Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jemaine Clement is from New Zealand, and the X-Men have a long history with Australia, so it could be one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That mutant school they were at looked familiar, is it a wright house?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

According to this http://www.atlasofwonders.com/2017/01/legion-filming-locations.html

"Legion was also shot on location at the BlueShore Financial Environmental Learning Centre from the Cheakamus Centre. This amazing eco-friendly high-tech building is a rural campus of the North Vancouver Outdoor School."

I'm guessing it isn't a Wright House, but, it is pretty sweet. The retro future 60s era X-Men is pretty sexy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

She was also a re-ocurring guest-star on top 'clearly this was made as a favour to somoeone' show Welcome To Sweden with Amy Phoeler. She stars as herself which is really all that needs to be said.

Actually liked that show, had a sweet tone (not too sweet) that you don't see often. Didn't get around to watching the whole season tho.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I have no idea about the location, but beyond plates the steering wheel was on the right-hand side.

I noticed the license plate and the right-hand drive, but it's also worth noting that he is driving on the right-hand side of the road.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
The entire point of the show is to confuse you in terms of time and place. There's a 70s aesthetic but then you see tablets, they are driving on the right side of the car but also the right side of the road. I assumed they are in the US but you can't really even assume that, the whole point is to just make you feel displaced, like David is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

This guy.

He was in the mental institution in ep1 as well.

"I'M MAN THING "
"no you're not Steve, we've been over this, you're wearing a tree costume"
"MY TOUCH CAN MELT FLESH "
" Steve. Steve, you're holding a stuffed owl"
" I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOU, MY BRAIN HAS BEEN REPLACED BY VEGETATION "
"Just... Just ignore him."

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Aleph Null posted:

David is still sick. He's just so much batter than he was with the Shadow King out of his head. We have no idea the extents of his illness or his powers.

Out of curiosity I looked up the Legion entry on Wikipedia to learn more about the character and the second sentence in the intro paragraph covers this. I won't say more than that but I don't think it ruined anything for me after completing the first season without previously knowing anything about the character. It'll be interesting where things go in the second season

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Is it possible that Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement just rode off into the sunset? Or is the next season going to be the team going after Oliver in addition to dealing with the ball thingie?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

The entire point of the show is to confuse you in terms of time and place. There's a 70s aesthetic but then you see tablets, they are driving on the right side of the car but also the right side of the road. I assumed they are in the US but you can't really even assume that, the whole point is to just make you feel displaced, like David is.

Further confusing things, he took off in a Nissan President, a luxury sedan generally only available in Japan and SE Asia from 1965-2010. So much geo-chronological confusion in one little sequence, it's amazing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's still America, not that confusing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vegetable posted:

It's still America, not that confusing.

You base that on?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

flosofl posted:

You base that on?

Oliver being the only person with a non-American accent? Still. Could just be a narrative convention and not how they actually sound or are supposed to sound. Who says they are even speaking English at all?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

flosofl posted:

You base that on?

I think you can purely base it on Division 13 or 19 or whatever they were called.

...though I suppose they could be working internationally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cjg posted:

Is it possible that Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement just rode off into the sunset? Or is the next season going to be the team going after Oliver in addition to dealing with the ball thingie?

At the very least Melanie is going to want to look for Oliver and you assume David would feel some responsibility for SK being out there in him. Plus I assume the show runners want to keep Plaza on board after the strong response to her performance. My guess is they won't be a main part of the show all season but will pop back up mid way through the season or so.

You know, after they deal with that whole Pokemon thing.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

You know, after they deal with that whole Pokemon thing.

"Gotta catch them all. All the mutants" Combining Pokemon and X-Men 2 dialogue.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

double negative posted:

Someone needs to take that gun away from Ptonomy

This is precisely what I took away from the finale. I am an admitted gun guy and he annoys the gently caress out of me. What exactly was he looking to accomplish?

Anyone else get sad when right after Oliver remembers who his wife is, he is abducted/possessed?

EdBlackadder posted:

It broke my heart that they timed out for the moment he remembered Melanie.

Glad I am not alone. I am a big softy.

Hughmoris posted:

For the longest time I thought Javier Bardem and Jeffrey Dean Morgan were the same person.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89QyxIPxD4

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 8, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I thought that was an intentional subversion, the Eye was an amoral attack dog and the fact that he had powers was kinda immaterial to that, that just made him more useful to his superiors. Meanwhile his working partner who doesn't have powers is a family man who believes in the cause and can be swayed by reason, despite being flash-fried by his enemies.

Just finished the season and I have to say the 10 minutes of his origin story was perhaps the greatest entrance for a baddy\gray-character I have ever seen. It humanized him completely.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Why don't they free the psychiatrist in episode 5?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in? Every time I ask or search, the answer is either "it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s." Yet David's sister asks if she can e-mail her husband, which places it in the late 90s at a minimum. What do you folks think?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in? Every time I ask or search, the answer is either "it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s." Yet David's sister asks if she can e-mail her husband, which places it in the late 90s at a minimum. What do you folks think?

DaveKap posted:

"it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s."

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

DaveKap posted:

Honestly I think it's sometime between the last wolverine movie and the last x men movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DaveKap posted:

The same year Archer is set in

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Henchman of Santa posted:

The same year Archer is set in

Which of course is post Kenny Loggins' Danger Zone release, so

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lrosBEW-Q

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The movie taught me that The Rock is really good singer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

flosofl posted:

The movie taught me that The Rock is really good singer.

He has certainly improved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwReSCGL3ss

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Bowie strikes again.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Megaspel posted:

Honestly I think it's sometime between the last wolverine movie and the last x men movie.

You think It's somewhere between Logan and Apocalypse? Why? (Guessing you mean the reverse, but I understood your meaning.)

Ultimately, yeah, the answer is it doesn't really matter for now, and it's supposed to make you feel out of place and uncomfortable like characters on the show are feeling.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Longbaugh01 posted:

You think It's somewhere between Logan and Apocalypse? Why? (Guessing you mean the reverse, but I understood your meaning.)

Ultimately, yeah, the answer is it doesn't really matter for now, and it's supposed to make you feel out of place and uncomfortable like characters on the show are feeling.

I forgot Apocalypse was set a bit in the past, I just meant I think it's near future, definitely before Logan where all the mutants are extinct or whatever. I'm not sure how much the Marvel TV series tie into the canon of the movies, traditionally they haven't linked them too much, remember agents of whatever being dismissed as a dead man's dream.

Longbaugh01 posted:

None of them connect because everything X-Men related is not in the MCU.

Oh yeah gently caress, completely forgot. I mean at least the Logan movie is sorta based on the Marvel comic, so it might have relevance? They have so many alternate futures though, it probably doesn't matter. Either way, it still seems pretty near-future to me, but the points everyone else raised about it just supposed to make you feel lost etc are all very probably true also.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Megaspel posted:

I forgot Apocalypse was set a bit in the past, I just meant I think it's near future, definitely before Logan where all the mutants are extinct or whatever. I'm not sure how much the Marvel TV series tie into the canon of the movies, traditionally they haven't linked them too much, remember agents of whatever being dismissed as a dead man's dream.

None of them connect because everything X-Men related is not in the MCU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the X-Men franchise is a weird thing because it started back during the last "era" of comic films before "continuity" and "shared universes" became a thing but they've kept it going where the movies are all connected but none of their continuity makes sense because that was never the plan.

So my take on whether Legion connects to the films and where is basically "I don't know, who loving cares?"

And I kind of wonder if the ambiguity in the show's time or place is at least meant to tell you not to give a gently caress.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Megaspel posted:

I'm not sure how much the Marvel TV series tie into the canon of the movies, traditionally they haven't linked them too much, remember agents of whatever being dismissed as a dead man's dream.
Where was that? Agents of Shield is tied into the movies decently well, in that they'll meander around to have "twists" happen concurrently on the show and movie release. The Hydra flip was timed to Cap 2's release, Fury supposedly gets the extra hover carrier for the Ultron ending from events in the show. At least one character (Sif) has been in the movies, in the show, then back in the movies. One of the backdrops for a MCU Netflix show is a greedy developer taking advantage of the parts of NYC leveled during Avengers 1.

Don't get me wrong, the movies generally have enough to worry about without tying in the shows, but they're not completely written off.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Where was that? Agents of Shield is tied into the movies decently well, in that they'll meander around to have "twists" happen concurrently on the show and movie release. The Hydra flip was timed to Cap 2's release, Fury supposedly gets the extra hover carrier for the Ultron ending from events in the show. At least one character (Sif) has been in the movies, in the show, then back in the movies. One of the backdrops for a MCU Netflix show is a greedy developer taking advantage of the parts of NYC leveled during Avengers 1.

Don't get me wrong, the movies generally have enough to worry about without tying in the shows, but they're not completely written off.

I think I may have read an article a while ago that could have misinterpreted Joss Whedon joking about Agents of Shield being a fever dream right before the captain dude's death.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's not uncommon, someone higher than Joss (I wanna say Kevin Feig?) is super-opposed to Coulson coming back into the movies.

To tie it back to the show, I made the mistake of looking at imdb after the first episode, and I'm really glad that it lied to me about episode counts. I was trying to remember what other marvel property the Interrogator was in (Fantastic 4, Dr. Doom's assistant), it had episode counts for several major characters. He was listed in 1, so I was certain he was dead. Aubrey Plaza was listed in 3 episodes, so I genuinely thought she'd fade away after her death at Clockwerks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just for the record, I'm not asking where Legion lies in the "universe" of X-Men or MCU or whatever. It's already been stated that the show is its own standalone thing, unrelated to what anyone else is doing, even if Patty Stew wants to get in on it. I just merely wanted to know what year it's supposed to take place in so I could set my expectations as to what kinds of technology are supposed to exist. The last thing a story as good as Legion needs is an accidental deus ex machina by literal machina that we didn't know existed because we were being hidden from what year it is. That said, apparently the whole thing was written for modern day 2017, while the aesthetic choices came later, so I think I'll just stick with that.

Which means Gemaine's actually been iced for 50 years, not 20.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 13, 2017

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

JawnV6 posted:

This is true but it's usually the tv show being influenced by the movies and not the other way around.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DaveKap posted:

I just merely wanted to know what year it's supposed to take place in so I could set my expectations as to what kinds of technology are supposed to exist.
I don't see how that's useful though. The producers are deliberately skewing through a few aesthetics, like it's a deliberate choice to muddle up the "when" based on those sort of context clues. Someone posted an article upthread. Would it be massively different if they'd said "Can't use normie cell phones only spacephones, or D3 will track them" versus just never bringing one up?

Bit of a tangent, but the show Leverage did a DB Cooper episode. I was reading the show runner's blog, apparently the costume department found photos from the event and made the flight attendant's uniforms from scratch based on them, down to the white boots.

DaveKap posted:

Which means Gemaine's actually been iced for 50 years, not 20.
Why? The in-universe characters say the exact time he's been under, there's no need for speculation or guesswork based on his habits or dress. Furthermore, given that he's completely forgotten his marriage, it might be fair to say that he's regressed back to some happier time in his life. How unreasonable would it be for an average Dad isolated in the Astral plane to relive his college years when the music made sense and the bra might never come back?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JawnV6 posted:

It's not uncommon, someone higher than Joss (I wanna say Kevin Feig?) is super-opposed to Coulson coming back into the movies.

Word on the street is that it's entirely Ike Perlmutter being a petty douche. Keep in mind, though, that Perlmutter makes a convenient fall guy for anyone and anything because if you're even halfway familiar with what goes on behind the scenes at Marvel, your reflexive response to hearing that name is most likely "gently caress IKE PERLMUTTER."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

I don't see how that's useful though. The producers are deliberately skewing through a few aesthetics, like it's a deliberate choice to muddle up the "when" based on those sort of context clues. Someone posted an article upthread. Would it be massively different if they'd said "Can't use normie cell phones only spacephones, or D3 will track them" versus just never bringing one up?

Bit of a tangent, but the show Leverage did a DB Cooper episode. I was reading the show runner's blog, apparently the costume department found photos from the event and made the flight attendant's uniforms from scratch based on them, down to the white boots.

Why? The in-universe characters say the exact time he's been under, there's no need for speculation or guesswork based on his habits or dress. Furthermore, given that he's completely forgotten his marriage, it might be fair to say that he's regressed back to some happier time in his life. How unreasonable would it be for an average Dad isolated in the Astral plane to relive his college years when the music made sense and the bra might never come back?

Yeah, the "when" or "where" don't really matter at all outside of some vague similarities. What matters is that it worked to make a really cool, visually satisfying setting for this show to take place in.