Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

I was a fan of season one of The Leftovers and then became an even bigger fan with the second season, but all for naught as it was riding the line of cancellation and HBO dropped the hammer...

...except that isn't what happened at all, but somehow that's how I remembered it. So imagine my surprise when several days ago I happen to see an article about a third season and thought it was some sort of joke. But it wasn't, and I was flabbergasted that my memory had altered events so dramatically.

The Leftovers returns for its third and final season this Sunday night. Who's excited?

I wish the Knick had the same chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

It isn't HBO anymore?

No, Starz.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loving hate Damon Lindelof but The Leftovers season 2 is one of the best things I've seen with my eyeballs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

less laughter posted:

Likely mandated by HBO when it was still going to be on their network. It's what they do.

Doubtful, the novel has many scenes (a couple of which are sex scenes) which have nothing to do with the "actual plot". It'd surprise me more if they cut them out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the book has a ton of weird stuff in it for the purpose of creating a weird atmosphere. And its filled with random chapters that don't connect at all but are meant to give you better understanding of the crazy world of the book, but you can't make them fit without massive rewrites.

The best solution would probably be to just use those chapters/scenes as cold opens to each episode or something. But the pilot is a different beast.

And yeah, some of those weird things are sex scenes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mu Zeta posted:

I loving hate Damon Lindelof but The Leftovers season 2 is one of the best things I've seen with my eyeballs.

I'm glad you're able to look past the Lindelof Factor and just appreciate and take a chance on the work itself. Wish more people would.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Carlton Cuse's voice creeps me out. I cant stand the first 2 seconds of Colony or Bates Motel it's just his dumb grainy ugly sounding voice saying "pruvusly un culunuyyyyy"

I've never had such a visceral reaction to a voice before.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

Likely mandated by HBO when it was still going to be on their network. It's what they do.

It's not like Starz is known for their subdued approach to sexuality in their shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

Carlton Cuse's voice creeps me out. I cant stand the first 2 seconds of Colony or Bates Motel it's just his dumb grainy ugly sounding voice saying "pruvusly un culunuyyyyy"

I've never had such a visceral reaction to a voice before.

I think his voice works perfectly for Bates Motel actually, but I could see where it might annoy some.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

I think his voice works perfectly for Bates Motel actually, but I could see where it might annoy some.

The first time it really jumped out at me was when he pulled over Rhianna (he cameo'd as the highway patrol guy) and I realized it wasn't modulated, or some voice actor guy. He just sounds that gravelley.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm, good to know. Can you say that the random side vignettes ever revealed anything important about the characters that illuminated their behavior in the main storyline?

Aside from one or two, they have nothing to do with the main storyline, and don't even take place in the same time period for​ the most part. They are interesting side stories in their own, but I'm not sure how they would work into a TV medium.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So does 13 Reasons Why improve, or does the pilot pretty much give you what you can expect?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

So does 13 Reasons Why improve, or does the pilot pretty much give you what you can expect?

How far in are you? I'd say the first 2-3 are mediocre but after that it picks up quite a bit. To me it was gut punching, and really tough to watch - and I mean that as a compliment

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had only finished the first one. I'm not uninterested, but it seemed like it could end up being super typical teen drama-y (and the central concept is a bit too ridiculous for me). Will carry on with it, though.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The first episode is the worst offender of the over the top teen drama, it is slightly toned down in the second and by the third episode it is mostly an afterthought.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Had only finished the first one. I'm not uninterested, but it seemed like it could end up being super typical teen drama-y (and the central concept is a bit too ridiculous for me). Will carry on with it, though.

As I explained in the thread I'm pretty sure the first episode is written the way it is because the show wants you to feel Hannah's issues snowball in the same way she does. As you go on further in the story it starts to feel pretty significantly different.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Need a new show while I take a break from Banshee. Should I start up Veep or The Leftovers?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One Punch Man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I'm half watching NCIS since it was on after Jeopardy.
Why is Fez on the show now, and why did they replace the black guy with another black guy with the same haircut but with a british accent?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So Homeland was actually pretty good this season. It wasn't a return to season 1-2 quality but it was pretty solid. Anyone who enjoyed the show early on but has been bored with more recent seasons should give a look.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hughmoris posted:

Need a new show while I take a break from Banshee. Should I start up Veep or The Leftovers?

That's a pretty wide gap between shows but Veep is great and would probably serve as a very good palette cleanser between Banshee and another long run series.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Mick had too many great moments to count tonight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scrubs is leaving Netflix on May 2. :(

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

STAC Goat posted:

That's a pretty wide gap between shows but Veep is great and would probably serve as a very good palette cleanser between Banshee and another long run series.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Watched the first few episodes, I'm enjoying it. The pacing and wit are great, the episodes feel like a sprint

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 12, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Scrubs is leaving Netflix on May 2. :(

I'm glad I binged that last year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*disregard

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I don't understand why Bob's Burgers had three seasons taken away from Netflix, leaving only Season 1 and 2. Like, why tease like that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

I don't understand why Bob's Burgers had three seasons taken away from Netflix, leaving only Season 1 and 2. Like, why tease like that?

Batman: Brave and the Bold only had seasons 2 and 3 up last year, and now it's just season 3.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lurdiak posted:

Batman: Brave and the Bold only had seasons 2 and 3 up last year, and now it's just season 3.

Are you outside the US? They used to have season 1 and 2, never had 3 (as far as I know). I never got the resolution to the Starro two-parter...

In other news, anybody else watch Hap and Leonard? Season 1 on Netflix, season 2 airing now in Sundance (but you can get it via AMC day after it airs). It's great, Michael K. Williams steals the show, and I don't think any show has ever made me go consistently so 'oh goddrat!' every time there's a twist that sets the direction of the next episode.
My boyfriend is probably sick of me raving about every single ep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not seen any of Hap and Leonard but planning on binging it once the second season is all out.

Which reminds me, now Imposters season 1 is done I'll be checking that out soon. People liked it, right?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Can someone tell me what superhero shows air this week?

I know Agents of Shield, but are there any others?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Are you outside the US? They used to have season 1 and 2, never had 3 (as far as I know). I never got the resolution to the Starro two-parter...

Yeah I'm in Canada. I think you got the better end of the deal because I didn't get to rewatch Menace of the Music Meister, the best episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Fox is taking away a lot of things- presumably they're gonna start their own streaming service with blackjack and hookers that will no doubt explode on the launch pad.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

BSam posted:

Can someone tell me what superhero shows air this week?

I know Agents of Shield, but are there any others?

Nothing except Powerless on the 13th. Legion's done for the season, so's Legends of Tomorrow, and Gotham, Flash, Supergirl, and Arrow don't come back until next week. If you're talking comic books, iZombie came back on last week, so there's two episodes out now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Holy poo poo powerless is still going?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BSam posted:

Holy poo poo powerless is still going?

This is what I say every time the DVR records a new one, yeah

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anybody make a Fargo thread yet? Season 3 starts next week.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zaggitz posted:

Anybody make a Fargo thread yet? Season 3 starts next week.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816401

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

So I'm half watching NCIS since it was on after Jeopardy.
Why is Fez on the show now, and why did they replace the black guy with another black guy with the same haircut but with a british accent?

I stopped watching after Tony left, sounds like I may have made the right call.

Escobarbarian posted:

That's about how I felt. It seems like it could get good but if it remains as silly as episode one I just don't know. The whole tapes thing is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Not seen any of Hap and Leonard but planning on binging it once the second season is all out.

Which reminds me, now Imposters season 1 is done I'll be checking that out soon. People liked it, right?

Imposters is a weird and fantastic show that gave me tonal whiplash in a good way, many times.

That said, I just now realized I barely remember anything that happened in it, despite watching it just a couple weeks ago. :psyduck:

e: oh right, now I remember. Lenny Cohen, heh.

• Locked thread