 dorks if we choose that route instead of upping her loyalty (if she isn't under immediate damage pressure) and is one + away from being able to put 80% of our deck into play off of a flip. That is comparable to Bob, who also dies to Bolt and Decay and is still an incredible card in the format and overall, compares favourably to the current flex slot card advantage creatures we run to bait out removal for our Knights, while sharing Courser's synergy with Retreat to Coralhelm's scry.

The ultimate is also very real for us, as we often wind up with a lot of mana in the late game thanks to our dorks and Knights, and allows us to punch through for our needed last few points of damage.

I don't want 4 in there but I would like to try one, probably two, and in a grindy game where my hand is low Company is the only card I think I would rather see. She avoids Wraths, allows us to hold up Company turn 4 and onward while accruing major advantage on the board if not dealt with, and in general fits in better than any other Walker I've seen. You're right that she's vulnerable, there are matchups where she will be subpar just like Courser and Pridemage where we want to side her out, but I think she's very much worth trying.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Guys, I just want you to know that if Nissa ends up seeing no play at the PT I'm going to link to all of you saying the card is amazing and draw a really bad MS Paint Told Ya So sign. I just want all of you to consider that before making any claims about this card being amazing, because I am not afraid to use my bad MS Paint skills to embarrass you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Guys, I just want you to know that if Nissa ends up seeing no play at the PT I'm going to link to all of you saying the card is amazing and draw a really bad MS Paint Told Ya So sign. I just want all of you to consider that before making any claims about this card being amazing, because I am not afraid to use my bad MS Paint skills to embarrass you.

Standard is garbage so who cares

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

At this point nobody cares about this, you do realize that right? Just like you aren't going to give a poo poo when people link to your post of you saying its terrible before spoilers were even finished.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

There are other things than the immediate next Standard tournament you farting baby.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

At this point nobody cares about this, you do realize that right? Just like you aren't going to give a poo poo when people link to your post of you saying its terrible before spoilers were even finished.

I would actually find it pretty amusing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

I would actually find it pretty amusing

Of course you would you loving garbage dick baby

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Pretty hosed up for a baby to have garbage on its dick. Someone should call CPS.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What the gently caress is wrong with y'all? It was a joke, there's no need to be so rude in response.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

It was unsuccessfully in a bunch of decks, but people really weren't playing it all over the place, there were delver/snapcaster geist decks that didn't run it, and instead used moorland haunts, and those were different than the intangible virtue decks that made up the decks that actually ran it successfully.

it was also in a ton of graveyard/reanimator decks including Junk Rites which was the de facto "best deck" for a while in RTR standard, and also the various Aristocrats decks

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Ultima66 posted:

This post except lol that he left out the most played gold walker in standard (Domri) while putting like 8 different unplayable ones on the list.

Honestly couldn't remember if it was played a lot. It showed up around when I started playing again, so there was a lot of stuff to parse.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"You were wrong about a weird-AF two-color Planeswalker!" he screams from the rooftops as his diaper fills with yet more poop. "Your card evaluation was not flawless! This card did not immediately perform!" he yells to the thriving idiot masses as birds poop on him in turn.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Magic players think cards are garbage unless they consistently show up in GP and PT top 8 lists. A card can't show up once in a top 8 list and then only have spotty results in tournaments after, then it was a failure and wasn't "an Important Card". Cards can be somewhere between unplayable trash and format staple, but you'd never know it from listening to Magic players talk.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

Magic players think cards are garbage unless they consistently show up in GP and PT top 8 lists. A card can't show up once in a top 8 list and then only have spotty results in tournaments after, then it was a failure and wasn't "an Important Card". Cards can be somewhere between unplayable trash and format staple, but you'd never know it from listening to Magic players talk.

Where is the fun in not being hyperbolic?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

UG Nissa doesn't play nice with Walking Ballista or Felidar Guardian so it will probably show up in limited amounts until WotC finally salts the earth of this Standard format. It's a solid card in a vacuum.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I wasn't aware that I was talking about top 8s exclusively or that I was discussing the card being good outside of the AKH format we're about to enter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Being able to talk about Magic the card game without people acting like you're trash for thinking a previewed card isn't just draft fodder?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

Being able to talk about Magic the card game without people acting like you're trash for thinking a previewed card isn't just draft fodder?

gently caress that! I can't immediately see a list that plays 4 Nissa Seward maindeck so gently caress THIS GARBAGE CARD and YOU AS WELL.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Nissa is the first "lead character" walker we've seen get a gold version outside Ajani, isn't she?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

gently caress that! I can't immediately see a list that plays 4 Nissa Seward maindeck so gently caress THIS GARBAGE CARD and YOU AS WELL.

But you're the only person in this thread trying to insult a person rather than saying a card is worse than other people think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Nissa is the first "lead character" walker we've seen get a gold version outside Ajani, isn't she?

Does Garruk count? He's got two!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway by the way her staff is blocking the t, it kinda looks like Seward, so she's now blue because she bought Alaska.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

Does Garruk count? He's got two!

Yeah, I just thought of that. But he hasn't been seen since M15, so gently caress him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Seeing TFF regulars post in tg explains a lot, now that you mention it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Holy poo poo! loving bonkers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunately, Saheeli dodges it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Haha love it. Wrecks stuff like Lantern Control, and puts a big hurt on vehicle deks too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Daaaaaaaaaaang.

I wonder how good it actually ends up being.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sampatrick posted:

YCS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So is this main or side in Modern Burn?

E: this is probably too bullish, drat that's strong though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

So is this main or side in Modern Burn?

Its hard to say. Its easier to cast than eidolon but probably procs less times on average. It does have the upside of doing 0 damage to you and damages your opponent without targeting them. Its also not an enchantment. A mix is probably best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Its hard to say. Its easier to cast than eidolon but probably procs less times on average. It does have the upside of doing 0 damage to you and damages your opponent without targeting them. Its also not an enchantment. A mix is probably best.

How much does this actually do against the average modern deck?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

So fetching isn't a mana ability right? Is this the missing two drop red has been looking for?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

It activates with fetchlands.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 12, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Lets see.
Fetches
Street Wraith (possibly any creature cycle?)
any activated ability of artifacts (relic/bauble/ee/equipment stands out)
Fulminator mage
lavamancer
scooze
tasigur
ballista
endbringer
basically anything in affinity

Tons more i am sure. Needs to be played to get a better idea.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't think it works with Street Wraith since it cycles as a card, not as a permanent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Knight of the Reliquary :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It's pretty bad for the scales, snake, and ballista deck I just built! There are ravagers, too. Complete hoser! Sad!

• Locked thread