Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige, meet the closest thing you have to a grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Welcome to the team, Paige! :ussr:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Elizabeth's eyeroll after the psychiatrist visit was great, as was Phillip's surprise that he didn't ask about her dreams.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

"And he's leaving in like, two days, so don't get too attached. Hope that doesn't depress you more."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 12, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised Mischa went back to :ussr:

DarklyDreaming posted:

Gabriel :(

Yes Phillip, your dad was a guard at a prison camp. And he probably looted things from the dead prisoners and brought them home for you. Hope you enjoyed those shoes as a kid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it was cool that in an episode where everyone was worried about how Phillip is doing, the character cracking up the most was Elizabeth.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was the paper Oleg burned? It was something the CIA gave him but i never knew what it was

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think it was the map/info sheet for meetings.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronash posted:

Elizabeth's eyeroll after the psychiatrist visit was great, as was Phillip's surprise that he didn't ask about her dreams.

I live for Elizabeth's subtle eyerolls throughout the series

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Perhaps Paige "What was it like living there?" Jennings, is going on a roadtrip with grandpa Gabriel and learn how to be a good pioneer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Holy poo poo the central conflict of like a whole season was just resolved and one side won.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

So the CIA kept no-showing because of Stan's leverage, and now Oleg decided he's done waiting on them and burnt the evidence. Right? I wasn't sure what to make of that scene.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

So the CIA kept no-showing because of Stan's leverage, and now Oleg decided he's done waiting on them and burnt the evidence. Right? I wasn't sure what to make of that scene.

That's pretty much it. He correctly read the situation, while witnessing the imprisoned businessman and his poo bucket spurred him on to destroy the evidence in case he also ended up with a poo bucket.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is Gabriel at the Lincoln memorial supposed to suggest hes going to defect?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Well I'm pretty surprised Mischa just trotted back off to :ussr: and is even getting his old job back (whatever that was). Especially with all the build-up and sneaking out of the country and the Soviet Bloc (Maybe the creators just wanted to put a spotlight on the difficulties of leaving.) I don't think we've heard the last of the situation, but it's an interesting choice.

If Gabriel leaving means Gabriel off the show, then I'm going to be sad to see him go. Frank Langella is a fantastic actor, and to think that we may have never seen him on the show if earlier on Margo Martindale hadn't gotten another acting commitment. As it stands now, she's been in half the episodes this season, and the other show she is on--Sneakey Pete (which is good ya'll)--has a smaller episode order than The Millers did and is also produced by Graham Yost. Therefore probably easier to be on both.

I'm guessing the files they need from the psychiatrist will become something bigger like how most assignments start small on The Americans. Who the files are about might be the big surprise.

It's amazing how even if you don't know a particular Peter Gabriel song, as soon as one starts you're like "Yep, that's Peter Gabriel!"

I've heard of that trick with heating up a key, but I don't think I've ever seen it in any visual media.

Sepinwall had this in his review and I had never thought of it before and think it's really funny:
"Call me crazy (because I am), but Stan and Henry talking about girls has the same kind of tension that Walter White and Jesse Pinkman talking about Jane once did: I keep waiting for the secret about Henry and the Sandra Beeman photo to come out, and at the worst possible moment."

banned from Starbucks posted:

I don't think so, I think he was just contemplating leaving and wanted one last look. Really the only reason he's even leaving is he doesn't want to have to lie by omission to Phillip's face every time he sees him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know why, but some of the shots at the Lincoln Memorial looked really badly green screened to me.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Well I'm pretty surprised Mischa just trotted back off to :ussr: and is even getting his old job back (whatever that was). Especially with all the build-up and sneaking out of the country and the Soviet Bloc (Maybe the creators just wanted to put a spotlight on the difficulties of leaving.) I don't think we've heard the last of the situation, but it's an interesting choice.

If Gabriel leaving means Gabriel off the show, then I'm going to be sad to see him go. Frank Langella is a fantastic actor, and to think that we may have never seen him on the show if earlier on Margo Martindale hadn't gotten another acting commitment. As it stands now, she's been in half the episodes this season, and the other show she is on--Sneakey Pete (which is good ya'll)--has a smaller episode order than The Millers did and is also produced by Graham Yost. Therefore probably easier to be on both.

I'm guessing the files they need from the psychiatrist will become something bigger like how most assignments start small on The Americans. Who the files are about might be the big surprise.

It's amazing how even if you don't know a particular Peter Gabriel song, as soon as one starts you're like "Yep, that's Peter Gabriel!"

I've heard of that trick with heating up a key, but I don't think I've ever seen it in any visual media.

Sepinwall had this in his review and I had never thought of it before and think it's really funny:
"Call me crazy (because I am), but Stan and Henry talking about girls has the same kind of tension that Walter White and Jesse Pinkman talking about Jane once did: I keep waiting for the secret about Henry and the Sandra Beeman photo to come out, and at the worst possible moment."

I don't think so, I think he was just contemplating leaving and wanted one last look. Really the only reason he's even leaving is he doesn't want to have to lie by omission to Phillip's face every time he sees him.

What's the story with the Sandra Beeman photo?

Also, who is Regan?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm surprised Mischa went back to :ussr:

Yeah, that was a super long buildup to a super bleak ending. Dude went through all that only to end up back in the country he most definitely wanted to leave. I bet it comes up at some point that he was here and Gabriel knowingly kept him away from Phillip, and that will just drive Phillip further away from the cause.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think there was an earlier episode this season where Gabriel expressed admiration for "their Lincoln." I'm nowhere near a poli-sci expert but Lincoln was a lot of things for a lot of people. Just browsing over some general subject matter and the guy was both the advocate of the common and a symbol for people oppressed by the communist regime.

The defecting thing is interesting, but for Gabriel to turn like that would be so very odd since nothing has ever indicated he was anything but a patriot.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 12, 2017

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

hatelull posted:

I think there was an earlier episode this season where Gabriel expressed admiration for "their Lincoln." I'm nowhere near a poli-sci expert but Lincoln was a lot of things for a lot of people. Just browsing over some general subject matter and the guy was both the advocate of the common and a symbol for people oppressed by the communist regime.

And Lincoln and Marx corresponded a few times when he was president

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, who is Regan?

Henry had a photo of Mrs. Beeman in a bikini a few seasons back, which Paige called him out on

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

howe_sam posted:

I don't know why, but some of the shots at the Lincoln Memorial looked really badly green screened to me.

That's weird since they filmed it on location.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

You know, the one Henry was jacking off to?

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Anyone else a little dissapointed with this season thus far? I get the sense that they are wasting time until they can kick off the end game, which I assume they've sorted out already. Stan and Aderholdt have had the same 1 pointless scene every episode so far. Phil's son comes all the way over here to have one scene with Gabriel, then gets sent home. What's up with Stan's girlfriend, anyway? This whole season has been slow and plodding without much payoff yet. And there's what, 15 episodes total left in the show?

This is the first season where I've caught the episodes as they've aired as opposed to binging them after the fact, maybe that's my problem.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

misdirectomy posted:

Anyone else a little dissapointed with this season thus far? I get the sense that they are wasting time until they can kick off the end game, which I assume they've sorted out already. Stan and Aderholdt have had the same 1 pointless scene every episode so far. Phil's son comes all the way over here to have one scene with Gabriel, then gets sent home. What's up with Stan's girlfriend, anyway? This whole season has been slow and plodding without much payoff yet. And there's what, 15 episodes total left in the show?

This is the first season where I've caught the episodes as they've aired as opposed to binging them after the fact, maybe that's my problem.

The show is a real slow burn, and yeah, it really does work better binged.

But it's all about contrasts. When the Russians want to get something out of Americans, they send in super agents to kill or gently caress their way to victory. Their frickin' ministry of trade people will be sitting in your apartment, going through your ill gotten gains, and will consign you to the gulag basically at whim. The Americans will send a couple of dumpy middle aged guys who might as well be wearing giant flashing neon signs saying 'FBI!' to say 'Hey, wanna be a spy?'

P&E bringing Paige to Gabriel is basically her 'baptism' into communism. She's been reading the holy texts of Marx, she's expressed an interest, now they're bringing her to the bearded, wise local high priest. Meanwhile, said high priest is having his own crisis of faith over lying to his acolytes, and is preparing to return to the monastery to seclude himself and strengthen his faith and conviction. I think he's also planning on personally keeping an eye on Mischa and trying to keep him safe from himself and from the Soviet system as best he can; I think he sees this as the best way to navigate all of his conflicting duties and loyalties; to the KGB, to the State, to Philip, and to his own conscience and ethics.

And there's plenty of payoff. The little flashback of the Korean family, for example, was an amazing way to illustrate Elizabeth's regrets and internal discord about the human cost of what she does, and the sacrifices she makes on a daily basis.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I kinda feel similarly now that I'm watching week to week, and yeah part of it is the binging. I binged 3, 4, and some of 5 and don't remember how I felt week-to-week during 1 and 2 but obviously I'm still watching so they must be always doing something right.

People express similar feelings about Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul and it usually comes down to these shows focusing and succeeding at character work above all else. And that's fine.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I seem to recall at one point after Brezhnev died his son-in-law got popped for corruption. With the guy in Oleg's investigation moaning about how high it goes and how he'll be dead if he spills, I wonder if they'll tie that real life of history in here. In the show universe, the traitor Gorbachev is the Gen Sec now right? I recall a scene where they put up in the Russian Embassy a couple portraits that very quickly came down so I guess we're past Andropov/Chernenko interlude? I don't remember for certain.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Jack2142 posted:

I mean its 1984 Trump isn't exactly "young" he is almost 40 at that point like he is only a few years younger than Phillip and Elizabeth.

What the gently caress Trump is actually 70.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Fast Luck posted:

I seem to recall at one point after Brezhnev died his son-in-law got popped for corruption. With the guy in Oleg's investigation moaning about how high it goes and how he'll be dead if he spills, I wonder if they'll tie that real life of history in here. In the show universe, the traitor Gorbachev is the Gen Sec now right? I recall a scene where they put up in the Russian Embassy a couple portraits that very quickly came down so I guess we're past Andropov/Chernenko interlude? I don't remember for certain.

Yes, Gorbachev is Gen Sec. We're in 1986 iirc.

Edit: vvv Yeah my bad. I meant 84 I don't know why I typed 86.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 12, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yes, Gorbachev is Gen Sec. We're in 1986 iirc.

We are? Last I knew it was still 84

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

misdirectomy posted:

I always watched this show live and previous seasons were generally livelier, I don't think it's that.

I'm enjoying it so far but IMO it wouldn't hurt to crank up the action a bit. I just watched it and am struggling to think of anything memorable outside of Philip's conversation, and even then, dad guard, so what. Now, if Gabriel broke the news like this:
"Philip, I'm sorry, your father died in a penal logging camp.
"Oh no :("
"I know, such misfortune to fall off a guard tower!"

That would've been something else entirely.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

howe_sam posted:

We are? Last I knew it was still 84

They discussed the famous '86 Winter Olympics in the first episode.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

And there's plenty of payoff. The little flashback of the Korean family, for example, was an amazing way to illustrate Elizabeth's regrets and internal discord about the human cost of what she does, and the sacrifices she makes on a daily basis.

Thanks for bringing this up as it confused us last episode. That was the house the Korean lived in now with new occupants, yes? Elizabeth returned to reflect on the family she basically destroyed per orders from the Centre. Is that what we were supposed to get out of it?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

hatelull posted:

Thanks for bringing this up as it confused us last episode. That was the house the Korean lived in now with new occupants, yes? Elizabeth returned to reflect on the family she basically destroyed per orders from the Centre. Is that what we were supposed to get out of it?

Yes. She got (hate to use this term but I will) triggered by the Mary-Kay lady since that assignment first began with a Mary-Kay thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last 5 minutes of this episode rank with the opening 5 minutes of the pilot. Holy shiiiiit.

I read Oleg burning the stuff as him doing his Punk Rock New Wave Rebel Thing Yeah and basically saying "gently caress all this lovely system and its lovely making me imprison a guy who was just as much a victim of our awful government and oh yeah gently caress YOU DAD"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Number Ten Cocks posted:

They discussed the famous '86 Winter Olympics in the first episode.
I'm looking it up and I think the Winter Olympics were 84 and 88?

Brezhnev's son-in-law got arrested some time around Feb '87
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-02-04/news/mn-510_1_interior-minister

Gorbachav's revisionism kicked into extra high gear post 1987. Even if the show doesn't continue through the fall of the Soviet Union it would be interesting to see Elizabeth's reaction to perestroika and glasnost spinning out of control.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Fast Luck posted:

I'm looking it up and I think the Winter Olympics were 84 and 88?

:thejoke:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Stuffed peppers are bomb, Henry.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Longbaugh01 posted:

I didn't get what was happening here? Are we meant to think that having the key pliable would make it take on the shape of the lock and work? Because that's nothing like how locks work, and this show is normally really good at attention to detail. So is it something else?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think the door was already open and she was making a 'mold' of the key using the imprint of the tumbler in the soot, so they can make a copy and come back to the office later for the files.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wouldn't the pins all just drag a single-file line in the soot across the edge of the key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Longbaugh01 posted:

That's weird since they filmed it on location.

Actually the new Slate podcast discusses how the shots of Frank Langella were green screen because he couldn't make the trip to DC; the rest was a body double shot from behind on location.

Slate's The Americans Podcast posted:

Then the visual effects team explains how they placed Gabriel at Washington's Lincoln Monument when actor Frank Langella was in New York,

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/04/12/behind_the_scenes_of_the_americans_506_crossbreed.html

• Locked thread