Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

After the war the members of unit 731 went on to have prominent positions in society. We hired a few too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Japan also neglects to lose a single word about Unit 731 during primary education.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Didn't one of the dudes from 731 continue on to be a practicing doctor that still conducted hosed up experiments?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Possibly. Almost all of them continued to be practicing doctors. The few who didn't stopped practicing because they moved into senior management.

Also it wasn't just unit 731 doing that stuff. Practicing vivisections and amputations on live captives may have been routine in several theaters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2006/nov/27/secondworldwar.japan

Very few doctors in the Japanese military at the time spoke out about what they did so there's a lot of unknowns.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 11, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

Didn't one of the dudes from 731 continue on to be a practicing doctor that still conducted hosed up experiments?

The guy who headed their operation ended up getting immunity at the end of the war and was brought on to advise at Ft. Detrick for a while. The Soviets wanted him and his team dead, but we were trying to get our bugs & poison program off to a strong start, so...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Guess whose first reaction to that dude getting dragged off a plane was a hearty chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bw_GPI0_do

Speaking of ol' Bill, how does he still have a show?
Or is the United clusterfuck and the Syrian missile strike exactly what's keeping him on television due to the distraction?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's a bunch of literature out there about it, but if you want a decent overview just read the wiki article on Unit 731 and follow the various links. The Japanese did some poo poo that made Mengele look tame.

Oh yea I knew about all that poo poo, and how hosed up they were in China, I just didn't realise it got to loving "dumping plague on people" levels

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No, the choice was for United to deadhead their crew with another airline. They do this all the time without a need to bump paying passengers.
They could re book passengers with another airline too, but apparently the reason no one went for that even with an $800 sweetener was that there were no more flights to the destination for many hours, which brings us back to getting the crew there.

E: beaten

hobbesmaster posted:

The next United flight didn't leave SDF for about 12 hours though and that was actually a different express carrier (TSA vs Republic).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh yea I knew about all that poo poo, and how hosed up they were in China, I just didn't realise it got to loving "dumping plague on people" levels

In ceramic pots that they kicked out of airplanes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They probably could have gotten someone to volunteer to fly out 12 hours later or tomorrow if they paid over 800 but instead they're going to eat poo poo for a billion in market cap and pay tens of millions in ineffective advertising to try to convince people they're not bad.

Whoever made the 800 maximum payout policy probably got a bonus for such a great cost saving idea.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
There's a lot of conflicting information out there (how much was being offered, and in what form, etc), but I heard it wasn't cash, it was vouchers for future travel and an $800 voucher for future travel isn't particularly enticing to me. It's probably got all kinds of bullshit rules going along with it.

"$800 voucher towards another flight*

*provided you're flying to Branson, MO. Voucher expires 37 days after being issued"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It took Spicey five tries to get it right.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/851921578870833152

https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/851921506632318976

He will now be yelled at by Donnie for apologizing.

Wow, this question: https://twitter.com/JamieMcCarty/status/851921791404490752

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 11, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

*provided you're flying to Branson, MO. Voucher expires 37 days after being issued"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt4Ly9_9Qg

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The United staff chose the path of most resistance here so gently caress em.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

They could re book passengers with another airline too, but apparently the reason no one went for that even with an $800 sweetener was that there were no more flights to the destination for many hours, which brings us back to getting the crew there.

E: beaten

SDF is Louisville, he's saying that there wasn't another flight going out from their destination that they could have been the crew of until 6:30 monday morning. Which is true but rest rules or something probably.

I'm really enjoying watching the chickens come home to roost re: cobranding with fly-by-night regional airlines

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/851923287370342400

You don't say?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Is Spicer gunning for a job at United or something?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm really enjoying watching the chickens come home to roost re: cobranding with fly-by-night regional airlines

In this we are in full agreement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I fly a ton, but I live next to a major Southwest hub so I only deal with regional airlines when I'm taking a connecting flight to JFK or something. Haven't really ever had issues with Southwest, either.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Most of my recent international flights between Arizona and Germany have been "Air France (operated by Delta)", which means "literally nothing is Air France, and random units of our entertainment system will not be functional. Our stewardesses give zero fucks when looking at the mirror in the morning, but the drinks are free, enjoy your flight".

The only times when I've had lovely experiences with airlines outside of US-operated ones was back when we lived in South Africa and had small-time intra-continental flights.

I never understood the ongoing "lol airlines treat humans like poo poo" joke I had heard so long until I actually flew with US airlines. Not treating customers like poo poo shouldn't be that hard, especially in a competitive environment with crappy margins.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

They probably could have gotten someone to volunteer to fly out 12 hours later or tomorrow if they paid over 800 but instead they're going to eat poo poo for a billion in market cap and pay tens of millions in ineffective advertising to try to convince people they're not bad.

Whoever made the 800 maximum payout policy probably got a bonus for such a great cost saving idea.

United gets to eat a billion in market cap because Republic didn't want to pay.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 11, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Most of my recent international flights between Arizona and Germany have been "Air France (operated by Delta)", which means "literally nothing is Air France, and random units of our entertainment system will not be functional. Our stewardesses give zero fucks when looking at the mirror in the morning, but the drinks are free, enjoy your flight".

The only times when I've had lovely experiences with airlines outside of US-operated ones was back when we lived in South Africa and had small-time intra-continental flights.

I never understood the ongoing "lol airlines treat humans like poo poo" joke I had heard so long until I actually flew with US airlines. Not treating customers like poo poo shouldn't be that hard, especially in a competitive environment with crappy margins.

It depends on the route, really. I'm taking an American Airlines-marketed British Airways flight this Friday, which is indeed a 787 owned and operated by BA. I'm taking another one in a few months that's going to be an American owned and operated jet. All of my Delta flights overseas have been nice as poo poo, although they've all been business class so that's not exactly a good indicator of how conditions are in steerage.

gently caress US Airways and Continental forever, though. It should be no surprise that they were both bought by none other than United Airlines.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Airfare consumers would consent to being shackled and pissed on if it led to a $5 lower ticket price. The Virgin America model was "what if we try to make it a good experience, while changing only slightly more than cattle cars" and they ate poo poo (RIP). Airline regulation is very much a case of saving people from themselves.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Re: chemical weapons in WW2, the military history thread in a/t recently discussed it briefly. Probably working ten pages of the current page

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren:

WaPo is saying that back to last summer, the FBI had a FISA warrant to monitor that doofus/moron Carter Page that was on Trump's campaign for a while.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/851936962533629952

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

facialimpediment posted:

:siren:

WaPo is saying that back to last summer, the FBI had a FISA warrant to monitor that doofus/moron Carter Page that was on Trump's campaign for a while.

Hmm...

quote:

Since the 90-day warrant was first issued, it has been renewed more than once by the FISA court, the officials said.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

psydude posted:

gently caress US Airways and Continental forever, though. It should be no surprise that they were both bought by none other than United Airlines.

US Airways was actually bought by American, which is only notable in that American lets active military check a bunch of bags for free and board before everyone else.

Thus, they always have my business.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Most airlines do that if you have a CAC, usually 2 on personal travel and 4 on official.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arc Light posted:

US Airways was actually bought by American, which is only notable in that American lets active military check a bunch of bags for free and board before everyone else.

Thus, they always have my business.

Ah, for some reason I thought United gobbled them both up. Southwest does the same thing, except they allow 2 checked bags for free. For everyone.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I try not to fly American because they support the troops.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm the goober E-2 on my flight home from AIT being hailed as a hero

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nunes isn't getting let off the hook that easy.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/851949576005267456

CNN has Republicans and Democrats contradicting what Nunes was saying in public about the dumb wiretap bullshit.

quote:

Washington (CNN)After a review of the same intelligence reports brought to light by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes, both Republican and Democratic lawmakers and aides have so far found no evidence that Obama administration officials did anything unusual or illegal, multiple sources in both parties tell CNN.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

At least he didn't lay a wreath at a Nazi cemetery.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

I try not to fly American because they support the troops.

To clarify, I sure as poo poo don't travel in uniform. I just like boarding early and taking the best overhead baggage space.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Southwest is great if you fly purely domestic and need to go to trash tier cities for business. Their rewards program is nice and the companion ticket you get is very handy/clutch to fly the miss or mister in your life out with you

I stack all my flights on American though because they do 1:1 point transfers with their associates I dump all my FF points into international travel like SA or Europe. LAN and British Airways respectively I believe.

I don't gently caress with Delta because they seem to have way to many connections for what should be non-stop regional hops and the position of my home Airport means EVERYTHING routes through ATL and connects to some other Delta flight. The ATL airport is the worst loving poo poo show of an airport, although O'hare and MIA are close.

I've flown United twice and have no strong feelings on it either way....it was nice i guess?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
In case you weren't convinced we live in the worst timeline.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...ontent=20170411

Edit:^^^ I travel for work a lot, but luckily I only have to fly a couple times a year. I mostly fly Southwest, but I occasionally have to go to more "rural" destinations and I have to take Delta or whatever. Corporate policy dictates flying the cheapest available option, so on this trip it was United, but they have been better than Delta at least.

I do have to say that I'll probably try to boycott them in the future, but odds are I'm going to forget about it in a week or two.

Inaction is the best action!

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 12, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/851948313960218624
https://twitter.com/realalexrubi/status/851913991215624193

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

There's some good poo poo about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#Nazi_Germany

Basically came down to fear of retaliation and the German armies' reliance on horses. There also was apparently one attack on soviets using gas

I had no idea about Japan using weaponised plague though, that's fuckin next level even for them.
In a way, this bolsters the White House's argument: baddies will get away with gas if they don't worry about retaliation. But the White House has totally hosed this up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

You know Japan tried to burn the USA down right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

They launched a bunch of these (over 9000!) with the intent of starting huge fires. I think 1 person was actually killed by them.

• Locked thread