Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I meant level, not location. You can't have a higher level person do something for you when such a person does not exist yet.

I thought we were talking about catchup mechanics, not gearing up a crafter before anyone else has geared up.

Of course that's going to be difficult, and if you think it shouldn't be, then I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
And people wonder why I simply say "no" to playing non combat classes in this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I leveled my crafters to 60 using moogle quests just so I would continue to be able to repair in stormblood

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
WVR was my first 60 and I'm probably going to do that again because I'm a huge dumbfuck.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I leveled my crafters to 60 using moogle quests just so I would continue to be able to repair in stormblood

Yeah being able to repair your poo poo whenever you want is really nice. I might be biased because of the one time my weapon broke while I was tanking WP.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Who are the FATE superbosses? I've beaten Odin and Behemoth for sure. Coeurl Queen I guess? And I don't know if the Proto-Ultima one still exists after the update to Dun Scaith. Either way, I've never even seen that guy since there's no reason to ever be in Azys Lla.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Who are the FATE superbosses? I've beaten Odin and Behemoth for sure. Coeurl Queen I guess? And I don't know if the Proto-Ultima one still exists after the update to Dun Scaith. Either way, I've never even seen that guy since there's no reason to ever be in Azys Lla.

Yeah those are the only 4 right now that share a specific cooldown, with Coeurlregina being 3 chained FATEs that spawn 8(?) hours apart from eachother. Prey Online still spawns, you never fought Proto-Ultima during it. He just flies around Azys Lla during the special weather when the FATE spawns and drops AoEs.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, that's the only reason I leveled all my crafting classes. Everything to do with crafting just looks super complicated and requires a huge investment, so I just ignore it. If I need something crafted, my FC has me covered.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Same. That and HQ Ishgardian muffins are super quick to churn out at max level.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
New interview:

quote:

Have there been any discussions regarding adding more bosses to the 8 man raids (currently 4 per tier)?

Firstly, I want to thank you for always supporting FFXIV through your streams and other platforms!

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to add more bosses to the raid series that are added with each tier. The reason being that creating four bosses is the most we can do if we are to keep the current level of quality and adhere to our update schedule. I believe that sacrificing either the release timing or quality will lessen the excitement that these raids offer to players. So while maintaining our status quo, we are hoping to add some sort of new high-difficulty challenge for the odd numbered patches such as 4.1 and 4.3.

In World of Warcraft, the Mythic+ system gives standard dungeons more replayability. If you’re unfamiliar, it allows players to re-run dungeons with more difficult enemies and random modifiers, such as more health or spawning more enemies in exchange for more powerful loot. Would you ever consider adding similar system? If not, would you give players more options to modify their dungeon/raid experience, similar to Minimum Item Level & Unsynced dungeons?

We are currently exploring ways to add challenges for players by increasing available play options with additional rewards for playing with limitations--such as playing with a set Minimum Item Level, or perhaps utilizing the unsynced dungeon function that we currently have in game. Since we are currently wrapped up in 4.0-related tasks, implementation of these ideas and would have to take place sometime during the 4.x series of updates. However, we are thinking about adding in mechanics that will add new layers of enjoyment for players through the existing dungeons once again. First, it is likely to become something along the lines of challenging yourself to a dungeon with your adventurer squadron.

The initial reveal of Stormblood’s features listed “Challenging New Dungeons”. Will these dungeons be more difficult than the current ones?

I do think that in terms of difficulty, players may feel that the new dungeons are quite different from what they have experienced up until now due to the gameplay changes we will be making: re-examining of skills for all jobs, implementing shared actions by roles, and raising the level cap. The difficulty level settings of the dungeon itself will not be that different from how it is currently, and whatever difference you feel will mostly be due to the change from what you have grown “accustomed to” thus far. Just as we have been doing until now, we will prepare challenges players can enjoy after they’ve capped their level.

Palace of the Dead was met with a lot of praise, though the objective for each floor is always the same. Defeat enemies until the exit appears. Have you considered adding a variety of objectives for the next Deep Dungeon?

I cannot clearly state when we will implement the next part in the Deep Dungeon series, but we are planning to include new elements of course, and also create one where there will be a variety of objectives, places, and play styles. We are reading everyone’s feedback and so I would love for everyone to wait for more information on this!

With the recent relaunch of the Diadem, players are wondering if Eureka will function similarly. What key differences will exist to differentiate Eureka from Exploratory Missions?

No, we will use play data and feedback from the relaunched Diadem as reference for Eureka, but we plan for it to be completely different character and item development content. The greatest difference would be that the theme for Eureka is “exploration and growth.” Everything else is still a secret! :p

You’ve often expressed concerns about adding Set Bonuses on gear due to difficulty in maintaining job balance or players making Set Bonuses mandatory for content. Have you considered Set Bonuses that offer cosmetic effects instead of stat bonuses? An example would be slightly enhancing/changing the animation of a skill, or perhaps giving off an aura when all the pieces are worn together?

Recently, I have been more optimistic about adding set bonuses to high-level raid gear, as it seems that it will greatly contribute to the player’s motivation to get through all of the tiers. However, if we are to implement this feature, I believe it would only be for the highest level of difficulty raids. It is also possible to offer graphical effects to it as well, but that may interfere with the enjoyment of “dressing up” in the game so that is a hard decision to make...

The Allied Beast Tribe quests in both ARR & Heavensward are both wonderful. Would it ever be possible to bring ALL of the Beast Tribes together for a quest?

Thank you for enjoying the Allied Beast Tribe quests! These quests are fun to make for us too, so I would like for them to continue, but I do think that a cut scene featuring all the Beast Tribes would be enormous... (laughs)! I won’t say that we don’t plan on doing anything like that, but we are currently creating the quest lines for the new tribes at the moment. Once these have been completed, it may be good to explore the interactions between the different Beast Tribe a bit more in depth!

Stormblood is going to see the implementation of swimming and diving into the game. While there will be no underwater combat, has the team considered using swimming/diving in dungeons or other instanced content? Such as needing to swim through deadly areas or swimming to escape a boss mechanic?

There are several pieces of content planned that will involve having players swim as a method of transportation. However, we haven’t gotten around to creating specific gameplay elements that incorporate swimming. This was the same for flying, but if we do end up using swimming in this fashion, then we would need to create content specifically designed for swimming, or else it wouldn’t be as fun. The FFXIV development team is currently in the planning stages for the 4.x Patch series, while also working on creating a massive amount content for Stormblood, but if we come up with a good idea while working on all of the new content, something utilizing swimming may be realized for future content!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd have liked to see the Ixal go to Azys Lla

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd have liked to see the Ixal go to Azys Lla
Aren't all these intelligent beasts and stuff basically the results of gruesome experiments by the Allagan? I dunno if I wanna see the Ixal version of Prometheus.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah, just the Ixal. As far as we know so far anyway. They were explicitly supposed to be aerial soldiers (and Garuda was the general in charge of the division, though the primal version obviously has... little in common), but the Ixal were the failures who were just discarded.

Yeah their whole existence is pretty sad.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What I want to know is how the gently caress the Ixal got down from Azys Lla.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want to see Chicken Run, but with Ixals.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

vOv posted:

What I want to know is how the gently caress the Ixal got down from Azys Lla.

Doesn't their lore indicate that they used to be able to fly? It'd be pretty simple for them to escape to the mainland as long as the shield was down then. I don't want to think about how many of them went splat against the defenses though :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

Doesn't their lore indicate that they used to be able to fly? It'd be pretty simple for them to escape to the mainland as long as the shield was down then. I don't want to think about how many of them went splat against the defenses though :(

You fight their flying predecessors in Fractal.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The WoL also gets really uncomfortable when the Ehcatl Nine talk about it after you get through Fractal. If you've done their beast tribe quests go find that npc that gives you that list of 'who are you, what do you do here' etc. questions to see it for yourself.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
It's quite possible that the Ixal are descendants of Iksalions who were deployed beyond Azys Lla when the Fourth Umbral began and the island went into slumber mode. Allag used chimerae for a lot, so it's entirely possible some were out in the wider world when everything went to pot for Allag.

Asimo posted:

Nah, just the Ixal. As far as we know so far anyway. They were explicitly supposed to be aerial soldiers (and Garuda was the general in charge of the division, though the primal version obviously has... little in common), but the Ixal were the failures who were just discarded.

Yeah their whole existence is pretty sad.

Fishing also implies fairly heavily that Lalafells are some kind of Allagan genetic experiment run amok, but there haven't been any documents recovered detailing their origins just yet.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 12, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pretty sure there were lalafels before the allagahns but I may have nt been reading the book right

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Allag created lalas by cross-breeding a potato with another potato.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skaw posted:

Yeah those are the only 4 right now that share a specific cooldown, with Coeurlregina being 3 chained FATEs that spawn 8(?) hours apart from eachother. Prey Online still spawns, you never fought Proto-Ultima during it. He just flies around Azys Lla during the special weather when the FATE spawns and drops AoEs.

8 hours? Who the hell would benefit from that?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

can't wait to farm light aetheric condensation aetherial attunement in stormblood

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

8 hours? Who the hell would benefit from that?

Literally nobody, which is why nobody bothers to fight the first FATE so nobody ever sees the conclusion.

If it was maybe one hour at most between FATEs that might make it worthwhile to do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Pretty sure there were lalafels before the allagahns but I may have nt been reading the book right

The earliest the lore book mentions Lalafells being present is the 5th Astral Era, long after the Allagans were gone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I put this game down awhile back (around the start of the xpac?), but a friend is considering getting into it and is about to give the trial a shot, so I'm thinking about resubbing to play with him. How much can I group with him with my max level dude? Like the dungeons and stuff will scale me down or I can just play another job, but he's still going to need to take time and go do all his story stuff solo, right?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

I put this game down awhile back (around the start of the xpac?), but a friend is considering getting into it and is about to give the trial a shot, so I'm thinking about resubbing to play with him. How much can I group with him with my max level dude? Like the dungeons and stuff will scale me down or I can just play another job, but he's still going to need to take time and go do all his story stuff solo, right?

Yeah, there's still a fair amount of solo stuff. You can still hang out with him for any outdoor quests, either grouped up with a low level alt class or separate with your main so you can kill the poo poo out of things after he gets the first punch in.

Solo instances are still solo, but they're short.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Having to constantly join and break groups for solo content gets old fast so hope you guys have some third party chat in use.

After level 16 your buddy will start unlocking dungeons and later trials which are the main group content. This is a great opportunity to level up new jobs as well as dungeons at job level are great XP.

Edit: to actually answer your question, yeah, high level characters get level synced down for group content

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Literally nobody, which is why nobody bothers to fight the first FATE so nobody ever sees the conclusion.

If it was maybe one hour at most between FATEs that might make it worthwhile to do.

Yeah, I'm not even sure of Coeurlregina offers any better experience than your typical boss FATE.

I also forgot about the one Churning Mist FATE that uses the weird algorithm of loosely related FATEs being completed to determine if it even spawns at all. Rewards a barding for fighting the good white dragon that shows up in the one chain there. Vedrfolnir Devoteth. I have never seen it up.

I've also double checked, and the Coeurlregina chains spawn 4 hours apart.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 13, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skaw posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure of Coeurlregina offers any better experience than your typical boss FATE.

I also forgot about the one Churning Mist FATE that uses the weird algorithm of loosely related FATEs being completed to determine if it even spawns at all. Rewards a barding for fighting the good white dragon that shows up in the one chain there. Vedrfolnir Devoteth. I have never seen it up.

I've also double checked, and the Coeurlregina chains spawn 4 hours apart.

Jeez don't remind me of the Churning Mists FATE series. I did manage to complete it once by joining in on a large group running them in sequence (because unlike Coerulregina, they start one after the other). But NPC callouts are the most overwrought, cringe-inducing writing in the entire game, and you are bombarded by them constantly the whole time. All centered around Verdfolnir's nemesis and Nidhogg's most fearsome general... Darkscale. :geno:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Jeez don't remind me of the Churning Mists FATE series. I did manage to complete it once by joining in on a large group running them in sequence (because unlike Coerulregina, they start one after the other). But NPC callouts are the most overwrought, cringe-inducing writing in the entire game, and you are bombarded by them constantly the whole time. All centered around Verdfolnir's nemesis and Nidhogg's most fearsome general... Darkscale. :geno:

At least it had pretty great non-dungeon XP for the time. Before the FATE XP Buffs even.

It was a new Svara for a new age!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I wonder if content like these multi-part story FATEs is the reason they do FATE-grinding events. I know that poo poo can get old after awhile, but it was cool to beat some of the mega bosses and do the Highbridge thing when Yo-Kai watch was on.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When's the next big event for them to show off more of Stormblood?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But that's obviously a joke.

... right?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It has to be; they went a little too far with the "boyfriend-free girlfriend" bit, pushed it just a bit too far beyond the realm of believability.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh hey chris chan plays this game?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hobbesmaster posted:

... right?

If it's balmung, 50/50.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

... right?

He's not serious if he doesn't have an ilevel requirement for his waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think I found the secret to frontlines: Play blm. Players effectively invincible when a healer is looking at them? Sleep the healers. Got a tank jumping through your back line? Blizzard 2. Got your lb ready? Mass sleep their back line and lb the fuckers. Get a fellow caster chum to LB with you and delete the enemy. Throw thunders on everyone to annoy healers who either cleanse or trying to keep everyone at 100%. Get a thunder 3 proc, sleep the healers, sharpcast, phantom dart the nearest guy at 60%. thunder cast 3 into another thundercast 3, if they're alive use lethargy to keep them from running and use scathe.

E: Really, I don't see any reason to use fire and go through that rotation when you thundercloud everyone. Keep blizz 3 and use it to have infinite mana to thunder and sleep more people. Use freeze or blizzard 2 in chokes when everyone runs to the big crystals to delay them for a few seconds. Be invincible for a bit with manawall

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread