Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't still April 1 somehow. Amazing news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any suggestions for where to sit at the 500? Or is it all pretty decent?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Well that's pretty dope

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stare:

:HUGE rear end STARE EMOTE HERE:

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
I uh...

I mean I was already excited to go to indy this year but wow

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh baby.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to sit at the 500? Or is it all pretty decent?

If it's your first time your options are limited, but the place is massive enough that you'll be fine. Not sure what reserved seating is available, but there's lots of GA viewing space around the track. I believe Snake Pit tickets are still available.

Also all this Alonso & McLaren stuff is incredible :getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This Indy is going to kick lots of rear end when Fernando Alonso wins it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

McLaren kick out all the old faithful and suddenly are letting their lead driver go run Indy and talking about a works Indycar program. Seems like a good plan, assuming they're not just saying poo poo to get some more of that sweet FIA money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bernie must be loving livid right now.

This is awesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hey Alonso.... there's another race in flying distance that night :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently they're using an engine originally earmarked for Stefan Wilson to get this done.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hey Alonso.... there's another race in flying distance that night :getin:

Oh man, if he did that, it'd make the greatest day of racing so much better.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bernie must be loving livid right now.

This is awesome.

There's been a definite shift in how F1 runs things since he left, that's for sure.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is definitely rad, especially if McLaren does become a full-time team. I always had the pipe dream that F1 teams could use IndyCar as a breeding/proving ground for personnel along with a not-so-subtle way to test suspension technology.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God drat that's some awesome news, I hope he does well.

Track just went green for the Texas test, early session is to get cars sorted, then they're gonna do an afternoon session to work on the aero. Video is live on race control.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minto Took posted:

This is definitely rad, especially if McLaren does become a full-time team. I always had the pipe dream that F1 teams could use IndyCar as a breeding/proving ground for personnel along with a not-so-subtle way to test suspension technology.

Maybe it will start happening. They are already using Super Formula as an incubator for potential F1 drivers, why not Indycar as well?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, Michael Shank Racing is entering a car in the five hundr----FERNANDO ALONSO? :dogbutton:

Here's the Shank article, but Alonso. http://www.imsa.com/news/042017/michael-shank-racing-partners-andretti-autosport-indianapolis-500-effort

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

About loving time for Michael Shank Racing.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hot drat. This is the biggest positive boost in PR for IMS, the Indy 500, and IndyCars in a long time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well thats the coolest dang thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hah, this owns. hope he does well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also the Texas test is underway with video: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Even with the lower banking in T1-T2, Dixon has already set a lap under the previous ICS track record (23.896 by Billy Boat in '98). Although still significantly slower than the cancelled 01 CART race, where Tracy set a 22.542 in practice.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
This is worth it for the F1 salt, if nothing else.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My body is prepared.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

VikingSkull posted:

The Worst Thread is taking it rather well

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Although still significantly slower than the cancelled 01 CART race, where Tracy set a 22.542 in practice.

What a debacle that was.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

The Worst Thread is taking it rather well

There will be lots of salt from the F1 community at large, don't you worry. Not many people in the F1 thread exclusively watch F1.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Although still significantly slower than the cancelled 01 CART race, where Tracy set a 22.542 in practice.

Wasn't the issue effectively 'negative G' relative to the drivers? Seems like lower banking might help.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

wicka posted:

There will be lots of salt from the F1 community at large, don't you worry. Not many people in the F1 thread exclusively watch F1.

There's that Twitter post earlier that was posted in the thread with the guy going "abloobloo he's ruining the pureness of our procession thru a bourgeois tax haven"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to let everybody in on a little secret; Monaco actually sucks rear end as a track and always has, the only reason races are entertaining there is due to mass attrition and wacky results that ensue. I'd rather watch the 500 any day, and I am not a fan of ovals.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The best part of Monaco is that it's something to watch before the 500 starts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

The best part of Monaco is that it's something to watch before the 500 starts.

True.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Alonso will get taken out turn one, lap one, by Charlie Kimball, or possibly Sage Karam. :(

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He will have a 30 lap battle with Takuma Sato for the lead only for both to be taken out by Sage Karam.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

dentist toy box posted:

There's that Twitter post earlier that was posted in the thread with the guy going "abloobloo he's ruining the pureness of our procession thru a bourgeois tax haven"

Jake was the lead presenter for the BBC's F1 coverage until he left for BT Sport, who show IndyCar in the UK. You'd think he'd be happy about this.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Hey guys, remember that bygone era of Indycar when the best drivers from sprint cars, NASCAR, and F1 would all take their shot at the Indy 500?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

He will have a 30 lap battle with Takuma Sato for the lead only for both to be taken out by Sage Karam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRBWHhpoZ4&t=28s

(Can't find the much better video someone in here made five years ago)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

VikingSkull posted:

No one is salty. Everyone is loving stoked.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

No one is salty. Everyone is loving stoked.

I wasn't meaning the SA thread, there's tons of it elsewhere on the internet.

I don't even read that thread lol

e- remember, even at its worst, the racing threads on SA are filled with incredibly knowledgeable and dedicated race fans..... we are far from the lowest common denominator

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

VikingSkull posted:

I wasn't meaning the SA thread, there's tons of it elsewhere on the internet.

I don't even read that thread lol

e- remember, even at its worst, the racing threads on SA are filled with incredibly knowledgeable and dedicated race fans..... we are far from the lowest common denominator

This.

Racing threads, as bad as they are on SA are not what they are elsewhere.

There is a not small group of people who are probably waving pitchforks and torches outside of McLaren's race shop and Alonso will need extra security for the next few races. So imagine what is being said on the internet.

• Locked thread