Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always seem to misjudge how much of an impact things have overseas. When I did my Haunted Mansion LP years ago I thought that Disneyland and the titular ride were bigger parts of american Childhoods than they were. Turned out I knew more about the ride myself than the people who actually lived in the country with it. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BioEnchanted posted:

I always seem to misjudge how much of an impact things have overseas. When I did my Haunted Mansion LP years ago I thought that Disneyland and the titular ride were bigger parts of american Childhoods than they were. Turned out I knew more about the ride myself than the people who actually lived in the country with it. :P
To be fair, the USA is big. Big enough for a non-stop cross-country flight to take six hours (I know, I've done it before). There are plenty of people who simply can't afford the time or the expense it takes to travel that far. I've never been to either Disney resort in the States, myself, despite living on the same coast as one of them. And if you're not looking to go there at some point, what's the point of looking up the attractions?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think it's because all the american TV I've seen treats Disney land like that kind of experience so my perspective is skewed. British People (including me) love Alton Towers but it's not in every show as a "The Family/Team goes to Alton Tower" special like in many american sitcoms, so americans don't think much of it because it's not literally EVERYWHERE in our media. You could see how my position was cemented by everything between Rosanne and Sabrina the Teenage Witch :P

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's because all the american TV I've seen treats Disney land like that kind of experience so my perspective is skewed. British People (including me) love Alton Towers but it's not in every show as a "The Family/Team goes to Alton Tower" special like in many american sitcoms, so americans don't think much of it because it's not literally EVERYWHERE in our media. You could see how my position was cemented by everything between Rosanne and Sabrina the Teenage Witch :P

Part of that is Disney owns ABC and has its own network, so of course they're gonna plug their theme parks in those shows.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Teledahn posted:

I was mildly curious what the heck that Shmorky shitshow was am not best pleased for doing so.

The below is taken from Lowtax's youtube channel description and seriously :wtf: :nms:

:psyduck:

Anyway. LP!

Just a disclaimer that thankfully Shmorky didn't target Lowtax's kids for furry roleplay but instead fellow brokebrain Tumblr users.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Time for my first LP!

Digimon World: Next Order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in-S0gb8NP4

Digimon World: Next Order is a sequel to the PSX game Digimon World. It has been released as a Japan only product on the PSP only coming on to the PS4 in March 2017. Many of the features of Digimon World still remain here but with a wonderful modern twist and much needed quality of life features such as easy access to every city building and even a building designed to help the player directly choose which Digimon to digiolve into.

Some of the old areas still exists but it is mostly new zones/areas. File City becomes Floatia City and so on.

So what is my goal here?
I am going to try to get 100% and also be able to provide a good guide to use while you are playing. This means that I will be posting tips, guides and even show good areas to get BITS (The currency of this game) and other stuff. I will try to get the max prosperity and upgrade level but it will take a long time. Also I will try to get every Digimon in the game but some of them are locked and I will not be able to get till post game.

Spoiler Policy: No story spoiler but you can spoil some of the digimon that we can see and recruit.
The Anime is fair game as it has very little relevance to this game.
Also to note. This is a half blind LP. I played up to chapter 2 so anything beyond that is going to be blind. That said, I have done enough time and effort into this game that I can be able to do what every we need to do to beat it.

With that sorted let get into the game itself.
TESTPOST:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147240

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hmm. The spacing between the screenshots and text is a little wonky. Just from a cursory glance. You should probably have at least a single line break between each screenshot and each block of explanatory text.

There's a lot of blank spaces too where I'm assuming gifs are supposed to be, right? They don't seem. To be loading for me, though I don't know if that's an issue with LPix, the platform I'm viewing the test post on, or a formatting issue on your end. Can anyone else see them if that's what they are?

If you get those issues cleaned up, I'd say you're good to go.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Hmm. The spacing between the screenshots and text is a little wonky. Just from a cursory glance. You should probably have at least a single line break between each screenshot and each block of explanatory text.

There's a lot of blank spaces too where I'm assuming gifs are supposed to be, right? They don't seem. To be loading for me, though I don't know if that's an issue with LPix, the platform I'm viewing the test post on, or a formatting issue on your end. Can anyone else see them if that's what they are?

If you get those issues cleaned up, I'd say you're good to go.

There are supposed to be videos. For some reason the page isn't loading it because "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources". (I'm using chrome so I don't know if it just that or something else.) I will change the spacing to allow a line break. I forgot about that bit.

Ok here it is a updated version: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147241

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 8, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I have a question, but it's more asking for advice from goons more experienced with doing participation games. The tl;dr is "How few players can you have at a time before it's not fun for the rest of the thread?"

I was wanting to do a play-by-post version of 7.62 High Caliber, a real time (with pausing) tactics game similar to Jagged Alliance. My intention was to have goons sign up to be mercenaries with a first-come-first-serve basis for playing: you can have a maximum of 6 squad members in the vanilla game, while the Blue Sun mod lets you adjust it up to a higher number (I can't remember right now, but I think it was 8 to 10 or something like that). Blue Sun lets you radio mercs in instead of finding them standing around bars looking for work, so I was going to adjust merc prices to make them cheap as hell or free to hire and fill up the group to the max. When a merc dies, they get replaced by the next goon in line.

Combat works by the players telling me their tactical choice, progressing the game for a set time like 10 or 15 seconds, and making a post showing how this turn went. Between fights, the group votes on which course of action to take. Purchasing equipment is done at regular shopping stops by dividing the money evenly between everyone and providing them with the shop inventory to buy their own gear individually.

My concern is that if the players are sufficiently good at making choices, we may go a while with about half a dozen players regardless of who signs up. One concern I would also need to address is that if your starting merc dies, it's game over. I'd probably have to leave that slot filled by myself permanently and keep the merc out of the way to avoid needing to reload a save because they got domed while breaching, which reduces the player count by one.

I think I got an idea for getting around this, based on the CMANO Strike Commander game being done right now. The goons who aren't actively playing as mercenaries on the ground play the PMC leadership back at HQ in the United States. They get to vote on choices that aren't immediately decided upon by the characters in dialogue (if the choice could plausibly be radioed back to base, the non-merc spectators get to vote), which could potentially sway the guys who are actually fighting onto a different path.

If I can get the game to stop displaying CHEATER as your name if you activate the developer mode, I might also play around with the idea of giving the HQ goons a limited supply of cash to spend on "supply drops" into the area to deliver weapons, ammo, and other supplies that the mercs can't afford or acquire in-theatre.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supeerme posted:

There are supposed to be videos. For some reason the page isn't loading it because "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources". (I'm using chrome so I don't know if it just that or something else.) I will change the spacing to allow a line break. I forgot about that bit.

Ok here it is a updated version: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147241

Okay, I was able to check the updated test post on an actual PC platform and yeah the videos are showing up. My question is: are they really necessary, though? Having a large number of embedded videos in a single LP post in general is going to set people on edge on its head, let alone having embedded videos with like 30 seconds to a minute of footage in them. Especially videos with what sounds to my ear very spotty audio quality for some reason.

Like, I know certain parts of the game may look better in motion, but I feel maybe you should just screenshot those parts and link to the FMVs separately so that people can watch them at their leisure rather than forcing them to load the embedded video. Same goes for the soundtrack videos. The less obtrusive you can make the LP experience for the reader, the better it will be over all.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Alternative to videos, you could use GIF's instead.
It seems you have a lot of short, but cool movement scenes, so giffing them will be a better experience than having to click a million 30 second youtube clips.
Or you could just have a longer video of the whole tutorial section as an optional alternative to the scene. Treat it like a boss fight for example.
If you do that, then please note when the video starts and stops in the screenshot portion.

If you are going to make longer gameplay videos, then make them distinct from your music links.
Readability is a big plus.

Another thing I want to point out is to seperate dialogue and gameplay text.
I'm refering to where you show getting items the same way as dialogue.

Your lp:
Hero: " Yeah I'm going to kick your rear end villain!"
Villain : "Blarg"
Hero: " You pick up 6 gold coins and a twig"

Example lp:
Hero: "Yeah I'm going to kick your rear end villain!"
Villain: "Blarg"
I get 6 coins and a twig

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I see what you mean. It does look a little unreadable with the large amount of videos. I am currently converting them into gifs. I will also be making the music videos into links instead. Thankfully these 30 seconds things will not be showing up for a long time. Most of the cutscenes in this game isn't that long so I will also take that into notice.

The biggest reason why I uploaded them as videos was due to me being concered about large gifs sizes. What would be a a good size limit?

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 10, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Max for LPix is 2MB, so that's usually the rule I use.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I'm still working on the OP, but I am looking for some feedback on the first video for my upcoming let's play of Castlevania 64.

Here's the first video

Any comments/critiques would be appreciated. I really do enjoy this game because I'm a monster, and the last time it was played for the internet around here was 9 years ago (that thread was one of the ones that led to me buying an account, I'm afraid to go back and see if it holds up). In contrast to that thread, I'm trying to take a more...reverent approach, and a little bit more subdued.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The game audio is a little bit too loud in the beginning.

I don't know how you record the game, but is there any way to stretch the window and make it look good? If not, possibly make some letter box filler images to overlay, so it doesn't look like a LP video from 9 years ago.

Consider getting a guest commentator for the videos you know, you're gonna struggle with saying anything worth listening to.
It's a no no to talk just for the sake of talking. You don't necessarily have to have a guest commentator for every video.
Alternatively, it's also fine just not to talk.

If you fix the game audio for the opening bit, then video technically I don't see anything wrong.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I'll take a look and see what others do, but it's a 4:3 game, stretching it to 16:9 will look awful. YouTube will add the black bars if I upload it in a non-16:9 resolution, also. I don't think cluttering the sides with images makes sense for a non-streamed LP, as it takes away focus from the game. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

Additionally, the comment about co-commentators: do you think that was a problem with this video or just a general comment?

Thanks for the help.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Oh yeah, the letter box image idea is absolutely terrible. But hey you might have liked it. :v:

It's mostly a choice between what looks worse, 4:3 letterbox or stretched 16:9. it's just that it's a N64 game
so it's not like there is a huge visual quality that's getting lost here.

As for guest commentators, it was just an idea I'd throw out there incase you haven't thought about it.
Castlevania just struck me as a game with little content to talk about at times. It wasn't a problem in this video.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Stretched 16:9 looks bad and people shouldn't do it. Emulators sometimes have widescreen hacks to make things look decent but people shouldn't manually stretch their footage to the wrong aspect ratio.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I'll take a look and see if you can hack widescreen, but that is really game by game whether it works at all. My experience with it has been paper Mario: TTYD and the GameCube version of OoT, and both were...Bad. I haven't tried it out on N64 emulation though, so I'll try that out, thanks for the suggestion.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, my experience with a widescreen hack for Persona 3 FES made the game unintentionally a lot goofier, because the game was just not designed to display that much area. Sometimes characters would leave the normal screen area and just disappear, and other times they'd just stand there or walk in place. It was actually kind of funny, but it sapped a lot of the dramatic tension from a game that relies heavily on dramatic tension.

Personally, I think letterboxing looks just fine, and I'd rather have it than some horribly stretched widescreen video. Personally, I'd say the video is good enough to :justpost:. You did hit on a personal pet peeve of mine in the video, where you refer to "Draculas" as if the individual was a species, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sazero posted:

It's mostly a choice between what looks worse, 4:3 letterbox or stretched 16:9.

Literally always the latter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The way I look at it is if the source is native 4:3, the final product should be 4:3. Let people piss and moan about MUH WIDESCREEN all they want at least it won't look like poo poo all stretched out to a resolution it shouldn't be at.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

discworld is all I read posted:

Stretched 16:9 looks bad and people shouldn't do it.
Seconding this.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sazero posted:

It's mostly a choice between what looks worse, 4:3 letterbox or stretched 16:9.

I'm just repeating what everyone says but there's no choice to be made here. Stretching is worse than letterboxing in every possible scenario.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

That's just like, your opinion, maaaaan.

Sazero posted:

it's just that it's a N64 game so it's not like there is a huge visual quality that's getting lost here.

Remember guys, N64 game here:

4:3

Stretched

Let's not get our dicks stretched out over here about how a n64 game looks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sazero posted:

sounds like someone never played Shadows of the Empire, one of the best looking games of our generation. graphical fidelity is absolutely key in an N64 classic like that.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sazero posted:

Yeah, so why make it worse

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Given how good Shadows of the Empire looked, I have no idea why we would even continue console development.
Any game looks like 4:3 stretched garbage compared to this pinnacle of video gaming.

I guess retro gaming IS where the future of videogames are. :negative:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Sazero posted:

Stretched

Dicks might not be getting stretched, but everything about this girl sure is.

Don't bother with widescreen hacks. Most of the time, they never stretch the UI properly so you end up with circles that look like ovals.

Also why the gently caress do you want to stretch this poo poo to 16:9? What do you got against black borders? You're just gonna end up with a big rear end file and an ugly rear end video.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm not the LP'er, guy.

Why the gently caress do you want 4:3 and waste 1/4th of your screen to black borders? What do you have against stretched?
All you're gonna end up with is a tiny rear end file that doesn't fit the HOLE screen. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sazero posted:

Why the gently caress do you want 4:3 and waste 1/4th of your screen to black borders?

it's not a waste if you fill it with pictures of dash rendar

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"Normal view" my rear end. Letterboxing never killed anyone, but having an oval instead of a circle has caused 118 fatal industrial accidents.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

My dad was killed by a gang of letterboxes and I will never forgive them or anyone who sympathise with them :argh:
Don't be such a bunch of squares about this. :colbert:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Alternate ratio on an episode by episode basis.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Let's take a game with good visual direction then.

Beautiful, pure, and crisp!

I wish a gang of letterboxes would kill me so I wouldn't have to look at this! Everything looks squished, the sprites (Yoshi, eggs, the coin, the flower) get hit especially bad. Those are the elements meant to be most easily visible at any given moment, especially in motion, so the most prominent parts of the game get made extra worse. But, hey, we don't have to put black boxes on the side to get it in a widescreen ratio! That's a totally worth sacrificing the visuals of such a pretty game.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm legitimatedly curious how a 16:9 aspect image would look like if it were squeezed down to 4:3.
Someone show me. Tia.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Man, I didn't know this would cause such a tizzy, don't worry I came up with the best solution: change the aspect ratio to be exactly in the middle, 32:21, so black bar and stretch lovers everywhere will both be visibly upset! Problem solved :downs:

Edit: also widescreen hacks aren't an option with the graphics plugin that works so that settles that. Expect the thread sometime this weekend, thanks all.

Axe Master fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 12, 2017

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I support this decision.
Alternatively, only stretch the game in one side of the video and have a letterbox on the other side.
Then proceed to play the game blindfolded while controlling it with a guitar hero guitar. :v:

I hope you suckceed in your enTrevors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sazero posted:

I support this decision.
Alternatively, only stretch the game in one side of the video and have a letterbox on the other side.
Then proceed to play the game blindfolded while controlling it with a guitar hero guitar. :v:

Use a sinewave distortion to continuously vary how much each row is stretched, varying the aspect ratio from 2:1.73 up through to 64:27.