Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

O'Dim's speech is along the lines of "You're just a cockerel, and a cockerel can only ever be the king of a compost heap. You think you've won but I can't be killed. I'm banished for now but I'll be back eventually"

I'm repeating myself, but Geralt's dismissive retort of,"Be gone, you're beaten" is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's appropriately pessimistic for Witcherworld that Christianity doesn't exist but Satan does

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

It's appropriately pessimistic for Witcherworld that Christianity doesn't exist but Satan does

Don't let the prophets Majoran or Lebioda hear that you heathen...

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it worth it to craft the Witcher sets? I just scrounged together all of the Feline gear (which had a surprisingly interesting story for what was basically a fetch quest) and I'll hit the level requirement soon. The bonuses look useful, unlike Griffin, since I don't focus much on Signs. Is there any trap here or should I go ahead and make a set once I hit level 17?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Bold Robot posted:

Is it worth it to craft the Witcher sets? I just scrounged together all of the Feline gear (which had a surprisingly interesting story for what was basically a fetch quest) and I'll hit the level requirement soon. The bonuses look useful, unlike Griffin, since I don't focus much on Signs. Is there any trap here or should I go ahead and make a set once I hit level 17?

Witcher gear is both useful and good looking, not unlike myself

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If you want the highest stats you can't go wrong with Witcher gear. They're all really good. Griffin's pretty great when you get the grandmaster bonuses and can just constantly chain spam freezing aard.

Make sure you check out the passive skills for the armour techniques to get the most out of them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

No trap at all, Witcher sets are the best gear other than some unique stuff in the expansions. They're upgradeable, there are five tiers and only the top two are significantly expensive.

If you haven't checked out Skellige you're a good level for it

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks, all.

Pellisworth posted:

If you haven't checked out Skellige you're a good level for it

I took your advice (at least I think it was yours) from a few pages ago and did Novigrad until I thought it was getting a little slow and talky, then went to Skellige for a break at like level 14 or 15. :thumbsup:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The other good thing about checking out Skellige before you finish Novigrad is you get to meet Yen. It's pretty easy to commit to Triss before you've even met Yen if you just play the zones in sequence.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I did that because I just wanted more Dijkstra, and honestly knowing that I locked myself into an ending before I knew what I was doing took the wind out of my sales. When I come back to the game, I hope Yen is a jerk so I don't feel bad about blowing her off.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bust Rodd posted:

I did that because I just wanted more Dijkstra, and honestly knowing that I locked myself into an ending before I knew what I was doing took the wind out of my sales. When I come back to the game, I hope Yen is a jerk so I don't feel bad about blowing her off.

She's not and is great. The weird games with Geralt alone are why she wins.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Do you guys recommend playing with level scaling on or off?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HiredGun posted:

Do you guys recommend playing with level scaling on or off?

Usually on, except it makes wolves and rats super annoying and one enemy in Yennifer's quest almost impossible.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Skwirl posted:

Usually on, except it makes wolves and rats super annoying and one enemy in Yennifer's quest almost impossible.

:tizzy: The only time this game ever made me really rage.

I never wanted to ask at the time because I was certain I was either doing something wrong or it was this option and I soldiered on for nearly 30 minutes to beat that loving thing.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Alternate opinion: level-scaling is dumb and rolling up to monsters/people/animals/plants that gave you trouble earlier and beating the poo poo out of them rules

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Unless you're trying to level up Aerondight and kill all the drowner mobs before getting up to 10 hits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lunethex posted:

:tizzy: The only time this game ever made me really rage.

I never wanted to ask at the time because I was certain I was either doing something wrong or it was this option and I soldiered on for nearly 30 minutes to beat that loving thing.

You're a braver man than I. That is the only time apart from the rat swarm I turn level scaling off. Even scaled wolves don't bother me thanks to beast oil protection skills.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hi guys. Need some newbie advice. I'm on my first playthrough currently on second hardest difficulty and the combats are good. I get punished if I get surrounded but it's a good challenge. The skill slots are kinda irking me because I want to pick up some passives / delusion for dialog options but there's no room on top of my combat skills. Should I pick up a mod that lets me have passive skills always on? Or the slots slots slots mod? I'm only level 6 and a few hours in, so I'd like to enjoy 'challenging' combat while I can before I become a complete deathlord. Should I just suck it up and play vanilla?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Hi guys. Need some newbie advice. I'm on my first playthrough currently on second hardest difficulty and the combats are good. I get punished if I get surrounded but it's a good challenge. The skill slots are kinda irking me because I want to pick up some passives / delusion for dialog options but there's no room on top of my combat skills. Should I pick up a mod that lets me have passive skills always on? Or the slots slots slots mod? I'm only level 6 and a few hours in, so I'd like to enjoy 'challenging' combat while I can before I become a complete deathlord. Should I just suck it up and play vanilla?

Just install the passive skills always on mod, it won't make you overpowered or anything and you can always jack up the difficulty if you want.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Might as well level up axii because it is really good in one on one fights.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The loving djinn is pretty cheeseable though. Just use quen, run in for a swing, then run the hell away and down into the lower decks. Repeat.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Wolves and dogs are annoying as gently caress only because of their random attack patterns (the attack hits earlier than you would think based on the animation too) but they still don't do much damage overall. The rats and the djinn are the things that you are advised to turn off level scaling for, 100% agree.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pellisworth posted:

Just install the passive skills always on mod, it won't make you overpowered or anything and you can always jack up the difficulty if you want.

Yes it will.

Don't bother with a mod. The Axii skill only lets you sometimes avoid paying gold/fighting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes it will.

Don't bother with a mod. The Axii skill only lets you sometimes avoid paying gold/fighting.

It gives you a shitload of extra exp by the end of the game if you use it regularly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hell if you want challenging combat, sacrificing a combat skill for axii will help with that

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

When I come back to the game, I hope Yen is a jerk so I don't feel bad about blowing her off.

It turns out you were the monster all along.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's normal to end up super over-leveled for a lot of quests, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bold Robot posted:

It's normal to end up super over-leveled for a lot of quests, right?

Yes. It doesn't matter even the slightest tiniest bit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The main quest is the only really significant source of xp anyway, just do side quests when you feel like blowing it off

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Hell if you want challenging combat, sacrificing a combat skill for axii will help with that

because being able to stun even giant monsters is less gamebreaking?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I love the Witcher contracts. I wish more RPGs had a similar mechanic. Just a steady stream of cool, optional boss challenges the whole game through.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Man, I love the Witcher contracts. I wish more RPGs had a similar mechanic. Just a steady stream of cool, optional boss challenges the whole game through.

Let me tell you about our radiant quest system!

:smithicide:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm on PS4, about 70 hours in and decided to install Hearts of Stone. I'm trying to load from my last manual save and it doesn't seem to be make any progress on the loading screen. Is this normal? Should I just leave it and come back in a couple hours?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Decided to jump back in with the Polish VAs. I'm really digging Geralt. Seems like a smooth customer instead of lovable gruff. Also, I started up an old game where I was planning to romance Triss. Immediately started a romance with Yen. I have issues and can never change my initial decisions with this game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was heading to the Isle of Mists quest and got a popup saying "a buncha quests will be failed if you continue", so I put the game aside for a couple weeks; I loaded back in a couple days ago after a format and everything was working fine, but today I tried to jump back in and I'm getting this:

Which is weird since a) it was working a couple days ago and b) it says I have the dlc right there on the loving menu.

I googled around and it seems it used to be an issue when they launched the free dlc, but since I have the GOTY version (GoG) I can't 'uncheck/check' the dlc to have it redownload. I tried verifying the installation and nothing.
Any ideas, or am I doomed to reinstall the whole thing? Because that would suck.

Cheers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Go to a barber and see if all the haircuts are there. If you've still got all the content it might just be a hosed up check? Your format might have just gotten rid of their registry records.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Could be, but I definitely played a bit after the bulldoze, so no idea what the hell is up. I'm downloading the whole thing again, I'll report back tomorrow.

/edit:

Turns out it was a mod: All NPC Scabbards 1.22 including DLC, some update to the game broke it in the past week. If any of you get that error I was talking about, try removing the mod first. (If you're thinking "but why didn't you try that before reinstalling everything" the answer is "because I'm an idiot and forgot").

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2017

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wow I hated Velen with its nasty swamps and loogie-hocking peasants but Skellige is definitely my jam.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm going to start a new game for the first time. I've read the OP and the mod list and while it seems interesting, I'd rather play for a couple of hours to get a feel of the game before changing anything. However, I'd like to avoid losing my time doing unnecessary things or even missing something that may be crucial. I guess "don't push Dijkstra, let the Halflings win, give wine to Shani" helps here but I was also wondering if there was more. I know I should do all the exclamation points in the first area and that the crossbow can own underwater beings but is there anything else that will make my experience smoother?

Usually I check the last pages of the thread but this one has a lot of spoilers so I resorted to actually asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
quoting myself from a little bit back

you definitely don't need any mods so you're fine starting without any and then adding in some quality of life stuff

other important stuff for the starter zone is that alchemy stuff only needs crafted once and how to go about combat (read bestiary entries to use appropriate tools, stay mobile)
unless you're importing a W2 save it's recommended that you choose to simulate a save game, then after you finish the starter zone you'll have an opportunity to say who lived and died in W2, just keep everyone alive

the tutorial zone (White Orchard) will take you around 3-5 hours which will give you a pretty good feel for the game

Pellisworth posted:

Also some spoiler-free newbie advice:

Don't skip dialogue. It's all voice-acted, the writing is solid to excellent, and the cinematography is done really well. A lot of the strength of the game is how well the dialogue system "sells" the story. You can miss a lot of important details if you skip through.

You will out-level some quests, they'll go grey and you'll get only token XP. This is ok, do quests because they are fun and not for XP because there is far more than enough XP in the game to get you to max level.

There's no need to really powergame, 90% of winning fights is using the appropriate tactics and tools (consult your Bestiary) and being high enough level. If something is more than 5 levels over you it gets a huge boost to its HP. Basically any build you can think of is totally viable and effective.

It's generally not worth buying gear, the best stuff is mostly crafted Witcher sets and gear doesn't matter that much anyway.

The key to combat is to keep mobile, get in a couple of sword hits then dodge or roll out, use a bomb or sign, rinse repeat.

Alchemy items are "containers," you only need to meditate and one unit of hard alcohol will be consumed to refill all of your alchemy stuff. No need to obsessively pick herbs or re-craft consumables, herbs are cheap. Don't be stingy with alchemy, it replenishes infinitely for almost no cost.

A lot of players love Gwent, it's a decent minigame, but it's entirely skippable if it's not your thing. You miss out on a couple of Gwent tournaments but that's a tiny amount of content.

The game is huge, well over 100 hours with both expansions. It can be well worth it to break up questing and hop around between zones. You can start Novigrad and Skellige a lot earlier than most new players realize. The various zones have very different tones and stuff to do so if you get bored of running around Novigrad talking to people then go explore Skellige or something. Also, the level range is very broad and the main quest will have you revisiting a bunch of places, there's no need to 100% Velen before continuing (and in fact, it would be near impossible to do).

There are only a few missable quests, most of them you're warned explicitly about but there are four off the top of my head that you won't be warned.

mid-Novigrad questing, you can fail Gangs of Novigrad but that's more of choosing between two options and you're not missing anything significant
late in the base game main quest, you'll have an option to shove Dijkstra, probably don't do that as it abruptly ends a major side-quest
in Skellige, The Cave of Dreams will fail if you advance King's Gambit too far. You can begin Cave of Dreams by talking to Madman Lugos or exploring the far south-western tip of Ard Skellig
in B&W expansion, Extreme Cosplay will fail if you leave the area without completing it, so you have to do it on the spot

edit: oh also, you can choose to simulate a W2 save in the new game options, then when you finish the White Orchard tutorial zone you'll have the option to say who lived/died in W2. There is a cool quest with Letho so probably keep him alive, everyone else makes cameos so it doesn't matter too much but you might as well keep everyone alive.