Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So after I heard zero was going to be taken off Netflix on the 15th, I decided to watch it again. It had been long enough since I last saw it that I wanted to see what I thought of it after all this time.

In conclusion, my feelings toward it are quite a bit more complicated than when I last saw it, where I was annoyed with aspects of it, but I generally found it pretty great. The thing is it's just so weird in comparison with basically all the other entries in the series. I realize Urobuchi has his thing, but it's just so different when compared to Nasu's thing I just couldn't stop noticing it when it came up. The show goes to pains showing corpses (especially the corpses of children when they do come up, and I do know the novel was even worse in this regard), and the first Dead Apostle that comes up on Kerry's island is, of course, his cute childhood friend.

When I first watched the show, I can honestly say I didn't overly care for Waver / Rider, but watching it for the third time, I've considerably warmed to them. I think the thing is they could be dropped into the middle of FSN and not be particularly out of place, but it's refreshing to have a Master / Servant pair that gets along with each other and isn't so damned seriouspants all the time. Which is also why the Saber / Iri stuff was so nice, too. The novel and / or anime needed more of them palling around. Gilgamesh also brings some nice levity to the proceedings, some of the time, and his conversations with Kirei were definitely a highlight, which of course Nasu did so first in Heaven's Feel, but they didn't disappoint in Urobuchi's hands.

Overall, there's enough neat things in the show (I've always really liked the Lancelot stuff toward the end, and still think it's good) that I still like it, but it does have considerable flaws that I think makes FSN, and most everything Nasu has written in the series, superior. If only because Nasu can do levity and it's not a sign of "This scene will be entirely serious" when some characters show up in a scene. I mean, I still like Kiritsugu, but that's only with the knowledge he's still basically a child trying to make his childhood wish a reality, and that aspect of his personality just doesn't come through very often.

The show was at its best when it was most resembling FSN, and just think Urobuchi doesn't really do prequels to someone else's work very well, and is more comfortable when he's writing for his own stuff. I just think, at the end of the day, Nasu could have written a prequel to FSN that would have been much nicer, or at least not so bitter and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Thinking about it, we now have free servants in all the main class types.

Saber: Eli Brave, Artoria Lily
Archer: Nobu
Lancer: Jeanne D'arc Alter Santa Lily
Rider: Kintoki
Assassin: Ryougi, Scathach
Caster: Eli Halloween, Irisviel
Berserker: Chacha

I'm now humoring the thought of a free Ruler, Avenger, and Alter Ego.

VVV: Yes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You're missing Assassin Scathath.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
For a moment there I thought we have two free lancer the list.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just realized that a big reason Mashu is so good is that her third skill lets you complete fill her NP gauge (and some) in just one turn (I think just a single Arts plus maybe a Quick is enough). She's easily one of my best servants now that I have her skills maxed out.

edit: vvv Yeah, after maxing her skills you can keep up her first skill most of the time, and when you also take into account her NP (or having a servant like Tamamo who can cut skill recharge time) you can keep a defensive buff up constantly.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 10, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Mashu also allows all of your units to eat, more or less, a free hit before massively reducing their damage intake. Mashu is one of the best support servants and it's great that you get one of the most useful units right out of the starting gate.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Got Chacha and I just need one more fan to get her last copy for her NP. And then into grinding hell.

Gotta say, in terms of drops, this event isn't too bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

Got Chacha and I just need one more fan to get her last copy for her NP. And then into grinding hell.

Gotta say, in terms of drops, this event isn't too bad.

Yeah these new quests drop 40-50 of the selected item + 10000-15000 points per run. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to max out the points though, since it seems like there won't be any more quests that grant points. Right now I have a little over 400,000 for each faction.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I ordered an Nvidia Shield K1. No more of this loving around with emulators for me :colbert:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Wait, this is only a one week event? The 43 hours are the timer? :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wuxi posted:

Wait, this is only a one week event? The 43 hours are the timer? :ohdear:

Event details:

Duration: 5 Apr to 19 Apr

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Event details:

Duration: 5 Apr to 19 Apr

That saves me from frantically farming all day tomorrow

What is the timer for though?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Tamamo, destroyer of balls and harems

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sylphid posted:

The show was at its best when it was most resembling FSN, and just think Urobuchi doesn't really do prequels to someone else's work very well, and is more comfortable when he's writing for his own stuff. I just think, at the end of the day, Nasu could have written a prequel to FSN that would have been much nicer, or at least not so bitter and depressing.

To be fair, Zero was written in a dark period of Uro's life. There's a chance if he were to write Zero nowadays it'd be less edgy.

InfinityComplex posted:

Thinking about it, we now have free servants in all the main class types.

Saber: Eli Brave, Artoria Lily
Archer: Nobu
Lancer: Jeanne D'arc Alter Santa Lily
Rider: Kintoki
Assassin: Ryougi, Scathach
Caster: Eli Halloween, Irisviel
Berserker: Chacha

I'm now humoring the thought of a free Ruler, Avenger, and Alter Ego.

VVV: Yes.

You forgot Santa Alter and Kuro. We have two of each main class except Lancer and Berserker. I assume we'll get single-target Lancer and Berserker for the next freebies to round out the sets (and maybe a single target Caster) before moving on to the more esoteric classes.

And we do have a free Avenger, you know. :v:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And yet he's harder to get than some 5*s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The next event with a welfare will almost certainly be the CCC event, and I'd bet money on B.B. being a single target caster

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kyte posted:

To be fair, Zero was written in a dark period of Uro's life. There's a chance if he were to write Zero nowadays it'd be less edgy.

Huh, didn't know that. Like Lucas and Spielberg doing Temple of Doom at a depressing time in their lives?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sylphid posted:

Huh, didn't know that. Like Lucas and Spielberg doing Temple of Doom at a depressing time in their lives?
Well it's less "dark" and more "edgy". Or something. His afterwords were kind of weird. Either way, apparently writing Zero was a bit of a cathartic experience. After that he did Madoka (there's hints of Madoka's premise in the volume afterwords, actually) and then the fruit-themed Kamen Rider whose name I forgot.
Overall, his edge levels post-FZ went down a fair bit.

Compendium posted:

And yet he's harder to get than some 5*s
I have him at NP2. :smuggo:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 11, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Kyte posted:

edit: in other news, I am so glad for my lvl. 100 Cu Lancer. Lasted the whole Hijitaka node without a scratch on him and a x5 boost from being an event boost character plus extra Wolves of Mibu CE.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 11, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The stars of this event are clearly the Nobus. Their dinky little animations and voicework is great.

Especially guntank.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kyte posted:

NP3!

Edit: VERG! AVESTAAAArrghsdghvjbvlksdrxvn!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Argas posted:

The stars of this event are clearly the Nobus. Their dinky little animations and voicework is great.

Especially guntank.

The noise the Nobu UFOs make when they get hit by a NP is fantastic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rie Kugimiya must've had a blast voicing the nobus again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kyte posted:

Rie Kugimiya must've had a blast voicing the nobus again.

Speaking of which, I found this Nobu soundboard on reddit.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/3dMmSkw.gifv

Argas fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 12, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

I appreciate all the nobus

Especially the ufonobu

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I can't remember if I asked the thread, but I rolled Emiya and Nitocris a few weeks ago (my first Servants higher than 3-Stars since the New Year): How are they?

I used to event to easily ascend Emiya and do his upgrade quest.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
EMIYA used to be bad, but he's improved a bit in past updates. The UBW NP generates a lot of stars and it gets better once you finish his second interlude. Having three Arts cards helps build his NP nicely too.

IDK about Nitocris, I haven't maxed out her level yet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Emiya is the best 4* Archer and Nitocris is also very good. With the former you've got good NP gain, really strong skills that increase his star gen and strength of every one of his cards for a turn, and an NP that ignores defense. Nitocris has solid NP gain, instant death NP combined with a skill that buffs its success rate, and a guts skill that also cleans her of debuffs. She's not the best 4* Caster (That's Helena or Medea Lily), but she has a solid niche in enemy waveclearing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nice, thanks!

With Merlin, NP2 Nursery Rhime and now Nitocris I feel like my Casters are all blinged up. Emiya is my first non-welfare gold Archer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitocris also has high-speed incantation B, which just flatout gives her a full NP bar at rank 7ish and is exclusive to her and the medeas. And the medeas have a single target NP and a heal NP respectively, so Nitocris has the most spammable AOE NP in the game. Give her a starting NP craft essence and have the mystic code with the NP boost equipped, grab a zhuge support, and she can just NP every single wave of a daily quest.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Emiya also an event boosted servant for many shitload of events.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

Nitocris also has high-speed incantation B, which just flatout gives her a full NP bar at rank 7ish and is exclusive to her and the medeas.

You're thinking High-Speed Divine Words. Andersen & P-san have HSI and Xuanzang has High-Speed Sutra Chanting, all of which are pretty much the same.

For reference, HSDW A (Medeas) gives 101% at Lv. 4, HSDW B (Nito) gives 96% at Lv. 7, HSI A (P-san) caps at 80%, HSI E (Andersen) caps at 75% and HSSC A (Xuanzang) caps at 80% plus gives 20% NP damage up.

Honestly, I feel HSDW is a bit too strong and the extra charge ends up wasted. Medea and Medlily's overcharges are only "ok" (NP refund and debuff resist, respectively) and Nito's is pretty much useless (lol death rate).
Meanwhile Andersen has faster cooldown (by 1 turn, though he could've actually used the overcharge) and Xuanzang can augment her NP's damage.

P-san on the other hand gets the worst of both worlds with not enough to reach 200% (Atk Down debuff can be useful) while having to wait one more turn than HSDW.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So I just discovered this thread and was hoping some of y'all could answer my question.

According to one of my friends (who is a much bigger Fate nerd than I am), F/GO is supposed to be receiving an English translation some time this summer. However, I've Googled multiple times and have been unable to find any sort of official confirmation about it. Could any of you confirm/deny it, or am I just holding my breath for potentially no reason?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We know nothing about an english release, we literally just got acknowledged by the devs in a recent interview they'd try to thank us in some way for our support, but there has been 0 word or even hint on an english release. Apparently since China FGO was also successful they're looking to branch out, but English FGO would be so far behind at this point that it'd feel pointless.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They could just go the Granblue route and just add an English translation to the existing JP release rather than do a proper overseas one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would rather they do that at this point but it might not happen since Granblue is the only standard for that afaik

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They recently opened preregs for FGO in I forget which SEA country, actually. Might've been taiwan?
Yep, Taiwan. http://fate-go.com.tw/register/

-

The main problem with "just adding English translation" is that it's that English translation that is the long stick. We're talking an unusually text-dense game here that needs a very strong background in the game's overall lore if you don't want to get stuck in "what the gently caress this means" hell. So you get stuck in an awkward situation where you have to delay releases or have the translation lag behind releases.

It's also a pretty big commitment that'd require TM/DW to hire a translation team whose contract says "as long as the game is in service".
I suppose they could handle it through Aniplex, but it's still not very well-tread ground as far as I can tell.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i could see them adding an option for english menus to the jp version but i cant see them ever tling all that plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Granblue has a ton of text and that worked out fine.