Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

are you saying they're a bad company in comparison to riot or just in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016

Addamere posted:

Decided to make a new account named after my SA username and the first game it lets me queue for PVP (apparently you have to be Level 3 now to do so?) is against some Level 30 bronze tryhard Yasuo with the High Noon skin who mocks everyone in all chat for being terrible and in the post-game lobby is all like "you act like I have an advantage" when told that dunking on people with Level 3 accounts is a dick move. But for real, what is the logic behind League of Legends punishing newbies by not letting them have access to masteries, runes, and spells? Like, with the exception of I guess Nunu you can't even jungle without Smite and if "should Flash exist?" is a point of discussion in the League meta now as it has been in years past then I think we can all definitely agree it should not exist in games where everyone else doesn't have a chance to pick it. Holy loving poo poo gently caress that shithead.

lol, the yasuo was level 5.

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=addamere

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=twistedtater

Nice to see everything is going as usual. I'll check back in a few more months. I imagine nothing will change.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cis Lord posted:

lol, the yasuo was level 5.

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=addamere

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=twistedtater

Nice to see everything is going as usual. I'll check back in a few more months. I imagine nothing will change.

Yeah but being a level 5 Yasuo with a chroma for High Noon is definitely a smurf

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also just buy a level 30 account dude, they're like $3

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

are you saying they're a bad company in comparison to riot or just in general

In general

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Teikanmi posted:

Yeah but being a level 5 Yasuo with a chroma for High Noon is definitely a smurf
So is he, though?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
If I remember right you set yourself up to play against smurfs more likely if you skip the tutorial or just smash the poo poo out of your first couple of PVP games, so if that's the case then yeah, glove probably fits, system works, etc

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teikanmi posted:

but the level 30 account i buy for $3 wont be my sa username

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

If I remember right you set yourself up to play against smurfs more likely if you skip the tutorial or just smash the poo poo out of your first couple of PVP games, so if that's the case then yeah, glove probably fits, system works, etc

thats legit and no complaint, but putting people in the same game with such widely different levels of power as "this team does not have flash while the other team does" is kind of lovely imo

e: and also yasuo players are universally shitheads

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

I know it's not really comparable in terms of either audience or release date, but my go-to response for this kind of discussion is "Dota 2 released with 100 champions and didn't do that".

Except it didn't. DotA 2 originally had something like 40 heroes and it only gradually over time added more heroes. If you don't think valve would've charged for heroes had they been able to get away with it then idk dude, the only reason they didn't charge for heroes is because then everyone would've just kept playing HoN; you'd have two small segmented player bases and DotA wouldn't be what it is today.

E and also the only reason DotA has so many heroes is because they've also been gradually added over time, DotA the first certainly didn't have the 116 or so heroes it does

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

Except it didn't. DotA 2 originally had something like 40 heroes and it only gradually over time added more heroes. If you don't think valve would've charged for heroes had they been able to get away with it then idk dude, the only reason they didn't charge for heroes is because then everyone would've just kept playing HoN; you'd have two small segmented player bases and DotA wouldn't be what it is today.

E and also the only reason DotA has so many heroes is because they've also been gradually added over time, DotA the first certainly didn't have the 116 or so heroes it does

I looked at this wiki page and counted prior to making that post.

There were exactly 100 champions that were "added" during Alpha and Beta versions of Dota 2, which I assumed was prior to release since that's what alpha and beta mean. :shrug:

If they did some weird thing like Dwarf Fortress being in "pre-alpha" for over a decade then please forgive my mistake.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Either way we want to nitpick about what words mean, I think it's dumb that you have to level up a League account before you can have access to masteries, runes, and spells.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I dunno man, the people who complain about that the loudest are always people making a second+ account. I can only speak for myself but when I was new it really didn't bother me, I didn't know the game well enough. Heck, having things to unlock probably motivated me to play more.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

misguided rage posted:

I dunno man, the people who complain about that the loudest are always people making a second+ account. I can only speak for myself but when I was new it really didn't bother me, I didn't know the game well enough. Heck, having things to unlock probably motivated me to play more.

Having played since 2010 off and on, my main account still doesn't have all the champions and is only approaching it because they seriously slowed the gently caress down on champion release schedule.

Also... so? A thing can be bad even if the only people complaining about it are X.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gvibes posted:

An 11 game losing streak is good, right?

ff20 last 2 too.

I've had a few runs where I just couldn't stop losing despite playing respectably. I mean its hard to do anything when all your lanes feed before 4 minutes. Its a vicious circle, you lose, your mmr keeps dropping and you get worse teammates.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Addamere posted:

Having played since 2010 off and on, my main account still doesn't have all the champions and is only approaching it because they seriously slowed the gently caress down on champion release schedule.

Also... so? A thing can be bad even if the only people complaining about it are X.
Sure I agree they should make it easier to get champions.

It's not bad at what it's intended for, which is to ease new players into the game. Pissing off people who want to smurf seems more like a feature than a bug.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

At this point, I think my only beef is that they really need to speed up the rate of price drops from 6300->4800, maybe have it drop like a year or two after release. It's really ridiculous that most 4-5 year old champs are still 6300.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

Dota 2 is a prestige product for a very bad company that has a massive source of income outside of making games

they're also loving over the content creators because ??? (probably because money)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

It was different when league first launched. When it originally cost money, this was a good idea because the idea of progress to a new character is what kept the game from outright dying if it wasn't good. There was like 40 or so champions at this time so the idea want outrageous, but now that we're at 120 or whatever and half of them are priced at the highest tier of ip is where it gets ridiculous.

Yeah, this guy is right, at release, it wasn't so bad since unlocking everything from nothing was a obtainable goal and if you wanted to try a new champion you only had to wait a couple weeks for the free champ rotation to go through every available character, hell of the original 40 characters only Five cost 6300 ip and it was 5 months until a new 6300 ip champ was released.
You also only had 2 rune pages to fill with whatever dumb thing you thought was good at the time which was probably either magic pen or armor pen and movement quints on nearly everyone because the early characters actually had to walk places and couldn't just skill spam their way across the map like riven.

Now adays if you started today there is no way without paying a lot of money to unlock even half of what would be considered a ingame advantage in a reasonable time such as multiple rune pages and the runes for them at 6300 IP each or having a competitive roster of common picks in every role so that you can trade down a overpowered pick or to pick your solo laner last so that you aren't straight up counterpicked before the game begins, how often is the pre-game advantage of trading characters get ignored because of how few champs people have unlocked usually?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKvS9tX_zM

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Wrt the rune pages thing, I own 20 pages and to this day I still only use 3, mpen ap, flat ad and an ad/as page. You don't even need the flat ad page

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

Wrt the rune pages thing, I own 20 pages and to this day I still only use 3, mpen ap, flat ad and an ad/as page. You don't even need the flat ad page

Every time some pro or streamer does a guide video it shows them having like 6 rune pages for a single champion that they swap out depending on lane matchup or team composition, which probably most of them overlap with a lot of champions but clearly people at least think more rune pages is better. But yeah, every champion I play except Vi uses the same rune page and a variation of the same two mastery pages.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Addamere posted:

Every time some pro or streamer does a guide video it shows them having like 6 rune pages for a single champion that they swap out depending on lane matchup or team composition, which probably most of them overlap with a lot of champions but clearly people at least think more rune pages is better. But yeah, every champion I play except Vi uses the same rune page and a variation of the same two mastery pages.

That's some poo poo you can do at high elo, it's not needed below plat. All you need are the pages I mentioned above

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is Plat high elo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i use a lot of rune pages but its because i have two identical pages that i use for some things based on how lazy i feel. if im feeling lazy i run armor yellows and mr blues, but if i am willing to put in the effort i run scaling health yellows and 3-6 mana regen or straight up 9 ap blues

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is Plat high elo

players with Diamond 1 or higher MMR are generally considered "high elo" but "high elo" is a stupidly relative term because the people in that matchmaking are the top 1% of players or better. Top ladder or just simply Master Tier is a better way to refer to "high elo"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is Plat high elo

Higher than the vast majority of players

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Addamere posted:

I looked at this wiki page and counted prior to making that post.

There were exactly 100 champions that were "added" during Alpha and Beta versions of Dota 2, which I assumed was prior to release since that's what alpha and beta mean. :shrug:

If they did some weird thing like Dwarf Fortress being in "pre-alpha" for over a decade then please forgive my mistake.
Let me put it this way. The first two Dota 2 Internationals (aka their yearly world championships) happened before that "release".

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killed By Death posted:

Let me put it this way. The first two Dota 2 Internationals (aka their yearly world championships) happened before that "release".

oh, well it looks like I'm an idiot on the Internet.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Anyone wanna take bets on what Lulu's nerfs are going to look like? If Riot goes by their law of 3's, I'd bet they:

Nerf her itemization by making the +healing/shield bonuses across support items not stack, or maybe divide them into two uniques named "glory" and "vigor" that give bonuses to shields or heals respectively or some stupid poo poo.

Next they'll cut down windspeaker's in cunning, though I'vr got a hunch that it will actually be runic armor in resolve as the more likely nerf or replacement to preserve the character of certain supports.

Finally they'll address the biggest issue. Lulu is the last support to have hard, ranged, targeted CC on a basic ability and I'd be willing to bet that poo poo's going to turn into a line skill shot by summer split.

After all these changes she'll be relegated back to 47% win rate where riot has liked her to be and we can all usher in the age of support reksai or whatever monstrosity emerges from the tank reworks.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a fan of support rengar and support ahri

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PBE mid season item changes could make Rammus pick/ban again

Cinderhulk stronger and Thronmail is cheaper and reflects more against his primary target (ADCs) and builds into Randuins which has the active slow still. Basically combined two items he wanted into one.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Annie Bot's name is jared and he only plays a little girl :thinking:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Addamere posted:

but the level 30 account i buy for $3 wont be my sa username
Can't you just buy a summoner name change for IP?

Teikanmi posted:

Do not do this, they're generally leveled up with bots which A) rewards shitters who make things miserable by putting bots in newbie games and B) will get your account permabanned at an indeterminate point in the future after you bought it

Teikanmi posted:

To answer your implicit question, the reason there's so much work leveling to 30 and unlocking stuff is because accounts need to have a relatively large amount of sunk cost. Without that there would be even more smurf accounts and people would fear banishments even less.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Addamere posted:

thats legit and no complaint, but putting people in the same game with such widely different levels of power as "this team does not have flash while the other team does" is kind of lovely imo

e: and also yasuo players are universally shitheads

it used to be worse, you used to unlock Flash way later in the progression. now you're mostly gimped by not having a keystone mastery.

the legal way to level up an account is to put the money you would put into buying an account on XP and IP buffs. it won't get you all the way to 30 unless you really grind it out but it'll get you close.

Teikanmi posted:

it'll be like a bronze smurf tho, what you should watch the gently caress out for in low level queue is for like a Singed with a skin or a Nunu with a skin. basically any non Riven/Yasuo/Vayne one tricks are gonna give you a hard time.

fnox fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 12, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Can't you just buy a summoner name change for IP?

Do not do this, they're generally leveled up with bots which A) rewards shitters who make things miserable by putting bots in newbie games and B) will get your account permabanned at an indeterminate point in the future after you bought it

To answer your implicit question, the reason there's so much work leveling to 30 and unlocking stuff is because accounts need to have a relatively large amount of sunk cost. Without that there would be even more smurf accounts and people would fear banishments even less.

I purchased a level 30 account like 2 years ago from one of those botting sites and it's still not banned so...

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hey guys remember taric

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Tired Moritz posted:

hey guys remember taric
I miss him

Dancing in the bush until someone walked close enough to stun were my favorite moments in all of League.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Camel Camus posted:

Anyone wanna take bets on what Lulu's nerfs are going to look like?

>2017
>Support nerfs

Pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they should just make polymorph a flat 1.5sec duration instead of scaling up to 2.5 or whatever ridiculous amount it gets to, so that you don't have to level W early which is boring

• Locked thread