Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Global treasure.

I wonder how much ownership Nintendo has over Bayonetta 2? I really want that on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

Global treasure.

I wonder how much ownership Nintendo has over Bayonetta 2? I really want that on PC.

I won't say it's impossible but the odds are not good at this time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They pretty much bankrolled it so.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bayonetta 2 would not exist without Nintendo funding so I'm gonna guess "enough to derail a port for no good reason like they did with Goldeneye 360".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh no I'm buying Bayonetta again... This'll run better than the Wii U port and certainly better than the PS3 version which I should just throw away at this point so thaaaat's how I'm justifying this.

It's so good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bayonetta 3 would pretty much have to be bought up by a big publisher for it to have any chance of getting ported. The original Mass Effect was bankrolled by MS which is why it ended up on PC and the series was bought up by EA, who still didn't manage to get the game to PS3 until after ME3 came out. Bayonetta 2 could come to something else but it would take someone giving Nintendo a bunch of money to let them do it and considering how niche the game is, that's not incredibly likely.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I said come in! posted:

Global treasure.

Supposedly they paid for 100% of development, which almost certainly means they control 100% of distribution.

Same situation with Sony and some of their exclusives like bloodborne or journey, even though they don't own those studios.

It is unfortunate for microsoft that their attempts to do similar deals have ended really badly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why are people calling out Jim Sterling for giving Sexy Brutale a 10/10, it is one of the most cool games in a year full of cool games and it seems like the kind of game this forum usually does triple backflips for

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/851983157511438336

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

Global treasure.

SEGA cancelled the Bayonetta sequel they originally had in development back in 2012. They were restructuring at the time and went on a cancellation spree. SEGA effectively became a PC/mobile/service/boutique publisher. Nintendo bought the publishing rights to Bayonetta 2 and funded the development of the game.

So SEGA buying back the rights they sold to Nintendo would be like trying to woo back a girlfriend that was unceremoniously dumped and ended up in a meaningful relationship with a person who actually supported her creative aspirations. I think that'll be the plot to Bayonetta 3.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
So why did Nintendo decide to finance a niche sequel that broadly goes against their usual child friendly library?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Because they love video games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macarius Wrench posted:

So why did Nintendo decide to finance a niche sequel that broadly goes against their usual child friendly library?

trying to get an exclusive property that would sell to niches that they were missing out on with the wii u

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've refunded Bayonetta, I might buy it again when it's on sale... Yes it's entirely my fault for not really wanting to engage with it, I was just button mashing. It has that Super Smash Bros effect on me where the particle effects are too noisy for me to easily process things onscreen, seems like I'd have to be 100% sober and alert to play it right, loving crazy

The first few cutscenes were impenetrable, and I think I might be a little tired of super-confident protagonists who can do wicked poo poo without expending much effort. Like when Bayonetta was berating poor Joe Pesci while he was trying to drive I thought she could've used less Dante from Devil May Cry 1, more Leon from Resident Evil 4. I totally understand why people love it though, I'm sure once I have more time and patience I'll be there too

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Because it made me buy a Wii U and a bunch of their exclusives.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

They needed games for the Wii U and were having trouble with HD development, so they ponied up for literally any help they could, which resulted in stuff like Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and stuff like Platinum helping with Starfox. And internally doing stuff like having MonolithSoft help them with Zelda (too little to late for the Wii U).

Twilight Princess HD was also given to a third party for the remaster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the wii u was so good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macarius Wrench posted:

they wanted to have the best game of the year on their system and they succeeded

it was a hell of a good faith move for people on the fence about their failing console and they def didn't make much money from it, but the fact that they did it is still one of the coolest things they've ever done, much like how they keep giving maniac Suda51 work. They'd be crazy not to scoop up Kamiya now that he's on the ropes from Scalebound cancelled.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

trying to get an exclusive property that would sell to niches that they were missing out on with the wii u

Bayo2 and Wonderful 101 were probably the things that pushed me over the edge into buying one and I'm really glad I did- not much there in terms of total quantity but a lot of potent exclusives which were the only things I really cared about since I have a PC

Pretty cheap console to get into as well so well worth it. I hope the Switch does better for them financially but I'm sure it'll have a similar amount of good exclusives unless something has just radically changed over at Nintendo in the last couple of years.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

...unless something has just radically changed over at Nintendo in the last couple of years.

RIP Iwata.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macarius Wrench posted:

Because it was really funny to play it on the demo station they set up in the Nintendo World Store and realize that blood and subtitled expletives and Bayonetta's rear end are flying all over a 50" tv surrounded by a crowd of children.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
it probably wont happen but max anarchy making its way to pc would be bomb as hell imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After I'm done with Persona 5 I will probably give Bayonetta a whirl. I thought I was going to pick up a Wii U after that but I'll actually be traveling for the summer so I'll have a use case for the Switch.

I wonder what the Wii U - Switch rerelease situation will be like, because it will otherwise feel slightly dumb to buy an older console after the newest one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macarius Wrench posted:

When building a gaming platform it is important to cater to niche markets with exclusives because if you have the only system with their must play game you can lock in all their other purchases that they make over the life of the system.

Bloodborne drew in all the souls fans to ps4 and they all bought x number of other games on psn they might have bought elsewhere. There are lots of examples.

You also want to have broad 3rd party support to make licensing money off all the sales but nintendo at least gets half of the equation.

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
I put about 75 hours into Bayonetta on 360 and got every achievement. Still definitely buying the PC version when I get some more monies.

I've only just started playing Nier:A as well. 2017 is a good rear end video game year. :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lolling at Sega pricing Yakuza Kiwami at $30 when it's a ground up remake after Gearbox wanted $60 for a not changed much Bulletstorm port.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched some video of Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm and you would have to pay me to play through the game like that, it all looks and sounds terrible. Like, the first Duke line isn't even recorded properly and is totally blown out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chargrilled Face posted:

I put about 75 hours into Bayonetta on 360 and got every achievement. Still definitely buying the PC version when I get some more monies.

The only achievements I missed were beating every secret challenge and getting platinum on the Space Harrier sequence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macarius Wrench posted:

Whaaaaaat, God Hand is fantastic, heck its theme song is better than the entirety of most games.
:ssh: it's from the infamous IGN review of god hand

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

:ssh: it's from the infamous IGN review of god hand

Ooo don't think I've read that one

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Out of the blue I remembered Folklore was a game that existed and now I wish the hand of fate had saved it from the heap of forgotten last gen games alongside Nier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

I expect it was specifically to shake off that last part. Nintendo has made some moves to try to broaden their library beyond specifically family-friendly games. I think they've gone a bit further on handheld than on console (see: SMT4/Apocalypse), but Wii U has things like Bayonetta 2 and (possibly to a lesser extent) Xenoblade X that aren't child-friendly games. They also wanted to try to appeal to "core gamers" with the Wii U, if I remember correctly.

The plan didn't quite work out and Bayonetta 2 stands out as one of the few non-first-party games on Wii U that's actually good, but it was a worthwhile thing to try.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if that long-vaporware-status-then released Duke Nukem game even had the capability to be good

Seemed like a thing where the time for that type of game had just passed, man.

Then again the new Shadow Warrior games were supposedly pretty good so maybe Gearbox just blows

haveblue posted:

The only achievements I missed were beating every secret challenge and getting platinum on the Space Harrier sequence.

Oh my god maybe someone can mod out that stupid sequence so I can just fight Jeanne

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It was just too little, too late for the Wii U but it was still a good step for Nintendo to break away from the suffocating "family friendly" image that cemented itself during the Wii's run.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nina posted:

Out of the blue I remembered Folklore was a game that existed and now I wish the hand of fate had saved it from the heap of forgotten last gen games alongside Nier.

yeeaaah, I don't think it holds up outside of "this is a game to play on your PS3 before even MGS4 is out".

I tried to finally play it last October and it is a pitifully boring game with bad controls and gameplay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Compare persona to another non persona game for me please.

Dungeon crawling with super-light stealth and puzzles, combat/progression that's sorta like Pokemon only instead of breeding your Pokemon you execute them in guillotines to make new ones and also you have three sidekicks in battle whose Pokemon you can't change.

Outside of dungeons/combat it's a life sim where you try to balance being a high school student with solving everyone's problems and also your social life helps you fight better.

Persona 5's story is basically anime Inception.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I expect it was specifically to shake off that last part. Nintendo has made some moves to try to broaden their library beyond specifically family-friendly games. I think they've gone a bit further on handheld than on console (see: SMT4/Apocalypse), but Wii U has things like Bayonetta 2 and (possibly to a lesser extent) Xenoblade X that aren't child-friendly games. They also wanted to try to appeal to "core gamers" with the Wii U, if I remember correctly.

The plan didn't quite work out and Bayonetta 2 stands out as one of the few non-first-party games on Wii U that's actually good, but it was a worthwhile thing to try.

How quickly we forget Devil's Third

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

that dad is this guy so he'd definitely be into bayo i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDab9piv_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone made a Metal Gear Rising mod for San Andreas (youtube, should start at 1:29)

• Locked thread