Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cleretic posted:

Well that's definitely not gonna work.

It will. This is how my dad got off the AEC books. They won't prosecute you and just put it in the too hard basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so what should perhaps be my course of action going forward in responding to the VEC handing me an 'invalid response to apparent failure to vote'? Because apparently the response of 'I did vote, here's when I sent it and where I sent it from' is not a valid or acceptable response (at which point I'm wondering what IS acceptable because what the gently caress else could I provide).

I'm quite capable of paying the fine, but I'd really prefer not to have to pay monetarily for somebody else losing my vote.

Become angry and demand to know where you vote went. Are you telling me you LOST my vote and it didn't count?

Demand to know how they mucked up and why they are blaming you for their mistake. Loudly. To your local paper even.

"AEC can't even track or count the votes they actually received"

Loudly recount the location of the booth you voted and insist on disciplinary action being taken against the staff who worked there for having the sheer blundering incompetence of losing track of your vote. Do they even know how to use a ruler?

Basically behave like a 70 year old pensioner.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 12, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Half an hour till Mark Latham's outsiders, today's topic: domestic violence myths.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DancingShade posted:

Become angry and demand to know where you vote went. Are you telling me you LOST my vote and it didn't count?

Demand to know how they mucked up and why they are blaming you for their mistake. Loudly. To your local paper even.

"AEC can't even track or count the votes they actually received"

Loudly recount the location of the booth you voted and insist on disciplinary action being taken against the staff who worked there for having the sheer blundering incompetence of losing track of your vote. Do they even know how to use a ruler?

Basically behave like a 70 year old pensioner.

Okay, if there's one thing I CAN do it's get loving mad. I am on board.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Half an hour till Mark Latham's outsiders, today's topic: domestic violence myths.

:stare:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

They've improved the camera angle at least.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
are there any viewer/listener numbers available for his tripe?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
896 at the moment.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
lol at the halal holiday egg in the peppa pig mug

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Current topic: male victims of domestic violence.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
A few pages old but:

Quantum Mechanic posted:

You can think talking about smashing capitalism is ineffective (it's not that ineffective in my local area, people are way less attached to capitalism than the Liberals would have you believe) but the Greens need to reorient to some radical and visionary policy. Free education, basic income, re-nationalise the job service, direct Federal investment into publicly-owned renewable energy. Stop privatisation, fund public housing, etc. This small-target bullshit on market mechanisms for climate, tune the levers on taxation a bit and oh introduce a sugar tax is just simply not working and we're going to keep slowly bleeding away.

You are right that the Greens need to reorient themselves and those are all good policies. But trying to sell them by talking about smashing capitalism or whole sale economic system change is doomed to fail in my opinion. It'll scare people off without them engaging with the policy. Just talk about why they are good policies, what they are fixing, and just leave the end goal (smashing capitalism) out of it.

You don't start off a convo with people in your local area by saying "Hey, what do you think about the idea of smashing capitalism?" do you?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No Mark don't talk about Rosie Batty again....

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Is that being filmed on an iphone? I reckon they need a first year comms student to help them get better images.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I get very suspicious about basic income when I hear people like Elon Musk talk it up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Is that being filmed on an iphone? I reckon they need a first year comms student to help them get better images.

My guess would have been "the webcam on a 5 year old notebook".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Now we are talking about Easter Eggs and cultural marxism.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Has he blamed aliens in this conspiracy theory yet?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haught posted:

I'm an active member of VYG and it's fine enough, people have a wide range of views and disagreements. I think the comparison to young Labor is pretty dumb and is just the same tired NSW vs VIC stuff that is universally loving terrible no matter which side it's coming from. The more salient warning would be to not expect that much from youth politics because youth politics.

literally every interaction I've had with members of VYG (at least the ones who participate in AYG) has run the gamut from infuriating to toxic, but YMMV

I am being perfectly honest when I say that not only do I generally have better interactions with Young Labor, I managed to spend a more congenial week on prepoll with a young member of the Taliban Right of the NSW Libs. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess.

Periphery posted:

A few pages old but:

You are right that the Greens need to reorient themselves and those are all good policies. But trying to sell them by talking about smashing capitalism or whole sale economic system change is doomed to fail in my opinion. It'll scare people off without them engaging with the policy. Just talk about why they are good policies, what they are fixing, and just leave the end goal (smashing capitalism) out of it.

You don't start off a convo with people in your local area by saying "Hey, what do you think about the idea of smashing capitalism?" do you?

True but on the other hand it's also important to recognise that it is/should be part of your platform. That might not be how you market it, but at some point you have to have a foundational statement that makes clear that you are opposed to capitalism, or your policy is going to liberalise. Remember, LR launching made Richard bumblefuck his way into a press release saying the Greens don't oppose capitalism - it revealed a very real schism in the party, and not talking about it is just shadowboxing over policy.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 12, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

I get very suspicious about basic income when I hear people like Elon Musk talk it up.

It is an opportunity to pay people less if they receive some form of assistance. You can't fault welfare programs for lovely businesses though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

It is an opportunity to pay people less if they receive some form of assistance. You can't fault welfare programs for lovely businesses though.

You could absolutely blame all those job network parasite companies that don't do poo poo for the unemployed as being a direct outcome of bad welfare policy.

Although if the desired outcome was to actually direct taxpayer money to your mates and their job network companies then I guess you could say those policies are working as intended.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Basic income isn't just a left wing thing. Milton Friedman was a proponent of basic income via a negative income tax.

The haute bourgeoisie, like Musk, are beginning to understand that if they don't institute some form of universal basic income eventually they'll be hung by the mob.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Elon Musk, like Ford, understands that if people can't afford to buy things because they're destitute then you also can't sell them things and your business / industry folds.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Much like Ford he also understands you need to crush all dissent and make sure your workers can't organise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A true leader and visionary.

He has Machete on his side too so he's pretty unstoppable.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

literally every interaction I've had with members of VYG (at least the ones who participate in AYG) has run the gamut from infuriating to toxic, but YMMV

I am being perfectly honest when I say that not only do I generally have better interactions with Young Labor, I managed to spend a more congenial week on prepoll with a young member of the Taliban Right of the NSW Libs. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess.

VYG isnt perfect sure but people on both sides are really working hard to remove some of the toxic interstate split atm which I think is important to support.

As to prepoll that's just normal though, personality differences are usually more draining than idealogical differences. Last federal I became close personal friends with the Labor candidate and literally had a fling with someone working for Glenn Lazarus (lol). I was in regional Qld at the time so there wasn't the same animosity between Labor/Greens an who has the energy when there are Australian Liberty Alliance scumbags around to have a go at.

Haught fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 13, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/852283168845516800

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sure why not? And bleaching the great barrier reef will ward off alien invasions from Mars.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

DancingShade posted:

Sure why not? And bleaching the great barrier reef will ward off alien invasions from Mars.

Just ask anyone with a mortgage on a place where the mine dried up how good they've got it. They love it.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

From the Crikey Worm this morning:

quote:

APEX PREDATORS EXTINCT, BUT RACE BAITING LIVES ON

Remember the Apex gang, an organised criminal enterprise of Sudanese youth that has terrified Melbourne for more than a year, rioting in the streets at the Moomba festival in 2016 and 2017? It does not exist. And it never did, at least in that form.

Said The Age: "The so-called Apex gang is effectively dead, and was never a predominantly foreign or ethnic group of offenders, according to Victoria Police."

Here is Victorian Police Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton yesterday giving evidence to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Migrant Settlement Outcomes, as reported in the ABC: "Predominantly, a large cohort of that gang was in fact Australian-born offenders ... We have charged the leaders of that gang and imprisoned them ... We would call them a non-entity in terms of a gang."

But the Herald Sun, which has run very hard on the Apex gang in the past year, reported the story somewhat differently. There was no mention of "Australian-born offenders", and Patton's statement that the leaders of the gang had been imprisoned has somehow morphed into migrant criminals being deported: "Senior police today told a federal committee investigating the settlement of new ­migrants that key Apex leaders were now behind bars or had been booted out of Australia." And the Hun closed out its story with some statistics about an increase in the number of Sudanese migrants involved in crime, despite Patton's (unreported) assertions that the Apex gang never comprised a majority of Sudanese migrants.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hiddenmovement posted:

The Apex gang have scared the poo poo out of a tonne of people. There have been problems with previous immigrant groups in the past, but usually those guys were content to deal drugs and hide in the shadows, and while illegal, Mick Gatto and his mates had the good sense to keep the public out of their bullshit.

Apex are just thugs that break into peoples homes, threaten their children, steal their cars, ramraid, joyride, incite riots in public places, and seem to enjoy saying 'lmao irl G2A get rekt' to mainstream Australian culture. That poll is a reaction to that. I don't think the left has a strong argument to make in response either. Multiculturalism has worked well in the past in Melbourne precisely because the most threatening it ever got to most of the community was a new type of restaurant opening up around the corner. What do you say to people who are experiencing 3am home invasions from a very specific ethnic group?

I've seen African guys set upon people on the steps of the town hall for *literally* no reason at all. I saw a rolling brawl at Southbank once. There's been lots of CCTV footage in the media showing them in scraps, including one where they jumped a couple of Carlton players. They trashed a restaurant at the St.Kilda foreshore the other day. I myself have never had an issue with any member of the African community but there's a handful of them out there loving it up for the rest in the most insanely visible way possible. That element is looking for attention, they are getting it, and it's reflected in the terrifying rise in the white nationalist vote you see above.

Gay Picnic Defence posted:

The media attention has certainly raised their profile and increased their notoriety but to say the media created them is nonsense

:lol:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 13, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Hands up who wants to watch a boiled ham vox pop people in the Inner West about Trump? It's six and a half minutes of Latham so get your tissues and lube and get ready to :circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWTkSzR3fU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pass

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

Hands up who wants to watch a boiled ham vox pop people in the Inner West about Trump? It's six and a half minutes of Latham so get your tissues and lube and get ready to :circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWTkSzR3fU

The pushed question is amazing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

hooman posted:

The pushed question is amazing.

I honestly didn't make it past the calling of bombing Syria (or was it Iraq, I forget - try the cake it's good) a 'humanitarian effort' because :commissar:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish Mark Latham would interview me so I could pull his head off on camera.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I wish Mark Latham would interview me so I could pull his head off on camera.

Would watch.

Can you take him for a ride on your hilbilly-copter and throw him into the sea?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedOzPol/status/852341833141112834

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hey Austhread, quick question. Is it considered politically incorrect to call that one thing Ayers Rock instead of Uluru?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Volcott posted:

Hey Austhread, quick question. Is it considered politically incorrect to call that one thing Ayers Rock instead of Uluru?

It's not what I'd call it but it's still one of the official names for it and is heavily used.

Climbing it, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Only old white men call it anything other than Uluru. Also, no climbing. :colbert:

• Locked thread