Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stuntman posted:

I'm more partial to Mt. Gay.

That's on me. :saddowns: Mount Gay is too long to write in the middle of a dinner rush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Or if you're a hotel with thousands of plates, and an engineering dept who can fix the dish machine at any time.

Well yeah, that'll change the economics of it. :)

I suppose I could have also included 'If you can afford to keep a hot spare' as well, but that seemed like overkill.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Well yeah, that'll change the economics of it. :)

I suppose I could have also included 'If you can afford to keep a hot spare' as well, but that seemed like overkill.

A lot of our larger properties do, actually. But then you're talking about 1200+ rooms and plated dinners for 1500+

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's our best dishwasher's last day today and we're rather sad. If he didn't have kidney problems and need to go on extended medical leave I would pump him so full of liquor.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Why is it that every smoker I work with, thinks they can take a smoke break when their station is in the weeds?

And why do managers back them and punish me for denying them their "well earned break"?

:bang:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Why is it that every smoker I work with, thinks they can take a smoke break when their station is in the weeds?

And why do managers back them and punish me for denying them their "well earned break"?

:bang:

as a non smoker I used to pretend I did smoke because somehow that's the only accepted excuse to step outside

not when anyone was weeded though, gently caress that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had a coworker that whenever she'd step out for a break, and we'd get an order, her immediate question was "is it a call in?"

I also timed her taking over an hour of breaks once.

In a single, 8 hour shift.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is def a pet peeve of mine.

The rush will start and the phone person is like BRB GONNA SMOKE!

Like the gently caress. No. You don't need a smoke right now in the middle of the rush!

:aaaaa:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iospace posted:

I had a coworker that whenever she'd step out for a break, and we'd get an order, her immediate question was "is it a call in?"

How much over an hour? With an 8 hour shift, should be getting two 15s and a 30 minute lunch. But since neither of those are ever going to happen, I prefer to take 7ish minutes every hour. Though if it's a shitstorm, that's not the time to take any breaks. Wait until there's time. Also non smokers need to stand up about breaking rights. I cannot stand people who work 8 hours straight, who never take a break. gently caress you, it sets an unrealistic expectation. I am not a machine, and I am definitely not working 8 hours straight. Smoking has nothing to do with it that point. I need to sit down, let my brain settle and clear up. Otherwise I am just exhausted and it'll take forever to even figure out what I should be doing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Bussamove posted:

86 Let Us B. Oats guys.

Dr. Zo

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

iospace posted:

The guys that I worked with until last week, did that.

But in a 4-hour shift.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I've had to tell multiple cooks that if we're in the weeds, you can be on your station and busting your rear end or at home on suspension pending termination. Smoke breaks are for when the boards are clear and your station is restocked and the dishes/prep are at least manageable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah... I guess I should mention she'd end up leaving half of her prep half done because of all the breaks

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Used to manage an extremely high volume bar, had one bartender that I promoted from barback to bartender and he slowly lost his work ethic over the course of about 6 months. Final straw was one night he abandoned the bar for 20 minutes during our rush, and when he came back, stood at the end of the bar having a cigarette and flirting rather than helping us catch up.

Found out later he'd developed a serious drug problem and his "bathroom breaks" weren't quite what they seemed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Found out later he'd developed a serious drug problem and his "bathroom breaks" weren't quite what they seemed.

FOH.txt

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oddly enough, his was the only drug problem that really caused an issue. It was a weirdly stable environment, mostly because everyone was making so much drat money that nobody wanted to rock the boat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been under an immense amount of stress recently - picture receiving 20-30 e-mails an hour during the workday, so one every 2 minutes or so, half of which need some meaningful reply - being responsible for a couple dozen other people's work IT emergencies, coupled with a family member being in the hospital, coupled with another family member having a psychotic break that falls on your shoulders, coupled with being a party to a few lawsuits, coupled with being responsible for the upkeep / bills / whatever of a home and more or less preparing or sorting out meals and poo poo. I don't know if that sounds more or less stressful than it actually is when I type it out.

Anyways, I was never a true lifer or anything - I've worked in kitchens on a daily basis for maybe 6-8 months, and they weren't slammed or shitshows. But I've had this urge recently to just walk out the front door, turn my phone on silent, and take 20 minutes to myself - gently caress whatever ends up happening with other people's problems. I'm a pretty driven guy, so to me that sounds pretty unreasonable or like I'm being an escapist or need some therapy or something, but I truly finally understand the urge, and worry that I'm succumbing to it.

The question I guess I have is how do you distinguish laziness from just actually needing a break for your own mental health or whatever? Like it's 3:45am, I can't sleep, and I'm typing this on the internet. I know every minute I'm typing this I'm delaying a minute more of sleep I maybe could have gotten, and a minute more of work I could probably get done tomorrow, but I don't take breaks during the day, so.... it's alright right? Or am I just not going to sleep because I know every minute I don't have to deal with a shitshow of other people's problems means I have another minute where I don't have to deal with a shitshow of other people's problems?

same thing with the smoking break for non-smokers. a minute more on break means a minute less till you clock out! only I guess restaurant problems are in the end just 'did someone get their food or did my boss make money', whereas most of my problems are more consequential than just a job. OR ARE THEY? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gonna no-call no-show to life tomorrow morning -_-

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mindphlux posted:

gonna no-call no-show to life tomorrow morning -_-

:stare:

do not do this

also are you self employed? If not, take your breaks you rube.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I'm trying hard to not sound like an rear end in a top hat here, but gently caress it. From your previous posts, it sounds like you're well taken care of for the work you do. It has also sounded like you had more experience than 6-8 months in "the industry," in this, "the industry" thread.

Now, I am all for laborer's rights. You are entitled to a 10 minute break after 4 hours of work and you should take it. Also you should not feel obligated to think or care about work when you're at home off the clock. Granted, that is a pipe dream for a lot of people, myself included. One of the first things I tell new hires at my job is, "don't work for free. This industry will chew you up and spit you out and not give a gently caress that it did."

Here is where I struggle to not sound like (more of) an rear end in a top hat: what the gently caress dude? Aren't you IT or something? I value your opinions as an outsider, mainly because I usually disagree vehemently, but you sound like a job tourist. What you described - that sounds like it's your loving job. You get paid to answer emails and deal with IT bullshit. I have no empathy for you.

Edit: ok that does sound really cold. I totally glossed over your non-work life-related stressors, and that poo poo sucks. I am genuinely sorry to hear about that.

Double edit: I also glossed over your lovely last paragraph that totally belittles all of our jobs. Yes, all my job is is "did somebody get food and did my boss get paid." gently caress off dude. You're the worst. Go post in yospos with all the other computer fuckers.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 12, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

also are you self employed? If not, take your breaks you rube.

yeah, self employed.

The Maestro posted:

I'm trying hard to not sound like an rear end in a top hat here, but gently caress it. From your previous posts, it sounds like you're well taken care of for the work you do. It has also sounded like you had more experience than 6-8 months in "the industry," in this, "the industry" thread.

Now, I am all for laborer's rights. You are entitled to a 10 minute break after 4 hours of work and you should take it. Also you should not feel obligated to think or care about work when you're at home off the clock. Granted, that is a pipe dream for a lot of people, myself included. One of the first things I tell new hires at my job is, "don't work for free. This industry will chew you up and spit you out and not give a gently caress that it did."

Here is where I struggle to not sound like (more of) an rear end in a top hat: what the gently caress dude? Aren't you IT or something? I value your opinions as an outsider, mainly because I usually disagree vehemently, but you sound like a job tourist. What you described - that sounds like it's your loving job. You get paid to answer emails and deal with IT bullshit. I have no empathy for you.

Edit: ok that does sound really cold. I totally glossed over your non-work life-related stressors, and that poo poo sucks. I am genuinely sorry to hear about that.

Double edit: I also glossed over your lovely last paragraph that totally belittles all of our jobs. Yes, all my job is is "did somebody get food and did my boss get paid." gently caress off dude. You're the worst. Go post in yospos with all the other computer fuckers.

fair enough man, I don't deserve any sympathy or empathy. I wasn't asking for any either. I know I'm comparatively better off than some dude getting screamed at making minimum wage in a dishpit. that wasn't really the point of my post. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my e-mails. yeah, I get it. sounds like a cakewalk. I'm the worst. but, for the record, I wasn't belittling anyone's job. I have put in my goddamn dues.

my point was more - regardless of what you're actually loving doing in life, life or death decisions included, there's a point at which someone just doesn't want to (or is unable to) take care of problems anymore. the problem could be cooking a steak, or settling a legal dispute. or pulling the trigger on a gun, or launching a rocket in to space, or whatever. regardless of how subjectively stressful and complicated that task is, at some point you're probably going to be in a situation where you literally mentally and/or physically unable or unwilling to solve or deal with a problem.

this might manifest itself in the form of taking a smoke break, no-call no-showing, exiting life entirely - but my question is more how do you truly assess that action or mental need as an outsider? at what point is someone reasonably entitled to a break? when do you cut them a break?

your response kind of drives to the heart of it. I say something like 'wahhhhhhhh my e-mails', and you say 'gently caress you dude'. that's exactly the problem. now imagine you and I are the same person. I think I'm a little bitch for having physical manifestations of stress about dealing with the problems in my life. pretty much "gently caress YOU MINDPHLUX GROW A PAIR" is where I'm at, and have been at for the past couple years of handling my workload. "YOU SURE DO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO EAT AND poo poo DONT YOU MINDPHLUX YOU LITTLE human being??"

yeah, sure. I do.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 12, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

yeah, self employed.

fair enough man, I don't deserve any sympathy or empathy. I wasn't asking for any either. I know I'm comparatively better off than some dude getting screamed at making minimum wage in a dishpit. that wasn't really the point of my post. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my e-mails. yeah, I get it. sounds like a cakewalk. I'm the worst. but, for the record, I wasn't belittling anyone's job. I have put in my goddamn dues.

my point was more - regardless of what you're actually loving doing in life, life or death decisions included, there's a point at which someone just doesn't want to (or is unable to) take care of problems anymore. the problem could be cooking a steak, or settling a legal dispute. or pulling the trigger on a gun, or launching a rocket in to space, or whatever. regardless of how subjectively stressful and complicated that task is, at some point you're probably going to be in a situation where you literally mentally and/or physically unable or unwilling to solve or deal with a problem.

this might manifest itself in the form of taking a smoke break, no-call no-showing, exiting life entirely - but my question is more how do you truly assess that action or mental need as an outsider? at what point is someone reasonably entitled to a break? when do you cut them a break?

your response kind of drives to the heart of it. I say something like 'wahhhhhhhh my e-mails', and you say 'gently caress you dude'. that's exactly the problem. now imagine you and I are the same person. I think I'm a little bitch for having physical manifestations of stress about dealing with the problems in my life. pretty much "gently caress YOU MINDPHLUX GROW A PAIR" is where I'm at, and have been at for the past couple years of handling my workload. "YOU SURE DO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO EAT AND poo poo DONT YOU MINDPHLUX YOU LITTLE human being??"

yeah, sure. I do.

I'm not trying to demean your work or your right to a break. I'm just pointing out that you do not work in the same industry as everybody else in this thread. And that you always do this poo poo where you hedge your bets and move the goalposts. I completely do not believe that you were trying to make this overarching point about breaks and labor when you made the initial post. You sit on the outside and look in, try to fit in, get called out, and then pretend to be with it. Job tourist dude. gently caress off.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I think there are plenty of other cook to IT posters who lurk this thread and/or actively post in it (turkeybone?) who are not currently working in the same industry as everybody else in this thread. I don't think that makes them or I a "job tourist", if I even understand what you mean by that, jfc. I think questions about self worth, value of time, and work/life boundaries are pretty universal. if you don't, that's fine. if you do and just personally don't like the poo poo I say in this thread and just want to point out that I don't work in the industry, you're right, and I guess that's fine also. everything's fine. this is fine.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

I think there are plenty of other cook to IT posters who lurk this thread and/or actively post in it (turkeybone?) who are not currently working in the same industry as everybody else in this thread. I don't think that makes them or I a "job tourist", if I even understand what you mean by that, jfc. I think questions about self worth, value of time, and work/life boundaries are pretty universal. if you don't, that's fine. if you do and just personally don't like the poo poo I say in this thread and just want to point out that I don't work in the industry, you're right, and I guess that's fine also. everything's fine. this is fine.

mindphlux, I love your posting and you're a great dude, but this is not the hill to die on.

I don't work in the industry, never have, I read this thread on the regular, and I sure as poo poo don't come in here and say a goddamned thing about how anyone in here handles (or doesn't handle) their job.

As for your other complaints, it sounds like you're well on your way to burning out completely with your work, and I strongly suggest making a post in Business, Finance, and Careers about it to get some advice on how to handle it before it gets really bad. Burnout (in ANY industry- see LiquidCommunism's post history) is no joke and if you let it go unchecked it can gently caress with you for years.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

The question I guess I have is how do you distinguish laziness from just actually needing a break for your own mental health or whatever?

When I'm just lazy I don't want to work but I'm highly motivated to do a bunch of other awesome poo poo. When I'm overstressed and freaked out all i end up doing is sleeping or poo poo posting.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

As for your other complaints, it sounds like you're well on your way to burning out completely with your work, and I strongly suggest making a post in Business, Finance, and Careers about it to get some advice on how to handle it before it gets really bad. Burnout (in ANY industry- see LiquidCommunism's post history) is no joke and if you let it go unchecked it can gently caress with you for years.

It also creeps up on you, especially if you're driven and have a hard work ethic. You keep pushing yourself beyond your limits, but it only works up until that one snapping point. After that, you need several years of "vacation" (ha ha) to get back to normal. You're only able to do the most menial and basic tasks for pennies until you get better. I wouldn't have believed it possible until it happened to me. I was so sure I could handle it all. When you push yourself past those stress limits over a long period of time, you expend your mental resources and they are finite. They may even be huge but not infinite. Managing stress in a healthy way is impossible if you don't get time off from stress.

Mindphlux, stress also makes you more likely to end up in discussions that just never turn to your benefit. You're trying to vent but keep choosing the wrong words and ideas. I know the feeling. Hope things get better for you.

While I don't work in the industry, I follow this thread daily and it gives me a lot of perspective. I wish you guys well, most of you work your asses off in unforgiving and unrewarding conditions.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mindphlux - seek help. Seriously. I'm in similar shape right now, and am in that process myself. PM me if you want, I'm happy to get on the phone right now.

For everyone else - we're not posting here because we're currently in the industry, we're both former industry. He and I aren't the only ones. We post here because we identify with it, and at times probably even loved it. It's a second home, or comfortable, or however you want to put it. Yeah, he came off poorly, but have a bit of compassion. This is someone who is actively reaching out for help because it sounds like he feels he has nowhere else to go. Let's beat him up later for picking the wrong words, or the wrong thread.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
drat Mindphlux. Take a day off and decompress dude. We are both in IT and i know that it isnt life or death poo poo day in and day out.

If your clients are acting crazy do an analysis and drop the ones that take up too much time for the money they spend. Then drop all the ones that don't pay enough. Set a floor, get some personal time.

Or join the rest of us at an enterprise and take some loving paid time off.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's weird to see the term "life or death" being thrown around, because whenever i had a new person start in the kitchen i would try to scare them by listing all the ways their gently caress ups could kill someone

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's weird to see the term "life or death" being thrown around, because whenever i had a new person start in the kitchen i would try to scare them by listing all the ways their gently caress ups could kill someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2gpRcFKAQ

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Watched the first two seconds to see if it was what I thought it was and instantly heard the scream in my head. I'm so glad our BoH is smart about keeping poo poo clean and has been accident-free. Well... except for the one guy who totally wasn't doing knife tricks you guys and mysteriously sliced his arm open in the dishpit one day. But he was a stupid teenager and every restaurant has one of those. :v:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Thanks everyone for putting me in check, I probably had that coming. And the positive words/suggestions. Pretty clear I need to take a day off and reevaluate my poo poo. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
every time I turn up to work it helps to think that I won't be working in hospitality this time next year hopefully

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

mindphlux - seek help. Seriously. I'm in similar shape right now, and am in that process myself. PM me if you want, I'm happy to get on the phone right now.

For everyone else - we're not posting here because we're currently in the industry, we're both former industry. He and I aren't the only ones. We post here because we identify with it, and at times probably even loved it. It's a second home, or comfortable, or however you want to put it. Yeah, he came off poorly, but have a bit of compassion. This is someone who is actively reaching out for help because it sounds like he feels he has nowhere else to go. Let's beat him up later for picking the wrong words, or the wrong thread.

This isn't the thread for that though, this is the thread for bitching about customers and infighting between BOH and FOH (gently caress you cooks).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
FOH rulez, BOH droolz

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Recoome posted:

FOH rulez, BOH droolz

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Recoome posted:

FOH rulez, BOH droolz

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Owners rule, house drools.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

terrifying, every god drat time

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

IMMA SERVER HUURRR HURRRR :downs:

I'll fight all you bitches, and I've got the knives.

Re: mindphlux - As someone who went the other way (my last IT/engineering job a decade ago, I had almost 20 people working underneath me spread across 4 provinces, now I'm a chef), mental or emotional burnout from constantly being "on" and stressed out is a real thing, and a real concern. There's no way for anyone else (outside of a therapist, maybe) to tell you when you're being "lazy" or when you're in real distress because it's different for everyone. What you've described sounds like real distress though, or at the very least a genuine legitimate reason to be distressed. I know finding time to step back and find time for yourself isn't always easy, so maybe talking to a professional is a good first step to help manage things. Not to try to scare you or be alarmist, but you will not know when your tipping point is, that poo poo just shows up like a brick wall. I hope you're able to get something figured out before you find out when that point is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Recoome posted:

FOH rulez, BOH droolz

Twice the money and half the work. Foh fo life son!

• Locked thread