Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

There would have to be literal revolution (most likely violent) in the US for single-payer to ever happen.

This is probably true for most major reforms in the US at this point.

Edit: are we still doing the fat dog thing?

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

temple posted:

When I read discussions within the democratic party, people present policy as either or. I'm a minority by American standards and I don't believe Democrats are limited to one policy proposal every 10 years. You can racial progress and economic progress. Is there anyone willing to explain why this isn't so?

It is so, but centrists are unable to understand it. There used to be this thing called "political capital" in the 60s and 70s when Republicans and Democrats would trade favors with each other to achieve some level of compromise in enacting policy. The Republicans haven't been willing or able to compromise on anything at all since the Reagan administration, but centrist Democrats are unable to mentally process this fact for some reason. They willingly trade away policy because they assume that at some point they'll be able to cash in their chips and get something they want.

The liberal centrist view of American politics is one where no matter what party occupies the White House, the American government runs by a set of unspoken, meritocratic rules of common decency and respect because of the Strength and Nobility of the Institutions of the United States.

It's complete horseshit fantasy, but if you understand this, a lot of centrist behavior makes more sense. Especially when examining the Obama administration.

Right now, some of the Democratic leadership seems to be starting to understand that they're never going to get what they want. They don't have any specific plan or idea for how to fix the situation, but at least reality seems to be sinking in for (i.e.) Chuck Schumer. Contrast his recent rhetoric with Pelosi's for an example of what I mean.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 10, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

There would have to be literal revolution (most likely violent) in the US for single-payer to ever happen.

Not necessarily. Pretty much every business on the planet not tied to the medical/insurance industries would benefit greatly from it.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

absolutely no Democratic-appointed justice will ever find the federal government lacks the power to do single payer

Bullshit, she would have put in a socially liberal corporate stooge. That is what her whole campaign was.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think we're going to actually invade Syria (or anywhere else for that matter). I mean, there have been plenty of times in the past when the US has stuck to "only" bombing countries.

Yeah I really hope not but the Trump administration doesn't seem to be bound by a lot of conventional politics.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

redneck nazgul posted:

Because they have to offer a middle-ground between what their leftist base wants and what they can actually negotiate out of the Republicans, thus, their proposals become "Either <x> or the Republicans get everything".

Yup. And promising your base that you'll start from a position of compromise is not just a terrible negotiation strategy, it's a terrible election strategy to boot.

Alex Pareene was on "Chapo" last week, and he made the salient point that elected Dems, and especially the party leadership, are so ridiculously, viscerally convinced that their base doesn't approve of left-wing policies. They have a weird compulsion to apologize for what they're pushing from the get-go. Republicans don't ever seem to worry that their base is out-of-step with their right-wing policy proposals.

I kind of wonder how that can be changed, if at all.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It is so, but centrists are unable to understand it. There used to be this thing called "political capital" in the 60s and 70s when Republicans and Democrats would trade favors with each other to achieve some level of compromise in enacting policy. The Republicans haven't been willing or able to compromise on anything at all since the Reagan administration, but centrist Democrats are unable to mentally process this fact for some reason. They willingly trade away policy because they assume that at some point they'll be able to cash in their chips and get something they want.

The liberal centrist view of American politics is one where no matter what party occupies the White House, the American government runs by a set of unspoken, meritocratic rules of common decency and respect because of the Strength and Nobility of the Institutions of the United States.

It's complete horseshit fantasy, but if you understand this, a lot of centrist behavior makes more sense. Especially when examining the Obama administration.

Right now, some of the Democratic leadership seems to be starting to understand that they're never going to get what they want. They don't have any specific plan or idea for how to fix the situation, but at least reality seems to be sinking in for (i.e.) Chuck Schumer. Contrast his recent rhetoric with Pelosi's for an example of what I mean.

In the long run I think Aaron Sorkin has done more damage to American politics by melting the brains of Liberals than all of the race resentment Nixon unleashed on us

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

Alex Pareene was on "Chapo" last week, and he made the salient point that elected Dems, and especially the party leadership, are so ridiculously, viscerally convinced that their base doesn't approve of left-wing policies. They have a weird compulsion to apologize for what they're pushing from the get-go. Republicans don't ever seem to worry that their base is out-of-step with their right-wing policy proposals.

It's because the circles they travel in are the donor class. They aren't out there among the public.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I kind of wonder how that can be changed, if at all.

Primary anyone to the right of Stalin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

KomradeX posted:

In the long run I think Aaron Sorkin has done more damage to American politics by melting the brains of Liberals than all of the race resentment Nixon unleashed on us

I heard them say this on Chapo, but I don't think they were entirely fair. Every generation has its share of tv shows, movies, literature, etc, that unrealistically idealize politics, negotiation, convincing people through the virtues of your argument, etc. "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington," anyone? Hell, the Roman Republic had more than its fair share of stuff like this.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

It's because the circles they travel in are the donor class. They aren't out there among the public.

To some degree, this is true, but there's more to it than just that, I think. I think a lot of politicians are forgetting what era they're in. Politics has always been a corrupt, cynical business, but I think a lot of Republicans have been quicker on the uptake than Democrats that we're living in a particularly nasty age of politically nihilistic tribalism.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 10, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The idea of decency in politics has always been a fantastic lie. In the 1800s a man was beaten with a cane in his office by another Senator while that guy's thug friends stopped anyone from intervening and that Senator became a hero in the South. The fact that modern Democrats live in a fantasy land is pretty much to the detriment of everyone in this country as they don't stand as a reasonable counter to the Republicans which understand that power is meant to be used, not bargained away in order to look fair. They seem to FINALLY be getting it since 2016 couldn't be written off or ignored like 2014.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

It's exactly this. The major problem is that literally everyone who can enact change hasn't been poor in a long loving time, if at all.

Why would they care about the fight for $15 when the last time they made less than 6 figures was decades ago?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Radish posted:

The idea of decency in politics has always been a fantastic lie.

Eh, yeah, but there have been times in which there was a greater chance of getting a legislator to cross party lines. There's a reason why LBJ got elected after the Civil Rights Act, and it wasn't just because Goldwater was a complete nutball. This is not one of those times, though, and the Dems need to realize that.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

I heard them say this on Chapo, but I don't think they were entirely fair. Every generation has its share of tv shows, movies, literature, etc, that unrealistically idealize politics, negotiation, convincing people through the virtues of your argument, etc. "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington," anyone? Hell, the Roman Republic had more than its fair share of stuff like this.

To some degree, this is true, but there's more to it than just that, I think. I think a lot of politicians are forgetting what era they're in. Politics has always been a corrupt, cynical business, but I think a lot of Republicans have been quicker on the uptake than Democrats that we're living in a particularly nasty age of politically nihilistic tribalism.

You're a smart enough guy that I'm not going to point out why using the Roman Republic isn't the best example. But Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was also political fantasy that has never actually worked like Abe of course Democratic and Republican politicians of the 1930s and 40s never behaved like that.

I don't think the era of political tribalism has anything too do with it. The mush brained idealism that all the beltway class get from Sorkin has never existed in our society, it's pure political fan fiction that has captured the way our leadership behaves in the exact same way that the Right has been captured by your racist grandpa only the Democrats have been captured by fantasy that dooms them to failure

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

But that goes back to their privileged positions as lackeys of the donor class. The only skin they have in the game is staying in power, which they do by kowtowing to the wealthy. They aren't ever going to be affected by the policies they put into law that hurt the poor and middle classes. It's better for them to advocate policy for their donors and lose, than it is to go against them and win.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/851503710433890304

ok

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

You're a smart enough guy that I'm not going to point out why using the Roman Republic isn't the best example.

I think it's a terrific example - the Republic was a shitshow on so many levels, but that's kind of my point. A lot of what Cicero and Polybius and Livy wrote, extolling the virtues of the Republic, was the "West Wing" of its day.

quote:

I don't think the era of political tribalism has anything too do with it. The mush brained idealism that all the beltway class get from Sorkin has never existed in our society, it's pure political fan fiction that has captured the way our leadership behaves in the exact same way that the Right has been captured by your racist grandpa only the Democrats have been captured by fantasy that dooms them to failure

I agree with all of this, but there are times when it's worse and there are times where it's better. It's pretty clear that we're in a time where it's worse - where the government has reached a peak of disfunction. There's a reason why the Senate Republicans refusing to even bring Garland's SCOTUS nomination to the floor created such a stir: it's because there are previous eras in American history where that would not have happened.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yup. And promising your base that you'll start from a position of compromise is not just a terrible negotiation strategy, it's a terrible election strategy to boot.

People got so mad about the idea of starting negotiations from your preferred compromise position being a bad strategy

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

redneck nazgul posted:

Because they have to offer a middle-ground between what their leftist base wants and what they can actually negotiate out of the Republicans, thus, their proposals become "Either <x> or the Republicans get everything".

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Thanks. I'm having arguments with friends over this and I want more detail into why they may think that way.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/tinyrevolution/status/851528354683604992

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ardennes posted:

...go on

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Radish posted:

Trump will stand in front of a hanger full of flag covered caskets and blame the Democrats for their deaths by agreeing with him to commit troops to Syria and how only he truly respects their sacrifice. Then the New York Times will call him the most presidential man in the country.

I'm hoping they don't fall for the obvious trick of supporting a GOP led invasion only to get hosed when it goes tits up but D.C politicos of all stripes love dead soldiers and missile strikes.

The bolded is the only explanation left for Democrats' war boners.

The wars are terrible for our country, they're terrible for the Middle East and the people living there who are left worse off every time, and they're terrible for the Democrats politically because their support just boosts approval for the Republican war mongers and then when it all goes to poo poo the Republicans just brazenly lie and say "oh I was against it the whole time, ignore the video proof and trust me" and then blame it all on the Democrats because they voted for the war. Then the Republicans run on ending all these Democrat foreign interventions and win.

But the arousing allure of big bombs and dead Arabs and mutilated soldiers and flag-draped caskets is just too strong for Democrats to resist...:fap:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Democrats will absolutely reinstate the filibuster once they're back in power and then continue to point to it as the reason they can't end the war in New Zealand or unravel Trump's executive order legalizing hobo knife fights. It's so obvious at this point that it doesn't even qualify as a joke.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

People got so mad about the idea of starting negotiations from your preferred compromise position being a bad strategy

People defended it by accusing Bernie Sanders of promising more than he could deliver, but I'd rather have someone that does that than someone that starts negotiating from the preferred compromise position right out of the gate. There's nothing stopping a candidate in the future from just saying "This is what I'm fighting for" without promising it using words like "I will sign". I'd rather hear "I will fight for [some policy]" than "I promise to deliver something halfway to [some policy]", but I understand there's probably some marketing people saying over their shoulders "Just say 'I will sign [some policy] into law."

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 11, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

galenanorth posted:

People defended it by accusing Bernie Sanders of promising more than he could deliver, but I'd rather have someone that does that than someone that starts negotiating from the preferred compromise position right out of the gate. There's nothing stopping a candidate in the future from just saying "This is what I'm fighting for" without promising it using words like "I will sign". I'd rather hear "I will fight for [some policy]" than "I promise to deliver something halfway to [some policy]", but I understand there's probably some marketing people saying over their shoulders saying "Just say 'I will sign [some policy] into law."

It's been brought up before but the reason politicians start from compromised positions is because their positions have already been negotiated down by the time they go public with them.

Basically before you go to the people with your free college idea you go to the student loan lobby to try and convince them not to spam the airwaves with a million ads calling you a dog rapist. After several meetings you come to an agreement where you'll agree to subsidize just half of student tuition and in exchange the student loan lobby will avoid direct confrontation and instead focus on a whisper campaign about how you exposed yourself at Disneyland. Resistance to your bill minimized you're then free to go public and the *formal* negotiations can begin.

It's just one of many wonderful ways that money in politics makes nice things impossible.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

I think it's a terrific example - the Republic was a shitshow on so many levels, but that's kind of my point. A lot of what Cicero and Polybius and Livy wrote, extolling the virtues of the Republic, was the "West Wing" of its day.

I agree with all of this, but there are times when it's worse and there are times where it's better. It's pretty clear that we're in a time where it's worse - where the government has reached a peak of disfunction. There's a reason why the Senate Republicans refusing to even bring Garland's SCOTUS nomination to the floor created such a stir: it's because there are previous eras in American history where that would not have happened.

I get the feeling we might be agreeing with each other more than I first realized when I responded to you at work,. I apologize for that

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

readingatwork posted:

It's been brought up before but the reason politicians start from compromised positions is because their positions have already been negotiated down by the time they go public with them.

So what was the Republican starting position if, "Oppose everything Obama suggests, regardless of what it is," was the negotiated down position?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also politics isn't a negotiation any more because there's no such thing as bipartisan legislation

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

So what was the Republican starting position if, "Oppose everything Obama suggests, regardless of what it is," was the negotiated down position?

Repeal Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare and the VA.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

Well, Mr Smith at least puts forth a sincere if naive vision of an ideal civic virtue and participation in republican government. Sorkin meanwhile presents politics as an HBO drama. Not really comparable IMO

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Well, Mr Smith at least puts forth a sincere if naive vision of an ideal civic virtue and participation in republican government. Sorkin meanwhile presents politics as an HBO drama. Not really comparable IMO

Well, I think that's just where we differ on this, then. To me, "naive vision of an ideal civic virtue and participation in republican government" describes "The West Wing" to a "t." I don't see how anyone could see it as not well-meaning, however you may feel about its accuracy.

KomradeX posted:

I get the feeling we might be agreeing with each other more than I first realized when I responded to you at work,. I apologize for that

That's all right, I rush out posts at work pretty frequently myself, so I'm in no position to judge.:keke:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

blackguy32 posted:

That was an answer, it just wasn't an answer you liked. Now repeat what I read again. I said focus on minority areas. One can argue for free college and better healthcare while pushing a message of diversity. However, if one is going to put issues of diversity front and center, then we have to accept that many voters are going to be turned off at a message like that.

Hillary didn't talk about economics, or basically anything at all. Rust Belt blacks stayed home b/c of this lack of emphasis

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

menino posted:

Hillary didn't talk about economics, or basically anything at all. Rust Belt blacks stayed home b/c of this lack of emphasis

Welllll, let's not forget that there was quite a bit of voter suppression too.

That said, yeah, if Clinton had spoken to Rust Belt voters about issues that directly concern them, she probably would have gotten a better turnout among black voters in the region.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Majorian posted:

Welllll, let's not forget that there was quite a bit of voter suppression too.

That said, yeah, if Clinton had spoken to Rust Belt voters about issues that directly concern them, she probably would have gotten a better turnout among black voters in the region.

Yeah voter suppression definitely a thing too, but racial splits were about equal to 2012 in WI and MI and Dem votes cratered there, especially in Wayne and Milwaukee counties

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

also politics isn't a negotiation any more because there's no such thing as bipartisan legislation

Do you think the Democrats get that?

I'm not sure all of them do.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Basically before you go to the people with your free college idea you go to the student loan lobby to try and convince them not to spam the airwaves with a million ads calling you a dog rapist. After several meetings you come to an agreement where you'll agree to subsidize just half of student tuition and in exchange the student loan lobby will avoid direct confrontation and instead focus on a whisper campaign about how you exposed yourself at Disneyland. Resistance to your bill minimized you're then free to go public and the *formal* negotiations can begin.

It's just one of many wonderful ways that money in politics makes nice things impossible.

I wonder if politicians are continually surprised by the lukewarm reception their crap compromised policies receive. I guess once you've been in politics long enough and/or disposed of your soul through the blasphemous ritual it all just starts to make sense. Of course you invite the guy from the student loan lobby to help you write the bill disposing of the student loan lobby. We don't want him to call us a dog fucker and he's an important stake holder! He probably knows best how to regulate his own industry. Nevermind that the starting goal was to eliminate or at least severely curtail his industry, now we're looking to make some cosmetic changes while maintaining (or expanding) his profit margins!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

You don't need to negotiate a position that industry paid for in the first place.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So in order to keep people off the Obama Thread I thought I might just post that in the Kansas House District 4 Special Election the Democrat, Thompson is only losing by a percentage point to the Republican Estes. Should be noted that this district is where one of the Koch Bros live. Also the DNC until the last minute IGNORED THE loving ELECTION! Seriously going to laugh at the centrists who are now going to say it was sensible to ignore elections like this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

So in order to keep people off the Obama Thread I thought I might just post that in the Kansas House District 4 Special Election the Democrat, Thompson is only losing by a percentage point to the Republican Estes. Should be noted that this district is where one of the Koch Bros live. Also the DNC until the last minute IGNORED THE loving ELECTION! Seriously going to laugh at the centrists who are now going to say it was sensible to ignore elections like this.

Also that it's fruitless running even a mildly populist campaign.

I hope the Dems learn the right lesson from this, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Not a Step posted:

I wonder if politicians are continually surprised by the lukewarm reception their crap compromised policies receive. I guess once you've been in politics long enough and/or disposed of your soul through the blasphemous ritual it all just starts to make sense. Of course you invite the guy from the student loan lobby to help you write the bill disposing of the student loan lobby. We don't want him to call us a dog fucker and he's an important stake holder! He probably knows best how to regulate his own industry. Nevermind that the starting goal was to eliminate or at least severely curtail his industry, now we're looking to make some cosmetic changes while maintaining (or expanding) his profit margins!

It's hard because lobbies replaced machines. So they've ended up occupying the same niche.

• Locked thread