Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Platystemon posted:

The way it just hangs there for a moment. :discourse:

just a fraction of a second to get that perfect fuel/air mixture before the lid blasts on outta there

edit - sewer drama! watch though the end, it returns!.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BkFp5CL4q0

Tumble fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I hope that manhole cover didn't hit anyone when it came back down.

At least nobody we know or care about

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That reminds me, anyone remember that manhole cover over a shaft with a nuke at the bottom story? Even though they say it didn't, I like to believe that manhole cover reached orbit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

That reminds me, anyone remember that manhole cover over a shaft with a nuke at the bottom story? Even though they say it didn't, I like to believe that manhole cover reached orbit.

quote:

Operation Plumbbob

Propulsion of steel plate cap

During the Pascal-B nuclear test, a 900-kilogram (2,000 lb) steel plate cap (a piece of armor plate) was blasted off the top of a test shaft at a speed of more than 66 km/s (41 mi/s; 240,000 km/h; 150,000 mph). Before the test, experimental designer Dr. Brownlee had estimated that the nuclear explosion, combined with the specific design of the shaft, would accelerate the plate to approximately six times Earth's escape velocity.[9] The plate was never found, but Dr. Brownlee believes that the plate did not leave the atmosphere, as it may even have been vaporized by compression heating of the atmosphere due to its high speed. The calculated velocity was sufficiently interesting that the crew trained a high-speed camera on the plate, which unfortunately only appeared in one frame, but this nevertheless gave a very high lower bound for its speed. After the event, Dr. Robert R. Brownlee described the best estimate of the cover's speed from the photographic evidence as "going like a bat out of hell!"[9][10]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ak Gara posted:

That was the Pascal‐B test of 27 August 1957.

e:f;b but check those post times.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

e:f;b but check those post times.

What...how?

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Just "straight up" doesn't get you into earth orbit without a circularization burn. Enough up and you get to skip earth orbit and go straight to a solar orbit, but that's probably also enough energy to turn iron into iron vapor, so.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sam Hall posted:

Just "straight up" doesn't get you into earth orbit without a circularization burn. Enough up and you get to skip earth orbit and go straight to a solar orbit, but that's probably also enough energy to turn iron into iron vapor, so.

Look at Kerbal Space Program expert over here.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

qkkl posted:

How do they test that something is dangerous to the eyes? Did some poor chimp get acid dripped into its eyeballs?

Easy, everything that isn't meant to go in your eyes is dangerous to eyes. The more reactive it is, the worse it's going to be. No one needs to squirt a rat in a face with a fracking fluid that melts plastics to figure that out that it's not going to be a Visine replacement.

Animals testing gets done if something needs to be tested to be safe for eyes, severity of damage/irritation, or to learn about treatments.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jetz0r posted:

Easy, everything that isn't meant to go in your eyes is dangerous to eyes. The more reactive it is, the worse it's going to be. No one needs to squirt a rat in a face with a fracking fluid that melts plastics to figure that out that it's not going to be a Visine replacement.

Animals testing gets done if something needs to be tested to be safe for eyes, severity of damage/irritation, or to learn about treatments.

They use rabbits primarily for eye safety tests, anyway. And yes, some of the them did in the past get blinded with nasty chemicals just to prove they actually did. Millions of animals have been sacrificed for medical and human safety experiments through the years, providing unique and valuable data we could not have obtained any other way.

"Just how dangerous is it?" is a question that needs to be answered, and we use laboratory animals to get those answers. Thousands of them for most tests so as to get statistically meaningful results. No point in making it sound better than it is. It's a grisly business, but necessary to advance human health.

You're right about fracking fluid, though, and other formulated products like that. They generally won't test the finished product if they have a good idea of what the components are and what each will do individually. They can model pretty accurately the combined effect. They do try to minimize the number of animals needed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/2c0xqBe.gifv

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Pro

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I like where the Fast and Furious franchise is headed

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
If you reverse-GIS this, it turns out to be from the Haditha Massacre. :whitewater:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tuxedo Ted posted:

the cover died on its way to its home planet

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sam Hall posted:

In some alternate universe, the manhole cover leaves atmosphere, then turns back, in the meanwhile earth has rotated enough that the cover splashes on Kremlin killing Khruschev and igniting WW3.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That manhole is actually the records on the Voyager probe.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

at 66 km/s that thing was nothing more than a warm breeze by the time it hit the tropopause

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Tug life

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sewer gas does poo poo.

Passerby - "Man, no one can get this guy to take his coat off!"
Manhole - "... hold my beer."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sewer gas does poo poo.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The whole shebang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgj-GSGyQqE

Cover hits a nearby building.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tumble posted:

edit - sewer drama! watch though the end, it returns!.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BkFp5CL4q0

The number of people that just say "gently caress it I'm drivin' through" amaze me. My bet is that's the end of a storm sewer interceptor line that's probably dumping into an estuary somewhere nearby that's getting a bitchin' series of storm surges.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The number of people that just say "gently caress it I'm drivin' through" amaze me. My bet is that's the end of a storm sewer interceptor line that's probably dumping into an estuary somewhere nearby that's getting a bitchin' series of storm surges.

I don't think the car at 0:15 ever makes it through :tinfoil:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Every time we get flooded there's plenty of news coverage of school run mothers and travelling salespeople who think that they know how to ford or drive through water, not realising that their SUV isn't a magical boat car or that their poverty spec BMW has an airbox less than a foot off the ground.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Theophany posted:

Every time we get flooded there's plenty of news coverage of school run mothers and travelling salespeople who think that they know how to ford or drive through water, not realising that their SUV isn't a magical boat car or that their poverty spec BMW has an airbox less than a foot off the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlsIwhZHLo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

That guy looked like he was on day release from some form of institute.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

VectorSigma posted:

at 66 km/s that thing was nothing more than a warm breeze by the time it hit the tropopause

it was probably going too fast to totally burn up

http://www.businessinsider.com/fast...ure-happened-17

the scientist that designed those tests is fairly confident it made it to space!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am pretty sure that Business Insider is a joke paper, like The Onion.

Here's my favourite comedy piece of theirs: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-ebony-horton-paid-off-220000-worth-of-student-loans-in-3-years-2017-3

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is still my favourite "Idiot tries to drive through flooded underpass" video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLgVi4PJck

Edit: drat, this one is great too but I think the first one just edges it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnT7thvsPM4

Here's the proper way to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3_IZWhX0g

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 12, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prime username/post combo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That poor little windshield wiper. He's trying his hardest, but doesn't stand a chance :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Greatest Living Man posted:

I don't think the car at 0:15 ever makes it through :tinfoil:

So you didn't watch to 0:40 then?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Keeping your windshield wipers going is the key to success, folks.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tumble posted:

it was probably going too fast to totally burn up

http://www.businessinsider.com/fast...ure-happened-17

the scientist that designed those tests is fairly confident it made it to space!

So, if it made it to space, about where in the solar system would it be right now?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, if it made it to space, about where in the solar system would it be right now?

Well best case it's traveled ~124 billion miles since October 7th 1957 (last date of those tests) but the solar system has a radius of 144 billion miles (orbit of Neptune) so somewhere near the orbit of Neptune.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

did some quickie calcs, and the drag force (at 10,000 ft altitude) experienced by a spherical object approximating the size of that cap would approach 4 billion newtons. i could see one ton of steel resisting the heat long enough to clear the atmosphere, but not the mechanical stress. change that sphere into a tumbling manhole cover and all bets are off.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
where's the video where a local news guy is talking about how a parking garage got flooded in heavy rain and he says "local residents were not happy about the flooding" and it just cuts to a guy next to his ruined car screaming "F**************CK! F*************CK!" like five times lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deteriorata posted:

Keeping your windshield wipers going is the key to success, folks.

Yes, it is. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoFNVp739xo