Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Do habitats count as colonized planets for the purposes of increasing unity/tech costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
:laffo: when you pick the syncretic evolution civic as humans on Earth the second species is called "neo-chimp" and use the hairy gorilla alien portrait.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

:laffo: when you pick the syncretic evolution civic as humans on Earth the second species is called the "neo-chimps" and use the hairy gorilla alien portrait.

That's really really good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hah. God drat. No wonder armageddon bombardment seemed unimpressive - the events that actually kill off pops and destroy buildings only check for limited or full bombardment, so "armageddon" acts the same as light bombardment for those purposes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I finished the abandoned terraforming project in my ironman game, and it created a bunch of horrors that took over the planet. That itself wouldn't be a huge problem, but for the fact that it also flipped the spaceport to hostile. It is still very early in this game, so that is enough space power to be a problem. I need enough fleet to deal with that too.

That said, I do have this, which is basically 'winning, the planet'. With my industrious race, mining guild civic, and +50% mineral modifier on the planet, this thing is a one-stop mineral shop for supplying an entire empire.

Since food is now shared between planets there is no reason whatsoever for you to not build mines on every tile available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah if you have a planet with a specific bonus there's no reason not to dedicate it 100% to that bonus. I settled a lovely planet that had the -10% hab but +20% engineering research trait and filled every tile with engineering labs. Pretty much all my engineering comes from that planet.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last night I'd enabled colonization for all my sectors, and they actually colonized everything until nothing was left but tomb worlds, and then they started colonizing those with robots. And it turned out the FE next door didn't want us settling on tomb worlds, and made us destroy the colony. So I disabled colonization, but kept getting humiliated energy few turns over a new colony on some tomb world. It turns out disabling colonization did nothing, and my governors kept colonizing them over and over instantly upon colony re-destruction so I had to cope with the humiliated debug for a few decades until I had enough bs to lure them into a war over loving tomb worlds and defeat them.

Then I got no achievements on ironman :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that releasing goons into enemy empires should be at least as bad as genocide, diplomatically, tbh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poverty goat posted:

Last night I'd enabled colonization for all my sectors, and they actually colonized everything until nothing was left but tomb worlds, and then they started colonizing those with robots. And it turned out the FE next door didn't want us settling on tomb worlds, and made us destroy the colony. So I disabled colonization, but kept getting humiliated energy few turns over a new colony on some tomb world. It turns out disabling colonization did nothing, and my governors kept colonizing them over and over instantly upon colony re-destruction so I had to cope with the humiliated debug for a few decades until I had enough bs to lure them into a war over loving tomb worlds and defeat them.

Then I got no achievements on ironman :argh:

That's cool that it works though. I'm still too OCD to let a sector take a planet until I've filled every tile with something though. How are they at developing from scratch? Do they actually build paradise domes and monuments and poo poo at all or let their planets be festering low happiness hell holes?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

uber_stoat posted:

haha, I've finished the First League chain twice on Utopia only to have it crap out on the final step each time. never managed to get that far previously. fix this poo poo. god drat.

and by the way, I have never had the Horizon Signal stuff fire even once. bought that and never played it.
can this sort of thing be "fixed" by firing the last step from the console, or does the chain still linger in your special projects tab after you fire it manually?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I didn't really dig into it but this was a democratic civ with open boders, etc so they easily filled every planet with something that could happily live there and in the end I had absolutely insane mineral/energy production and I didn't cone across any undeveloped planets

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Soup du Journey posted:

can this sort of thing be "fixed" by firing the last step from the console, or does the chain still linger in your special projects tab after you fire it manually?

Yeah you can do that. I should look up the event id's or what ever. With something like the cybrex homeworld the bonus is really the ring world itself and it's huge engineering bonuses, but other home systems give 100% of their reward via the final event.

Speaking of events, I actually did enigmatic fortress for the first time. It was fun and I got a huge amount of special tech. Is all the enigmatic tech good or is it a trap reward where it's all stuff that's shittier than default techs?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Baronjutter posted:

That's cool that it works though. I'm still too OCD to let a sector take a planet until I've filled every tile with something though. How are they at developing from scratch? Do they actually build paradise domes and monuments and poo poo at all or let their planets be festering low happiness hell holes?

When you let your sectors build up a planet from nothing they're pretty decent at it.

When you partially build up some tiles and then let them fill in the rest the sectors seem to not know what the gently caress to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

When you let your sectors build up a planet from nothing they're pretty decent at it.

When you partially build up some tiles and then let them fill in the rest the sectors seem to not know what the gently caress to do.

I wish we could set "must build" rules or "never build" rules. Like "never build planetary shields or military academy" or "always build paradise dome and monument to purity"
Paradise dome has the exact stats as a high level farm, sector AI should replace a farm to build them once they can.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also enabled colonisation for my sectors as an experiment, and on one of their first colonies they built the capital right on top of a betharian stone deposit. :downs:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah you can do that. I should look up the event id's or what ever. With something like the cybrex homeworld the bonus is really the ring world itself and it's huge engineering bonuses, but other home systems give 100% of their reward via the final event.

Speaking of events, I actually did enigmatic fortress for the first time. It was fun and I got a huge amount of special tech. Is all the enigmatic tech good or is it a trap reward where it's all stuff that's shittier than default techs?

Enigmatic tech is basically Tier 6 power & shields and is accordingly great. The encoder is also good for buffing corvette evasion to the point that they're incredibly hard to hit.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. God drat. No wonder armageddon bombardment seemed unimpressive - the events that actually kill off pops and destroy buildings only check for limited or full bombardment, so "armageddon" acts the same as light bombardment for those purposes.

Wait, seriously? They barely changed that event file but I thought they were handling Armageddon bombardment somewhere else for some reason, is it really just not accounted for at all anywhere?

Well, I guess I have an actual reason to update my bombardment mod now.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Holy crap haha. I just spawned the reckoning. Guess it was time to start a new game anyway

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, seriously? They barely changed that event file but I thought they were handling Armageddon bombardment somewhere else for some reason, is it really just not accounted for at all anywhere?

Well, I guess I have an actual reason to update my bombardment mod now.
Doesn't look like it.

I hope they actually make it able to kill off the last pop on a planet, if and when they correct it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does the AI do shroud poo poo? I don't want to play spiritualists but it would be cool to see that poo poo going down in one of my idiot neighbour's empire.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I accidentally 7 hours of Stellaris without food. Oops.

Utopia and Banks are pretty fun, guys.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so i got my first ascenion perk and i was looking at the 10% research rate for my fanatic materialist space scientists who are exploiting the hell out of the "get research points for surveyed" systems perk but then i saw +5 core systems :stare:

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
drat just got wiped out. I was a Xenophile Materialist and ended up bumping into a Fanatic Xenophobe like 3 jumps from my home system. Everything was fine for quite a while, with them just sending insulting messages occasionally. Finally though they declared war, and I just could not keep up with them, either in fleet size or apparently tech, even though I was higher in the chain. I guess I should have been more wary with them that close and focused on military spending.

This was only my 2nd game though, so live and learn I guess!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm of the opinion that mastery of nature is the best first pick. Not only do you now have to pay 0 for removing all tile blockers, but they're all researched so you have better tech options in society.

I've been mucking around with starting tradition trees, and if you don't get totally gimped on starting systems prosperity is probably the best first few points (30 saved minerals per mining station, then if you have a lot of energy grab private colony ships), though rushing discovery for survey +tech bonus is probably viable in some setups.

edit: fanatic xenophobe, especially if they're militarist, can have a pretty good bonus to fleet cap and fighting strength. Side benefits of more territory can give them more resources to be working with as well. With the bonus to influence from rivals he could be using edicts to boost poo poo as well!

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

boner confessor posted:

so i got my first ascenion perk and i was looking at the 10% research rate for my fanatic materialist space scientists who are exploiting the hell out of the "get research points for surveyed" systems perk but then i saw +5 core systems :stare:

I prefer the "gently caress blockers" option personally.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
the bottom two techs in prosperity are pretty good especially if you take them in the late game, nothing like saving a bucket of energy each month .

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Oh I forgot another side benefit to taking the "gently caress blockers" perk: having a pile of extra techs researched makes the AI like research treaties better.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

boner confessor posted:

gently caress +5 core systems. Past about 8 systems I find it's just tedious busywork.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rumda posted:

the bottom two techs in prosperity are pretty good especially if you take them in the late game, nothing like saving a bucket of energy each month .

Everything in prosperity top to bottom is very good. Adopting it as your first pick always is basically hands down the best choice even if you aren't filling it out just yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I prefer the "gently caress blockers" option personally.

that one was real attractive but in my game i'm sitting on a huge pile of influence and there's a cluster of two big continental worlds + a gaia world about halfway between me and another continental species

it only takes me like 3 months to crush a block removal tech anyway

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Technically the game I'm on where I went discovery ended up having prosperity first be a giant trap if I'd have taken it. I had 1 energy station available in my starting area of influence, while I had several science stations. I've also been lucky and gotten 200 minerals from anomolies, which let me actually afford my first colony in reasonable time.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
My first ascension pick ever was Mastery of Nature, but I've shied away from it in subsequent games because while it's truly awesome at its niche, it's a finite niche which becomes less and less relevant as the game goes on. Most other Ascension picks have better staying power.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Conskill posted:

My first ascension pick ever was Mastery of Nature, but I've shied away from it in subsequent games because while it's truly awesome at its niche, it's a finite niche which becomes less and less relevant as the game goes on. Most other Ascension picks have better staying power.

It's worth 100 minerals and energy on every blocker you clear. The research savings is incidental compared to that since I don't value bio research at the same level as physics and engineering.

That adds up to thousands over the course of a game and if you get it first it will save a lot of resources in the part of the game where you are most strapped for them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, having played with mastery of nature now, it very likely is the strongest pick. While true that it isn't a pick which is useful late game, it is a very strong early game bonus. The amount of minerals, energy, and research it saves you are pretty huge, and should be leveraged into a better long-term position. Spend those saved minerals on more expanding and/or more killing your neighbors.

Think civ. A unique axemen or archer is a lot more useful than a unique jet fighter. A bonus right now is often better than a bonus later.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Baronjutter posted:

Does the AI do shroud poo poo? I don't want to play spiritualists but it would be cool to see that poo poo going down in one of my idiot neighbour's empire.

I don't know if they actually contact the shroud or not, but I have seen them pick the Transcendence Ascension perk so it's definitely possible that they do.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Those of you playing Fanatical Purifiers, are you also getting the unity penalty for xenos along with the no bonus unity for purging?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stellaris news on Steam included this for some reason: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/11/best-steam-games-april/
That opening made me get that song stuck in my head all day and since I've been playing Utopia a lot...

He was a Blorg, she was a girl.
Can I make it anymore obvious?
He was a -phile, she was a -phobe.
What more can I say?
He wanted friends, she'd never tell.
Secretly she wanted friendship as well.
But all of her friends hung up their noose.
They had a problem with his baggy pose.

Sorry girl, but you missed out
Well tough luck that Blorg's mine now
We are really quite good friends
This is how the story ends
Too bad that you couldn't see
See the friend that Blorg could be
There is more than meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I finished the abandoned terraforming project in my ironman game, and it created a bunch of horrors that took over the planet. That itself wouldn't be a huge problem, but for the fact that it also flipped the spaceport to hostile. It is still very early in this game, so that is enough space power to be a problem. I need enough fleet to deal with that too.

That said, I do have this, which is basically 'winning, the planet'. With my industrious race, mining guild civic, and +50% mineral modifier on the planet, this thing is a one-stop mineral shop for supplying an entire empire.

I had a size 20+ planet with High Quality Minerals and either Extensive Moon System or Carbon World. Mineraled that right up. Lost that game to the iron man bug :(

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So can we just word feature requests in the form of authors now? Because I for one can't wait for the Phillip K. Dick patch (I will also settle for Mieville)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, having played with mastery of nature now, it very likely is the strongest pick. While true that it isn't a pick which is useful late game, it is a very strong early game bonus. The amount of minerals, energy, and research it saves you are pretty huge, and should be leveraged into a better long-term position. Spend those saved minerals on more expanding and/or more killing your neighbors.

Think civ. A unique axemen or archer is a lot more useful than a unique jet fighter. A bonus right now is often better than a bonus later.
Yeah it's brutally good. That said I'd like to see the others buffed rather than MoN nerfed, it's the only one that feels like a cool game changer out of the starting bunch. Give the others something on top of/instead of their +numbersness.

Soup du Journey posted:

So how do you buckaroos like to use Planetary Survey Corps? Do you make a beeline for it, or do you first pick up stuff from expansion/prosperity? When you do get PCS, how many science ships do you like to run with? 2? 3? 4? More?
I build a cthonian monument on game start, unlock Prosperity for the mining station cost reducer, then beeline for PSC (picking up the sweet research station reducer on the way) unless I want to get a quick colony out in which case I'll grab the Explorer unlock for the +1 pop. Then I'll either finish out the Explorer or Prosperity tree depending on how many colonies I'm throwing down, grab MoN, and start selectively unlocking +Unity buildings from the other trees.

• Locked thread