Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I gave it to my chief and said "OK bye"

A year later I got a letter congratulating me on completing my time in the reserves.

You can do 6 months without drilling with no repercussions. It doesn't take 6 months to route a chit if you already have talked to your CO to make sure it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
my esams training is 2 months overdue, but im not giving a gently caress with terminal coming up. Also not doing the spring prt. The navy isn't so bad when you're getting out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

my esams training is 2 months overdue, but im not giving a gently caress with terminal coming up. Also not doing the spring prt. The navy isn't so bad when you're getting out.

Unless you're made to buy a grand worth of tshirts.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I can't imagine doing anything except laughing if someone asked me to put Navy related expenses on my personal credit card.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless you're made to buy a grand worth of tshirts.

You should take a cue from our current dear leader and just send that guy hate mail every week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

I can't imagine doing anything except laughing if someone asked me to put Navy related expenses on my personal credit card.

It was either pay or they were going to dock my pay. I got hung out to dry by an O3 and O6 because one was a useless waste of space on her way out and the other was still trying for a star. Those tshirts cost me a G. They cost him his flag in the long run.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Now that's a story I don't remember. How would they have legally docked your pay?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Now that's a story I don't remember. How would they have legally docked your pay?

It's hosed up, but if I was a terminal JO with chronic ball pain I'd probably have paid as well just to get it over with and get medsepped.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Did they ever figure out why your nuts hurt so bad Mr. Nice? They fix that poo poo or are you just living with ball pain?

Sorry for once calling your condition Cerebral Ballsy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Sorry for once calling your condition Cerebral Ballsy.

Don't lie, you were proud of that pun.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Oh the joke is good, but I like Mr. Nice so I feel bad clowning on legit medical issues.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

They cost him his flag in the long run.

I don't remember this part.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Was that Captain Goat On Boat?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Was that Captain Goat On Boat?

No he was an enlisted CO of mine.

Godholio posted:

I don't remember this part.

The t-shirt fiasco happened right before a command climate survey. I was deliberately not included on the survey and a large number of the people on staff called out the situation on said survey. The opinion from the type commander supply people was the O6 should have just swiped his card for his shirts instead of foisting the cost on me. These were his custom designed command t-shirts, and although I'm not sure if the O6 got his, one of the ones ordered was sized for him and supposed to go to him.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh the joke is good, but I like Mr. Nice so I feel bad clowning on legit medical issues.

I never took it to heart and enjoyed it. In truth, it was never an issue with my balls, but just I feel like I ripped open an inguinal hernia all the time (still). It's never really gotten better. If I have to take a bunch of stairs and poo poo like I'm on a ship again I'm toast after a few flights. Weed helps immensely.

The general gist of the problem is a bunch of scar tissue around a wire mesh from a hernia repair has nerves that were formerly in the spot where the mesh is at. Scar tissue with nerve in it is stretched, so nerve thinks ripped. At this point the scar tissue could be cleared up with no new damage, but the neural pathway is built. Docs told me after getting out if the surgeon I consulted with while I was still active had gone in, it might have been repairable. The Army docs at the hospital didn't want to do anything, though, so I'm stuck with it now.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, gently caress the navy. btw, if they stop loss me im coming for you fuckers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

yeah, gently caress the navy. btw, if they stop loss me im coming for you fuckers.

Shoulda got out when you could, best time to exit is between wars :q:

It's been 247 days since I got out of the navy, still feels good.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

Officers club right outside the base is an alright strip club from what the ships crew tells me.

They're probably wrong.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Howard Phillips posted:

St John's town center and southside blvd has a lot of good restaurants.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Jackrabbits has OK shows and is a nice intimate venue. Got my freedom DUI there.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

Shoulda got out when you could, best time to exit is between wars :q:

It's been 247 days since I got out of the navy, still feels good.

I really should have a hell tracker that shows me the time since I've been out.

5 and a half years, and the Lincoln is still in RCOH. Lol.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Wasabi is a really cheap and pretty good sushi place, Simply Thai a couple of miles outside of base is a really great Thai place in a strip mall, so you wouldnt expect it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I really should have a hell tracker that shows me the time since I've been out.

5 and a half years, and the Lincoln is still in RCOH. Lol.

How much worse do you imagine it sucks now as compared to when it went in? I remember when the Lincoln went into RCOH, it was pulled up to the pier next to us prior to it going into the yards. It looked like a rusty piece of poo poo for the entire loving year it sat pierside while its RCOH schedule was in the air.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 12, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

How much worse do you imagine it sucks now as compared to when it went in? I remember when the Lincoln went into RCOH, it was pulled up to the pier next to us prior to it going into the yards. It looked like a rusty piece of poo poo for the entire loving year it sat pierside while its RCOH schedule was in the air.

I tried to warn everyone I know to try to get off before it got over there using whatever means................it didn't sound like a great situation.

The crew ate back to back deployments and a home port change, the round the world deployment was extended twice, and then they got to Norfolk and everything was in limbo, and I can only imagine how shittily that got spun on board.

I know I wouldn't have handled that well but *shrugs*

So to answer your question, I'm guessing some corners were cut and its going to be broken all the time if/when it becomes operational again.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Are you going to have a car and how far are you willing to drive?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Haven't done a coast to coast pcs somehow in my entire career. Waiting on orders. How long can I expect the hhg shipment to take? The only numbers I can find are for oconus moves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My moves have ranged from a week to about 6. And in that 6 week PCS my poo poo was in seven shipping crates, six of which arrived. The seventh, which contained one of the legs to my desk and 1/3 of my couch, showed up almost 3 weeks later.

Edit: I'm a big fan of partial DITY. Take everything that matters or that you don't want to vanish. I've had a lot of poo poo vanish or get smashed over the years. Guns, computers, papers and enough clothes to get by all come with me in the car.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I took on the CFL role in my reserve unit (171 people). How hosed am I?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Depends on if you are ok with taping and touching fatties.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Have you read the 6110.1? If so, that puts you ahead of like half the CFLs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Partially and it is a thing which I have on my to do list, yes. To be fair, I wont administer a PFA for 6 mos. The current PFA is run by the NOSC after the last CFL and staff shadily changed some numbers.

It doesnt sound too hard and it was a CO personal request. I'm just leary of what I don't know about it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 12, 2017

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Boon posted:

Partially and it is a thing which I have on my to do list, yes. To be fair, I wont administer a PFA for 6 mos. The current PFA is run by the NOSC after the last CFL and staff shadily changed some numbers.

It doesnt sound too hard and it was a CO personal request. I'm just leary of what I don't know about it.

Depending on how much of a headache it is to get TAD to it do the official CFL course. A lot of CFL and ACFL's, as mentioned earlier, haven't read the instruction and don't know what they are doing. Like, at all. Learn the instruction and get assistants to help you out, I think like one per 25 sailors is the ratio but I could be wrong, and this is based off running FEP, you may not ever need to do that though.

I loving hate it, but I never volunteered for it and want to watch people fail if they can't work out on their own. A lot of folks really enjoy it. It is basically what you make of it, the admin part is very by the numbers and as long as you follow the instruction to the letter you are good when Fatty McGee says you taped their obese rear end wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Get the course, they have it at every navy base so you can do what I did and take a week in san diego because "it fits my civilian schedule best.'

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I have a 30% VA disability but the nearest VA hospitals are an hour away. I'm currently between jobs and don't have my employer's health coverage anymore. If I have to go to the ER, or see a local doctor sooner than I can get an appointment at the VA hospital, is that going to be completely out-of-pocket?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

hogmartin posted:

I have a 30% VA disability but the nearest VA hospitals are an hour away. I'm currently between jobs and don't have my employer's health coverage anymore. If I have to go to the ER, or see a local doctor sooner than I can get an appointment at the VA hospital, is that going to be completely out-of-pocket?

I believe so.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
if its an emergency visit then no, I don't believe so. Otherwise you can apply to get a local appointment IF you are actually outside of some distance that typically falls around 100 miles, I believe. Call your closest VA appointment scheduler and ask em about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hogmartin posted:

Is there any type of VA clinic nearby? Like one closer than 40 miles away? If so, that's who you need to use for any PCM related issues. Any legitimate emergency, so long as you're properly enrolled in VA healthcare, should be covered at an ER. I've had to make an ER trip before. Gave them my VA information and had to call a regional office number for the VA to report it.

If you are further than 40 miles from ANY VA clinic or hospital, then you have full VA Choice eligibility and should get rocking on that. It's basically a local insurance program if there isn't a VA facility nearby.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

I took on the CFL role in my reserve unit (171 people). How hosed am I?

I did an ACFL gig for a bit at USS 2 Commands Ago.

As long as the fatties at least tried to struggle for a sit-up without taking their hands off their shirt, I really didn't care

We work a desk job. I didn't give a gently caress. I'd rather test your words per minute on a keyboard.

I loving love being buff and studly. I tried to convince all the fatties to enjoy it as well. I'm not in the game of forcing someone to work out against their will because it doesn't end well that way for anyone.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Boon posted:

dude you're an O-3

CFL is beneath you get a grown up collateral

personal request? shoulda told that nigga no, because he was punking you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, if he's a primarily O shore command, like say a NROTC or something similar, he might be the junior guy on the totem pole and it's his job to deal with it.

Not every command has a bevy of senior enlisted that can just be tasked with CFL or other such poo poo.