Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Martout posted:

that did the trick cheers, I knew about the wise machines thing but thought them coming back was a bug

just one more quest in the chapters before the Grun fight but I have no clue which one, no red dots, no mail, nothing. guess I just have to run around until I find something :shrug:

it is almost certainly the quest after fully upgrading all weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RoadCrewWorker posted:

And "optimizing" out on the savepoint display chip royally hosed me in the Tower, which was genuinely hilarious.

I didn't even know you could save there until I saw in a stream. I'm really glad I didn't die at that point :v:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Fedule posted:

Grand Spectacle Platinum End Bosses:

Jubileus (Dea)
Steven "Senator" Armstrong
Jergingha (Planet Destruction Form)
The words "Square Enix Co. Ltd."

They should've added a single QTE in the game a punch rush between you and text-Yosuke Matsuda

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fangz posted:

Nietzsche killed all of Pascal's friends.

(I'm not even joking, that whole event is one big philosophical injoke.)

Holy poo poo

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

really queer Christmas posted:

I didn't even know you could save there until I saw in a stream. I'm really glad I didn't die at that point :v:
It all went swimmingly until the sudden character switch to A2 that drops the orb boss on you in the library. I was too slow/cocky to adapt my chip loadout back from the previous character and promptly got missile'd to death. :haw:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just finished ending B of Nier 1, man that is a brilliant flawed gem. I think the story and characters are stronger although I'm looking forward to redoing Automata soon now that I know all the Nier 1 shenanigans.
The Fyra scene made me tear up and I basically never tear up at videogames, the voice acting sold the poo poo out of it though.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mazerunner posted:

it is almost certainly the quest after fully upgrading all weapons

oh lame, it's not even possible to have most of the weapons at that point

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I think I'm doing something wrong, because the intro keeps wrecking me. How do you fight those giant excavators? It took me two tries to get past the first one and then the next time there were suddenly two of those bastards! I just couldn't get past the dynamic dredger duo.

Those things are so huge I can't even evade, is the only solution to give up on normal and go to easy?

(Also while playing the game is fun, it's not fun to retry the intro again and again, why is there no way to save?? :argh: )

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
You can chain evades basically forever without cooldown. Yes, the game shouldn't assume people know or try that. Yes, the keyboard control makes doing it much harder than the controller scheme.

Also play on easy or normal, it'll eventually let you save and you'll know when, set the diffculty to what you feel is appropriate afterwards. You can always change it and there is absolutely no consequence for going easy or very hard.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From TDI's LP thread, but answering here to stay spoiler free in there.

The Sandman posted:

I just hope to eventually see where the hell the other Sound Data items are, because damned if I know where to find them.
You can buy the new sound data in the camp's item shop after each major ending.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Libluini posted:

OK, I think I'm doing something wrong, because the intro keeps wrecking me. How do you fight those giant excavators? It took me two tries to get past the first one and then the next time there were suddenly two of those bastards! I just couldn't get past the dynamic dredger duo.

Those things are so huge I can't even evade, is the only solution to give up on normal and go to easy?

(Also while playing the game is fun, it's not fun to retry the intro again and again, why is there no way to save?? :argh: )

If you don't wanna chain evade, observe the pattern of the discs. In the initial one you dodge the vertical slashes by going side to side, and the horizontal slash by going forwards towards the arm. For the twins there's a gap between the two sets of disks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You can chain evades basically forever without cooldown. Yes, the game shouldn't assume people know or try that. Yes, the keyboard control makes doing it much harder than the controller scheme.

Also play on easy or normal, it'll eventually let you save and you'll know when, set the diffculty to what you feel is appropriate afterwards. You can always change it and there is absolutely no consequence for going easy or very hard.

Well, I noticed I could chain evades together, this didn't prevent me from getting a face full of excavation equipment multiple times.

As a side comment, not allowing you to save during a long, grueling sequence of never ending combat is very bad game design, holy poo poo. My reaction to the intro was basically:

1st attempt: Wow, this is fun!
2nd attempt: Welp, still fun
3rd attempt: Ugh, again?

That's not a good first impression.

But I guess if the game is loving me over this way, I shouldn't hold back either. Even if playing on easy feels like cheating, somehow.

Fangz posted:

If you don't wanna chain evade, observe the pattern of the discs. In the initial one you dodge the vertical slashes by going side to side, and the horizontal slash by going forwards towards the arm. For the twins there's a gap between the two sets of disks.

You dodge the horizontal slash by going forward??! Isn't that like running into them and hoping for the best? Now I wish I could save before the fight and test different tactics, like in every RPG I played before this one, ever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Libluini posted:

Well, I noticed I could chain evades together, this didn't prevent me from getting a face full of excavation equipment multiple times.

As a side comment, not allowing you to save during a long, grueling sequence of never ending combat is very bad game design, holy poo poo. My reaction to the intro was basically:

1st attempt: Wow, this is fun!
2nd attempt: Welp, still fun
3rd attempt: Ugh, again?

That's not a good first impression.

But I guess if the game is loving me over this way, I shouldn't hold back either. Even if playing on easy feels like cheating, somehow.

You dodge the horizontal slash by going forward??! Isn't that like running into them and hoping for the best? Now I wish I could save before the fight and test different tactics, like in every RPG I played before this one, ever.

The arc of the attack sweeps the back half of the area you are in, so if you are far enough forward it misses you as you go too close to it.

(Or it might just swipe the front/back half of the area depending on which you were in when the attack starts, i'm not sure.)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 11, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

The arc of the attack sweeps the back half of the area you are in, so if you are far enough forward it misses you as you go too close to it.

(Or it might just swipe the front/back half of the area depending on which you were in when the attack starts, i'm not sure.)

Welp, that makes sense.

Now is there a way to skip cut scenes and dialog? Because seeing as I can't save in the intro, and have to replay it a lot, that would help, too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Chain evades are basically infinite i-frames, right? That's been my experience. I don't think I have ever been hit while evading. Whenever I feel I'm in trouble I just mash evade until I'm far from danger. Always works out. I only die when I get greedy or I get overwhelmed quickly before I realize I'm about to die.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libluini posted:

Now is there a way to skip cut scenes and dialog? Because seeing as I can't save in the intro, and have to replay it a lot, that would help, too.

Most cutscenes can be skipped by holding down one of the buttons, depending on your controller. My XBox 360 controller has it set to B. If you're using a different controller, just hit buttons at random and it should show you a prompt telling you what button to hold.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Libluini posted:

Welp, that makes sense.

You should be able to smash some buttons to get a "hold B to skip" prompt.

And yes, the prologue is probably the hardest part in the game due to your lack of tools. Bump it down to easy without worry, there aren't even any difficulty-related achievements.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Most cutscenes can be skipped by holding down one of the buttons, depending on your controller. My XBox 360 controller has it set to B. If you're using a different controller, just hit buttons at random and it should show you a prompt telling you what button to hold.

f#a# posted:

You should be able to smash some buttons to get a "hold B to skip" prompt.

And yes, the prologue is probably the hardest part in the game due to your lack of tools. Bump it down to easy without worry, there aren't even any difficulty-related achievements.

Thanks!

Also, this is my first time playing a Yoko Taro game and it already goes like I expected it to go. Failing in the intro! At least I already got ending W unlocked, right? :suicide:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I died a few times in the demo when the first enemies who shoot projectiles at you first show up that suucked

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got a controller, this game is so much more enjoyable now. I just have a few bad habits to break. Monster Hunter has me conditioned to dodge *into* attacks instead of away from them. I hosed sawblade guy up this time. Do you ever get to return to the starting area? I found a locked chest and it was taunting me. I don't care what's inside it, I won't let that chest win.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You do go back there, but only about ten thousand loving times...

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You actually do want to dodge into attacks because that's how you trigger perfect dodges.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Actually about 20 minutes after you leave the starting area you get an email telling you that a weapon you dropped is back there.

and yeah you'll be back there a lot lol, don't worry about locked chests until you get a chip that helps you out with them

Actually, regarding backtracking, I don't mind it too much in this game. It almost hearkens back to my WoW days where I would amass a series of quests and derive a strange amount of enjoyment through mapping out how best to tackle five of 'em, taking into account where I had to go and where I needed to return to complete it.

If you're not like me, though, don't stress out too hard about the quests. Sure, they give you good upgrade materials, but you'll unlock a chapter select way later in the game that will allow you to sweep up.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 11, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Can't think of a better place to put this, but as it's developed by Platinum, a port of Bayonetta has just dropped for the PC.
Out of loving nowhere I might add :eyepop:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hyw2h7VX8Y

Interview with Hideki Kamiya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laejK_ELZ1Y

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
"Sad Bayonetta Lite" could be another name for this game, so I think it's appropriate.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Now do Vanquish goddammit, that's the one that needs mouse + keyboard support.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Irony.or.Death posted:

Now do Vanquish goddammit, that's the one that needs mouse + keyboard support.

I'd be fine with just going right to vanquish 2.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

YOTC posted:

I'd be fine with just going right to vanquish 2.

Since it's clear they've noticed the pc market it's a safe bet they will keep the pc platform in mind from now on. They're still a company that doesn't often make sequels, so Vanquish 1 PC is the most realistic thing to expect for now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shinji Mikami is long gone from Platinum so Vanquish 2 probably won't happen.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Oh hey, someone collected high quality achievement icons.

Spoilers in the link.
http://imgur.com/a/WQUAd

Might make good avs.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Nier is cool but its been shunted to the back of the queue because Bayonetta is god dam incredible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robiben posted:

Oh hey, someone collected high quality achievement icons.

Spoilers in the link.
http://imgur.com/a/WQUAd

Might make good avs.

:rice:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Finally got around to playing more of this. I found Iron Will last night, and I cannot overstate my glee when I realized it wasn't the lovely, snapped-in-half form.

Thanks for taking care of it, Nier. :unsmith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dejavu I have drifted this boar before

I'm so glad Boar Drifting stayed in, it was the DUMBEST thing and it's so good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dias posted:

dejavu I have drifted this boar before

I'm so glad Boar Drifting stayed in, it was the DUMBEST thing and it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1mFfFxiVw

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I beat the first boss of route C and good lord was that a clusterfuck. Cool idea, but that fight was never going to run smoothly without a fixed camera angle. Playing it on Hard sounds like the worst idea ever. Does the roving shopkeeper ever show up on the map again after you complete his side quest?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Rangpur posted:

I beat the first boss of route C and good lord was that a clusterfuck. Cool idea, but that fight was never going to run smoothly without a fixed camera angle. Playing it on Hard sounds like the worst idea ever. Does the roving shopkeeper ever show up on the map again after you complete his side quest?

I dunno, I had a lot of fun fighting Hegel on hard. Maybe I'm just broke-brained, but I thought that was actually kind of a fun and exhilarating fight.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hegel really needed to not have a constant sandstorm blocking most of the screen. Would have been a much better fight if you could actually see anything ever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
When people make 30-minute youtube videos asking how anyone can call Nier: Automata a masterpiece and still only rate it a 9/10, the answer is Hegel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

When people make 30-minute youtube videos asking how anyone can call Nier: Automata a masterpiece and still only rate it a 9/10, the answer is Hegel.

Hegel is garbage, but The Zelda also has bad bossfights I've seen them with my own two eyes that's no excuse burn the witch

I'd have liked that fight better if it was top-down view.