Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goose willis posted:

I'm kind of curious as to why it takes so long to ship from Russia..
The Russian postal service is notoriously bad. They also steal poo poo constantly and now they won't allow anything over 2kg into the country, so a lot of companies can't even ship there any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, Guilliman is about 80% done. Not super happy with how his armor came out and decided I'm going to go back at it after all the other details are done.

Thoughts?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uroboros posted:

So, Guilliman is about 80% done. Not super happy with how his armor came out and decided I'm going to go back at it after all the other details are done.

Thoughts?

Sword blue

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Sword blue

Uroboros posted:

80% done.

I think it looks good, though your lighting could stand to be upgraded a bit - things are a little washed out and dull. You're fighting an uphill battle, since the sculpting of the armor doesn't look that good in the first place, but I think you've done a fine job.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Thoughts?

looks good so far. I agree that you're going to need more detail/highlighting on the armor--it looks a bit washed-out right now--but that could also be the lighting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Sephyr posted:

Care to share your list? I want to do one myself!

Sure, no problem. I've actually been enjoying just making different lists in battlescribe lately. It's like a fun puzzle.

Eldar
leader
Dire Avenger Exarch: 350 total
-twin Avenger catapult
-plasma grenades
-photo visor

Trooper
Dire Avenger: 145 total
-Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Dire Avenger: 145 total
-Avenger Shuriken Catapult

recruit
Guardian Defender: 120 total
-Shuriken Catapult

-Shuriken Catapult

-Shuriken Catapult

Total points: 1000

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got immense joy out of watching these four dads walk around Adepticon and slowly go from mocking to "wow, this is cool."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZVecn2e9U

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Thoughts?
Are you going to try and blend the scenic base in to the tiles at all? Some grass or rubble there would help tie those two together.

Sanford posted:

About six months ago i created a reddit account and posted a page from The Lost and The Damned at the request of a friend. I logged into the account today for the first time since then and discovered I missed... something? Wall of text incoming!

Sever.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

looks good so far. I agree that you're going to need more detail/highlighting on the armor--it looks a bit washed-out right now--but that could also be the lighting.

I've already went in and added blue after washing it. I'm unsure if I should try to add some thin blue lines along the edges of those portions. I'll definitely give the gold another edge run because it isn't bright enough.

SRM posted:

Are you going to try and blend the scenic base in to the tiles at all? Some grass or rubble there would help tie those two together.

I hadn't planned on it, Grass is definitely a no-go, I don't know how I'd do it in a way that would just draw more attention to it.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SRM posted:

Sever.

I'd reply to each one with an one word reply.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

dont doxx me bro

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd reply to each one with an one word reply.

A friend suggested taking the photos he asked for and make sure whatever I weigh the pages down with accidentally covers the very specific information he's asking for. But y'know, effort.

I don't use Reddit but is it possible he thinks he's participating in an active thread, but is sending me PMs by mistake?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
New Regimental Standard is up.

Private Jenkins posted:

Marksmanship training
Power packs are in low supply, though we’ve been reassured by Lieutenant Tighe that we will be given all we needed upon planet fall to Armageddon******, so during today’s practice, we were instructed to simply shout ‘zap’ when we fired.

No lie, this is exactly what we had to do during a training exercise when they couldn't afford to give us blanks (except we said "bang.")

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can confirm, is exactly what happens. Our DSs had a sense of humor, and decided the SAW gunners had to say "b-b-b-budget cuts".

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

berzerkmonkey posted:

New Regimental Standard is up.

No lie, this is exactly what we had to do during a training exercise when they couldn't afford to give us blanks (except we said "bang.")

This makes me want to see a Imperial guard version of Private SNAFU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

I've already went in and added blue after washing it. I'm unsure if I should try to add some thin blue lines along the edges of those portions. I'll definitely give the gold another edge run because it isn't bright enough.

I hadn't planned on it, Grass is definitely a no-go, I don't know how I'd do it in a way that would just draw more attention to it.

I'd paint the edges with texture paint just to cover the gap between the base and the tiles and make it a bit more seamless.

And yeah, I'd consider edging the gold with like a Runefang silver or non-GW equivalent.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Munchables posted:

Alright, here's a few variations of one format, with a bit simpler design, and the correct hex codes for the paints I have. Also, it should be noted that I currently plan on mostly using 30k Prospero marines, so these aren't completely representative, just a general color placement guide.

I like the purple on the helmet (:awesome:) but it would probably look better all purple rather than with a gold faceplate.

If you wanted to work white into the scheme, you could have white helmets for officers, and paint one kneepad white for squad markings.

EDIT:

Or something like this?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like the purple on the helmet (:awesome:) but it would probably look better all purple rather than with a gold faceplate.

If you wanted to work white into the scheme, you could have white helmets for officers, and paint one kneepad white for squad markings.

EDIT:

Or something like this?

I like how those look, but I'm trying to not have too much purple on large parts of the model so they don't look like Emperor's Children. Also, on the models I have the helmets are big knight-like things, and so a gold faceplate and purple helmet would probably look fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uroboros posted:

Thoughts?

I think it looks okay. It could be the lighting in the shot, but the blue looks super flat. You need some kinda contrast in there to give it depth, some highlighting or some shading or something. (You probably already did some but either because of the photo or something I'm not seeing much contrast)

The shoes look great, they have noticeable highlighting breaking up the blue. I admit I don't know what I'd do with Gulliman's armor either, its weird.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

If you look at the pictures in Gathering Storm III you can tell the guys went with a lighter shade of blue, or at least blended up to it. I don't know if that is in my skill set, but they also did some edging right where the blue meets the gold, which is a serious pain the rear end, but it might be my only recourse...

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
It's not the standard GW style, but I'm a big fan of highlighting towards the centre of plates enclosed by trim. Keep it dark at the edges for maximum contrast with the gold, and several very thin layers of increasing bright blue towards the middle. Takes a bit of practice, but can really pop.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

If you look at the pictures in Gathering Storm III you can tell the guys went with a lighter shade of blue, or at least blended up to it. I don't know if that is in my skill set, but they also did some edging right where the blue meets the gold, which is a serious pain the rear end, but it might be my only recourse...

It's really not that tough, just clean up with the base color afterwards. I've done it plenty. You can kinda see it on the power fist on my Guilliman here:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Anybody know of a good resource on legion/chapter organisation pre-heresy? Preferably with pictures. My fluff for my chapter is that they've been disconnected from the imperium for a while and don't know where their chapter originated from, so they hold a bunch of rules/traditions/organisation from the original legions. Just to be clear, they're not supposed to be MUH OC 21ST LEGION, I'm just trying to give reasoning behind the 30k models being used.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Make your OC Legion. Forge your own narrative.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Munchables posted:

Anybody know of a good resource on legion/chapter organisation pre-heresy? Preferably with pictures. My fluff for my chapter is that they've been disconnected from the imperium for a while and don't know where their chapter originated from, so they hold a bunch of rules/traditions/organisation from the original legions. Just to be clear, they're not supposed to be MUH OC 21ST LEGION, I'm just trying to give reasoning behind the 30k models being used.
There's... a lot of that in the Horus Heresy books. Every legion gets a bunch of pages dedicated to them in their respective books and a chunk of that is devoted to their numbers and organization at the beginning of the Heresy.

The books are expensive, but I'm sure you can find what you're looking for somewhere else. Nerds love this poo poo.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

mango sentinel posted:

Make your OC Legion. Forge your own narrative.

Well, I am making my own chapter, but for now I don't have a particular primarch I want their geneseed to be from, so they're just a chapter with 30k sensibilities and organisation because that was passed down by the chapter masters from whenever they were formed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Munchables posted:

Well, I am making my own chapter, but for now I don't have a particular primarch I want their geneseed to be from, so they're just a chapter with 30k sensibilities and organisation because that was passed down by the chapter masters from whenever they were formed.

Raven Guard have a lot of this going on. Corax exiled chunks of his legion when he was reunited with them.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ashen_Claws

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Raven Guard have a lot of this going on. Corax exiled chunks of his legion when he was reunited with them.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ashen_Claws
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carcharodons
:colbert:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Munchables posted:

so they're just a chapter with 30k sensibilities and organisation

FWIW, one of the biggest outcomes for Space Marines was the total reorganization of the Legions into Chapters. A Chapter is only 1000 marines strong, but there was no hard cap on a Legion's size. This both decentralized their power, and decreased the threat of 5% of the total Space Marine population going Chaos at the whim of an individual.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

They were my first choice too but the lexicanum page doesn't really expand on the origins as much as the Ashen Claws one

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

moths posted:

FWIW, one of the biggest outcomes for Space Marines was the total reorganization of the Legions into Chapters. A Chapter is only 1000 marines strong, but there was no hard cap on a Legion's size. This both decentralized their power, and decreased the threat of 5% of the total Space Marine population going Chaos at the whim of an individual.

Yeah, I know about that, I'm not trying to make a legion just a successor chapter to an unknown legion.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Neat, they have a name? Some backstory?

Chapter name is "Ot Neba," for "From space/the sky." They communicate internally in a pigin dead language they cribbed from ancient historical documents as a way ensure privacy.

Backstory is that they're ultra-secretive spergy strategy nerds that feel individual accomplishments are pursued at the cost of tactics. No Marine is allowed to know the name of his superior and no outsider is allowed to know the name of a marine. They are nomadic, likely a successor of the Iron hands but no one knows for sure outside the chapter. They particularly favor joint engagements and have been known to harass other commanders with unasked for strategic advice. Lately they've been under inquisitorial investigations for (according to internal Ordo Hereticus communications) acting "A bit Tzeentchy" but nothing as yet has come from it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

It's really not that tough, just clean up with the base color afterwards. I've done it plenty. You can kinda see it on the power fist on my Guilliman here:

When you look at the armor of fate it becomes clear it is slightly tedious. Keeping the lines thin is the hard part, I might need to get an XS brush.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Munchables posted:

Yeah, I know about that, I'm not trying to make a legion just a successor chapter to an unknown legion.

Gotcha, I just didn't want to see you to get too far down "30k organization" before running into conflicting fluff.

OTOH, a cursed founding Frankenstein chapter with inexplicable PTSD memories of the Heresy might be the most 40k thing. They weren't there to experience it, get confused about what millennia it is, and sometimes forget it ever happened.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Chapter name is "Ot Neba," for "From space/the sky." They communicate internally in a pigin dead language they cribbed from ancient historical documents as a way ensure privacy.

Backstory is that they're ultra-secretive spergy strategy nerds that feel individual accomplishments are pursued at the cost of tactics. No Marine is allowed to know the name of his superior and no outsider is allowed to know the name of a marine. They are nomadic, likely a successor of the Iron hands but no one knows for sure outside the chapter. They particularly favor joint engagements and have been known to harass other commanders with unasked for strategic advice. Lately they've been under inquisitorial investigations for (according to internal Ordo Hereticus communications) acting "A bit Tzeentchy" but nothing as yet has come from it.

Sounds more like Dark Angels to me. Do they have a mysterious cloaked figure hanging around sometimes?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

moths posted:

Gotcha, I just didn't want to see you to get too far down "30k organization" before running into conflicting fluff.

OTOH, a cursed founding Frankenstein chapter with inexplicable PTSD memories of the Heresy might be the most 40k thing. They weren't there to experience it, get confused about what millennia it is, and sometimes forget it ever happened.

That actually sounds really cool! And that could help explain why their wargear "looks" old, and why they don't know most of their chapter history; that's a real good idea and I'ma take it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"inexplicable PTSD memories of the Heresy" is Blood_Angels.txt, so I support this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eifert Posting posted:

Congrats on being descendants of the Best Legion.
Alpha Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Speaking of Alpha Legion, if I take a dedicated transport with infiltrating Alpha Legion chosen, does the transport infiltrate too?

• Locked thread