Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CLAM DOWN posted:

I went through 3 on my N5.

This is what makes me super hesitant about the process. The situation could definitely be far worse, but I'm getting flashbacks to when I had a HTC Mogul Windows Mobile phone and a Sidekick 2 and Sidekick 3.

But yeah I'm being an antsy little poo poo about this and I admittedly have very little patience. I'm begrudgingly factory resetting my phone now and will take the advice of the thread and just go through the motions. There's no way around it, I'm just disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The HTC Mogul was an amazing device right up until the USB port broke.

And after thinking about it, yes Google are more likely to send you a new device while the phone is still "new" than a refurb. The refurbs usually are stored up for the later warranty stuff when the device is out of production, or are replaced through the other 3rd party RMA services if you have the extended warranty.

Hell even their refurbs can be pretty good compared to some I have gotten through other services.

Outside of that, troubleshooting steps are there for a reason because sometimes they actually fix the problem. If you are too impatient to do them before trying to pawn off your problem to somebody else, I will gladly take your Pixel XL off your hands for $300.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Outside of that, troubleshooting steps are there for a reason because sometimes they actually fix the problem. If you are too impatient to do them before trying to pawn off your problem to somebody else, I will gladly take your Pixel XL off your hands for $300.

I'll offer $250. It's a hell of a deal.

For you.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dhamster posted:

been having an issue with the audio in my moto g4. For the last day or so, I haven't really been hearing any audio at all until I reboot into safe mode. is there any way I can pinpoint what's muting my phone?

Well, I tried a few things, including a factory data reset from the 'settings' menu, and I can't quite get a handle on what's happening. Sometimes the phone will boot up and play the 'hello moto' thing out of the speakers, and I'll hear some stuff out of the speakers or earpiece, but a minute later it'll all be completely silent again. I tried doing the factory reset in the boot menu, but all I got was a 'no command' error, with the Android mascot lying on his back.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Anyone else got a G5+ update today? Don't even know what it is about. The changelog was vague.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My pixel has decided it doesn't want to connect to any wifi that's 2.4ghz. 5ghz is fine, but 2.4 is right the gently caress out

Factory reset did nothing, resetting all my network poo poo did nothing (unsurprising since nothing else was having problems), so Verizon is overnighting me a new one. Again.

I love this phone but the dumbest things happen with it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Anyone else got a G5+ update today? Don't even know what it is about. The changelog was vague.

Possibly security updates but vague changelogs are common with moto updates

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My pixel has decided it doesn't want to connect to any wifi that's 2.4ghz. 5ghz is fine, but 2.4 is right the gently caress out

Factory reset did nothing, resetting all my network poo poo did nothing (unsurprising since nothing else was having problems), so Verizon is overnighting me a new one. Again.

I love this phone but the dumbest things happen with it

You didn't accidentally set it to only connect to 5ghz only did you?

That would keep it from working after a hard reset if you Restored your phone from a Google backup which would restore that setting as well.

Edit: Looking around that may not be an actual option (confused it with the WiFi Hotspot ability).

Unless it is on Pixel and not my Nexus. Hmm..

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Interesting...I thought that I should have received an update on my 6P recently, so I went to the System Update screen and it said it last checked for an update at 6:55 (ten minutes previous). I clicked the Check Now button anyway and what do you know, there's an update. So is Android just pretending to check for updates in the background?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EdEddnEddy posted:

You didn't accidentally set it to only connect to 5ghz only did you?

That would keep it from working after a hard reset if you Restored your phone from a Google backup which would restore that setting as well.

Edit: Looking around that may not be an actual option (confused it with the WiFi Hotspot ability).

Unless it is on Pixel and not my Nexus. Hmm..

I don't even know where I'd find that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Interesting...I thought that I should have received an update on my 6P recently, so I went to the System Update screen and it said it last checked for an update at 6:55 (ten minutes previous). I clicked the Check Now button anyway and what do you know, there's an update. So is Android just pretending to check for updates in the background?

I think it tries to automatically install updates when it's charging

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Your post made me want to check, and basically the same thing; last checked 8:24 AM, system up to date. Then it decided that no, actually you have an update! Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to turn off LTE on an AT&T Galaxy S7 running Nougat? My work has femtocells installed, but they're not LTE, so my work phone tries to grab the weak-rear end LTE signal from outside instead of the great HSPA(+?) one coming from inside the building. I can go into the diagnostics menu accessible through dialing a special code, but that setting doesn't stick. I've tried Googling but everything that I've found references what seems to be an older version of Android since I don't have the options mentioned.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hooah posted:

Is there any way to turn off LTE on an AT&T Galaxy S7 running Nougat? My work has femtocells installed, but they're not LTE, so my work phone tries to grab the weak-rear end LTE signal from outside instead of the great HSPA(+?) one coming from inside the building. I can go into the diagnostics menu accessible through dialing a special code, but that setting doesn't stick. I've tried Googling but everything that I've found references what seems to be an older version of Android since I don't have the options mentioned.

Under settings -> More -> Mobile Network -> Preferred network type Select: WCDMA/GSM auto instead of LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto would be my guess. This is on my huawei but it's also running 7.0.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Further, I'm trying to talk to this goober retard from Google about my issue and he suggested keeping my phone in Safe Mode while driving. Are you loving mental? I told him I can't do that and need to exchange the device and was just told that I need to factory restore it (fair suggestion that echoes ones in this thread) but very quickly moved away from the idea of an exchange.

If you're driving while you dial into a call center for tech support you may actually be the goober retard.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I hate you shooga

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mental Hospitality posted:

Under settings -> More -> Mobile Network -> Preferred network type Select: WCDMA/GSM auto instead of LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto would be my guess. This is on my huawei but it's also running 7.0.

Yeah, that's where it should be, but Samsung in their infinite stupidity have Connections -> Mobile networks -> then a choice of

• Mobile data
  • Enhanced LTE Services
  • International Data Roaming
  • Access Point Names
  • Network operators

(Yes, that's their mixed capitalization.) I guess I'll have to deal with APNs?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

El Mido posted:

If you're driving while you dial into a call center for tech support you may actually be the goober retard.

Lack of context. I told him that the phone locked up once while driving and connected to Android Auto. He mentioned that I should put the phone in Safe Mode while driving. Wtf kind of suggestion is that?

Blue Train posted:

I hate you shooga

let's kiss

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hooah posted:

Yeah, that's where it should be, but Samsung in their infinite stupidity...

Wow. Samsung'd.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FAUXTON posted:

I think of it as loading effort into an ultimately futile enterprise since he'll get caught. Some of the stuff he was asking about earlier was some real shaggy dog poo poo so I just assumed he was loving with people.

👆☝️👆☝️👆👆☝️☝️👆

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Humerus posted:

Your post made me want to check, and basically the same thing; last checked 8:24 AM, system up to date. Then it decided that no, actually you have an update! Thanks.

Exact same for me. It claimed it had checked very recently, I manually checked, and suddenly there's my update. Pixel XL, if it matters.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Same thing just happened in my 5x. It seems like they may have changed the functionality of manually checking for updates.

I wonder if it causes you to have priority rather than just waiting until your phone is scheduled to have it deployed. That would make sense. Cut down on the "when am I getting this update" chatter while still allowing for a staggered rollout to the vast majority of people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I manually checked and got nothing because I was already (via automatic check) on the latest. I win (lose?).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting. Non-verizon Pixel (but on Verizon network) and already on 7.1.2, but I just received a small 15mb patch to take me to the NHG47K build.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lack of context. I told him that the phone locked up once while driving and connected to Android Auto. He mentioned that I should put the phone in Safe Mode while driving. Wtf kind of suggestion is that?

Safe Mode is near the last step before they go to exchange device "if" it doesn't fix the issue. (it just disables all 3rd party apps and settings to test and see if it is one of them causing it).

It's actually a pretty good little troubleshooting step, similar to Windows Safe Mode.

However you giving up and bitching about it is like getting to the last 100ft in a 1000ft sprint, by yourself, and giving up because there is a hurdle in your way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

7.1.2 Bluetooth update (both variants).

Still poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Galaxy S8 battery test has been posted. 8 hours 4 minutes. The phone is set at max resolution, max brightness, and playing YouTube videos the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3g8K5Sg6w

It's in Japanese but if you want to go to the end and see some numbers you can.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Still poo poo.

This Pixel works so shitly with my new Pebble. Such a bummer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Galaxy S8 battery test has been posted. 8 hours 4 minutes. The phone is set at max resolution, max brightness, and playing YouTube videos the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3g8K5Sg6w

It's in Japanese but if you want to go to the end and see some numbers you can.

Jesus that's impressive

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Still poo poo.

Have you considered your Pixel might just be broken? I use mine with about 4 different devices and it's flawless on all of them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cage-free egghead posted:

This Pixel works so shitly with my new Pebble. Such a bummer.

Google'd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

..btt posted:

Have you considered your Pixel might just be broken? I use mine with about 4 different devices and it's flawless on all of them.

I've had the same issues with all Nexus devices, so I doubt it's a hardware problem.

I'm also not alone and Google's response had been "we're fixing it."

It's environmental. I drop in my car at the same point in my routes every single day. It has something to do with either cell handoff or WiFi interference.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Have you tried fastballing your Pixel against a wall?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's amazing is I can complete a 4 hour highway drive and not drop once.

25 minute drive home? 4 times, all in the same spots.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That is strange.

bull3964 posted:

It's environmental. I drop in my car at the same point in my routes every single day. It has something to do with either cell handoff or WiFi interference.

This being the case it seems unlikely software can fix it. I guess it's a possibility.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just got two updates in a row on my N6P in the beta program, first was 25mb and took it up to 5th April patch level, the second is 1.3GB

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I've had the same issues with all Nexus devices, so I doubt it's a hardware problem.

I'm also not alone and Google's response had been "we're fixing it."

You should file an FCC complaint if they let people report sources of prohibited interference. I know they got on the case of that rear end in a top hat with the cellphone jammer in his car but people were dropping calls along the same stretch of highway with statistically significant regularity and the carriers ended up reporting it but I'm not sure if the FCC is dumb enough to just take reports from any old rear end in a top hat on the internet.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

dissss posted:

Just got two updates in a row on my N6P in the beta program, first was 25mb and took it up to 5th April patch level, the second is 1.3GB

The 25mb patch takes you to stable 7.1.2 (N2G47H) and the 1.3gb update puts you back on beta (NPG47I).

Once you get the stable update, opt out of the beta for now.

Make sure you are on N2G47H before you opt out, otherwise it will wipe your device.

nimper fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just had the same on my 5x

The new beta update appeared in the time it took me to unenroll after the stable ota was installed, but it disappeared a few minutes later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Anyone else use Android Auto? I tried like 10 times to send a text to someone using voice and here's how it panned out:

Me: "Send a text to Rebecca"

Auto: "Ok, what's the message?"

Me: "blablabla"

Auto: "Ok, here's your text to Rebecca 'what's the message blablabla' do you want to send it or change it?"

Me: "Change it"

And it just went on like this until I gave up. For the record, I'm chatting with a Google cyborg support thing now to ask again for an exchange.