Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

rangi posted:

So I finally got a second hand Vive Pre, and one of the lighthouses seems to be faulty. I tried just connecting it by itself in 'A' mode and while it would show up green in SteamVR, the headset would not track. I went through all the instructions I could find to fix, and eventually found this error in the log.

Tue Apr 11 2017 17:41:21.000 - lighthouse: Base 3E6E5811 axis 0 appears to have failed

It also seems that the laser below the main group is not showing on the nonfunctional lighthouse. Anyone else had this happen?
Not me personally, but it's a thing that happens to people on rare occasion. I've never heard of someone fixing it. You can buy a new base station from HTC for $135 in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Don't suppose anyone's tried Metro 2033 with VorpX? I was recommended the game & started it a few days ago, but it actually feels kind of weird playing an fps in non-vr now, turning the 2D view with a control stick really messes with my brain which is pretty crazy. I can get through it as is but figure it might be more fun if the VorpX implementation isn't too bad.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

rangi posted:

So I finally got a second hand Vive Pre, and one of the lighthouses seems to be faulty. I tried just connecting it by itself in 'A' mode and while it would show up green in SteamVR, the headset would not track. I went through all the instructions I could find to fix, and eventually found this error in the log.

Tue Apr 11 2017 17:41:21.000 - lighthouse: Base 3E6E5811 axis 0 appears to have failed

It also seems that the laser below the main group is not showing on the nonfunctional lighthouse. Anyone else had this happen?

Isn't A the sync-cable slave?

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
A guide I found suggested only connecting the lighthouse you suspect to be faulty , SteamVR suggests running it in 'A' mode if you are only using one lighthouse. I tried it in every mode, cable-synced with the other and wireless.

The seller seems to be a good bloke so I'm hoping it'll work out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The black headcrabs were bad enough for me... gently caress the idea of having one lunge at me in VR. Nope.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Falken posted:

The black headcrabs were bad enough for me... gently caress the idea of having one lunge at me in VR. Nope.

Hey, you know what's even better than a headcrab?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=777238222

In other news, the Revive devs released a Vive mod for RoboRecall:
https://github.com/LibreVR/RoboRevive

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So yesterday I excitedly ordered my Vive and various upgrades for my PC (Including a 1080 ti!) and I've been waiting eagerly for it to come today!

DPD lost it :eng99: but managed to deliver everything else including the stands that I ordered with it. How the gently caress do they do that?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

For reasons unknown my second day playing serious sam VR was a lot more intense than my first. Just like, the giant gorilla eyeball men tended to startle me when they got too close or snuck up behind me. I had to stop after a few minutes just because I was a little too jumpy.

the giant oumpkin head chainsaw dudes really freak me out when they pop up behind

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
silly question, but are there any good meditation or ptsd-treatment vr apps available for the public or are they all research still?

there was a terrorist attack right outside my office on friday in stockholm and i've been feeling very uneasy about the whole thing

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zsinjeh posted:

silly question, but are there any good meditation or ptsd-treatment vr apps available for the public or are they all research still?

there was a terrorist attack right outside my office on friday in stockholm and i've been feeling very uneasy about the whole thing

Yes I believe there are a few on SteamVR at least although I've never tried any. Be healthy friend, sorry to hear that.

I assume you're talking rift/vive? I believe there are many on GearVR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rangi posted:

A guide I found suggested only connecting the lighthouse you suspect to be faulty , SteamVR suggests running it in 'A' mode if you are only using one lighthouse. I tried it in every mode, cable-synced with the other and wireless.

The seller seems to be a good bloke so I'm hoping it'll work out.

Yeah sounds like you have one bad lighthouse. If you want you should be able to run with just the other lighthouse (obviously with occlusion limitations), but you should try to work out something with the seller due to you being out an unexpected $135. Also I'd look around a bit you might be able to find lighthouses for less than $135 since a few devs end up buying extra Vives but don't need the extra lighthouses.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Yes I believe there are a few on SteamVR at least although I've never tried any. Be healthy friend, sorry to hear that.

I assume you're talking rift/vive? I believe there are many on GearVR.
yeah, thinking Vive mainly. Though I have a Gear VR too that I haven't used in a while, know any good ones personally? Otherwise i'll check reviews
e: thank you

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zsinjeh posted:

yeah, thinking Vive mainly. Though I have a Gear VR too that I haven't used in a while, know any good ones personally? Otherwise i'll check reviews
e: thank you

Check out Relax VR, free on Gear. The beach scene, some headphones, a space heater, and I was kind of able to pretend I was back on a warm coast instead of holed up for a cold winter. It has some guided meditation/relaxation audio you can toggle on too. Hey and good luck shaking things off, hope it helps.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Check out Relax VR, free on Gear. The beach scene, some headphones, a space heater, and I was kind of able to pretend I was back on a warm coast instead of holed up for a cold winter. It has some guided meditation/relaxation audio you can toggle on too. Hey and good luck shaking things off, hope it helps.
that sounds great, cheers.
did some tilt brush to a podcast too, pretty nice

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Medium is super rad to relax to. Throw on some music or a podcast and it'll play through an in world speaker that you can move around.

Not VR, but apparently playing Tetris works for lessening PTSD and flashbacks:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tetris-shown-to-lessen-ptsd-and-flashbacks/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Good news for Oculus users who have tried/want to use V. The latest Dev builds are shaping up to be amazing with both a new interface layout, better Touch support, and some Magic optimizations that have reduced the impact of V running to next to Nill (Really now it doesn't seem to hit the FPS in Elite like it was doing plenty before). The Browser Res has been increased (while still not 16:9, fully reshapable window is coming soon) and a lot of other tweaks and fixes have been done. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. Overall it is really shaping up to be a very polished release.

I'll let you guys know as soon as it goes public.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Man, I am still really digging BLARP! and Warka Flarka Flim Flam. Pathetic high scores of 18 and 12 respectively.

Thanks to this thread for the Quell 4D recommend, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Man Dancer posted:

Warka Flarka Flim Flam.
no way, you're making this poo poo up

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
No small part of my delight over that designer's games is that most of them sound like fake game titles one's unfunny uncle would invent to make fun of you for playing VR.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Man Dancer posted:

No small part of my delight over that designer's games is that most of them sound like fake game titles one's unfunny uncle would invent to make fun of you for playing VR.

Unemployed people playing job simulator would have been a hit with uncle.

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN

Stick100 posted:

Yeah sounds like you have one bad lighthouse. If you want you should be able to run with just the other lighthouse (obviously with occlusion limitations), but you should try to work out something with the seller due to you being out an unexpected $135. Also I'd look around a bit you might be able to find lighthouses for less than $135 since a few devs end up buying extra Vives but don't need the extra lighthouses.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out. I've been impressed at how well it works with just the one lighthouse. As long as I don't look directly away it works fine.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

You could try http://soundselfgame.com/ - it can be used either in VR or on your monitor / 3d glasses etc. The website doesn't say but the latest beta supports revive, with proper vive support coming, if that's of use.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rangi posted:

Thanks I'll keep an eye out. I've been impressed at how well it works with just the one lighthouse. As long as I don't look directly away it works fine.

Also keep in mind once the next gen of hardware (LG devkits) start getting out there, there will likely be tons of extra light houses floating around. If you're in a major city I'd look for a VR meetup and ask on the mailing list if someone has an extra one they'll sell you for $50.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I got my Vive finally!

Just wondering how to set supersampling on steamVR? It's meant to be in the developer settings but I don't see it there. Is there something I need to enable before I can change it?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TescoBag posted:

I got my Vive finally!

Just wondering how to set supersampling on steamVR? It's meant to be in the developer settings but I don't see it there. Is there something I need to enable before I can change it?

Get the Advanced OpenVR Settings steam plugin, its in there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TescoBag posted:

I got my Vive finally!

I believe its in the SteamVR beta

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

homeless snail posted:

I believe its in the SteamVR beta

I've opted into the beta but I'm not seeing it there.

EDIT: Solved, it said it was beta but actually wasn't!

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 12, 2017

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Oculus just released a big update to medium which adds a lot of the requested features like 2D reference images.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I bought audioshield because it was recommended a lot, but sadly my fears have been confirmed, as a lot of reviews were right about it being pretty offbeat. It's really annoying to try and stay with the beat and then gently caress up the targets because you are moving to the beat :/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a preferred headset for racing sims/stationary type games ?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jonathan posted:

Rift. You can buy it without the motion tracked Touch controllers, making it $500 (instead of $800 for the Vive). The display density is also higher, letting you see more detail in far objects.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jonathan posted:

The headsets are pretty much identical for those purposes, so you could save a decent chunk of money buying a Rift sans Touches if you think you will never want hand controllers (although that would be a bit short sighted imo).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jonathan posted:

Rift by a long shot, much cheaper, way more comfortable, comes with a controller, built in audio, better display. Also importantly a company that actually supports the product after selling it to you.

Arguably releases on the Rift store are higher quality than releases using SteamVR due to built in ASW. That said since Oculus can't get off their butt and guarantee compatibility through Revive/something official it's still a strong suggestion to consider getting them on Steam.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Stick100 posted:

Rift by a long shot, much cheaper, way more comfortable, comes with a controller, built in audio, better display. Also importantly a company that actually supports the product after selling it to you.

Arguably releases on the Rift store are higher quality than releases using SteamVR due to built in ASW. That said since Oculus can't get off their butt and guarantee compatibility through Revive/something official it's still a strong suggestion to consider getting them on Steam.

I feel like this post is heavily biased, even though I'd generally agree in some sense.
FIrst of all, it doesn't come with a controller more than the Vive, unless you really wanna count the remote thing. The Vive also has audio built in. Dunno what you are on about support either.

But yeah, since you don't need to get another camera or touch for stationary games the price difference is a huge plus.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It comes with an Xbox One controller

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I feel like this post is heavily biased, even though I'd generally agree in some sense.
FIrst of all, it doesn't come with a controller more than the Vive, unless you really wanna count the remote thing. The Vive also has audio built in. Dunno what you are on about support either.

But yeah, since you don't need to get another camera or touch for stationary games the price difference is a huge plus.

It comes with an Xbox one controller and wireless adapter, plus the single button remote thing. It also has headphones right on the headset that aren't ear buds, so you don't have to share ear wax with people, just facial grease.

Honestly don't think it's worth skipping the touch controllers for the extra $100, unless you lack a 3rd USB 3.0 and are sure you'll never want to try anything outside of a sim.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Don't skip VR controllers, real roomscale games are the killer app for VR. Incidentally, the Vive is substantially better at those.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With the price drop, the Rift is arguably a better deal than the Vive, being 200 dollars cheaper. Not to mention that you have to spend another 100 dollars on the Vive to get a comparable headstrap with integrated audio that isn't even out yet. The only downside for the Rift is the questionable parent company and a worse tracking solution.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, the USB 3.0s are a major issue that make the Vive imho superior. I'm out of USB ports even with the Vive, and I only have 2 that are 3.0s. I'd need another two USB hubs if I wanted to do Rift + simulators due to peripherals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I just bought an Oculus Rift and set it up yesterday.

This morning I ordered the Touch controllers from Amazon it impressed me so much.

My decision to get the Rift was based on the modular option, lower price, perceived higher quality, and accumulated impression that it is the more comfortable headset.

I have zero regrets, other than that probably next month they'll come out with a newer model with higher resolution display.

But that's the same opportunity cost for any gadget nowadays.