Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

Space? There's no more space stuff in Wildstar than there is in WoW.

Hey now, the 1/3 of the moon zone that was actually moon themed was pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

Nah, people have known Molyneux was a hack since the first Black and White released. The problem is there really is a sucker born every second and a whole lot of them are super into video games.

Molyneux coasted by on his fame as an innovative game dev because his dev cycles were long enough everyone forgot his games were bad and didn't meet the expectations he set and they only remembered the hype surrounding him. Same for David Cage.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The one thing Molyneux really and truly has a talent for is hyping the ever living poo poo of a product. He has that Steve Jobesque style that comes off as very cerebral, its a really effective way of pitching video games. Of course, since the dude is practically a con man his willingness to blatantly lie and misrepresent the product probably helps with the process of pitching it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Commissar Budgie posted:

There are what, 3 playable planets in WoW, 4 if you count old draenor? Hell, demon hunters get their own space ship as a class hall. One of the races are aliens who crash landed on the planet. WoW has way more space poo poo tbh.
Yeah the amazing thing to me playing Wildstar was getting out of the newbie tutorial ship, dropping down planetside, and like two or three levels later I'm doing fetch quests for generic fantasy bird men people who are having trouble with water elementals or whatever the gently caress it was. If you told me the whole chain was from Burning Crusade I probably would have believed you, and it was poo poo like that which made it hard to get invested in the premise.

I guess they got more sci-fi again later, but I get the feeling most people quit well before level 20. :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I guess the aesthetic was super subjective then because I always thought it was one of Wildstar's stronger points. The magitech vibes and over the top fantasy environments were actually pretty well done, and reminded me a lot of Jak and Daxter.

I'm not sure how much stuff like that matters to people in the long run, though, especially when everything else about the game was Not That Great.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The existing game is great

i m gonna try secret world once it goes f2p. this is the proper thread for keeping up with mmo news

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

When does secret world go f2p? i think i might give it another spin too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Meskhenet posted:

When does secret world go f2p? i think i might give it another spin too.

they are relaunching, no date yet

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I really liked Wildstar's aesthetic too. I think the really excellent music somehow jived really well with it. Wildstar is probably the only MMO I have ever played where I left the music on.

So much of Wildstar's zone design was generic fantasy though, thats for sure. But not just generic fantasy, but generic snow zone, generic jungle zone, generic grassland zone, etc etc. Stuff like the moon's surface part of Farside and shiphands were way to few and far between.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

I really liked Wildstar's aesthetic too. I think the really excellent music somehow jived really well with it. Wildstar is probably the only MMO I have ever played where I left the music on.

So much of Wildstar's zone design was generic fantasy though, thats for sure. But not just generic fantasy, but generic snow zone, generic jungle zone, generic grassland zone, etc etc. Stuff like the moon's surface part of Farside and shiphands were way to few and far between.

I kind of liked it, but then 90% of what they did with it was just stock videogame environments/characters so it was kinda squandered.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wildstar's design looks like, IDK, a really high res PS2 game? Like it really looks like someone wanted to combine the aesthetics of Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter with Time Splitters.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over going through chargen, customizing up a fancy robot character... and then having everything but its head hidden under brown sackcloth.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bieeardo posted:

I still can't get over going through chargen, customizing up a fancy robot character... and then having everything but its head hidden under brown sackcloth.

this is a really dumb problem with tons of MMOs. it's so weird that there's like 400 sliders to perfectly adjust your face in all these games and then one of the first pieces of gear you inevitably get is a helmet that hides your entire head

it seems like a lot of more modern games let you hide gear or whatever but that feels like a tacked-on "solution" to a problem that could have just never been an issue in the first place

people like to look at their custom dudes just let them look at their custom dudes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Allowing hiding gear is the only correct solution. I like helmets.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Truga posted:

Allowing hiding gear is the only correct solution. I like helmets.

You should be able to hide everything. I want to run around with no pants

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

FFXIV does that by letting you change the appearance of your gear to the emperor's new clothes. That's literally what they called it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

A decent costume system really is the best answer. For some reason most MMO developers have really dragged their feet about implementing one thats good and not punishing to the players.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wildstar lets you do that, cupcake.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

From what I remember, ws actually had a pretty decent wardrobe system, but then they had to make it shittier because people were using glamour slots for more storage because oh no how can we let them do that.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
As much as I like FFXIV, it has a god awful costume mechanic that requires reagents with the gear, in a game with limited inventory. Easily the worse I've come across.

They really need to update those systems.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mayor McCheese posted:

As much as I like FFXIV, it has a god awful costume mechanic that requires reagents with the gear, in a game with limited inventory. Easily the worse I've come across.

The problem is, it's something they didn't consider in their initial design. They're good folk over there but they still miss out on larger movements in the industry sometimes.

So the system is a bolted-on thing that simply has a piece of gear get altered to reference another mesh. Actually having a WS-style glam slot system would require a hell of a lot of work (tho now that they're off the PS3, it's conceivable they have the client resources for it).

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also doesnt Chris Roberts still have some kind of ownership of the Wing Commander IP? Hes claimed repeatedly that various residuals from Wing Commander are how hes been able to afford some of the more outrageous stuff hes bought lately like that Pacific Palisades mansion of his. Wing Commander was a bit before my time, I know it was a huge hit but I really cant imagine it made as much money as he claims. Video games were just so much more niche back then.

Wing 3 and Wing 4 both sold seven figures even back in the 90s, and the earlier Wing Commanders also sold high.

I would've thought the rights fully belonged to EA, but I guess he still sees some of that dosh. But no it's like Garriott and Ultima - for how much they cost to make, the Wing games were absurdly successful.

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't occur to me that this was doing double duty as a general discussion thread. Been fun going through the last few pages, between the Wildstar-making GBS threads and other discussions.

I'm burnt out on FFXIV right now but I'm broken brained enough to want something else to do, and I've been looking at TESO and Tree of Savior. God save me. :(

I make sure to pace myself so I'm not totally blown out on XIV - I want to be able to enjoy Stormblood, after all. :v:

I am a little tempted to take a peek at TESO while it's free - if nothing else, I'm curious about how their constant attempts to save it have gone.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I really like how GW2's wardrobe system works.

You can simply make any item look like any other corresponding item you have unlocked. Any heavy-weight chest piece, for example, can look like any other heavy-weight chest piece. Any staff can be made to look like any other staff.

To unlock an item skin in your wardrobe for use, you simply need to equip it to any character on your account once (which, in the case of high-end gear either account-binds or character-binds it, depending on the item). All skins are shared account-wide.

The process uses a special currency to do the initial transformation but, after that, it's permanent until you change it again. It can be done right there in your inventory. The currency item doesn't take up any space (it's stored in your account-wide wallet), and they're available in perfectly reasonable quantities for free in game. For people who like to change their gear appearance constantly, they sell extras in the cash-store, but even as someone who changes appearance a lot, I've always had a surplus and never had to buy one.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Rift had a good wardrobe system. It had the annoying requirement to actually own the items, instead of unlocking skins like in GW2, but on the other hand it had no armor class restrictions and allowed to hide any equipment slot instead of just helmets/shoulders. Mixing different weight classes of armor was cool, even if most of the armor in Rift was pretty ugly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

SpaceDrake posted:

I am a little tempted to take a peek at TESO while it's free - if nothing else, I'm curious about how their constant attempts to save it have gone.

I know a few people who swear by it and one who even compares it to City of Heroes (in terms of character building being fun), but I haven't been able to really get too much into it. The leveling still feels really bland and slow, and a lot of the magic of exploration and finding cool poo poo is kind of lost when you know it follows a traditional MMO structure.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

From what I remember, ws actually had a pretty decent wardrobe system, but then they had to make it shittier because people were using glamour slots for more storage because oh no how can we let them do that.

Last I remember looking at it it was actually one of the best ones I can think of in recent memory. You just paid to add the item to your collection and it was there forever. You get 10 costume slots that apply whatever appearance (or just setting yourself naked) and you don't have to constantly reapply appearances over new gear like WoW or GW2.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Last I remember looking at it it was actually one of the best ones I can think of in recent memory. You just paid to add the item to your collection and it was there forever. You get 10 costume slots that apply whatever appearance (or just setting yourself naked) and you don't have to constantly reapply appearances over new gear like WoW or GW2.

Yes, WS's wardrobe system was another one of those "secondary quality of life" systems that they completely nailed - like a lot of other things not related to the HARDCORE RAID FOCUS that the leads were so grognardy about but realized they might want to do, they lucked into finding some competent folks to implement it and it got done. It was pretty much what a wardrobe system should be in the 2010s.

Pretty much the story of Wildstar - the folks working on "secondary" systems were obviously massively talented, but it all got dragged down by an insistence on a core game loop design that was a decade out of date and was never that popular to begin with.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wildstar actually had this.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ESO has the most interesting questing out of three mmos I've been playing recently (eso, wow and xiv), it's a big plus that you're no longer constrained by levels and can go anywhere and do anything. I have no idea what's the endgame like but I had no desire to rush to it so far.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

ESO is pretty much a well done open world roamer at this point. If you enjoy questing its the MMO to play.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

My favorite questing in any MMO to date is still the secret world. It was fairly generic in some aspects, but it showed that you can take the time to draw a player in and it can pay off massively.

Then Tokyo and all the rest of it happened.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I still think my favourite questing in any MMO is Runescape. Basically 0 generic bear asses quests, all pretty fun.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/64i13r/unreal_kiks_engine_goes_37/

There are guilds still doing progression, and that makes me sad.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My favorite questing in any MMO to date is still the secret world. It was fairly generic in some aspects, but it showed that you can take the time to draw a player in and it can pay off massively.

Then Tokyo and all the rest of it happened.

They are completely revamping TSW into more of a f2p multiplayer action RPG with a hub system (Agartha), that actually sounds very promising at this point and it's something to look at.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I'm already checking my email constantly for an invite and was a grand master, so yeah I'm gonna play the poo poo out of it. It's been long enough since I played through the main story that I probably won't remember a lot of it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Really the American Northeast was the only really awesome spooky part of the game. Egypt and Transylvania were both overwrought and too busy.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Thumbtacks posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/64i13r/unreal_kiks_engine_goes_37/

There are guilds still doing progression, and that makes me sad.

I'm the not one, not two, not three, but FOUR nearly-naked cat ladies

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

ESO is pretty much a well done open world roamer at this point. If you enjoy questing its the MMO to play.

Yeah, I'm playing it during the free week and it seems ok. Basically the end result if MMOs had kept following the Everquest model.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Welp, this just got posted.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2017-04-13-state-of-the-universe/

It's... well, I'll refer you to Chairman's post a little while back. Moore's managing to be impressively upbeat about it, at least.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Really the American Northeast was the only really awesome spooky part of the game. Egypt and Transylvania were both overwrought and too busy.

Egpyt was definitely the low point, but transylvania was great. You had the bleak horror movie camp of the farmlands, the modern day grimm fairy tail stuff in the forest, and then the cold war supersoldier throwback stuff in the fangs. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it.

Also, even Egypt was better than anything in Wildstar and 99% of wow's questing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Colgate posted:

They are completely revamping TSW into more of a f2p multiplayer action RPG with a hub system (Agartha), that actually sounds very promising at this point and it's something to look at.
I'm interested but I remember the combat in TSW being really floaty and bad so I hope they do something about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Pierson posted:

I'm interested but I remember the combat in TSW being really floaty and bad so I hope they do something about that.

The main thing being addressed in the revamp is combat and the ability wheel. It's becoming an action rpg.

• Locked thread