Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You left a floppy in the machine? :v:

That's generally not a nice thing to call your significant other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Scammers targeting us.... Getting bombarded with emails claiming to be from our CEO needing a wire transfer done.

Looks like they first tried to send via spoofed emails, but SPF/DKIM/DMARC blocked them. So instead they are now sending them from a AOL email address that passes SPF/DKIM and DMARC checks. Thankfully Google Apps is still junking them all.

Can only assume they got the CEOs name from our website.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stevewm posted:

Scammers targeting us.... Getting bombarded with emails claiming to be from our CEO needing a wire transfer done.

Looks like they first tried to send via spoofed emails, but SPF/DKIM/DMARC blocked them. So instead they are now sending them from a AOL email address that passes SPF/DKIM and DMARC checks. Thankfully Google Apps is still junking them all.

Can only assume they got the CEOs name from our website.

I'm assuming that you've done due diligence of warning the finahahaha who am I kidding, they'll just wire the money while staring at the CEO.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We post email address of all staff at a supervisory level on our public website.

People still complain that they're getting too much spam, despite my clear and constant answer of "tough poo poo".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At this point it's probably worth having a rule that shoves [External] in front of the subject line of any email that originated outside your company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Second performance review for me, despite hitting every target and only making one mistake (which i stayed late and corrected before anyone would have used said system, but whatever, not perfect!) the HR person who is somehow still trying to dictate how I work decided that she'd talk about how the quality of my work is terrible for a good 10 minutes or so, after spending 50 minutes talking through all the tasks that I was set and had completed a month ago because lol 29 tasks to do in a month how slow do you think i work. My manager is a loving pussy and hasn't spoken to her about how she shouldn't be setting performance reviews for me without going through him. He was praising me throughout the loving meeting at least, so I don't know what the hell is happening.

On the plus side, I did get her to admit on record that i'm the only person in the company who isn't allowed flexi time, so I get to have some fun with the rest of HR tomorrow. God i can't wait to leave.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

At this point it's probably worth having a rule that shoves [External] in front of the subject line of any email that originated outside your company.

"Sorry, but your email doesn't belong to the company, I can't help you."
"This is my personal account, wire the money immediately."
"Okay!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I'd like to think at that point it's not ITs problem but it involves email so it's obviously your job to ensure that all bad email is filtered and no legit email gets held up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Trying to help a 93 year old lady use Windows 7... There are just so many better ways for me to use my (expensive) time

Fuuuuuuck she keeps all of her official documents in a single word doc that is now 193 pages long. And she's complaining that it's hard to use.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 11, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why would HR ever be setting performance goals? That isn't what HR does.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some (most) companies are completely dysfunctional to the point where being a leader in your industry just requires not making batshit insane choices.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Peachfart posted:

Why would HR ever be setting performance goals? That isn't what HR does.

It is when HR is composed of a power hungry person who is left unchecked. At this point if you tell her to piss off she tries to pull the "i'm senior management" crap. I've been having a lot of conversations with our actual senior management, who are (begrudgingly) agreeing with me, so its progress.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We post email address of all staff at a supervisory level on our public website.

People still complain that they're getting too much spam, despite my clear and constant answer of "tough poo poo".

Not quite public posting, but the owner/md of this place got a couple of phishing e-mails and went all "WE NEED TO CHANGE MAIL PROTECTION IMMEDIATELY" then one week later I've got a tech coming on site to change out our provider without knowing what the gently caress. It's been about a month now and our spam ingress has increased ten-fold in addition to once loving up our PTR so big domains would reject us :waycool:

I told him it would be a massive waste of time with nothing to gain and we would lose support from our MSP, but whatever what do I know.

However I have been defeated by this drat thin client, I just cannot get our softphone to not sound like crap on it where as a regular windows machine using RDP makes it sound fine. I feel like a dummy for buying two of them but I guess it's no big loss, I'm sort reconsidering using RDP at all and maybe getting DirectAccess setup for home working since besides a phone the other thing needed would be file server access.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Trying to help a 93 year old lady use Windows 7... There are just so many better ways for me to use my (expensive) time

Fuuuuuuck she keeps all of her official documents in a single word doc that is now 193 pages long. And she's complaining that it's hard to use.

I don't know, call me an rear end in a top hat, but if you need constant hand holding to do your job, should you really have that job?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I'm assuming that you've done due diligence of warning the finahahaha who am I kidding, they'll just wire the money while staring at the CEO.

They all ended up in SPAM.

I still think Google's spam/virus filtering is some of the best in the industry. Out of all the email providers and 3rd party scanners we have used over the years, nothing has come close to Google's filtering.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dogstile posted:

It is when HR is composed of a power hungry person who is left unchecked. At this point if you tell her to piss off she tries to pull the "i'm senior management" crap. I've been having a lot of conversations with our actual senior management, who are (begrudgingly) agreeing with me, so its progress.

More than once I've told someone they were unqualified to rate me on my job.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

stevewm posted:

They all ended up in SPAM.

I still think Google's spam/virus filtering is some of the best in the industry. Out of all the email providers and 3rd party scanners we have used over the years, nothing has come close to Google's filtering.

I actually had a client complain that he got 'so much spam' and why 'we can't filter like gmail'. My reply was basically that no one can do it like google.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SEKCobra posted:

I actually had a client complain that he got 'so much spam' and why 'we can't filter like gmail'. My reply was basically that no one can do it like google.

Why can't you do world class spam filtering/tailor this stock iPhone app just for my weird rear end use case/make this entire facility run on super fast perfect VMs.

The answer to all these requests is the same. If I could do that for you, I would be earning a lot more money and not working here at all.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes of course you would want to keep all of them in a single file.

Having an individual file for each sheet or few sheets of paper would be a huge mess not to mention expensive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We've been moved up to the engineering department while they remodel our shithole office.

When someone has their headphones on, to get their attention they shoot them with a rubber dart gun. Use IM, dipshits.

Bonus pictures of dead mouse that was in the ceiling:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

When someone has their headphones on, to get their attention they shoot them with a rubber dart gun. Use IM, dipshits.

I don't know, the dart gun sounds like a lot more fun. My desk is in the Accounting office, and as dull as that sounds, we do have fun. In that same situation of needing to get someone's attention when they've got headphones on we've been known to throw foam balls at each other. Bonus points if you can make it land on top of whatever they're working on without actually hitting them. :hehe:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fond of the dart gun. Another method i'm ok with is the "neck massage" but only because the person who does it is pretty hot.

I found out today i'm not getting a raise though, despite taking on a new job. Sorry, office hottie (she's already said i can't leave because she'll miss me), i'm switching companies. Already sent out applications. Don't pay me, you don't get me.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 12, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PremiumSupport posted:

I don't know, the dart gun sounds like a lot more fun. My desk is in the Accounting office, and as dull as that sounds, we do have fun. In that same situation of needing to get someone's attention when they've got headphones on we've been known to throw foam balls at each other. Bonus points if you can make it land on top of whatever they're working on without actually hitting them. :hehe:

We lob a plush Sonic The Hedgehog around. The goal is to have it appear as if dropping from the sky directly onto the keyboard. But you have to toss it from your chair over the cube walls. Which makes it challenging when targeting anyone who is not in an adjacent cube.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I got frustrated last week with my director trying to get him to give me a time he would be available for all of us to sit down and go over outstanding tickets from our helpdesk. He kept putting the responsibility back on me to look on his calendar and pick a time he was open. I didn't want to do that because I figured there were a lot of things he had going on that he wasn't putting in his calendar and he would know best what time would work for him as the rest of the server guys are pretty open.

Well this week I do exactly what he says and pick a time on his calendar when he's free to meet again... and he declines the meeting without proposing a new time. The exact situation I was trying to avoid last week.
:fuckoff:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coredump posted:

I got frustrated last week with my director trying to get him to give me a time he would be available for all of us to sit down and go over outstanding tickets from our helpdesk. He kept putting the responsibility back on me to look on his calendar and pick a time he was open. I didn't want to do that because I figured there were a lot of things he had going on that he wasn't putting in his calendar and he would know best what time would work for him as the rest of the server guys are pretty open.

Well this week I do exactly what he says and pick a time on his calendar when he's free to meet again... and he declines the meeting without proposing a new time. The exact situation I was trying to avoid last week.

Keep incrementing the time by an hour and submit over and over. Eventually he'll get the message.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"I don't think this address will work for a shipping address"

Why not? The address validation software says it should be STE not Suite, but other than that...

Next ticket:

"This part doesn't show as being in warehouse 3"

Okay, I can see that. Do you have any other parts that aren't showing up in warehouse 3, so I can try to find something common between them that is causing this issue?"

"Many."

SO PROVIDE ME WITH ONE!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"I don't want to do what you're asking, and I think that being obtuse will get me out of doing it, but fail to realize that I'm still going to end up doing this but just look like a dickhead while doing it."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Coredump posted:

Use the findtime outlook plugin if you can.
https://findtime.microsoft.com/

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Coredump posted:

Send an separate meeting invitation for every 30 minutes, each for as long as the meeting is. Ignore overlap with existing activities.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Coredump posted:

Just close the tickets and see if anyone complains.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

This pretty much set the stage for how today has gone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Got my first convert this PDF to excel request. Was URGENT NEED THIS IN 15 MINUTES TIA from CFO.

I was able to successfully explain it by PDF is an image format that can support text, this is unfortunately just an image. I pointed out that the image was slanted and of the 127 pages they were slanted at different angles so someone scanned this without a feeder or their feeder was broken so they hand scanned it (actually you can see where a staple was removed). I linked to licensing on OCR software and that it wasn't very reliable.

I didn't hear back all day CFO has been in meetings. Turns out she emailed the person that sent it to her asking for the excel file and hasn't heard back yet and doesn't want OCR. It came from an external source so no chance of a user kicking it back at me. Very surprised how smoothly that went I was fully expecting a wave the magic wand or requesting me to manually do it.

I'm not even sure why they needed excel no math was being done but money was involved.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

When the only tool you have is Excel, everything looks like a spreadsheet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh apparently they're cutting off the power in our building this weekend. The office manager has known this since the 7th but we only found out because somebody in the customer support department noticed a sign had been put up in the lobby and figured we should know.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh apparently they're cutting off the power in our building this weekend. The office manager has known this since the 7th but we only found out because somebody in the customer support department noticed a sign had been put up in the lobby and figured we should know.
I thought I posted about this in one of these threads and you responded to it.

e: Yeah, this one

Inspector_666 posted:

anthonypants posted:

ConEd is going to be shutting down power to our New York office for 24 hours over Easter weekend, what the gently caress
Do they say the area this will be effecting? Because I could totally see whatever letter they sent being totally ignored by our office admin.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 12, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

I thought I posted about this in one of these threads and you responded to it.

Yuuuup, I had it in the back of my mind but made the foolish, idiot mistake of assuming if our building was included somebody would tell us in a timely fashion.

Thankfully we switched everybody over to laptops in the past couple of weeks and we don't have too much on-prem stuff to deal with, but I just know somebody from the finance department is going to throw a shitfit about being unable to access stuff over the weekend even though they are going to be explicitly told about this.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
So i got a job for a Jr. systems admin which required "basic knowledge of Windows server" which I do have but most of my experience comes from being an IT technician and dealing with hardware (which I told them on the interview). Now after I've started they told me I'm supposed to pass 2 MCSE (Exchange, Skype for Bussiness) exams in like 4 months, which seems a bit retarded to me as I've no previous cert in that area or experience with either. This seems hosed up to me, is it considered normal or are they expecting too much?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Getting an MCSE in Exchange is a huge waste because certainly no decent organization is running that on prem in TYOOL 2017 and O365 Exchange administration could be taught to a toddler.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

milk milk lemonade posted:

Getting an MCSE in Exchange is a huge waste because certainly no decent organization is running that on prem in TYOOL 2017 and O365 Exchange administration could be taught to a toddler.

So edgy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
What's edgy about that?