Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i guess pizza hut book club was kind of a prototype #woke but except it actually tried to do something good idk? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i liked that book pratchett did and let neil gaiman also put his name on

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
i'm reading alan moore's providence right now, which is all about lovecraftian poo poo and i've never read any lovecraft. i know he was a big racist but are his stories entertaining at all?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Like, Ender's brother completely took over the world through posting on the Internet. Orson Scott Card predicted Trump so far out.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Sir, this is a pizza hut book club we don't take Wealth of Nations as credit towards your free small cheese pie

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fosborb posted:

enders game was given out to all the <talented and gifted> kids back in the 90s because empathy/shared experience.

you just described like 70% of this thread

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

That is my bhole, I use it for pooping!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Book It!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

i liked that book pratchett did and let neil gaiman also put his name on

Good Omens?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Fidel Castronaut posted:

i'm reading alan moore's providence right now, which is all about lovecraftian poo poo and i've never read any lovecraft. i know he was a big racist but are his stories entertaining at all?

it's a mixed bad but often yes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Remember when some kid sassed Ender on a transport so Ender broke his arm on a seat and threw him across the cabin and then everyone respected this halfweight spazjob who drat near killed a kid over a joke?

Everybody is given standing ovation and mad respects for owning a jabroni multiple times in life, Card relates this well to angry nerd

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yessum

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pizza Hut book club loving owned

Do they even do that anymore or do a lot of their customers equate reading with sinful liberalism and start boycotting

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
can you imagine the level of burns and cefte-level dismantlings needed to take over the world

thru shitposting

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lastgirl posted:

pizza hut bookclubs were a thing in the 90s so idk if enders game was on the list fer tha

P sure book it was for lower-level reading than enders game. I recall reading Raise the Titanic in second grade and then being so bummed that it didn't count for a star on that holographic pin that my kindly old grandmotherly teacher went to pizza hut and got me a pizza herself.

:rip: Mrs Stanley you were literally the best teacher a kid could have

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

it's a mixed bad but often yes.

is there somewhere i should start? like a story that will give me a good idea if this is somebody i want to keep reading?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
remember when Ender straight up murdered like three kids in cold blood and it was covered up by the authorities because he was just too special to inconvenience with things like "legal ramifications"

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Squizzle posted:

whats yr favorite romance subgenre

urban fantasy of course

laurell k hamilton is my muse

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Epic High Five posted:

You know I tried my hardest to get into OSC and I sort of enjoyed Speaker for the Dead but then he wrote himself out of a plot hole by having like 4 of his super turbo ultra Mary Sue characters chat for a week and miraculously solve FTL travel and I was like

Nope

Done

yeah like, wifi support and open source poo poo is cool and all but like i have had gear as old as i am that plays fine off midi and most of my stuff is cv so idk

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Epic High Five posted:

Do they even do that anymore or do a lot of their customers equate reading with sinful liberalism and start boycotting

yeah, go to a pizza hut and show them your good reads list

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Moore or lovecraft?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

i'd imagine the fast food thing would be a bigger problem to good liberal parents

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ex post facho posted:

can you imagine the level of burns and cefte-level dismantlings needed to take over the world

I mean, it's possible

Like 50 years from now when Twitter and Facebook have completely metastasized and auto-translation has advanced to the point where nuance is preserved, and the human population has collapsed to half of what it is today because of climate change which consequently makes messages more and more meaningful since you're reaching proportionally more people with each outreach

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

no, you cant separate the art from the artist. thats impossible!!!!!!!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Fidel Castronaut posted:

is there somewhere i should start? like a story that will give me a good idea if this is somebody i want to keep reading?

couldn't really say, it's been a drat long loving while since i've read me some lovecraft and i couldn't match titles up to a lot of things i remember if i tried

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Epic High Five posted:

STILL WAITIN FOR UR FRIEND REUQEST BTW

sent it!!!! im sorry i started watching KONG and it fukken ruled

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

paranoid randroid posted:

remember when Ender straight up murdered like three kids in cold blood and it was covered up by the authorities because he was just too special to inconvenience with things like "legal ramifications"

Lol I thought it was because he straight up told them the ghost of space patton was his roomie

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Moore or lovecraft?

sorry, lovecraft. i love moore, even if he's completely absurd as a person.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Enders Shadow was the first book i remember being viscerally grossed out by

that scene where Bean just kind of hangs back and watches the boss of his gang get murdered by another kid while thinking "heh heh stupid bitch shoulda listened to me" did not exactly cast the character in a good light, and yet the reader is meant to applaud him for being so darn smart

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i would skim the big kid books, because you got more points for them. then i'd half rear end the test on the performa to get my personal pans

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I had no idea Mary Tyler Moore did comics

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

To be honest this was maybe too real for the South, except its a fantasy about brains instead of being the kid of a school board member.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fidel Castronaut posted:

sorry, lovecraft. i love moore, even if he's completely absurd as a person.

Moore being a complete kook endears him even more to me tbqh

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no, you cant separate the art from the artist. thats impossible!!!!!!!

code:
I N T E R T E X T U A L I T Y

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fidel Castronaut posted:

i'd imagine the fast food thing would be a bigger problem to good liberal parents

In my experience in managing restaurants I can assure yuuou that glomming free food for any reason you can find is a bipartisan issue

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Enders Shadow was the first book i remember being viscerally grossed out by

that scene where Bean just kind of hangs back and watches the boss of his gang get murdered by another kid while thinking "heh heh stupid bitch shoulda listened to me" did not exactly cast the character in a good light, and yet the reader is meant to applaud him for being so darn smart

p r a g m a t i c i s m

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Orson Scott Card is real hosed up, yall

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fosborb posted:

To be honest this was maybe too real for the South, except its a fantasy about brains instead of being the kid of a school board member.

Oh yeah I remember Affluenza being the one between speaker for the dead and xenocide

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I remember The Whipping Boy being the best way to cheese the system, among a few others that were very short but counted for a lot of points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh yeah I remember Affluenza being the one between speaker for the dead and xenocide

haha drat

• Locked thread