Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I must have missed it this morning when I watched it (getting on the train and all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Re: Mouth Sync comments, I wonder if Joel has Baron and Hampton practicing with the bots and if they'll take the feedback regarding the bots mouth/riff timing and go back to doing the riffs and puppeteering "live" while watching playback of the film. From the Q&A, it seemed like Joel was worried about having Baron and Hampton "learn on the go" how to riff and bot at the same time. It sounds like the new crew gets a bit better at it in later episodes, but the method they tried this season was that they pre-recorded the riffs in a studio and then tried syncing the silhouette movements afterwards. I'm still not sure that Crow benefits much from being operated by four people or Tom from three...

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ComposerGuy posted:

12:01 AM PT, yeah.

PT! gently caress this! [overturns table. apologizes to mom. mops up mt dew.]
Cool.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Having only watched a few minutes of the 2nd ep, I'll note that the frantic riffing kind of calms down a bit which is nice but.. I feel like hardly any of the riffs are connected, if that makes sense?

Like for example, a riff like the extended bit on Mike Pipper's voice in Final Sacrifice doesn't seem like it's in the cards here. The cut/paste style riffing is kinda bad, imo.

Having said that! I will still keep watching. I'm finding about 30% of the jokes do land, but there are like 50% more per minute so.. I guess it evens out.

Also one of them (crow maybe, I am still having trouble telling them apart) riffs wayyy too fast, like trying to cram a 10 word sentence into 1.5 seconds.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Episode 2: SMOKE BOMB HAT!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

brucio posted:

Having only watched a few minutes of the 2nd ep, I'll note that the frantic riffing kind of calms down a bit which is nice but.. I feel like hardly any of the riffs are connected, if that makes sense?

Like for example, a riff like the extended bit on Mike Pipper's voice in Final Sacrifice doesn't seem like it's in the cards here. The cut/paste style riffing is kinda bad, imo.

Having said that! I will still keep watching. I'm finding about 30% of the jokes do land, but there are like 50% more per minute so.. I guess it evens out.

Also one of them (crow maybe, I am still having trouble telling them apart) riffs wayyy too fast, like trying to cram a 10 word sentence into 1.5 seconds.

I dunno. Again, I haven't watched them yet but keep in mind we've had some riffs for years. Final Sacrifice is very nearly 20 years old. It's ingrained in most of us. I know I've seen in or at least had it on in the background couples times. I don't know if it's fair to compare. Not saying you're wrong about the speed of riffs but it's tricky to use old episodes as the yardstick. At least until Friday when I can watch some eps and agree with you 100%. Ha.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I agree the riffing feels a little more "frantic" at times (though it tones down from the pilot to some degree)...but honestly I don't think it bothers me much at all. It's just different. The jokes are still funny, and in fact I'm finding myself laughing maybe even slightly more because I understand more of the references. I think the more rapid-fire delivery might even be necessary today to draw in new fans because that's where comedy has gone.

It just isn't a big enough change to get too worked up about, at least in my opinion. The bottom line for me has always been: Is this funny? That's how I've always judged episodes of MST3K. Everything else is details.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Having the topical jokes land is going to be a huge plus

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Despera posted:

Having the topical jokes land is going to be a huge plus

Jokes about John Sununu's excessive travel expenses are timeless!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ComposerGuy posted:

I agree the riffing feels a little more "frantic" at times (though it tones down from the pilot to some degree)...but honestly I don't think it bothers me much at all. It's just different. The jokes are still funny, and in fact I'm finding myself laughing maybe even slightly more because I understand more of the references. I think the more rapid-fire delivery might even be necessary today to draw in new fans because that's where comedy has gone.

It's kind of insane in retrospect to think about how much MST3K's style of humor shaped a lot of what came after it, particularly on the Internet. I remember a lot of the early comedy sites had a pretty big MSTie contingent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ack, with all these spoilers, I feel like I'm about to... SHAKE HANDS WITH DANGER

(I'm sorry to everyone who now has that song in their head)

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Holy crap. Cry Wilderness is gatdag amazing. Every ten minutes there's something new and inscrutable! It might be one of my favorite episodes already.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 13, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm waiting until Friday to watch the rest of the season with a friend... are there any shorts?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

MisterZimbu posted:

Episode 2: SMOKE BOMB HAT!

Did you drip?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I just finished episode 5 and wooooo boy.

The Monster of Hollow Mountain is 97 percent bland cowboy movie and 3 percent the funniest goddamn movie monster I think I've ever seen.

But at the same time, there was zero reason for a monster to be in this movie. A full hour is dedicated to setting up our hero, his friends, a love interest, and a human antagonist with a plot of its own. Absolutely nothing foreshadows this monster. No one talks about a monster, no one hints at a monster.

Then, suddenly, literally 15 minutes from the end of the film, GIANT CLAYMATION T-REX FROM NOWHERE.

It's amazing.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 12, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mirage posted:

Did you drip?

WHY IS THE WHOLE CAST OF CRY WILDERNESS YELLING ALL THE TIME?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The 4th episode Avalanche is my favorite so far, the insanity of the movie plus the fun host segments combine for a really good episode. Rock Hudson, Mia Farrow, Robert Forster in the movie and Neil Patrick Harris singing a duet with Kinga for a host segment? I liked it very much.

Still having trouble getting used to Gypsy being voiced by a woman though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

duz posted:

The 4th episode Avalanche is my favorite so far, the insanity of the movie plus the fun host segments combine for a really good episode. Rock Hudson, Mia Farrow, Robert Forster in the movie and Neil Patrick Harris singing a duet with Kinga for a host segment? I liked it very much.

Still having trouble getting used to Gypsy being voiced by a woman though.

Im having a hard with with Gypsy not being (in their original design idea) a mentally challenged dragon

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

How the hell do you have Mark Hamill as a guest star and not have him appear in the Starcrash episode?!? :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay, the second episode landed way better than the first for me. Thanks in no small part to the movie being COMPLETELY BONKERS!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sesq posted:

Holy crap. Cry Wilderness is gatdag amazing. Every ten minutes there's something new and inscrutable! It might be one of my favorite episodes already.

I find it to be the perfect B-side to RiffTrax's I Believe in Santa Claus. It's that same flavor of "It's okay if we're campy and weird because it's a kid's movie" that goes way too far and is just loving inexplicable.

I laughed my rear end off at the final two minutes without even needing the riffs because what the hell did I even watch?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Only two episodes in, and pacing still feels rushed. Not just the faster riffing, but some of the host segments feel really forced. Just want to see them all take a breath and maybe play off each other more rather than plow through the exposition, if that makes any sense.

Maybe it's just because all the cool new poo poo going on in the Mads' base has something to do with it. I really want to see more of who they are and what the hell is it they're up to.

Still liking it overall! Just my general thoughts so far.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
I think the pacing thing is partly a generational difference. Look at the speed of Rocko's Modern Life compared to something like Adventure Time.

The new pace is something I still need to get used to because I'm just used to MST being sharp-witted slackers.

I was only 8 when I started watching the show on Sci Fi, so I sort of grew up on the Mike era and Blockbuster rentals of the Joel episodes, but so far the new season doesn't wallow in the fanservice quagmire or alienate original fans.

I've noticed a couple times in the first two episodes during the host segments that Jonah flubs his lines, so it's interesting to see that, considering even slight line hesitations demand a re-shoot for most shows.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Joel's first appearance is for a sketch that is loving fantastic

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Oh whoops I watched the last episode of the season instead of the second one. That was weird.

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

victorious posted:

Oh whoops I watched the last episode of the season instead of the second one. That was weird.

That happened to me too, I guess I was accidentally following the wrong link from the new videos announcment email. It was quite confusing...

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Nestorix posted:

That happened to me too, I guess I was accidentally following the wrong link from the new videos announcment email. It was quite confusing...

Yup, same as me. If you clicked the link in the email that let you know the rest of the season was available, it went straight to episode 14. Whoops.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Junkie Disease posted:

Joel's first appearance is for a sketch that is loving fantastic

And also includes head writer Elliott Kalan! It was great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gavok posted:

I find it to be the perfect B-side to RiffTrax's I Believe in Santa Claus. It's that same flavor of "It's okay if we're campy and weird because it's a kid's movie" that goes way too far and is just loving inexplicable.

I laughed my rear end off at the final two minutes without even needing the riffs because what the hell did I even watch?

I think I may end up making "That must be the _____ that escaped from the circus!" a new personal riff for anything that shows up in a movie out of left field. It wouldn't port back to the movie itself very well though, because I'd be saying it at least once every. single. scene.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I dare someone to explain Cry Wilderness to me.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Private School drugs are the best drugs around. Paul never actually leaves the school. He's tripping balls the entire time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've seen it unriffed and complete. It makes no sense at all, although the print in the episode seems much nicer than the dvd and streaming one.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed the song Felicia Day, Neil Patrick Harris, and Patton Oswalt sang on MST3K is a sentence I can't believe I'm actually saying.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Happy life day"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Evil Mastermind posted:

*laughs unnecessarily*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gavok posted:

That was basically my reaction to the RiffTrax of R.O.T.O.R., which is one of the most bugnuts stupid things I've ever seen. The ending is hilarious.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

That was basically my reaction to the RiffTrax of R.O.T.O.R., which is one of the most bugnuts stupid things I've ever seen. The ending is hilarious.

Also Cybertracker. The chorus of "Wait, what?" came from both the Rifftrax guys and me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timby posted:

A movie like R.O.T.O.R. makes "sense" if you consider that the studio probably just said "make a movie that's like robocop and we don't give a poo poo about anything else about it", which is probably almost exactly what happened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who's the guy who replaces Jonah as host during Kinga's weird hallucination for a moment at the end of Carnival Magic? The credits list Matt McGinnis as "Matt Claude Van Damme." He's a producer for the show, but I can't find his picture. Is this something that other episodes explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Timby posted:

I'd like a master list of MST3K/RiffTrax movies with completely bonkers endings.