Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are Magic Pots in dailies special? Had one go "Feeling Lucky?" becuase I was moving too slow and then kill someone so I didn't bother investigating further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are Magic Pots in dailies special? Had one go "Feeling Lucky?" becuase I was moving too slow and then kill someone so I didn't bother investigating further.

Currently the Magic Pots mean you have a chance of getting a Major Orb. Once the daily update rolls through seeing one means you'll be guaranteed a major orb for killing it.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Right now they drop a guaranteed at least Greater with a chance of a Major

e:fb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm getting used to mage and hybrid teams.

I discovered that I can use RW wall, OK for Full Break, Quistis for other breakdowns, and Agrias for Cleansing Strike. Slot in Protectga and Shellga on Yuna and Agrias, and we're set on mitigation.

Furthermore I discovered that my free SB gauge RMs are OK BSB and Yuna BSB2. Two stacking mag buffs along with hastega and Yuna's simultaneous summon damage and healing. It's pretty darn good.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Holy poo poo, orlandeau is broken as gently caress. He doesn't even need powerchain once he gets his rm3. He is absolutely broken. I never even realized his bsb had long cast time full charge-esq level damage.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sprite141 posted:

Holy poo poo, orlandeau is broken as gently caress. He doesn't even need powerchain once he gets his rm3. He is absolutely broken. I never even realized his bsb had long cast time full charge-esq level damage.

How long goes TG mode last though? Unless you're hitting a weakness with an ability, it'll take a while to get his SB gauge up.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Conveniently it lasts a long time and he can hit literally every element

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

1st AD posted:

How long goes TG mode last though? Unless you're hitting a weakness with an ability, it'll take a while to get his SB gauge up.
It's 25 seconds of game time, same as wall and other buffs. Lifesiphon gives 30% gauge per use.

When I used Orlandeau with just BSB I still preferred Ace Striker/Battleforged; Lifesiphon -> Lifesiphon -> Powerchain -> BSB was my sequence, then Powerchain -> command 1. Related: Gathering Storm is my choice healer RM

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

For whatever reason, TG Cid's weapon hasn't felt as big as a must have for me as the other big ticket items (Raines, OK BSB). I guess OSBs in general don't really excite me even though his is obviously at a level above the others.

Downing Nemesis with my OK sans BSB (but using his OSB) made me want his burst even more. I probably joined this game at a completely spoiled era, but it really feels odd using characters without BSBs and having to rely on their abilities. F it, I might've just convinced myself to do one pull on banner III-2.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

5/11 Half Price Draw

Vayne BSB (dark boost... fist...)
Basch Super
Penelo Super(holy boost rod for Vanille!)
Balthier Super Gun
Balthier Super Armor (fire boost)

Pretty eh for me but a holy boost rod is cool and Basch's sword is my first ff12 sword, huzzah synergy!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
A dark+ fist is a little weird, but there are a few people who can make use of it. Raines, Jecht and Gabranth (and Reno, Reynn, Rubicante, Tyro RW-ing Raines BSB) will benefit the most from it with their dark SBs and Darkness access, and Thancred, Edge, Lion and Yuffie might like it for Ninja Magic.

The equal ATK/MAG on the fist means Onion will like it on a hybrid team for something like Magic Damage/Physical Support.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sprite141 posted:

Using his RM3 instead of something to boost holy/sword damage, or Ace Striker to let him fire off his OSB more often, is a bit of a waste. If you have his OSB and OSB run Ace Striker and bring Lifesiphon. Hit 3-4 lifesiphons then powerchain his OSB, follow up with his BSB, and just CMD1 murder the sweet jesus out of whatever you're fighting, firing off another OSB when burst mode ends (and TG Mode will still be up, IIRC).

Or give someone like Tyro Wrath and Entrust, along with battleforged/ace striker, so they can feed SB gauge to Orlandu to fire off 4-5 OSBs in a row a few rounds in to the fight. :getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Using his RM3 instead of something to boost holy/sword damage, or Ace Striker to let him fire off his OSB more often, is a bit of a waste. If you have his OSB and OSB run Ace Striker and bring Lifesiphon. Hit 3-4 lifesiphons then powerchain his OSB, follow up with his BSB, and just CMD1 murder the sweet jesus out of whatever you're fighting, firing off another OSB when burst mode ends (and TG Mode will still be up, IIRC).

Or give someone like Tyro Wrath and Entrust, along with battleforged/ace striker, so they can feed SB gauge to Orlandu to fire off 4-5 OSBs in a row a few rounds in to the fight. :getin:

If I put Powerchain on Orlandeau, do I even need it honed? With how absurdly fast he acts after the first time it seems unnecessary, as long as I can keep him going.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 11, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was kind of interesting because a while back there was a big mathematics dump of each and every physical burst (and overstrike?) soul break and their relative dps worked out to an incredibly specific degree and orlandeau's burst squarely fell in the in the middle of the pack because the longer charge times involved balanced out the amount of damage it did almost exactly.

but from what i remember the guy didn't bother to calculate how well the thing fared if you had thunder mode going which seems like a weird oversight on his part

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

it was kind of interesting because a while back there was a big mathematics dump of each and every physical burst (and overstrike?) soul break and their relative dps worked out to an incredibly specific degree and orlandeau's burst squarely fell in the in the middle of the pack because the longer charge times involved balanced out the amount of damage it did almost exactly.

but from what i remember the guy didn't bother to calculate how well the thing fared if you had thunder mode going which seems like a weird oversight on his part

Here is the big math dump on physical BSBs and mage BSBs if anyone was interested.

He does take Thunder God into account, but with the tl;dr of "if you have TG mode from his OSB you're better off spamming that than his burst". He doesn't take the RM3 into account though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like taking Thunder God as an RW and having my own Cid do it five times in a row.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lets see...

TGCid OSB/BSB
Agrias BSB
Ramza BSB/Shout/Chant
Mustadio Pentabreak + debuffs
Eiko BSB (or Ovelia with SSBs if I want to go for the CM)

I think I"m ready to make this torment my bitch

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

Combo posted:

Lets see...

TGCid OSB/BSB
Agrias BSB
Ramza BSB/Shout/Chant
Mustadio Pentabreak + debuffs
Eiko BSB (or Ovelia with SSBs if I want to go for the CM)

I think I"m ready to make this torment my bitch

I did TGCid/Agrias/Ramza/Onion/Vanille and absolutely stomped him; first time I've ever wanted to try the 250 difficulty Torment. Powerchaining into 3 Thunder Gods in a row with VoF and Shout both running, on a holy-weak boss that I had hit with a holy imperil, with full realm synergy was satisfying as fuuuuuuuuuck. Especially given how much trouble I always have with the Belias fight in the real FFT.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Err, am I missing something or did they forget to bring back all the other Torment dungeons? I see the new one, but not the old ones, and the announcement says they are all supposed to be back.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Stopgap posted:

I did TGCid/Agrias/Ramza/Onion/Vanille and absolutely stomped him; first time I've ever wanted to try the 250 difficulty Torment. Powerchaining into 3 Thunder Gods in a row with VoF and Shout both running, on a holy-weak boss that I had hit with a holy imperil, with full realm synergy was satisfying as fuuuuuuuuuck. Especially given how much trouble I always have with the Belias fight in the real FFT.

I seriously just murdered him in 3 rounds. I know it was 3 rounds because when I got to the actual boss fight Agrias had 3 bars for 3 BSBs and I didn't even get to use the 3rd one. Had shout up, had eiko crit fix up, two agrias BSBs, two Cid OSBs, two pentabreaks, one Ramza BSB when i saw they were basically dead and I just needed one smidge of aoe to finish them off.

Waiting on Stamina for the d250. Then later this week I'll egg Ovelia up since she's only in her 50s and do the CM because it will probably take at most 2 more rounds without a crit fix with my current team.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

First time I was able to do a Torment CM. Used Agrias's En-Holy SSB in round 4, then nuked Belias with Agrias's OSB to deal 99999 three times in a row. Done.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Man, it's so since to be a 1 percenter on this for a change. This was nowhere near my struggle to beat Gi Nattak CM without wind gear. I have Cid's OSB, and the only issue I have with him is that he's not doing the damage that Agrias is doing with her OSB. Just charge up meter on the trash, and wreck Belias's poo poo before he can do anything. By far the easiest Torment (given my gear) and far easier than fighting him in Tactics, certainly. Also, it's the first Torment where I had native Hastega.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Err, am I missing something or did they forget to bring back all the other Torment dungeons? I see the new one, but not the old ones, and the announcement says they are all supposed to be back.

Unlike the Mote Dungeons, the Torments do not all come back at the same time. They rotate in cycles, though I can guarantee you'll get at least a shot at all of them once they start bringing in the Full Throttle versions, as those include access to the 200 and 250 versions at the same time.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Torments rotate in cycles in Japan, but the ingame announcement does say all of them should have reopened.

I'd expect the others to open tomorrow or just a quick apology sent out.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I was actually under the impression that there was an FFIII Torment coming up against Bahamut instead of Belias. Is the order different, or am I just mistaken or something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ah ok, yeah it was just the announcement that was throwing me. Now that I've got Tidus' OSB I'm itching to finally kick that X torment boss's rear end so I can finally get some dang thief motes.

How good is Aegis Strike, by the way? I guess it's not like there's anything else to spend these motes on, but I never hear people mention it. I've still got enough Spellblade motes to make another copy of Snowspell Strike, too, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with 2 copies at R1, or shattering the second so I can R2 the other one. I don't have Celes' runic SB, so I feel like having more hones is probably better for me, but I dunno if I'd end up regretting that later if more runic stuff starts popping up.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

How good is Aegis Strike, by the way?

It's notable in that you can shatter it for crystals. Otherwise it doesn't do anything noteworthy

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ah ok, yeah it was just the announcement that was throwing me. Now that I've got Tidus' OSB I'm itching to finally kick that X torment boss's rear end so I can finally get some dang thief motes.

How good is Aegis Strike, by the way? I guess it's not like there's anything else to spend these motes on, but I never hear people mention it. I've still got enough Spellblade motes to make another copy of Snowspell Strike, too, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with 2 copies at R1, or shattering the second so I can R2 the other one. I don't have Celes' runic SB, so I feel like having more hones is probably better for me, but I dunno if I'd end up regretting that later if more runic stuff starts popping up.

My professional opinion on Snowspell Strike is that R2 is the way to go, and I love mine.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sesq posted:

I was actually under the impression that there was an FFIII Torment coming up against Bahamut instead of Belias. Is the order different, or am I just mistaken or something?
If I remember correctly, the Bahamut Torment dropped during Extreme Fest/New Years Events in Japan, which I believe is the only Torment not to release close to an event for the realm. This is about 2-3 months out from us?

Around the same time, D300 Full Throttle was unlocked for previous Torments, and the ATK cap was raised to ~805.

If you're looking at the upcoming CoD banners for the Torment, exploiting it's weakness to Wind is really important as Bahamut spams Curaga and Counter Curagas on himself. To make it even worse, it becomes immune to Reflect in the D300 which makes bursting Wind damage all the more important.

Cid's Missions for the D300/Full Throttle only require three characters from the corresponding realm, which might make any pulling decisions easier, not that I would pull for a CM this far in advance.

The torment after that is XII Mateus, the Lightning weak boss where the XII Reks Event Banners have Ashe as a no show and Fran switching to Ice.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 12, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually like Aegis Strike, but only because I can bypass the lovely damage formula using Holy+ equipment. I default to Saint's Cross though, and only really bring it for fights where AoE is useful.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I only have his osb. With the fast cast times I should be able to skip powerchain, and instead just hit weaknesses to get his sb guage up. But yeah, maybe you're right. Either way he will always have two holy+ items stapled to him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Roland Jones posted:

If I put Powerchain on Orlandeau, do I even need it honed? With how absurdly fast he acts after the first time it seems unnecessary, as long as I can keep him going.

Probably not. Even if you go OSB->BSB->CMD1-OSB I can't imagine much, if anything, will still be alive through all of that unless nobody else in your team can deal decent damage. My default setup is Orlandu/Ramza/Onion Knight/Refia/Y'shtola though so OK deals alright damage while Refia just hulks out with her BSB and Y'shtola tries to keep people alive.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So I have a pretty fun melee team a friend built for me - current goals is getting OK to 99 since I apparently rolled his BSB and it's very good - and replace Celes or Razma with him.

I was also wondering if I had the foundation of a pretty decent mage team. I don't have many hones yet since for a year I mostly auto-ran easy dungeons and didn't notice the game had so much depth.

Do you guys see anything that could make an interesting mage team?

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/miHN

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 12, 2017

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

So I have a pretty fun melee team a friend built for me - current goals is getting OK to 99 since I apparently rolled his BSB and it's very good - and replace Celes or Razma with him.

I was also wondering if I had the foundation of a pretty decent mage team. I don't have many hones yet since for a year I mostly auto-ran easy dungeons and didn't notice the game had so much depth.

Do you guys see anything that could make an interesting mage team?

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/miHN

First of all, Agrias' BSB makes enemies more vulnerable to holy element attacks. Between Cid Raines' BSB(One of the most powerful caster BSBs out there), Celes' BSB, and Minfilia's BSB, you have all the makings of a really good Holy-element team. The only thing really lacking is a Holy element OSB, and there's several of those.

Secondly, between Cloud's OSB, Alphinaud's BSB, And Fang's imperil wind BSB, you have a good set-up for a Wind-focused team.

I'd uh, also like to point out that the SSB you have for Irvine breaks every stat, which boosts the damage for Vaan's OSB. Can't really recommend Irvine though, despite that...

...Wait, you're asking about a good mage team. Whoops. Okay, let me try that again.

OK is a pretty obvious choice here, especially since you have 3 of his soul breaks. Alphinaud is a good choice here too, Deployment Tactics can be invaluable in ++ dungeons and the first command of his BSB removes the delay, like OK's do. Ashe Should be your second choice behind OK. Her BSB increases the power of her lightning attacks including other soul breaks, so use that before her OSB. Y'shtola is pretty obviously your go-to healer with all the soul breaks you have for her. Lastly... For Damage, you'd be best off with Cid Raines. His BSB is, as I said above, absolutely ridiculous. For a more support-type Soul Break, I'd probably suggest Krile and her Sheepsong, or Papalymo and his Ley Lines.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Cador_2004 posted:

...Wait, you're asking about a good mage team. Whoops. Okay, let me try that again.

No need for that "whoops" O_O I appreciate the pre-mage team content as well! That + my current goals for melee-ish team will keep me busy for a while :) Thank you very much.

Would you recommend specific banners to roll on for the future? I know Orlandeau OSB/BSB and the other SBs for Cid Raines seem to be very popular in general.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I loving stomped Belias. I went right for the Cid Mission and got it on the second try. First try had bad RNG and Orlandeau died. Second time I lost Ovelia right before the end but I mastered it anyway.

I might actually try the 250 which I've never even considered before.

Team:
Orlandeau - Gaea Cross, Retaliate, OSB, BSB

Mustadio - Breakdowns and his AoE pentabreak SB

Agrias - Banishing Strike, Protectga, Cleansing Strike

Ramza - Full Break, a Breakdown, Shout

Ovelia - Curaja, Shellga, magic blink healing SB

Gaea Cross and Retaliate were for the trash. Orlandeau had at least one bar by the time I hit Belias, then pentabreak came out and I just ignored the minions while nerfing Belias and squashing him.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
You basically just have core mage meta ready to go, as soon as you get some levels on Raines, Onion Knight and Alphinaud

Cid Raines (BSB) is the highest mage DPS in the game right now, period. His deal is having an entry effect to his soul break, where he gives the entire party +30% Mag/Def. His second command gives him further +30% Mag, with a mild Res penalty. His first command is a 4x hit command with instant action on the next one, so after buffs he can start chaining those super fast. All the while having +60% Mag just from his soul break alone.

Then you have Onion Knight (BSB), who is a party wide +30% Atk/Def buff, which will further buff Raines to +90% Magic. Meanwhile, the Onion Knight burst will also have an 4x hit magical command (the second one) that chains in to even more instant cast commands. And he'll enjoy the same +30% Mag from his burst, and +30% from Raines.

Finally Alphinaud has an entry that buffs his Wind damage by 50%, a 4x hit magical wind command, that also chains in to instant casts. While also gaining those same +60% Mag from the other two.

So grats, you kinda win the mage game already. It'll take a while to get the various skills honed up and ready to go, but those three bursts work great together. All you basically need to do is throw in a support user for Breaks/Breakdowns, and a healer of choice.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

So grats, you kinda win the mage game already. It'll take a while to get the various skills honed up and ready to go, but those three bursts work great together. All you basically need to do is throw in a support user for Breaks/Breakdowns, and a healer of choice.

With that stated, it might be worth looking into trying to pull for Penelo's relics; as a dancer she can handle the breakdowns with her dances, and several of her SBs are AoE heals, which will work great in supplementing your main healer's offense. Larsa is a slightly less effective option there, being a white mage that also happens to have Support 5 (and thus Full Break) access.

I'm actually not sure if anyone else in the game (Tyro aside) has the combination of support and a non-percentile healing SB, and Tyro doesn't count because Healing Grimoire is crud. At the same time, he's also an option, if you manage to snag any of his good relics (Sentinel's Grimoire, Keeper's Tome, Warder's Apocrypha).

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
At what point does stacking magic buffs become overkill? I have Yuna's BSB2, Cid Raines and his BSB, OK and his BSB, and Papalymo with Leylines and his BSB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
While they don't have Full Break/Multi-Break access, you always have the option of Lenna/Rosa/Y'shtola for dances and Breakdowns.

• Locked thread