Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

If "XR: destroy X artifact" is less good than something already in Standard, it means that standard had already enough artifact hate.

Standard already has enough artifact hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
So is the story for Amonket that the gatewatch shows up and then the people rise up in revolt against their oppressors? Because...

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

bigperm posted:

So is the story for Amonket that the gatewatch shows up and then the people rise up in revolt against their oppressors? Because...

yeah but get this, this time they lose

woah

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

basically Amonkhet is Middle Kingdom Egypt and Nicol Bolas is the Hyksos

I haven't figured out what the Gatewatch maps to yet because the Theban Dynasty is kind of a stretch

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Wurzag posted:

woah
Bigger plot twist: Nicol Bolas actually cares about this plane and the people inside it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Wurzag posted:

woah

That would be smart, and we can't have that

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Look like the story needed an edit.

Reddit posted:

Nissa continued. "On Zendikar, I was without the company of people for most of my life. The plane was the closest thing to a friend I had. Learning to trust has been . . . slow—and there is still much for me to learn. Understanding and sustaining friendships is daunting when one has never really done it before."
Chandra shifted awkwardly. "So . . . friendship is about the limit of what you feel comfortable with right now?"
Nissa blinked. Chandra worked very hard not to stare.
"Yes," Nissa said, "I suppose so, given everything at hand."
"Ah."

Reddit posted:

Chandra shifted awkwardly. "So . . . friendship?"
Nissa blinked. Chandra worked very hard not to stare.
"Yes," Nissa smiled.
Nissa closed her eyes, and took another deep breath, her headache receding. It felt good to confess insecurities. She smiled and looked Chandra in the eye.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Veyrall posted:

Bigger plot twist: Nicol Bolas actually cares about this plane and the people inside it.

I think he could be Doctor Dooming it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pretty sure that Hour of Devastation is going to Bolas dropping the shields and letting the desert monsters destroy the city, in response to the Gatewatch loving over his planeswalker factory.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Thanks for the response. There's an Ahmonkhet prerelease close to where I live, so I might pop in and get started with that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

unless there's going to be a pretty major plot twist this is not the case, we have the plane itself contacting nissa to tell her how hosed it is

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

clamiam45 posted:

Wizards will try and fail to make a story sadder than the dragon who is used as a book, but himself can't read. Poor guy.

Poor dragon :(

Elyv posted:

unless there's going to be a pretty major plot twist this is not the case, we have the plane itself contacting nissa to tell her how hosed it is

Bolas and the Gatewatch are going to get their asses dragged into the Interdimensional Planeswalker Court and that poo poo isn't going to be admissible testimony.

"Your honor, you don't understand - I talked with the plane itself and it told me --"

"Objection, hearsay."

"Sustained"

Also Elf Hitler might just be making this poo poo up.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I doubt he gives a gently caress about them but he DOES need a functional society for his goals of probably farming walkers.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ironically, the least obnoxious member of the jacetice league might actually be jace (ajani doesn't count)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Also Elf Hitler might just be making this poo poo up.

sadly, today's entire story was written from her point of view

GeneX posted:

Ironically, the least obnoxious member of the jacetice league might actually be jace (ajani doesn't count)

the best part of today's story, by far, is after nissa's dreamchat with the plane at the beginning about nicol bolas is stealing all the dead people, a mummy bursts into their room while half of them are sleeping with food and ale, freaking them all out and waking the rest up. Then Nissa and Chandra go on a walk while Jace broods at the carafe of ale and presumably drinks it offscreen

what I'm trying to say is that Jace might be an alcoholic

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 12, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The best part about the best part is how Jace immediately suspects it's Liliana pranking them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lili is the best because she agrees that the jacetice league is very dumb.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
e:nm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

YggdrasilTM posted:

quote:

If she doesn't spark in the next set, I will eat my hat.

I'm guessing that's why you brought it up, but that's the art that a few days ago showed up on the artist's Instagram tagged #planeswalker.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Siivola posted:

That embalm exception is more awkward than Chandra's pass at Nissa.

Yea this is what I'm thinking but I get that they want to make it behave like any other token.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Token Creature - Zombie Shapeshifter Cleric

Welcome to Amonkhet, people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So this is just bad, right?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

mcmagic posted:

I don't know. Is Clone, but with flashback bad? Maybe.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

for constructed? sure. its a clone. clone hasn't been good in a million years. It is one of the best clones printed in recent history because you can use it twice.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jenx posted:

I don't know. Is Clone, but with flashback bad? Maybe.

Cackling Counterpart never made any waves, although I guess that one could only copy your own stuff

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The baseline for a good clone is pretty much 2.5 mana as Metamorph and Phantasmal Image set, having flashback is a pretty drat good bump in it's favor though

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What happens if you clone an activated Heart of Kiran?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Whether embalm puts it over the top will in some part depend on how prevalent all of white's enchantment-based exile removal is, I'd think. Or a 4-mana clone with flashback might still just be bad even if all removal just destroys, who knows.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Cackling Counterpart never made any waves, although I guess that one could only copy your own stuff

Clever Impersonator didn't do much either right?

Siivola posted:

You get a Heart of Kiran, uncrewed.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Siivola posted:

If its your opponent's Heart you get an un-crewed Heart. If its your Heart you get to bin one of you two Hearts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pretty sure they're going in the correct order for formats the spoiled cards are cool in.

Which is Limited, Commander, Modern, then Standard.

Actually it's just all of the first three in a mishmash.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Serperoth posted:

You get a Heart of Kiran, uncrewed.
...oh. That wasn't what I expected, but okay.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Someone tell me why I shouldn't put Altar of the God-Pharaoh in my Marath Tokens EDH deck by the way.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

but what will you cut???? :eek:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Siivola posted:

...oh. That wasn't what I expected, but okay.

Clones copy the card. Clones don't really care about any effects applied to that card. If you cast a Giant Growth on a 2/2 and Clone it, you don't get a 5/5, you get a 2/2. Cloning a 2/2 with Spectral Flight on it doesn't give you a 4/4 flier, you get a 2/2. Playing a Vesuva copying an Urza's Tower with Spreading Seas on it gives you an Urza's Tower, not an Island. Playing a Vesuva on an Inkmoth Nexus that you made into a creature gives you a non-creature Inkmoth Nexus.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can anyone help me understand why they had to add all the "except if...." text to the non-token Vizier of Many Faces?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Can anyone help me understand why they had to add all the "except if...." text to the non-token Vizier of Many Faces?
Derp

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Otherwise it would copy the new characteristics of whatever it's cloning including mana cost, without getting the usual color and additional Zombie type that other Embalm tokens get.

Embalm is hideously clumsy.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ShaneB posted:

I mean they didn't mechanically have to, but if they didn't people would doubtless get confused about whether it was a zombie etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Except IT, not if

Ummm

looks like except if to me

Basically that text is already on the embalmed token... I just don't know why the main card needs it as well.

• Locked thread