Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Josef bugman posted:

Is that like the Hitler building? Because I have heard that the restaurant there is fantastic.

That's not the Hitler building, that's the Tel Aviv Museum of Art.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...555!4d34.786749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/851923287370342400

lmao he can't stop

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's not like impossible to parse twitter screenshots but it sure is a pain in the dick, relatively speaking

I hope the layout designer for that pays for his or her grave sins

Sorta reminds me of reddit's thread organization layout, where everything gets all muddled and weird and becomes its own isolated mini thread

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Apr 11, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

KingSlime posted:

It's not like impossible to parse twitter screenshots but it sure is a pain in the dick, relatively speaking

Sorta reminds me of reddit's thread organization layout, where everything gets all muddled and weird and becomes its own isolated mini thread
search functions? what is this wizardry - KingSlime, probably.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/834235189656068096

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
It turns out hiding antisemitic and anti-christian messages in a comic and then bragging about it on Facebook can get you fired.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/08/marvel-artist-ardian-syaf-hid-anti-christian-jewish-messages-weeks-x-men-comic/

quote:

Marvel Artist Ardian Syaf Hid Anti-Christian And Jewish Messages In This Week’s X-Men Comic

In Indonesia, 212 is the number used to denote a specific mass protest from 2nd December last year. Hundreds of thousands of Muslims marched against the Christian governor of Jakarta, Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, known as Ahok,, over allegations of blasphemy regarding his use of the Qu’ran in campaigning against opponents. The march was organised, in part, with the National Movement to Safeguard the Indonesian Ulema Council’s Fatwa. It was pretty hardline conservative and the protest demanded the government prosecute and jail Ahok based on the council’s fatwa, declaring him to be a blasphemer. This year, a 212 2.0 march with similar aims was held on the 21st of February.

Ahok caused a great deal of controversy in Indonesia after he referred to a verse in the Qur’an while campaigning, specifically the verse Al Maidah 5: 51 and said that people should not believe Islamic leaders who claim it forbids Muslims from being led by non-Muslims. He has since repeatedly apologised for his statements, but it hasn’t stemmed the protest.

The verse translates into English as “O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are, in fact, allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is one of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.”

A more common Indonesian translation of the verse, however, states that “Muslims should not appoint the Jews and Christians as their leader”. So. What has this to do with comic books?

The number 212 and 51 appears in a scene of X-Men Gold #1 by Indonesian artist Ardian Syaf, published last Wednesday, with comic book character Kitty Pryde addressing the crowd. Let’s zoom in.

That would be the Jewish character Kitty Pryde, in a scene talking about being the new leader of the X-Men.

The X-Men were created in the sixties by Jewish creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, in a comic written by Marc Guggenheim, raised Jewish.

Later in the comic, on Colossus’ shirt, we see the letters and numbers QS 5:51 referring to that verse. QS stands for Qur’an Surah, with Surah meaning chapter.

Colossus is playing alongside Christian character Kurt Wagner, Nightcrawler. Ardian posted the original art image to the first on Facebook, to his Indonesian followers.

It appears that Ardian added the messages to the comic after coming home from being on the march himself. Some of his readers objected to their use in such a comic book.

In previous works, Ardian Syaf has hidden political figures in the background – an issue of Batgirl featured mention of President of Indonesia, Joko Widodo, popularly known as Jokowi, who was the previous governor of Jakarta (or DKI as it is also known).

When that was posted, Ardian mentioned that no one had made a fuss.

But too late – the message has escaped onto social media.

It wouldn’t be the first time comic book creators have snuck messages into comic books. Ethan Van Sciver a whole issue of New X-Men hiding the word “Sex” in the background. Al Milgrom lettered a mocking message into a comic when Marvel EIC Bob Harras was fired. And there was the time a production artist drew a penis on Bucky in classic Captain America archive reprints. But conservative Islamic hate speech references? This may be a new challenge for Marvel to deal with in such difficult times for the publisher.

Neither Ardian Syaf nor Marvel representatives replied to inquiries made earlier today

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...ill-still-ship/

quote:

Following a post on Facebook yesterday declaring that “my career is over now” by Indonesian artist Ardian Syaf, Marvel has released a statement confirming they have officially terminated Syaf for the controversial hidden messages he included in X-Men Gold #

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

KingSlime posted:

I agree

pay no mind to anime avatar haver Elizabethan Error

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reddit’s thread layout only gets really obnoxious after multiple dozen comments.

Twitter’s is terrible with just three.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Ah yes the ol' local Holocaust Center. Thought I'd pop down to the local Holocaust Center and pick up some supplies. I heard two towns over is getting one of those Super Holocaust Centers with a butcher shop and everything.

Why not just buy in bulk at Caustco?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Elizabethan Error posted:

yah right? That clearly displayed date and time, why does twitter make it so hard to nail down??

That screenshot shows two tweets with times in different formats and one tweet with no time info at all nested inside of an entry that references it. I think.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't have the heart to explain to him that "well I can understand it so" =/= effective web design and layout practices

It's probably the millionth time this point is raised when someone claims that twitter layout is cool and good

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Spicer is like, the main guy who talks to the press, right? How is he so bad at talking?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that Donald Trump would have to be his own press secretary because no one else shared his gift with the media, but no, he found someone who was just as good at sticking his foot in his mouth.

Incredible.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I bet United Airlines is dancing a loving jig over Spicer right now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I thought that Donald Trump would have to be his own press secretary because no one else shared his gift with the media, but no, he found someone who was just as good at sticking his foot in his mouth.

Incredible.

I mean we've been arguing for decades that really dumb and greedy rich white dudes shouldn't have so much power but here we are

E: replace dumb with shortsighted if you want to give em the benefit of the doubt (I do not)

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Apr 12, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Spicer is like, the main guy who talks to the press, right? How is he so bad at talking?

Have you seen what he has to talk about. This is actually doing a good job.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Trump gave all the positions to his personal friends, Spicer is likely the least worst of them all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingSlime posted:

I mean we've been arguing for decades that really dumb and greedy rich white dudes shouldn't have so much power but here we are

The dumb greedy ones are definitely not the rich white guys you want in power.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Subjunctive posted:

The dumb greedy ones are definitely not the rich white guys you want in power.

sovereign citizens?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Klaus Kinski posted:

sovereign citizens?

Heirs

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

You don't necessarily need something anything to be greedy.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

SpacePig posted:

Hey now, it's not as racist as you think!

Why do people caught up in stories like this even talk to news outlets at all? Has it ever helped anyone that's done a thing like this?

An old favorite. If you knew you were a Library Masturbator, and a News Man approached you to talk about the library, wouldn't you make every excuse possible to NOT talk to him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GniNLLNBRM4

I love that special, "THANK you. I appreciate that".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Flyball posted:

At least he's not a furry (that we know of).

Klaus Kinski posted:

sovereign citizens?

Uh well....

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/851666150991708160

Edit: Dammit, beaten on the last page. Sorry goons.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Apr 12, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

im a wereshitposter

We're all aware you are a shitposter

:haw:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apart from the ridiculousness of asserting Hitler didn't use chemical weapons on "his own people", I don't know if the US is the best country to talk about its ethical use of weapons in world war 2, considering they dropped two nuclear bombs killing 200.000 civillians.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Apart from the ridiculousness of asserting Hitler didn't use chemical weapons on "his own people", I don't know if the US is the best country to talk about its ethical use of weapons in world war 2, considering they dropped two nuclear bombs killing 200.000 civillians.

And a whole lot of chemical weapons on vietnam.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
If you think about it, aren't all bombs chemical weapons?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CerealCrunch posted:

If you think about it, aren't all bombs chemical weapons?

Then so are bullets and knives?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oh god, not another airplane derail.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh god, not another airplane derail.

airplanes can't derail, that's what trains do dummy

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PoaDD4FNtI

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So uh he's doubling down and saying all those german jews and german rroma and german communists and german mentally and physically disabled people and german trade unionists and german gay people that got gassed weren't "fellow Germans"? :stare:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

airplanes can't derail, that's what trains do dummy

What if the aeroplane is on a treadmill that is mounted on train tracks

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
E: Nevermind

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

<redacted>

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

ekuNNN posted:

So uh he's doubling down and saying all those german jews and german rroma and german communists and german mentally and physically disabled people and german trade unionists and german gay people that got gassed weren't "fellow Germans"? :stare:

That can't be real

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Fun fact: trains plow through cars at crossings so routinely that they don't even bother doing a drug or alcohol test on the train driver. Your average train engineer will have something like four fatal crossing accidents in their career. They used to not even get time off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ekuNNN posted: