Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Uncle w Benefits posted:

How is Nier Automata?

People say its good but its a Taro Yoko game so its also dumb and gross. He also manages to write plots less straight froward than a Souls game with even less to go on.

Regardless, I don't think its anything like any From game so don't go into it looking for a similar experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

School Nickname posted:

They actually had to nerf the angels because you basically had to be Jesus Yamato to survive them out in the open. But they can be killed permanently, just find the summoners.

e; Also loving LOL did you even find Black Gulch? Blighttown and ds3 Anor londo condensed into a single medium sized room lol.

Yeah black gulch was awful but it was like 2 minutes long.

I'm still waiting to find the summoners for those annoying angels. Their sound effect pisses me off more than the damage I'm playing this poo poo on mute at this point.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm never going to get to play blood borne. Is there a playthrough you guys reccommend?
I should check the LP archive the demon souls one was really good. I'm looking for something thorough

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The first summoner is just along the path. You only miss it if you're messing around on side paths.
second is best done dropping off next to the shack onto a root. Third is spiral up over the buildings

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm not sure how thematically tied together your guys' Midir fights were but I beat him on the bridge with a final visceral attack. Then, after dozens of tries getting his patterns down, I beat him with another visceral . I don't even know what to do with myself. (other than go after GAEL :getin:) That was a theatrical as gently caress ending to a battle.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's a scripted stagger

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Internet Kraken posted:

People say its good but its a Taro Yoko game so its also dumb and gross. He also manages to write plots less straight froward than a Souls game with even less to go on.

Regardless, I don't think its anything like any From game so don't go into it looking for a similar experience.

I don't expect it to be Souls like, I know nothing of Taro Yoko games, I finished Zero Dawn, and I'm already tired of DS 3, again :(

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Taro is cool but his games have infamous gameplay and obtuse metanaratives. This latest one is also done by Platinum because he's literally not allowed by the publisher to make bad games anymore.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is the narrative more complicated than 'sexy anime waifu Androids are fighting evil Androids to take over the world again from the evil Androids so humans can live on Earth again?'

That sounds pretty straightforward to my ear.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Is the narrative more complicated than 'sexy anime waifu Androids are fighting evil Androids to take over the world again from the evil Androids so humans can live on Earth again?'

My dude that's barely scratching the surface. That said, even so Nier Automata's story is pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

hampig posted:

Well this is 30 more stats than most builds use so you'd hope it does some more damage.

More usually it's going to be min stats/60 faith or 40 physical/40 faith using it as a buff weapon, and buff builds could probably do with a weapon like this since they've been pretty much outclassed since launch.
You know, that was the case for Hollow builds, also. Except Faith is an actually useful stat because it doubles as a spellcasting stat, and Luck was basically useless except for drop-rate. I honestly don't understand what From was thinking.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silhouette posted:

Bro

It's Iudex, pronounced "Joo-decks"

It's latin for Judge

gently caress. :doh:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

"""""Humans""""""
I haven't played automata yet but I know what happens in Neir and that is all about betraying expectations and pulling the curtain off things

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Most issues with Dark 2 can probably be laid at the feet of the first director who took forever and didn't get enough done. Tanimura did what he could in the time he had, then got a chance to improve things in the DLCs (which were way higher quality) and Scholar.

Miyazaki clearly thought he did fine considering they basically made Dark 3 together. But unlike the other games 2 had some development issues and the "B-Team" had to pull the game out of the shitter and finish it quickly. There are lots of great things in it that make sense as good ideas that got overshadowed by issues like "you didn't finish the Dragon Aerie yet, idiot."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This latest one is also done by Platinum because he's literally not allowed by the publisher to make bad games anymore.

that's kinda misrepresenting things, considering that the previous games he worked on were made on shoestring budgets with staff that didn't know what they were doing. it's just that they were responding to the feedback that Nier 1 had a good story but bad gameplay, really.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Augus posted:

gently caress. :doh:

If it makes you feel better, it's not pronounced judex either, it's more like yoo-dex.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Uncle w Benefits posted:

His plots are a lot more convoluted than they appear on the surface. The metanarrative of his series revolves around a magical flower that poisons the world getting transported through time in a series of convoluted events.

The one consistent thing in all Yoko games is that whatever you think you're doing is good isn't and he's gonna make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for it. Also some children will die, probably because of you. I dunno what happens in Nier 2 but if I had to guess at least half the robots you fight are peaceful and you just haven't downloaded the latest Microsoft update to translate their screams for mercy or something.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm never going to get to play blood borne. Is there a playthrough you guys reccommend?
I should check the LP archive the demon souls one was really good. I'm looking for something thorough

If you're just looking for a fun run, then Slowbeef's LP of it is pretty good. Its great if you want to experience the game through the lens of a first time player that has no loving clue what is going on. He has guidance to find pretty much everything in the game but isn't spoiled on what it all means.

I'm not sure what informative LPs are good though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's pronounced 'wooster'.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

hampig posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's not pronounced judex either, it's more like yoo-dex.
Yeah the Latin J is more of a Y sound and is written semi-interchangably with I. I'm not sure how the J/Y sounds split but yoodex at least sounds closer to judge than loodex.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nakar posted:

Consider for a moment that Aldia kept talking about how Flame is a false promise of life and safety, and how unnatural it is. Now consider that he's the Scholar of the First Sin. The First Sin itself is never explicitly stated but it definitely seems that Gwyn is the one who committed it, either by trying to rekindle the First Flame, linking humanity to it as a power source, or possibly just for claiming the First Flame at all. In any case, Gwyn's sins were compounded by his inability and unwillingness to let go of the power he'd claimed and the world he'd built. Dark Souls 3 is thematically all about letting go, giving up, and accepting things.

Hell, three of Gwyn's kids are in this game and we can kill all of them except the one Aldrich beat us to. The whole game builds up his monumental failure... and yet, when you get to phase 2 on Soul of Cinder, you do feel a little something for all the exalted lords from Gwyn on whose will kept the fire lit. But it's time to usurp the Flame and take your place as Lord of Hollows, ruler of the world move on.

I always figured the first sin was when the Witch of Izalith attempted to create another first flame and accidentally created chaos, and birthed demonkind. Aldia's got a very chaos look about him.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Internet Kraken posted:

His plots are a lot more convoluted than they appear on the surface. The metanarrative of his series revolves around a magical flower that poisons the world getting transported through time in a series of convoluted events.

None of that matters at all to understanding the plot, characters, or themes in any of his games. Drakengard 1, 3, Nier, and Automata are all effectively standalone games with relatively straightforward but interesting plots that play with mixing narrative and gameplay, at least in the Nier games.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
There's a series of Nier games? Is automata the third iteration?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Uncle w Benefits posted:

There's a series of Nier games? Is automata the third iteration?

It's complicated. To put it simply: Drakengard 1, NieR 1, and NieR: Automata are vaguely connected in terms of their stories, but you don't need to play any of the previous ones to fully comprehend NieR: Automata's plot.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Just the second. But neir is technically the sequel to the joke ending of drakenguard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Part of me is wondering if the First Sin might actually be referring to Gwyn branding the early humans with the darksign.

EDIT: Though I think the reading of the First Sin as the chaos flame still makes more sense.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 13, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So far just doing Dreg Heap+First part of Ringed City it's leagues better than AoA. Even just going through some ashy ruins has been as fun, if not moreso, than the completely boring snowfields of AoA. AoA didn't have a single memorable encounter before the final boss. Though I will admit demon S&O weren't particularly original, about equally as fun as Sif+Guy in AoA. I spent a solid hour last night slowly getting past that archer summoning rear end in a top hat. I killed him and assumed he was a one-time mob, but then I got pushed off a ledge by some loving hollow and whoops, had to run the gauntlet again.

I love the Ringed City's design though. Very Anor Londo-esque, but has a lot on unique enemies and the layout feels good. Might be my favorite zone in DS3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of, do we still not know where the darksign actually comes from? You'd think they'd have cleared that up by now. I imagine the curse of the undead is not an actual curse like the kind that's put on you, it just happens naturally to some people... but why??

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of, do we still not know where the darksign actually comes from? You'd think they'd have cleared that up by now. I imagine the curse of the undead is not an actual curse like the kind that's put on you, it just happens naturally to some people... but why??

It's the brand that Gwyn placed on humans to seal away the darkness within them

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That's brought up in the DLC.

The Darksign turns out to be a seal of fire Gwyn cast on the early pygmies to seal away their humanity. So Gwyn is responsible for pretty much every gently caress-up in the Dark Souls universe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well it took them long enough to come up with a reason! But okay, I'll accept that.

Someday I will play these drat DLCs. If only they weren't balanced for the end of the funnel the game feeds you into when you reach the castle. Give me chunks before the castle, dammit!! :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

Its strongly implied that the dark sign is a literal curse placed on men by the gods. The Ringed Knight set has this description;

quote:

Malformed black armor of the Ringed Knights. The armor of early men was forged in the Abyss, and betrays a smidgen of life.

For this reason the gods cast a seal of fire upon such armor, and those who possessed them.

In the original Dark Souls, you needed humanity to revert your hollowing. Humanity was the essence of the Abyss, which the gods feared. So I think the conclusion that can be drawn is that the dark sign seals away the humanity of the one cursed with it. Without humanity the victims of the dark sign revert back to the original state of man; a hollow.

What's strange to me is that the dark sign is tied to the strength of the first flame. When the first flame begins to dim, the dark sign begins to occur more frequently. But if the dark sign was placed on humans by the gods, why does it become more prominent when the gods power begins to wane?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 13, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The implication is that it's a symptom of the seal the ancient Lords put on humankind to restrain the power of the Dark Soul. By binding the Dark Soul's real power using the First Flame, humans can die like normal, and the weird Abyss poo poo you see throughout the games can't take shape. When the First Flame begins to fade in power, the seal also weakens, which is why the Darksign appears: it's literally the "dark" of the Dark Soul breaking out of the flame-imposed barrier surrounding it, returning humankind to its natural (undead) state.

Internet Kraken posted:

In the original Dark Souls, you needed humanity to revert your hollowing. Humanity was the essence of the Abyss, which the gods feared. So I think the conclusion that can be drawn is that the dark sign seals away the humanity of the one cursed with it. Without humanity the victims of the dark sign revert back to the original state of man; a hollow.

I think it's the opposite, actually. Remember, the way you regain your human state in DS1 is by burning humanity at a bonfire: you're destroying the Abyss within you, which is why you move away from being a Hollow.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 13, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

Yeah the Latin J is more of a Y sound and is written semi-interchangably with I.

i am about to make some mounds to get that sweet warmth pyromancy. do i need to level it up to a certain degree? is mound-making even viable fun anymore?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...so how is the seal a "fuckup"?

It sounds to me like humans are the fuckups here, being deranged, shriveled up psychopaths who can only establish something resembling civilization while under the effect of a godly seal.

DS2 was Buddhism: The RPG

With DS3 we now have:

Hobbes Was Right: The RPG

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 13, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CJacobs posted:

Well it took them long enough to come up with a reason! But okay, I'll accept that.

I mean Aldia more or less said the same thing in DS2, just without explicitly stating that the dark sign was what gwyn used to seal away the darkness in humans, rather than a consequence of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alf_pogs posted:

i am about to make some mounds to get that sweet warmth pyromancy. do i need to level it up to a certain degree? is mound-making even viable fun anymore?

Mound-making is just like normal invasions most of the time. The only difference is that your victory condition can be fulfilled by killing the host or a certain number of phantoms. This just means that your invasions will end early as hosts tend to die before their phantoms do. Not an issue if all you care about is getting your reward though. If you mean mound-making via a summon sign, nobody is every gonna summon you with one unless they're trying to gank you.

Also warmth is pretty garbage in this game.

Tallgeese posted:

It sounds to me like humans are the fuckups here, being deranged, shriveled up psychopaths who can only establish something resembling civilization while under the effect of a godly seal.

You have to think back to the original DS1. Before the fire surged and souls of lords were found, there was no civilization. Humans didn't achieve culture because of Gwyn; they found their own soul, the dark soul. But unlike the other 4 lord souls, the dark soul is tied to the Abyss. As it is opposed to the fire that the Gods draw strength from, they sealed that power away. Without the power of the dark soul, humans revert back to what they were originally; hollows.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 13, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to think back to the original DS1. Before the fire surged and souls of lords were found, there was no civilization. Humans didn't achieve culture because of Gwyn; they found their own soul, the dark soul. But unlike the other 4 lord souls, the dark soul is tied to the Abyss. As it is opposed to the fire that the Gods draw strength from, they sealed that power away. Without the power of the dark soul, humans revert back to what they were originally; hollows.

That does not actually contradict anything I just said: literally everything we know about hollows suggests that they really don't achieve something resembling a thriving civilization.

The closest thing is Londor, and we have no idea what that looks like.

I'm not really convinced the Dark Souls stops hollowing either. If anything the Dark Sign does!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 13, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 was Buddhism: The RPG

With DS3 we now have:

Hobbes Was Right: The RPG

Humans were fine and were set to inherit the world after the gods, it was the gods who were afraid of the dark and wanted their age of fire to continue on indefinitely so they hosed up the natural order of the world.

Basically all of human civilization and existence we see in the games is a false reality created by the gods and what form human civilization would have taken when they were set to actually inherit the world is impossible to know.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

We do know: Oolacile, circa Artorias of the Abyss.

For all the talk about how good that DLC was, a lot of people seem to forget its entire premise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Uhm. Yeah I played through it 3 times and I'm not sure what you are referring to at all.

Both the gatling gun in old yharnam and the amigdala lasers in unseen village are pretty much exactly like the angels in the ds3 dlc. :v:

Its more of an obstacle and a stage hazard than an enemy. Pretty easy to figure out I thought.

veni veni veni posted:

Dreg heap is the single most unenjoyable part of any souls game. It's so thoroughly loving bad I almost just want to call it a day. It's not even the difficulty it just sucks. It's boring, ugly and annoying. Coming off playing AOA I can't believe this is supposed to be the "good" one.

Try running? Its pretty easy and pretty fun IMO. You're NOT supposed to go pick up all those items right now, that's a trap, in case your years of souls experience didn't tell you that already.

Run past, run from cover to cover, get past and find the macguffin you need that kills the angels, then go back and collect the goodies

No way is Dreg Heap worse than Lost Izalith. Its basically Unseen Village 2.0 or Shrine of Amana 2.0 and those weren't all that bad.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

That does not actually contradict anything I just said: literally everything we know about hollows suggests that they really don't achieve something resembling a thriving civilization.

The closest thing is Londor, and we have no idea what that looks like.

I'm not really convinced the Dark Souls stops hollowing either. If anything the Dark Sign does!

You literally use humanity, fragments of the abyss, to revert your hollowing in Dark Souls 1. Hollows can not achieve culture, but Gwyn did not grant early men humanity. They acquired humanity via the Abyss and the Dark Soul. Gwyn feared this and sealed it away, which causes them to revert back to hollows.

Tallgeese posted:

We do know: Oolacile, circa Artorias of the Abyss.

For all the talk about how good that DLC was, a lot of people seem to forget its entire premise.

The Dark is neither good nor evil. It may have elevated man but it can also turn him into something vile. Fire is no different however; remember that the demons are born of flame. A twisted one yes, but as Cornyx in DS3 states the bonfire isn't inherently different.

Fire creates both Light and Dark, two opposing sources of powers, but neither is inherently benevolent.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 13, 2017