Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FuzzySkinner posted:

IndyCar is a different animal.

Case in point? Bourdais is leading the title fight right now in a team that would be comparable to Sauber or Manor in terms of traditional positions on the grid.

It's not unlikely, I mean...I saw a rookie in Rossi win it last year in one of the most amazingly bizarre finishes ever. It's a real :ussr: of a series for better or worse.

But Indycar is a spec chassis series, so no chassis construction necessary (I know that's oversimplfying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
is the engine a team designed thing or is the whole package basically series racing? If so, of course it's close, that's the point of series racing.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f1-wants-to-boost-appeal-by-sharing-race-secrets-wztj5qg2f

Just no, Brawn is full of ideas now he doesn't need to keep secrets

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Andretti pretty much dominated Indy last year, they finished 1-2 and had two other cars lead a bunch of laps but crash (Marco finished 13th and did nothing of note but he sucks and is irrelevant).

Tony Montana posted:

is the engine a team designed thing or is the whole package basically series racing? If so, of course it's close, that's the point of series racing.

The basic chassis is built by Dallara, engine and aero bodywork is built by Chevy and Honda. Next year it will be an entirely spec Dallara car with Chevy and Honda engines (and maybe a third engine in 2019).

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 13, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And next year, the cars are going to be completely different

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
wow I knew they shared the Dallara chassis but I didn't know it's series racing, where all the aero and design is done by shared resources, not the teams.

Well there you go. Formula One Supremacy Intact.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

And next year, the cars are going to be completely different

And cool as fuuuuuuuuuck

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

poty posted:

If anyone wants to discuss F1 races and qualy sessions live without being told what to think by Angela Merkel's favourite mouthpieces wicka and Morns, I recommend the #f1 IRC channel on server irc.synirc.org

Speaking of which, is there no discord channel? Bernie is gone, we can use modern technology to chat about F1 now.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I saw a SAS Discord at one point, I think there was an F1 channel on it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are you sure that's McLaren? I mean the paint scheme is right but it's not on fire

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

wicka posted:

Andretti pretty much dominated Indy last year, they finished 1-2 and had two other cars lead a bunch of laps but crash (Marco finished 13th and did nothing of note but he sucks and is irrelevant).

My solution is to move Marco to Mclaren for the three laps of Monaco he'll be able to run, and give Alonso Bryan Herta for the 500.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Does anyone know if Singapore will be running a race next year? I haven't seen anything yet that says it's been scrapped like Malaysia but it was rumored to be happening.

I'm seriously considering going, as it's one of the closest races for me and it would be nice to see a different track to Albert Park, but I won't be able to organise going this year. So if it's canceled I'll be kinda bummed about it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't heard anything and I have a friend moving there to mainly watch F1 rounds, so I think it's ok.

Oh another thing about the Indy 500 is drinking the milk. I just read a thing where Fittipaldi is stilled booed for when he didn't drink it in the 90s. I'm thinking oh this is some American tradition thing and he snubbed it, that's not very nice. But of course you read a bit further and literally one day a dude was drinking milk and the loving Milk Board saw it and suddenly the MARKETING GENIUS dawned on them so they just elbowed their way right in there, shoving a bottle of milk in front of next year's winner and yelling ITS TRADITION. So the drinking of the milk is literally nothing more than the people that make and sell milk forcing their way into the celebration.

America, gotta love it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Drinking milk is cool, gently caress you

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tony Montana posted:

America, gotta love it.
Until this year NASCAR had title sponsors on races such as the Spongebob Squarepants 400 or the Cheez-It 355. Actually they still have that race sponsoring, but they lost Spongebob and Cheez-It. NASCAR is in trouble.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tony your posts are bad

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

I haven't heard anything and I have a friend moving there to mainly watch F1 rounds, so I think it's ok.

Oh another thing about the Indy 500 is drinking the milk. I just read a thing where Fittipaldi is stilled booed for when he didn't drink it in the 90s. I'm thinking oh this is some American tradition thing and he snubbed it, that's not very nice. But of course you read a bit further and literally one day a dude was drinking milk and the loving Milk Board saw it and suddenly the MARKETING GENIUS dawned on them so they just elbowed their way right in there, shoving a bottle of milk in front of next year's winner and yelling ITS TRADITION. So the drinking of the milk is literally nothing more than the people that make and sell milk forcing their way into the celebration.

America, gotta love it.

It's not an American tradition, it's an Indy tradition. I'm sure if a driver refused to spray champagne on the podium he'd get booed, too.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm sure if the winner of the Bathurst 1000 didn't eat a poisonous spider people would be chucking shoes at him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

America, gotta love it.

LC parachute account spotted.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm sure if the winner of the Bathurst 1000 didn't eat a poisonous spider people would be chucking shoes at him.

lmao

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who LC is I'm afraid.

It's not the milk, it's that it's corporate advertising presented as a tradition. Where was the Indy Tradition of drinking the milk conceived? In the boardroom of the Milk Board.

We don't spray champagne around because MOET offered us some money to do it. It's sprayed because it's sprayable and it's fun and looks good.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

It's not an American tradition, it's an Indy tradition. I'm sure if a driver refused to spray champagne on the podium he'd get booed, too.

Indy's traditions are incredible to witness first hand. I would imagine a lot of people would probably scoff at the :911: patriotism, but it's really genuine and actually brings a tear to your eye. I know that sounds HILARIOUSLY stupid, but it's kind of a "You have to be there" sort of thing to explain it.

And actually Emmo has been one of the biggest champions of the Indianapolis 500, calling it the "REAL" US Grand Prix in terms of atmosphere and such. "Declining the milk" has long since been forgotten. Hell, Vasser made a "Who needs milk" comment in '96 when the CART teams boycotted it. When he was a co-owner in 2013? Dude was drinking it along with everyone IIRC.

But it's a nice little tradition. Indiana is very rural and very much farm country. The state dairy board runs it, and it's very "Mom and Pop" iIRC. Drivers love it. Fans love it, etc.

Indy should be at the top of any racing fan's "bucket list". Along with Le Mans, Spa, Monza, Daytona, Talladega...gently caress..yeah, go see races if you got the money. It's never a bad time.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2017

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Thank you Tony Montana for exposing us to the collusion of Big Milk and the Indy 500, working behind the scenes in the 1930s to subtly influence decades of American motorsport viewers' perception of dairy products. This is why I come to this thread.

Oh, and to post about how Ferrari owns. They own.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh hi! pocket chomp!

I thought you were dead and gone! Oh well, I guess Ferrari are quick this year so I've already had all the good luck I'm going to get.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Indy's traditions are incredible to witness first hand. I would imagine a lot of people would probably scoff at the :911: patriotism, but it's really genuine and actually brings a tear to your eye. I know that sounds HILARIOUSLY stupid, but it's kind of a "You have to be there" sort of thing to explain it.

And actually Emmo has been one of the biggest champions of the Indianapolis 500, calling it the "REAL" US Grand Prix in terms of atmosphere and such. "Declining the milk" has long since been forgotten. Hell, Vasser made a "Who needs milk" comment in '96 when the CART teams boycotted it. When he was a co-owner in 2013? Dude was drinking it along with everyone IIRC.

But it's a nice little tradition. Indiana is very rural and very much farm country. The state dairy board runs it, and it's very "Mom and Pop" iIRC. Drivers love it. Fans love it, etc.

Indy should be at the top of any racing fan's "bucket list". Along with Le Mans, Spa, Monza, Daytona, Talladega...gently caress..yeah, go see races if you got the money. It's never a bad time.

I will. All the little nuances just make it more interesting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

To be fair I think the champagne spraying thing is stupid and needs to stop. particularly as 1-2 drivers are guaranteed to be the same people doing it 75% of the season

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If I was on the podium I'd ask for a refreshing ice cold can of Pabst.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also Indy is loving MASSIVE isn't it? Like way more spectators than any F1 race anywhere?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Also Indy is loving MASSIVE isn't it? Like way more spectators than any F1 race anywhere?

let's see... they think over 350,000 were there last year (it was a sell out, either way). So yeah, it's huge.

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 13, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair I think the champagne spraying thing is stupid and needs to stop. particularly as 1-2 drivers are guaranteed to be the same people doing it 75% of the season

You are aggressively boring.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Wants to stop spraying champagne. I just had to quote you bro.

I think cancelling Christmas and Easter should also happen. Also no kittens. Puppies may be ok, but their cuteness needs to be assessed and the puppy rapidly put down if it's over a certain value

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

If you smile after winning a race you should lose 10 points.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

just loving lol that we can't touch the sacred institution of emotionlessly spraying champagne for the 18th consecutive time that year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If you've actually won something like you're in a Haas and made it onto the podium or you've just won Le Mans or the WDC I get actually celebrating that. If you're in a Ferrari or Mercedes and you're just poodling around all race its really loving dumb to act like it was any sort of exciting suprise that you're up there.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

This has to be one of the weirder complaints I've read on this forum.

Serial winners shouldn't do a podium celebration? Okay...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone like Seb or Lewis that has had period of extreme dominance will tell you that a lights to flag victory is boring and assumed for everyone except them while they're doing it

I do get your point though, it's not frantic excited omg we WON champagne spraying, often it really is just going through the motions for Lewis particularly. But that's because Lewis is a boring Brit who would manage to make anything dreary, Schumy would jump up and down and always looked properly delighted.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thank gently caress it's a race week

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

If you've actually won something like you're in a Haas and made it onto the podium or you've just won Le Mans or the WDC I get actually celebrating that. If you're in a Ferrari or Mercedes and you're just poodling around all race its really loving dumb to act like it was any sort of exciting suprise that you're up there.

The problem there isnt the champagne.

Do you want to be like, "sorry i don't think you wanted this badly enough, none for you!" ?

On the one hand I would support this because it'd mean the only person winning, but not often enough?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Every race pick one random person on the podium and instead of champagne give them a bucket of chicken nuggets and they have to throw handfuls of them into the crowd. That's already spicing up the podium celebrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

• Locked thread