Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've finally got a viable game going, and I made it up to the point where I can get my first idea, and I have no idea what out of the many, many options to go for. Any advice?

For some background, I'm doing a game as Austria, and I've made my long-term goal so far to be making sure Italy stays in imperial hands, and I may have been a bit too quick to annex Venice's continental holdings. I get that there's some aggressive expansion modifier, but I have no idea where you go to look at it or figure out how to pace yourself. So far as I can tell Romagna's the last province I need to grab, and I've still got 20 years to get that done. There's been a big ol' coalition formed against me that I need to watch out for, and Bavaria seems stronger than I'd like.

Also I may have panicked a bit too much about not having a ready heir and declared a daughter to be my successor, which I eventually figured out was the reason why every elector has -1000+ opinion of me, but it turns out there's a decision I'll be able to make to rectify that eventually. It did feel briefly liberating to not have to worry about electors for a while.

Influence, hands down. It's practically mandatory for playing in the HRE, especially as Austria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Influence, hands down. It's practically mandatory for playing in the HRE, especially as Austria.

Influence is "HRE the idea", absolutely.

Have fun when that Saxon monk starts getting uppity!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
As for aggressive expansion - 50 is the soft limit - thats where coalitions start being formable. Anything below that does little except lower opinion of other people.

Re: ideas - Influence, like the others mentioned, is good for austria. For more generally good ideas, Religious is one of the best (lots of good events plus a casus belli), as well as Quantity (more manpower plus huge force limit increase) and defensive (easy 15% morale bonus in the second idea)

Re vote - is it that your heir is female?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yami Fenrir posted:

As for aggressive expansion - 50 is the soft limit - thats where coalitions start being formable. Anything below that does little except lower opinion of other people.

Re: ideas - Influence, like the others mentioned, is good for austria. For more generally good ideas, Religious is one of the best (lots of good events plus a casus belli), as well as Quantity (more manpower plus huge force limit increase) and defensive (easy 15% morale bonus in the second idea)

Re vote - is it that your heir is female?

I wouldn't take quantity as the emperor who already gets a bonus to manpower and force limit. Go for defensive or offensive off the start.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Tsyni posted:

I wouldn't take quantity as the emperor who already gets a bonus to manpower and force limit. Go for defensive or offensive off the start.

More Men = better imo.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Better men > more men, combat width and supply limits are a thing, makes handling generals easier too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quantity is subtly a double-edge sword. Beyond combat width a bigger army is really just a steady Morale booster but at the cost of money and time spent micromanaging them. And if you're not super careful then those additional regiments are diminished by additional attrition. Meanwhile Defensive just give you those bonuses directly, without micromanagement or money spent, and you can still feed men into the grinder for the morale trickle since it's common to have a force limit that is much greater than your combat width anyway.

Quantity also gives you a much higher manpower cap but battles also wind up costing you more manpower than had you taken other Idea groups. Overall you come out ahead but it feels like a lot more time, money, and micromanagement going down that road than just taking Defensive+Offensive or Quality and blitzing your opponents with space marines.

e: Defensive should be a go-to first military idea is basically what I'm saying, unless you're really small and really poor

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 12, 2017

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Offensive also has a force limit boost, if you're just getting Quantity to puff up and prevent the AI from seeing you as weak. It is usually my first idea group when I am a lesser power surrounded by bigger powers (Ceylon in India).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

The +25% manpower edict seems pretty clutch for countries that are rich. That's a huge boost. For comparison, the adviser only gives +10%
The edict is for one state while the advisor is for your whole country so I feel like those number are appropriate.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna try for Switzerlake, any quick tips?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The edict is for one state while the advisor is for your whole country so I feel like those number are appropriate.

Yeah, but it also only increases the maintenance cost of that state, too. So if you've got the funds you could hypothetically use the edict everywhere with high base manpower for massive benefits

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

QuarkJets posted:

Quantity is subtly a double-edge sword. Beyond combat width a bigger army is really just a steady Morale booster but at the cost of money and time spent micromanaging them. And if you're not super careful then those additional regiments are diminished by additional attrition.

This was a stupid argument the last time you brought it up and it's not any less stupid now. If you're finding you take noticeably more attrition because you have bigger armies (especially with early game army sizes...) then you're playing either very oddly or badly. Quantity is a great group.

That said I agree that it's not what you need as Austria, you get plenty of force limit and you get a morale tradition don't you? So stacking it with defensive makes your dudes pretty strong for a while. Plus mountains and forts and stuff is good in Austria's location.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of the biggest advantages of quantity is that you don't have to worry about attrition as much because you have so much manpower to spare.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Defensive helps with attrition and Quality/Offensive both give you better troops so you don't need to have stacks bigger than the supply limit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You don't need to have stacks bigger than supply limit with quantity either, you're allowed to make multiple stacks in this game.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Jay Rust posted:

So you can do pure Switzerlake, or go for either of the cheesier strats. For Eurolake just kinda blob like you would any other Euro game, and when you are the dominant power, client-state away all your ports. For Amerilake flee to America, and then do the above. This one is very consistent but more boring. Otherwise just be patient about HRE conquering.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

You don't need to have stacks bigger than supply limit with quantity either, you're allowed to make multiple stacks in this game.

Keeping your stacks smaller than the supply limit either involves a ton of micromanagement, or means that you have incredibly tiny stacks for most of the game.

I just say gently caress it and let thousands of men starve to death, much like in real history, and taking quantity lets me get away with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you just split a big stack in half and move it to the next province over. it's like two clicks

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

you just split a big stack in half and move it to the next province over. it's like two clicks

Yeah, that's what I always do, but I also use/build my armies really strangely though.

I can also respect someone going "gently caress it, I have the money and manpower, starve for my laziness you peasant scum!" though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
As Brandenburg (ate most of Pomerania, all of Teutonics, most of Poland and Livonians, Riga) by 1500, should I try to vassalize someone within the HRE? It seems to be popular but I don't quite get why other than Emperor votes, and the Reformation is about to fire so the title is about to become a problem rather than a bonus. Or maybe Novgorod in order to reclaim all their land from Muscovy?

And ugh, frustrating. Lost three elections for the Emperorship in a row despite having great relations and lots of votes secured, because Austrian rulers tend to always die when I'm fresh off a war and hampered by AE.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Can someone please help me out here. I'm non-reformed Mancu, not tributary, have 332 development and have been sitting besides Ming for at least 10 years and their mandate is not ticking down. What am I doing wrong?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going to do a The Navigator run and turn it into Turn the Table by only colonizing Brazil (outside of what I need for The Navigator) and once my Colonial Brazil is massive I will release and play as them. Anyone have any tips or anything?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm going to do a The Navigator run and turn it into Turn the Table by only colonizing Brazil (outside of what I need for The Navigator) and once my Colonial Brazil is massive I will release and play as them. Anyone have any tips or anything?

I'm not sure releasing and playing as someone else works in Ironman?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Qvark posted:

Can someone please help me out here. I'm non-reformed Mancu, not tributary, have 332 development and have been sitting besides Ming for at least 10 years and their mandate is not ticking down. What am I doing wrong?

Doesn't it take 15 for the crisis to fire?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Qvark posted:

If you're not at war with them, the disaster only ticks up by .5% every month. That means you need to wait 200 months for it to trigger, so about 7 more years for you.

It ticks up much faster if they're losing a war against you.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

If you're not at war with them, the disaster only ticks up by .5% every month. That means you need to wait 200 months for it to trigger, so about 7 more years for you.

It ticks up much faster if they're losing a war against you.

Mantis42 posted:

Doesn't it take 15 for the crisis to fire?

Haha, thank you. The event literally hit the second after I posted this.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I love checking out Europe when it emerges from the fog when I'm playing in an other part of the world.
I think this is the first time I've seen a Granada that isn't the result of a rebellion.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm not sure releasing and playing as someone else works in Ironman?

It absolutely does work, there's an achievement specifically for switching to your colonial nation then conquering your former overlord/original nation.

If you're not afraid to be cheap, you can deliberately gently caress up Portugal before making the switch. Lose a war, take out a bunch of loans, etc. Switch out Exploration/Expansion ideas for something else to stop or slow their colonial expansion. If you plan to stay Catholic as Brazil, be warned that the Treaty of Tordesillas still applies to you and will slow your own colonizing in much of the Americas.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I didn't even KNOW there was an Estonia tag.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Chickpea Roar posted:

I love checking out Europe when it emerges from the fog when I'm playing in an other part of the world.
I think this is the first time I've seen a Granada that isn't the result of a rebellion.

That Iberian peninsula sure is something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Qvark posted:

Haha, thank you. The event literally hit the second after I posted this.

just fyi you do NOT want to take the Mandate from Ming in your first war, you probably want to beat them up several times before doing that and create a tributary network of your own, otherwise you'll have negative Mandate gain and ruin yourself

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jay Rust posted:

Humanism is your friend, if only for the massive bonus to AE decay.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm looking for a new fun achievement to do while Ming is ultra-stable. Any suggestions? I like playing in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

This was a stupid argument the last time you brought it up and it's not any less stupid now. If you're finding you take noticeably more attrition because you have bigger armies (especially with early game army sizes...) then you're playing either very oddly or badly. Quantity is a great group.

That said I agree that it's not what you need as Austria, you get plenty of force limit and you get a morale tradition don't you? So stacking it with defensive makes your dudes pretty strong for a while. Plus mountains and forts and stuff is good in Austria's location.

Disagreeing with a position doesn't make it stupid, friend. I think it's telling that you focused on a single sentence on attrition while ignoring the rest of my post.

Quantity is better than some of the other Military groups, and it definitely is the best first choice in a number of circumstances, but its downsides are not obvious and are worth discussing

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The First Toungoo Empire. :getin:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

QuarkJets posted:

Disagreeing with a position doesn't make it stupid, friend. I think it's telling that you focused on a single sentence on attrition while ignoring the rest of my post.

Quantity is better than some of the other Military groups, and it definitely is the best first choice in a number of circumstances, but its downsides are not obvious and are worth discussing

I focused on a single sentence because I agree with the rest of what you wrote, it's just the whole "bigger stacks are actually worse" thing that's really ridiculous.

Sorry for snapping though, on second thought it was someone else that brought it up the other time. They just got mocked relentlessly for it so I was surprised to see it come up again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

I used quantity as my 2nd or 3rd mil idea in my world conquest run. That's the first time I'd taken it in hundreds of hours. Unless you're best friends with France you're going to want defensive or they will chop up your troops so fast, even if you have twice their numbers.

I don't know why I'm replying to you because you agree with me. It's too late now, hitting post.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Do you normally only play in Europe or something? There are lots of situations where quantity is really valuable. I don't normally take it as a first mil idea (although I did in my Ethiopia run and have no regrets) but if you're doing colonizing or the like where you'll be spread thin, there's not really any substitute.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

Do you normally only play in Europe or something? There are lots of situations where quantity is really valuable. I don't normally take it as a first mil idea (although I did in my Ethiopia run and have no regrets) but if you're doing colonizing or the like where you'll be spread thin, there's not really any substitute.

You seem very invested in this idea group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

I believe you. I play lots in Europe, but I still do games outside. I dunno, I'm not saying Quantity is a bad choice either. I just think most of the time defensive is the way to go. By the time I get to my second mil idea I'm often big enough that offensive makes more sense. I agree with you that there are situations where you're smaller and colonizing. Or if your neighbors don't have morale bonuses. As Ethiopia I can see it too if you fight Ottomans defensively in mountains/forts etc.

Taking Quantity first as Austria just seems like a big misstep.

Edit: my play style is to stack wipe everyone and be aggressive offensively. Maybe playing defensively with Quantity is good? If I need to go over my force limit to face someone it's just a matter of gold though...

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread