Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You people done gone crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Actually having done some work on res areas in nevada, poo poo is pretty bad there and whatabouting in mumbai is kinda lovely.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Native American reservations are some of the most abject poverty I've seen ever, our social work class visited one over the summer and tried to see what we could do to help.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TildeATH posted:

You people done gone crazy.

gently caress you

that is all

I mean I guess the places in the US that are destitute can sort of rely on a basic existence of a civil society that will hypothetically serve their needs but in actuality won't do so so... it's better than say Somalians who struggle under the exact same conditions but lack said hypothetical rule of law and order yeah fine.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 12, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It might not be to the same degree as the worst possible conditions imaginable in AIDS infested hellholes ruled by cannibal warlords, but being poor in the great US of A can be as lovely as being a poor in any developing nation, and these people are just as vulnerable to economic and social upheaval.

Like say poo poo, you are in Florida, lacking higher education, already deep in debt and without the economic ability to relocate - what happens when there's not only a nation-wide (nevermind world-wide) economic crash, but also the state itself is going under from unrelenting hurricanes and floods? Do you think the nice government is going to pick you up and set you up with a job in a state that's not hosed? At best you're getting transport to essentially a temporary refugee camp that'll end up being permanent.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If there is one thing America does extra-special to gouge poor people (it's several) it's wealth disparity and conspicuous consumption. Sub-Saharan Africa got nothing on us 😎

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was thinking about this at work yesterday, about how it's actually vastly worse to be stuck in crippling poverty in North America rather than elsewhere because the entire system is designed around having cash resources.

Dirt poor in some eastern european village? You have property which was given to your family from the communist era, and growing your own food is second nature because the food economy has been unchanged for centuries. Dirt poor in rural Washington? Good luck not starving.

But this is a matter of socioeconomics. Suffice it to say that the USA is going to get nailed to the wall by climate change. The only people who think otherwise are living in ivory towers and have never struggled to survive once in their life. :colbert:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eNeMeE posted:

Congratulations on being an awful person, I guess?

That's exactly why I made the decision, the people wishing me death are funny and cool, and I'm a bad person for not trying to rip open my abdomen and hand them my still beating heart. I definitely wish the people joking about my death think I'm an awful person, for sure.

TildeATH posted:

No there aren't you're being a dummy.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/inside-colonias-the-texas-border-towns-without-electricity-or-running-water

You're a dumb lovely poster who needs to read more. I'm guessing these people don't count because they're brown, right

call to action fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 12, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

call to action posted:

That's exactly why I made the decision, the people wishing me death are funny and cool, and I'm a bad person for not trying to rip open my abdomen and hand them my still beating heart
Your heart is not in your abdomen.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your heart is not in your abdomen.

You can rip open an abdomen to get to the heart, ask me how I know (former EMT in SD, CA). If you've got any more medical questions maybe keep them out of the thread tho

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

call to action posted:

You can rip open an abdomen to get to the heart, ask me how I know (former EMT in SD, CA). If you've got any more medical questions maybe keep them out of the thread tho

You are weirdly defensive about your extremely selfish and irrational choice. You're a selfish rear end in a top hat, own it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You used to be in the medical field, you're not an organ donor, and you ride a motorcycle? I don't actually have words for that level of stupidity.

...how did you end up in this thread?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

I definitely wish the people joking about my death think I'm an awful person, for sure.

you really showed them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Internet Explorer posted:

You used to be in the medical field, you're not an organ donor, and you ride a motorcycle? I don't actually have words for that level of stupidity.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty curious, too. Like, no offense, but it does seem to be a really weird combination. Not donating organs after you're done with them to spite some hypothetical strangers is a super-dick move, but then you were also apparently an EMT? Like, isn't saving lives generally considered to be a good thing no matter what some snide assholes say about your choice of transportation?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Maybe his career choice was motivated by a desire to see people suffer.

But he also said that he's not donating organs for spiritual reasons so who knows what's up.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe the spiritual reason is getting real loving ripped on booze.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty curious, too. Like, no offense, but it does seem to be a really weird combination. Not donating organs after you're done with them to spite some hypothetical strangers is a super-dick move, but then you were also apparently an EMT? Like, isn't saving lives generally considered to be a good thing no matter what some snide assholes say about your choice of transportation?

It's just a (particularly spiteful) variety of the cognitive dissonance that allows us to post in this thread bemoaning the future climate apocalypse but then wake up the next morning and drive to work or enjoy a steak or plan our trip to the Great Barrier Reef or whatever other unsustainable thing everyone invariably does that nebulously fucks over some future person.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

That's exactly why I made the decision, the people wishing me death are funny and cool, and I'm a bad person for not trying to rip open my abdomen and hand them my still beating heart. I definitely wish the people joking about my death think I'm an awful person, for sure.

I like that you think the people who teased you are the ones who would have gotten the life-saving organs they need to survive if you'd died. Likely it's just some sad miserable person suffering because their organs are falling apart and not someone who teases motorcyclists but hey, go get em, dude.

call to action posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/inside-colonias-the-texas-border-towns-without-electricity-or-running-water

You're a dumb lovely poster who needs to read more. I'm guessing these people don't count because they're brown, right

I don't need a Vice doc to know about any of that, I've lived in some of those communities growing up and anyone who argues that being poor in America is equivalent to being poor in 3rd world countries is a moron. The kind of mental gymnastics you all do and the kind of willful ignorance of the level of suffering going on out in the rest of the world is, well, right in line with the kind of irrational thinking that leads a person to punish the suffering because they were teased about riding a motorcycle.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's loving amazing how butthurt people get when they hear they're not getting my organs, usually from people who have very longwinded opinions about bodily autonomy. It's so bizarre to think about not getting a donation from me as "punishing the suffering", yet for some reason when you don't donate your vacation cash to help the needy, that's not "punishing the suffering".

Telling though how many people need to chime in and tell me how hard they're rolling their eyes at my decisions. Maybe if you didn't view me as merely a means to my organs your gramps wouldn't have died before they got to the top of the list.

TildeATH posted:

I don't need a Vice doc to know about any of that, I've lived in some of those communities growing up

No you didn't.

Yeah, how stupid of me to get out of a minimum wage field and not to give your mamaw my meat. So dumb, y'know.

call to action fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You specifically said you are not an organ donor to spite people who joked about you being an organ donor because you ride a motorcycle. Fuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk offfffffffff with your "bodily autonomy." You'd be dead.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why is the CC thread currently about some guy going libertarian about organ donation

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

why is the CC thread currently about some guy going libertarian about organ donation

Because they keep responding to me for some reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's us, we're the ecomutants.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Motto posted:

the same reason we talked about meatballs in the trump thread

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You specifically said you are not an organ donor to spite people who joked about you being an organ donor because you ride a motorcycle. Fuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk offfffffffff with your "bodily autonomy." You'd be dead.

As if it loving matters, plenty of women were happy to get abortions, some characterized them as "getting rid of a parasite". Just because people phrase their thought process in a way that hurts your feelings doesn't strip them of their rights. Sorry bud.

Now, on topic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/climate/climate-change-warming-permafrost.html

quote:

As global warming thaws the permafrost, the frozen land that covers nearly six million square miles of the earth, a big question for scientists is: How much will be lost?

The answer, according to a new analysis: more than many of them thought.

A study published Tuesday in the journal Nature Climate Change suggests that as the planet warms toward 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels, each degree Celsius of warming will lead to the thawing of about 1.5 million square miles of permafrost.

That figure is at least 20 percent higher than most previous studies, said Sarah E. Chadburn, a researcher at the University of Leeds in England and the lead author of the study.

“Previous estimates of global changes in permafrost were done using climate models,” Dr. Chadburn said. “Our approach is more based on using historical observations and extrapolating that to the future. It’s a very simple approach.”

Permafrost thaws slowly over time, but it is already causing problems in the Arctic, as slumping ground affects building foundations, roads and other infrastructure in places like the North Slope of Alaska, Yukon and parts of Siberia. The thawing also contributes to climate change, as warmed-up organic matter is decomposed by microbes, releasing more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Dr. Chadburn and her colleagues looked at how much permafrost would thaw if temperatures were to stabilize at a warming of 2 degrees Celsius, long a target of climate accords, or at 1.5 degrees, which the 2015 Paris agreement set as an ambitious goal.

A 2 degree increase, the researchers found, would lead to a loss of about 2.5 million square miles of permafrost compared with a 1960-90 baseline, or about 40 percent of the current total.

The study showed the advantages to be gained from limiting warming to 1.5 degrees: Thawing would be reduced by about 30 percent, or 750,000 square miles.

But the research also shows the potentially devastating consequences of missing either of those targets. Warming of 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) would leave at most about a million square miles of permafrost, or less than 20 percent of the current total.

Edward A.G. Schuur, a permafrost expert at Northern Arizona University, said the study was “an important and interesting calculation of where permafrost will be at some distant point in the future as we undergo climate warming.”

“What’s really important is this is based on totally different assumptions,” Dr. Schuur said. “It’s useful because it gives us a different perspective.”

Dr. Chadburn said her study did not delve into the details of how different permafrost areas might be affected. Dr. Schuur said that as the planet warms, more southerly regions, where the permafrost occurs in discontinuous patches, would be expected to thaw first.

But there will still be changes even in areas of extensive permafrost in the far north, Dr. Schuur said. “There will be surface changes that affect everyone who lives there,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any place in the permafrost zone that’s remote enough to escape changes.”

I like the part where they don't even mention why losing permafrost matters

call to action fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 12, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
y'know in a way I support you. assuming you die in america, your organs could go on to save 2 or 3 people and prolong their lives by decades. decades of unsustainable lifestyles and immoral levels of carbon intensity.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If guy wants to go lolbertarian or sovereign citizen on organ donation, I will gladly support the invasion of his sovereign body after death as there isn't really anyone remaining to defend it.

In other news, sea ice extent is creepily maintaining a fixed record distance below the prior minima, and I'm now wondering whether this is just deeply coincidental RNG or a very angry God telling those of us who are watching ahead of time that, yes, he will be killing us all in short order.

The link: https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepinguin/home/global-sea-ice

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 12, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
lol that call to action has vacation plans in the egyptian afterlife

good thing they don't weigh your brains

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well this thread took a weird turn.

I think the most outrageous thing about this guy is that he is arrogant enough to believe that every potential organ recipient knows who he is and that he rides a motorcycle (and mocks him for it)

Like this guy is the talk of the town and everyone on the waiting list talks about him, licking their lips every time he turns the ignition key and discussing how they'll divvy up those sweet, sweet organs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
call to action is all about two things, evangelizing the virtues of selfishness and possessing a geopolitical view of politics that begins and ends with "CLOSE BORDERS IMMEDIATELY, AMNESTY FOR ALL"

It's hard to tell which is dumber.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So someone please tell me again why I should not purposely avoid all emotional investment in people and achievements so I am fully ready to die when the time comes?

To be more precise, is there a completely reason based argument for living in a situation where things are certain to get worse?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AceOfFlames posted:

So someone please tell me again why I should not purposely avoid all emotional investment in people and achievements so I am fully ready to die when the time comes?

To be more precise, is there a completely reason based argument for living in a situation where things are certain to get worse?

Because been there, done that, and it's dumb. Enjoy your time with family and loved ones, speak of your convictions when opportunity presents itself, and if you need a reason, change your life so you can contribute to things that will benefit people 7 generations from now. Humans will (narrowly) survive this, even in a much hotter world, but our civilization won't, so make things better for those who will come after if you can.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Groper posted:

Enjoy your time with family and loved ones

Family is bossy and controlling, have no one else.

The Groper posted:

speak of your convictions when opportunity presents itself

Hardly anyone ever speaks to me.

The Groper posted:

and if you need a reason, change your life so you can contribute to things that will benefit people 7 generations from now

I don't own a car and refuse to have children. I refuse to go vegan since food is one of the few joys I have left.

The Groper posted:

Humans will (narrowly) survive this, even in a much hotter world, but our civilization won't

For me civilization IS humanity. If humanity is going to remain at a medieval tech level for the rest of its existence then might as well nuke the world right now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Hardly anyone ever speaks to me.

i think we know why

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Go post in E/N this isn't your therapy thread lol.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

enraged_camel posted:

i think we know why

The motorcycle, right?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

i think we know why

Well, I don't go around talking to people about this, hence why I complain about it so much here.

Anyone here listen to S-Town? The main character so to speak is also horribly depressed over climate change. I was hoping that podcast had a solution to that despair but of course it does not.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 12, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

call to action posted:

It's loving amazing how butthurt people get when they hear they're not getting my organs, usually from people who have very longwinded opinions about bodily autonomy. It's so bizarre to think about not getting a donation from me as "punishing the suffering", yet for some reason when you don't donate your vacation cash to help the needy, that's not "punishing the suffering".

Telling though how many people need to chime in and tell me how hard they're rolling their eyes at my decisions. Maybe if you didn't view me as merely a means to my organs your gramps wouldn't have died before they got to the top of the list.

No you didn't.

Yeah, how stupid of me to get out of a minimum wage field and not to give your mamaw my meat. So dumb, y'know.

I have never been on a vacation because I'm poor af.

Plus I imagine most of us aren't going to ask for our money to be buried with us :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 12, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
For what it's worth I'm no longer interested in getting a motorcycle and my heart is enlarged enough to probably donate to two or three people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Just kill yourself AceofFlames. You will be helping the climate and solving all your problems. Take some fossil fuel lobbyists down with you.