Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Spiderdrake posted:

Did they give any sort of timeline for how long til it's out? I keep meaning to grind steam cards for that.

Q2/Q3 is all they've said. I imagine early release in July or August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I'm a lazy sumbitch who occasionally likes to click the screen while listening to books at the computer. This game have some version of that mindless, rarely pay attention play from Diablo 2?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sure. Pet builds are pretty powerful, and there are a bunch of others that you can just hold down a button with.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I ride bikes all day posted:

I'm a lazy sumbitch who occasionally likes to click the screen while listening to books at the computer. This game have some version of that mindless, rarely pay attention play from Diablo 2?

Occultist/Shaman. Enjoy. The class is even called "conjurer"!

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

The Mash posted:

Occultist/Shaman. Enjoy. The class is even called "conjurer"!

I am not some conjurer of cheap tricks.

Well, not yet, anyways. Thanks

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I am not some conjurer of cheap tricks.

Well, not yet, anyways. Thanks

Something like this is a good starting point to aim for:
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-chwuLb

It's well over budget but you can adjust based on +skills as many skills don't scale well above their natural max.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Okay, so something I'm curious about here that I've seen elsewhere: Why not shift 2 points, one on Ground Slam and the other on Oak Skin, to capitalize on +all <class> Skill gear? I've noticed that most of the skills in GD have their biggest growth spurt in the first 2-3 points (and last couple points up to and over caps for many) and the game's also reasonably generous with +all <class> Skill gear.

The ambulatory shrubbery does an awful lot of retaliation damage (which would get a bit of a boost with Oak Skin) and Ground Slam would pull at least a few more attacks onto it and off of the Hell Hound, which is a bit flimsier. I get that this can end up slotting enough random points into relatively unused skills to make a difference in some builds, but it seems a bit more reasonable to do that here.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I last played in 1.0.0.5 and I've been thinking about getting back into this game. I've been thinking about making a 2H Melee lightning Warder (my last run was an ice/physical blademaster). Is the Warder build still viable?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dr_Gee posted:

Okay, so something I'm curious about here that I've seen elsewhere: Why not shift 2 points, one on Ground Slam and the other on Oak Skin, to capitalize on +all <class> Skill gear? I've noticed that most of the skills in GD have their biggest growth spurt in the first 2-3 points (and last couple points up to and over caps for many) and the game's also reasonably generous with +all <class> Skill gear.

The ambulatory shrubbery does an awful lot of retaliation damage (which would get a bit of a boost with Oak Skin) and Ground Slam would pull at least a few more attacks onto it and off of the Hell Hound, which is a bit flimsier. I get that this can end up slotting enough random points into relatively unused skills to make a difference in some builds, but it seems a bit more reasonable to do that here.

The idea behind not doing it is that low-point skills will do less damage than autoattacks from your pet and thus wont be worth it, but I fell asleep trying to play the build so ymmv

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Ya, fair enough.

On that note, I've been doing a hybrid pet/vitality/bleeding conjurer to have a pet-primary character that's still a bit more active and it's been pretty fun. Like, no special gear at all right now and just shredding through Veteran even more easily than my Bomberwoman. I'm aiming for Dying God and as many pet boosters as possible while picking up +Vit/Bleed on the way. We'll see how Elite/Ultimate (and/or Crucible) go; I think having a point in the pets' AE skills might go well with Dying God to distrivute the %stun chance as best as possible, but we'll see.

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 31, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm looking to make my Primal Strike Shaman a bit more active so I don't just hold left click until a room is clear. Is Occultist a good second class for the Curse of Frailty and Blood of Dreeg? Or maybe I should go Nightblade so I get Shadow Strike and Pneumatic Burst on top of all my health regeneration?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
Oh dear gods the Devotions page is the very definition of "choice paralysis."

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah when I first saw it I was like what the gently caress... Do I even do here. So I followed some random guide for a build and never looked back.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Oh dear gods the Devotions page is the very definition of "choice paralysis."

That, and the interface is...very not good.

On top of that it's heavily built around respec scumming, which makes the ultimate build path more convoluted because you have to detour into random bullshit until you get the points you actually want, then spec out of those once you have the necessary affinities to continue on to the constellations you want to spec into.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

That, and the interface is...very not good.

On top of that it's heavily built around respec scumming, which makes the ultimate build path more convoluted because you have to detour into random bullshit until you get the points you actually want, then spec out of those once you have the necessary affinities to continue on to the constellations you want to spec into.

oh I was wondering how some people were getting certain paths.

I wasn't aware of respecing to do it.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Here's a general guideline for building a devotion tree:
1. Before reaching 40 devotion points, take whatever looks good on the way.
2. After reaching ~40 points, you can respec and move towards your endgame spec

There's 4 types of constellations:
- The really terrible ones (some are universally terrible, some are merely terrible for your build) - Example. Harvestman's Scythe, Rhowan's Scepter,
- The ones that are bad but offer a lot of points, typically at least a 1:1 ratio - Example: Lizard, Eel, Hammer, Viper (it is worse than it looks for most builds)
- The low-mid-range ones that are genuinely good - See below
- The high-end ones - Anything that doesn't give points in return. Almost all of these award more stats per point, so the objective is to unlock these.

Here's some examples of things you get for a single point in the outer ring, showing why you want to unlock these as cheaply as possible:
75 DA, 6% melee dodge, 6% ranged dodge (Hourglass)
8% Health (Tree of Life)
30% reduced stun and freeze duration, +4% armor (Obelisk)
+5% attack speed, +280 health (Unknown Soldier)
4% Physical resistance, 200 health (Oleron)
+20 offensive ability, +80% Chaos damage, +150 health (Abomination)

Go to grimcalc.com or grimtools.com to set your devotions, since you'll have to move points around to optimize before applying points ingame.

To start with, figure out which high-end constellation(s) is best for your build. You can often afford two if they share dependencies (like Hourglass/Spear or Unknown Soldier/Oleron).
Then look at what good mid-range constellations are available that is directly on the way to your high-end constellations (ie. require the same colours and offers the same colours).
Then, working backwards, take points in decent low-end constellations that offer bonuses to your damage type or, especially, to defenses. Don't take points in anything that doesn't give at least a 1:1 return unless it is in itself very good or must-have for your build. Don't take point in crossroads except to open up a path, then unlearning. Save crossroads for if you're ever 1 point short of a colour.
Build your way up until you get your high-end constellation(s). Remember that these don't award points for completion, so if there's a bad point off to one side of it, you can skip it
Then take one-point wonders or low-cost gems to fill out. Consider yellow and red crossroads for 1-pointers as they are the best.

Here's some good early constellations:
Blue: Sailor's Compass, Eel (if Nightblade, otherwise bad)
Green: Hawk
Red: Jackal
Yellow: Crane, Panther (if you also need blue)
Purple: Empty Throne

Here's some very strong midgame constellations for specific situations:
Manticore - most of it is garbage but the skill is incredibly strong for every build in the game, take it if you have the colours for it and can make it fit
Kraken - MUST HAVE if you're running a 2h weapon. The physical damage/attack speed components are potentially skippable for some 2h builds but either way, the constellation is very strong
Blades of Nadaan - MUST HAVE if you're doing a pierce-based Blademaster for the Armor Piercing bonus.
Giant's Blood - Some wasted points in the constellation but the skill is good
Targo the Builder - 4 point "spine" is exceptional for health for any build, the rest of Targos is good if you plan on running high armor.
Falcon - Has been nerfed a thousand times so it's not must-have anymore, but if you're running purple/green it's still worthwhile, and the skill is the best looking Devotion skill in the game

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

As an addendum/example of these principles, here's a build that is probably in the top 3 for every single class combo/spec in the game, simply by unlocking three very powerful high-end constellations:
https://grimcalc.com/build/1009-XWpm4U

E: You can even skip the retaliation point in Obelisk and get 5% more HP from red crossroads or 10% elemental resist in a couple of places

The Mash fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Iv been futzing around reading different specs and I can't really find something that looks like I might enjoy it. So far iv been doing two pistol / throwing bombs demolitionist and it's eh.

In other ARPGs iv really enjoyed vacuuming all the mobs together and blowing them up, shooting a ton of projectiles from offscreen, and hitting a mob with a DOT that spreads to other mobs. I also really love builds that are fast moving, so like shield charge or vault from D3.

Any suggestions for what to try in Grim Dawn? I'm fine with respeccing with a trainer to move classes around if needed.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 4, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
The time dilation Arcanist/Demo in the 2nd post has been fun through normal. Push a button, everything in LOS freezes (except bosses) and then your toggled AOE hits and they explode. The ones that don't get fireballed. Then you get a mortar. Then you start calling down meteor swarms.

It can be intensely frustrating on bosses, because the base of the build is the huge negative to fire resists from Flash Freeze. Bosses ignore it completely. Still not terribly difficult as long as you learn when to dodge around for constitution to kick in. The flamecore bolts or whatever it is that gives you Greater Fireburst are crafted at a blacksmith, FYI. Took me a minute to figure that out.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

The Mash posted:

Here's a general guideline for building a devotion tree

Great write-up. This should be in the OP.

Lechtansi posted:

Iv been futzing around reading different specs and I can't really find something that looks like I might enjoy it. So far iv been doing two pistol / throwing bombs demolitionist and it's eh.

In other ARPGs iv really enjoyed vacuuming all the mobs together and blowing them up, shooting a ton of projectiles from offscreen, and hitting a mob with a DOT that spreads to other mobs. I also really love builds that are fast moving, so like shield charge or vault from D3.

Any suggestions for what to try in Grim Dawn? I'm fine with respeccing with a trainer to move classes around if needed.

There isn't a vacuuming skill, but shooting a ton of projectiles from off-screen is easy with a Sorcerer (Arcanist/Demo).
For DoT spreading, a Conjurer (Occultist/Shaman) should do the trick. I haven't played one personally, though, so maybe someone else can chime in.
For shield charging every combination of Soldier/*something* should be viable, so choose the one that looks most fun.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
Remember that you can respec skills and devotions cheap. You cannot respec points put into class mastery or attributes. Don't be afraid to dump all your points into something not on "the plan" if it makes it easier to level.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Also remember that while the T3 constellations have some big numbers on them, sometimes it is just better to grab a bunch of defensive T1-2 stuff and not worry about what you could have if you play 50 star monte and get one of the big fat things. A dead character does 0 dps.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Is DPS calculated from the max damage on a weapon? I had a rifle with something like 10-100 that said it was significantly higher DPS than an equal speed rifle with 30-60.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

FadedReality posted:

Is DPS calculated from the max damage on a weapon? I had a rifle with something like 10-100 that said it was significantly higher DPS than an equal speed rifle with 30-60.

The math in Grim Dawn is eccentric, but a child could work out that the first of those weapons is on average going to do more damage than the second.
It's up to you, the player, to decide whether you want spiky or consistent damage.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

FadedReality posted:

See above, but also, if you were looking at the ingame stats only, "very fast", "fast", etc. actually each cover a number of different attack speeds, so two weapons with the same text-based attack speed might not have the exact same actual attacks per second. You can use Graceful Dusk to check out exact values. But more importantly, what the guy above said.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

kingturnip posted:

The math in Grim Dawn is eccentric, but a child could work out that the first of those weapons is on average going to do more damage than the second.
It's up to you, the player, to decide whether you want spiky or consistent damage.

The problem is that FadedReality said "significantly higher". I assumed that meant the game showed something like 50 more DPS or so.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

GrossMurpel posted:

The problem is that FadedReality said "significantly higher". I assumed that meant the game showed something like 50 more DPS or so.

That's exactly it. I figured it would average out to more but the average of 10-100 isn't that much higher than 30-60 over time with both weapons having a 1.43 attacks per second speed. To me that says +10 DPS if they're using a mean average and I didn't think at level 14 I'd be rolling bonuses that could turn that into a +60 DPS on the same rarity.

Also, math was my worst subject in school :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Finally tried Port Valbury for the first time. I think having it built up as this horrible unfun drudge helped because I was expecting it to be The Floor Is Radioactive Lava: The Dungeon, and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't quite that.

Still, I think throwing myself at it twice is enough for now. Sorry Outcast, you're gonna have to do your own dirty work (til I come back in a higher difficulty).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I want the legendary MI out of Valbury but the place is an utter slog even when you have it "figured out". And the only character I have that can clear it solo is aether/fire. :suicide:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So I finally slogged my way to the finish but I think I was woefully underlevelled and underequipped because it took a good 20+ deaths and 10k's worth of healing/piercing potions to kill the Loghorrean.

I'm running a dual wield revolver Commando, presently level 42

with the following gear
Herald's Mask (level 35, slotted with Ectoplasm)
Herald's Ward (level 35, slotted with Soul Shard)
a couple of green life leech/health regen rings (level 35/37)
Marauder Gloves (level 26, slotted with Antivenom Salve)
Marauder Belt (level 26)
Hermit's Legguards (level 23)
green cuirass (+health, +%physique, +7% armour, 14% pierce resist, level 35)
green shoulders (+12% phys damage, +3%physique, +8 health/second, +8% armour, +3 Cadence, level 38)
green boots (+16% phys damage, +9 physique, +3% physique, +21 offensive, +9% pierce resist slotted with Mark of the Traveller, level 35)
yellow resistant badge of spellweaving (+24%vit damage, +31%chaos damage, +4%exp, +24%fire resist, +27%cold resist, slotted with Corpse Dust, level 32)
Equilibrium

Marauders Justice (slotted with Deathchill Bolts)
Oathbreaker

I'm just having a hell of a time finding decent gear to replace the stuff that should have been replaced many levels ago.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My pointless little crow which I got just to heal me and rarely stun things somehow killed a cthonic hellion that was all alone for some reason when I was running around, and which I wouldn't have even noticed had a legendary not popped out of it. What the hell, crow.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

I'm just having a hell of a time finding decent gear to replace the stuff that should have been replaced many levels ago.

Here's a respec you can do right now that will probably improve your single target damage short term and your overall damage long term:
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-9ncETj

(I think Markovian's Advantage still uses two weapons for pistols, you should check ingame. If it doesn't, it's still quite good, but if it does, it is insanely powerful and must-have for a double pistol build)

Then later you can adjust to end somewhere like here at 85 (adjust for +skills, some skills scale well above their normal cap (usually damage skills) and some don't (usually buffs)):
http://grimcalc.com/build/1009-PLhkKs

Either way, Devil's Crossing sells a solid physical damage pistol at 35 that you can consider switching to over the Marauder pistol.

Otherwise your build needs a bit of luck with guns in particular. There aren't many physical damage pistols that are great, but those that are, are optimized so well, that they make it all worth it. Havoc at 50, Empowered 3rd Company's Revolver at 58, Burrwitch Peacekeeper at 65 and Deathdealer's Sidearm at 75 are all very, very good. Deathdealer's Sidearm in particular is itemized better than any melee legendary in the game.

E: Alternatively, you can pick up a Devil's Musket at Devil's Crossing faction vendor, respec to the Firestrike tree with the 2-hand modifier and reset your devotions to unlock all of the Kraken constellation and absolutely rip apart everything you see for at least 10-15 levels.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh cool, thank you for that.

I actually found another Oathbreaker pistol shortly after making that post, which was +80something damage to my offhand (marauder) and +27 to my main (Oathbreaker) so I stuck it in the main slot and the older Oathbreaker in the offhand. Things are still taking a lot longer to kill than I'm used to though so the next time I play I'm going to respec using that build. Yeah I'll lose the utility and group burst damage of grenado and canister bomb but it looks like that build is far more intended toward burning targets down with speed of fire while they're flailing blind. I'll just have to cross my fingers for decent drops. Man, coming back to this is especially hard after getting a Crusader to level 70+30paragon (in less than two days) and burning down bosses in seconds while tens of thousands of hp regenerate per second and on hit even in my first forays into Torment difficulty in Diablo 3

Respeccing into rifles sounds like it could be interesting, and if I'm reading Searing Might correctly not only does it boost crit damage, but provides an overall damage boost on non-crits? It would certainly give me a reason to use the legendary rifle that dropped from Loghorrean, and the Kraken Constellation definitely looks worth it with all those +attack speed and damage boosts.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, Searing Might is a special total modifier that is applied after everything else and is applied to all damage you do (with Fire Strike), specifically designed to balance 2h weapons better against one-handers. The Kraken mastery is sort of the same. The bonuses aren't of the special Total Damage variety, but the bonuses are ridiculously large compared to every other devotion in the game, specifically to help out 2-handers. The result if you use both is a pretty massive power spike that only great dual-wield gear can outperform.

E: Both of these were introduced/buffed after a long stretch of patches were dual-wield or 1h/shield were always better than 2-handers no matter what.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Has anyone had the whole "Cant start a new character game because you keep looping when you click start" bug? Because i'm having it right now and cant play this loving game because of it.

Disabling cloud storage within the game fixed it huuuuur

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Has anyone had the whole "Cant start a new character game because you keep looping when you click start" bug? Because i'm having it right now and cant play this loving game because of it.

Disabling cloud storage within the game fixed it huuuuur

Good thing you fixed it, but more generally this is a sign of a broken character file

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just watched a 58min speed run of the game and it's pretty funny that even just blasting through without really killing much, he still gets to level 27 or something by the end.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I just watched a 58min speed run of the game and it's pretty funny that even just blasting through without really killing much, he still gets to level 27 or something by the end.

Yeah, quests give significantly more XP than kills.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm hoping this game moves away from the 3 difficulty system which is not great these days. I really hate normal and am curious what their solution would be if they did try to move away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cerepol posted:

I'm hoping this game moves away from the 3 difficulty system which is not great these days. I really hate normal and am curious what their solution would be if they did try to move away from it.

Leveled content.

Extra skill points can just be added up to end w/ same number