Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clearly Batman just has Nabu's helmet in his utility belt just in case he needs some magic and Zatanna's not around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's because you actually aren't making any argument. You're insisting that "Superman and Lois are SPECIAL" is a thing but without actually wanting to back it up or justify it in any way that doesn't fit your own very specific and narrow reading. It's why you're conveniently talking about iconic but pretending Jimmy Olson doesn't count because he's 'merely a supporting character' because as we know best friends don't count as being important to someone.
Yo hit me up with all those major storylines where Superman lost his humanity or whatever 'cuz Jimmy Olsen died.

ImpAtom posted:

The actual answer is that they had two Lois and Clarks and wanted to melt them together and light reset the universe and so they did it, and since there weren't bonus Jimmies or Bonus Lexes around they didn't get melded with anyone. It's a slapdash attempt to simplify the universe, not a glorious metacommentary on the Superman mythos, which is why it doesn't touch on any of the mythos.
Why there weren't bonus Jimmies or Lexes in the first place is the question you should be asking. Could it be because...gasp!...they're not as important, in or out of universe, as Lois and Clark?

Of course this plot came about because they needed to reconcile Convergence Superman with the new Rebirth situation. Isn't that what I said in the first place? I just don't know why that butthurts you so much when everything about the plot was completely fine. There's something sweet and compelling about the fact that the parts of Lois and Superman that loved and remembered each other were powerful enough to survive a deliberate attempt to erase it and eventually make their way back home. But nah lol something corporate DC slapdash event whatever lol.

I'll say this: I definitely appreciate Superman Reborn even more now, after the last couple pages. Thanks, BSS, you always mostly sometimes occasionally come through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yo hit me up with all those major storylines where Superman lost his humanity or whatever 'cuz Jimmy Olsen died.

Well, for one, Injustice also began with the murder of Jimmy Olson. Among others The Nail puts a heavy emphasis on the idea of Jimmy Olson's role in Superman's life and vice-versa. But hey I guess those don't count because you have a weird fixation on the idea of Superman and Lois Lane being OTP Forever despite there being plenty of stories where they never get together as well. (Not in the least because people want to hook up Superman and Wonder Woman.)

BrianWilly posted:

Why there weren't bonus Jimmies or Lexes in the first place is the question you should be asking.

Because the new Superman and Lois were intended to be the survivors of a previous universe shoehorned in so they could have Married Superman That You Liked From Pre Nu52 back and they later retconned it. Not even you can pretend this was an intentional storyline planned from the start.

That's the answer. You going "maybe the answer is that they're special in some unspecified way" means I want the answer of why are they special? Because "they're special because I said so" isn't an answer and "they're special because metastory" ignores other important elements of the Superman mythos so why are those elements not important?

Edit:

Like seriously, to go back to the "Superman loses his humanity" stories, they are never just about Lois Lane. They are about all of his connections to humanity and Jimmy Olson commonly appears in them as well. I can't think of a Superman story where he just loses Lois and goes batshit. Kingdom Come had the Joker murder all of the Daily Planet, not just Lois. Injustice is the same. Red Son features Jimmy's career as a CIA agent and eventually Lex's VP.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't Injustice because the Joker nuked all of Metropolis?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Wasn't Injustice because the Joker nuked all of Metropolis?

I thought it was because he got Superman to kill a pregnant Lois Lane. despite this I heard it was still a good comic book.

Also I got to chuckle at the idea of Joker killing Lois Lane being both used in Injustice and Kingdom Come.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

I thought it was because he got Superman to kill a pregnant Lois Lane. despite this I heard it was still a good comic book.

Also I got to chuckle at the idea of Joker killing Lois Lane being both used in Injustice and Kingdom Come.

He did all that and did it in a day.

It was a busy day

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

Joker murders Jimmy and kidnaps Lois and then tricks Superman into killing Lois which sets off a nuke that destroys Metropolis.

The fact that Injustice is a readable comic despite this is a goddamn miracle.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Injustice is readable in the same way Jerry Springer is watchable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This thread is readable in the same way Jerry Springer is watchable.

FTFY

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Injustice Year One feels like it goes out of its way to give you a setup that actually makes you go "Okay, maybe it's actually okay that Superman murdered that singular individual." And he does 'overstep his bounds' after that, but that's in the 'actually getting involved in human matters' way- he doesn't just start casually killing people all willy-nilly. Not till later, anyway. And you basically see him driven mad because Batman goes "You killed a person, and now you're actually doing stuff and not lying back and answering for your crime of killing the person who made you kill your wife and nuked your city! You have to be stopped! No compromise!"

...Honestly the more I think about Injustice's plot the more I have to wonder how it actually was a good book at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Superman's power and position inherently means he has to be held to a higher moral standard

someone that strong and that visible cannot be allowed to just extra-judiciously murder dudes because he had a bad day

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blockhouse posted:

I think Superman's power and position inherently means he has to be held to a higher moral standard

someone that strong and that visible cannot be allowed to just extra-judiciously murder dudes because he had a bad day

That is how we get stardust the super wizard

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Officially subscribed to Injustice 2 and can't wait for Tuesday :cool:
Welcome back, Tommy boy!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KaosMachina posted:

Injustice Year One feels like it goes out of its way to give you a setup that actually makes you go "Okay, maybe it's actually okay that Superman murdered that singular individual." And he does 'overstep his bounds' after that, but that's in the 'actually getting involved in human matters' way- he doesn't just start casually killing people all willy-nilly. Not till later, anyway. And you basically see him driven mad because Batman goes "You killed a person, and now you're actually doing stuff and not lying back and answering for your crime of killing the person who made you kill your wife and nuked your city! You have to be stopped! No compromise!"

...Honestly the more I think about Injustice's plot the more I have to wonder how it actually was a good book at all.
Batman contains the traditional signifiers of the human ruling class and as such is allowed to levy judgment on others and set moral standards.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's the answer. You going "maybe the answer is that they're special in some unspecified way" means I want the answer of why are they special? Because "they're special because I said so" isn't an answer and "they're special because metastory" ignores other important elements of the Superman mythos so why are those elements not important?
For what it's worth, I think the thing that makes Lois more important is that she is Superman's equal if not his better without any of the powers. Not just in the way that she's a good person. In the way that her whole deal is fighting for truth and justice. And when he tries to fight for those things on her terms, when he's Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter, he's at best as good as her and most commonly second fiddle to her. Lois isn't just Superman's pal. She's a living reminder that you don't need powers to do Superman poo poo. She's not just someone who reminds Superman of how fun and great humans are. She is someone who Superman looks up to. She humbles him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

Officially subscribed to Injustice 2 and can't wait for Tuesday :cool:
Welcome back, Tommy boy!

Speaking of, small preview an interview with the series' artist

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-bruno-redondo-talks-about-injustice-2s-new-look/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I'm digging these variants

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This cover is horrendous.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh come on! Even you have to draw the line somewhere!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What a loving mess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't usually jump in on these D_T dogpiles but yeah that is pretty rough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I feel the same way. I've always believed his love of Jason Todd was something legitimate, and still do, but there's no way he thinks that's a good cover. There's having a pet favorite character despite all the flaws, we all have those, and then there's being so biased you'll excuse anything which would be the case here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Artemis' pose hurts just to look at

X-O posted:

Yeah I feel the same way. I've always believed his love of Jason Todd was something legitimate, and still do, but there's no way he thinks that's a good cover. There's having a pet favorite character despite all the flaws, we all have those, and then there's being so biased you'll excuse anything which would be the case here.

Post the DC characters you love no matter what.

Me:

Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Guy Gardner, Rose Wilson

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Those swords appear to be made of paper

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Who is the artist? That's a very Liefeld-esque cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guillem March, right? I enjoy it, assuming Jason fell over in the course of striking an action pose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Me:

Ted Kord, Booster Gold, Tawky Tawny.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean I'll love Kyle Rayner and Wally West no matter what poo poo they go through, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy bad comics they're in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Artemis' hair and spine just really miss the nineties. Those were their best years!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

Me:

The Face, The Jokester, Forerunner

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I really like the colors in this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

Me:

Silver Age Firestorm & Doctor Fate, Wally West, Hawkman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked that Aquaman reboot that happened with 1 year later. Also Tim Drake, the only Robin to get a long running solo title called Robin.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Roth posted:

Me:

Bat-Mite, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Animal Man

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

Me:

Wally West, Wonder Woman, Dick Grayson, Martian Manhunter, Cassandra Cain

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Roth posted:

Me:

Power Girl, Saint Walker, Kate Kane, the Riddler, Wonder Woman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Me:

Wild Dog, Blue Devil, Firestorm, Suicide Squad/Deadshot

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

The Face, The Jokester, Forerunner

Left out Jokers Daughter so I can't take this post seriously.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm a sucker for Superman. Like, a "I read all of Scott Lobdell's Superman willingly" sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Wild Dog

edit:
Oh yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIpZdVIsPM&t=27s
Batman 66/LOSH one-shot from the Allreds out June 14th :toot:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 12, 2017