Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The DNC is worthless. Any retaking of seats at states is going to depend entirely on the local/state apparatus and outside funding while the DNC looks at ultra safe blue states victory lap in.
Newt Gingrich's old district: SAFE BLUE STATE VICTORY LAP. loving hell.

rscott posted:

Their excuse was that if they got involved then it would attract the attention of the national Republican political establishment, of course the state party didn't do poo poo until yesterday either because the KDP is useless
Do you have any sourcing on this? Everything I've seen is that the DNC/DCCC/HousePAC prefer to put the focus and narrative of The First Test of Trump on GA-6, where they'll be top votegetter in the primary even though they'll likely fall short of 50% and have a tough fight in the runoff. "We lost by less than 20% for the first time in decades! Proof that even Republicans hate Trump!" isn't a great story to push when the strength of the party is behind you.

nachos posted:

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Oh no the republicans might actually have to play defense! The horror!
Republicans have a vested interest in making this seem like a tight race right now, which is part of the reason you've been seeing all the stories and leaks. They badly want to keep the margin at double digits, but they're leaking that it's within a point or two. They do that to put more attention on the race (which is needed when your base is tired of winning Trump and Brownback) and because it paints Thompson losing 53-45 as underachieving rather than being the best D result in decades by a wide margin.

It'd be wonderful if Thompson wins but I doubt that was ever in the cards here. So what story do you want after the loss? I'd rather have "Grassroots Activism puts the pressure on candidates in safe Red districts" than "Republican wins by 8 up against full force of the DNC". And if a few armchair slacktivists decide they can't trust the party and they'll have to put the effort in themselves in 2018, so much the better.

e: I'm a few days behind the times? Oh well. TankieDog will live on in my memory, and upon my clipboard.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Neolib, the polls have him within a percentage point. Look I know you'd like to never ever have to hear from flyover gomers again> But guess what? plenty of them want something beyond getting raped by the GOP. Now I know that also means they want less gun control and more workers protections which you cannot stand. But then the party doesn't need you.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The only poll I've seen is from a GOP internal poll. They may be lying about the close margin only to adjust expectations downward, so if Thompson loses by 10 or so, Republicans can avoid some embarrassment and still claim a win.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

The guiding principle of the GOP is that government is worthless. Any beneficial public services damage their ideological line.

That's the core of it, really. They run on a platform of "government is useless and can do nothing right." Once they get into office they prove it by taking the hammer to everything they can.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey Neolib, the polls have him within a percentage point. Look I know you'd like to never ever have to hear from flyover gomers again> But guess what? plenty of them want something beyond getting raped by the GOP. Now I know that also means they want less gun control and more workers protections which you cannot stand. But then the party doesn't need you.

:rolleyes:

To clarify for anyone who is actually interested in this, Crowsbeak is wrong to say that the polls have Thompson within a percentage point. Mostly because there aren't polls at all. No public company bothered polling the race because nobody thought there was a race here. There's only one poll being discussed currently, which is an internal one form the Estes campaign.

Internal polling rarely leaks without a specific reason, and the Executive Director of state party doesn't hype that leak unless there's some sort of strategy around it. As discussed above (and Ego-bot nails it), there's a very clear reason for the Estes campaign to publicize the shockingly close poll (especially in a special election): It increases urgency and turnout from a demotivated base and dramatically lowers expectations about the margin.

Supporting this theory, early voting leaned GOP in this race... this is a bad sign for Thompson. For those who are interested in the margin, the early vote wasn't as heavily GOP as it typically is in the district.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

What the gently caress are you trying to say, crazy conservative dude?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I found a thing for live results of this election. http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/kansas-house-special-election-district-4

Come on Thompson...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Um Wichita voting blue? In my lifetime?

:stare:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Paracaidas posted:

:rolleyes:

To clarify for anyone who is actually interested in this, Crowsbeak is wrong to say that the polls have Thompson within a percentage point. Mostly because there aren't polls at all. No public company bothered polling the race because nobody thought there was a race here. There's only one poll being discussed currently, which is an internal one form the Estes campaign.

Internal polling rarely leaks without a specific reason, and the Executive Director of state party doesn't hype that leak unless there's some sort of strategy around it. As discussed above (and Ego-bot nails it), there's a very clear reason for the Estes campaign to publicize the shockingly close poll (especially in a special election): It increases urgency and turnout from a demotivated base and dramatically lowers expectations about the margin.

Supporting this theory, early voting leaned GOP in this race... this is a bad sign for Thompson. For those who are interested in the margin, the early vote wasn't as heavily GOP as it typically is in the district.

Ao the repubs are leaking polls saying they wont win by much... why wouldnt that encourage dems to go after the blood in the water? Toss 20k or so at the campaign at least, make it closer to keep repubs nervous.

Dems, by doing nothing, are falling for the trick, proving their worthlessness yet again.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Newt Gingrich's old district: SAFE BLUE STATE VICTORY LAP. loving hell.

Do you have any sourcing on this? Everything I've seen is that the DNC/DCCC/HousePAC prefer to put the focus and narrative of The First Test of Trump on GA-6, where they'll be top votegetter in the primary even though they'll likely fall short of 50% and have a tough fight in the runoff. "We lost by less than 20% for the first time in decades! Proof that even Republicans hate Trump!" isn't a great story to push when the strength of the party is behind you.

Republicans have a vested interest in making this seem like a tight race right now, which is part of the reason you've been seeing all the stories and leaks. They badly want to keep the margin at double digits, but they're leaking that it's within a point or two. They do that to put more attention on the race (which is needed when your base is tired of winning Trump and Brownback) and because it paints Thompson losing 53-45 as underachieving rather than being the best D result in decades by a wide margin.

It'd be wonderful if Thompson wins but I doubt that was ever in the cards here. So what story do you want after the loss? I'd rather have "Grassroots Activism puts the pressure on candidates in safe Red districts" than "Republican wins by 8 up against full force of the DNC". And if a few armchair slacktivists decide they can't trust the party and they'll have to put the effort in themselves in 2018, so much the better.

e: I'm a few days behind the times? Oh well. TankieDog will live on in my memory, and upon my clipboard.

I love Very Serious People and their analysis which continually writes off my state entirely. Hey at least they've been successful elsewhere. What's that, the strategy has worked literally nowhere? :thinking:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There is no enthusiasm from any of my conservative co-workers about this election, the only people I hear talking about it intended to vote for Thompson. Anecdotal for sure and who knows what the sticks are like but first signs are encouraging

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

There is no enthusiasm from any of my conservative co-workers about this election, the only people I hear talking about it intended to vote for Thompson. Anecdotal for sure and who knows what the sticks are like but first signs are encouraging

No, you see I am a very serious person who lives on the coast and knows that all people in Kansas are toothless gomer neanderthals who would never have the inclination to vote for anyone that wasn't screaming about killing gays and immigrants.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IDK that's pretty accurate it's just that none of them can be assed to go out and vote on a Tuesday in April. It's mostly old people with nothing else to do that are the main threat.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

No, you see I am a very serious person who lives on the coast and knows that all people in Kansas are toothless gomer neanderthals who would never have the inclination to vote for anyone that wasn't screaming about killing gays and immigrants.

I thought losing to an idiot game show host would at least give give the Democratic leadership pause, but instead they are fully committed to the same strategy that got them locked out of federal power and most state legislatures. They really would rather retain their personal positions of authority within the out of power Democratic party rather than make changes that risk ceding that personal power.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I know the full vote isn't in, but hot drat if the dems win this.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

If dude wins i'll dance at your wedding

gay wedding

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
14% in, Dems off to a strong start

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's more of a Thompson win, the dems have literally done gently caress all to help him

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This reminds me of Hillary Clinton playing 12-D psychological chessmaster gamesmanship and not campaigning at all in the Rust Belt, hoping it would psych out Republicans and trick them into not contesting those states.

"Maybe if we don't campaign in this House race, Republicans will just forget to and we'll win if for free! Oh they didn't forget? Well that seat probably tastes sour anyway."

Clinton 2020 campaign: hire me I have a plan. Don't campaign at all, spend the cash on the biggest baddest crunkest victory party in history on Nov 1. Republicans will be so psyched out by our confidence they'll just give up and withdraw.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

It's more of a Thompson win, the dems have literally done gently caress all to help him

And if he loses, it's because the Dems did literally gently caress all to help him?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

And if he loses, it's because the Dems did literally gently caress all to help him?

Depends on the margins

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Terror Sweat posted:

in their defense, his thompson's twitter bio doesn't mention he's a democrat and he's working much harder to tie his opponent to brownback than to trump. e:or so i read

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 12, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redneck nazgul posted:

Yes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

got any sevens posted:

Ao the repubs are leaking polls saying they wont win by much... why wouldnt that encourage dems to go after the blood in the water? Toss 20k or so at the campaign at least, make it closer to keep repubs nervous.

Dems, by doing nothing, are falling for the trick, proving their worthlessness yet again.
The GOP is leaking an internal about how close it is.... in order to trick the Dems into thinking it's not actually close so that they don't spend money? I'd ask you to elaborate but it's not time for some game theory.

WorkerThread posted:

I love Very Serious People and their analysis which continually writes off my state entirely. Hey at least they've been successful elsewhere. What's that, the strategy has worked literally nowhere? :thinking:

Crowsbeak posted:

Lookit this fucker careposting in D&D! LOL he's putting effort into explaining things :sad:
I'm not a coastal neoliberal shill (oh-for-4 ITT tonight crowsbeak), but there are 2 other D&D threads and an entire subforum that will welcome whitenoise shitposts about how BadDems are Bad. Please don't poo poo up a good thread with that nonsense tonight.

For actual content-still waiting on quite a bit out of Wichita (hopefully), but we're down to neck-and-neck with 47% reporting. For a political newcomer and Berner without much support outside of the grass/netroots, getting it this close is huge. If he finishes within 10, it's a major story and an impressive show of strength for the movement.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

in their defense, his thompson's twitter bio doesn't mention he's a democrat and he's working much harder to tie his opponent to brownback than to trump. e:or so i read

THere is no defense. This is a fuckup of the National party. Time to purge the so called wonks like Pardicas, make it feel like 1937.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

The GOP is leaking an internal about how close it is.... in order to trick the Dems into thinking it's not actually close so that they don't spend money? I'd ask you to elaborate but it's not time for some game theory.

Lookit this fucker careposting in D&D! LOL he's putting effort into explaining things :sad:
I'm not a coastal neoliberal shill (oh-for-4 ITT tonight crowsbeak), but there are 2 other D&D threads and an entire subforum that will welcome whitenoise shitposts about how BadDems are Bad. Please don't poo poo up a good thread with that nonsense tonight.

For actual content-still waiting on quite a bit out of Wichita (hopefully), but we're down to neck-and-neck with 47% reporting. For a political newcomer and Berner without much support outside of the grass/netroots, getting it this close is huge. If he finishes within 10, it's a major story and an impressive show of strength for the movement.

Estes is underperforming trump by ~5-10% in the counties, so who knows

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

The only poll I've seen is from a GOP internal poll. They may be lying about the close margin only to adjust expectations downward, so if Thompson loses by 10 or so, Republicans can avoid some embarrassment and still claim a win.

10 is the "standard" starting point right now. That's about the "normal" win in the state for republicans. If Thompson really does lose by 2 or 3 that's a positive showing but anything more than 5% and it's basically business as usual.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Terror Sweat posted:

Estes is underperforming trump by ~5-10% in the counties, so who knows

I briefly wet myself because NYT swapped columns when Estes took over the lead (up by ~2,000 votes/3% with 61% in) and tried to figure out how the hell he took the lead in Sedgwick.

Repurposing 538 a bit (w-w-w-wonk?!), but given everything involved in the race-a decent guide of how to read the final results:

Estes by 25+: Mass pundit suicide
    Estes by 20+: Confusing early returns, admirable showing by Thompson
    Estes by 15ish: Best Dem showing since Pompeo took over the seat
    Estes by 10-15: Inner Ring Suburban R incumbents get nervous nationwide
    Estes by less than 10: Progressive Movement is taking deserved victory laps. Tuesday Group abandons any controversial legislation
    Estes by less than 5: Perez hosed up, GA-6 is winnable outright, and most of the GOP is jumping at shadows
    Thompson by any margin: There are no safely red senate seats, districts, statehouses, or governors mansions

Anubis posted:

10 is the "standard" starting point right now. In 2014 the seat was won by 10 points over an independent. If Thompson really does lose by 2 or 3 that's a positive showing but anything more than 5% and it's basically business as usual.

Which seat? Not Pompeo's...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crowsbeak posted:

THere is no defense. This is a fuckup of the National party. Time to purge the so called wonks like Pardicas, make it feel like 1937.

I think it's a bit early for that. IDK if this seat was winable and you don't want to go all in on a seat that isn't winable this early.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

Which seat? Not Pompeo's...

I screwed up and was looking at the Orman v Roberts run. Still, with the least popular governor in the nation I still put the break even point at 10%.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mcmagic posted:

I think it's a bit early for that. IDK if this seat was winable and you don't want to go all in on a seat that isn't winable this early.

How about going in just a little bit?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:siren: DEFIANCE PROTOCOL :siren:

https://twitter.com/KWCH12/status/851970046876426240

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Sorry, but no, Perez claimned he was going to do as Ellison said. Fight as though every loving election mattered.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

We all know what "just the tip" leads to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kobach going to steal the seat?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There was a story about a Wichita State professor who said he found irregularities in the 2014 election results but Kris Kobach wouldn't authorize a review of the physical record because it would cost too much...
That far east in Wichita is pretty wealthy though so I don't think they need to stuff that particular ballot box

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry, but no, Perez claimned he was going to do as Ellison said. Fight as though every loving election mattered.

Maybe this race will help; with fundraising for just that.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Maybe this race will help; with fundraising for just that.

Let me break out my wallet for the "Fight for every election, except the one that just happened" campaign.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Why bother, most of the country is too stupid to vote for us.
*loses all over the map*
See it was hopeless all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Why bother, most of the country is too stupid to vote for us.
*loses all over the map*
See it was hopeless all along.

To be fair, you really do have to be a loving retard to want to vote for Estes after Brownback and the Republicans have ran this state into the ground.

Seriously, who in the gently caress are these people? Where the gently caress did all these Estes votes come from? Who are these people who like him enough to show up and vote for him? Who are these people?

• Locked thread