Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
The 1.5 update seems to have hosed up the pre-made empires' government types.

I made a small mod that fixes them: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904012480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Chomp8645 posted:

^^^ yeah to clarify here I'm not unlocking them here either. Cheevos can be nice incentives to put a new twist on a thing you like or give you an idea for a new approach. But never should they require you to do play the game in a way that is not fun. To lock every achievement to ironman is just very lol from a design perspective and that's what I'm commenting on. I'll probably never unlock a single achievement for this game and that's ok.

Hmm it seems that you care enough to smugly declare that you don't care about them in an attempt to sound cool and popular.
Whoa, chill out!

eta: what I care most deeply about is spelling "whoa" correctly tbh

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 13, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do habitats produce borders ? If I make an outpost, build a habitat, can I then get rid of the outpost because it's as if I colonized?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Libluini posted:

Some cool thing I just learned: When you have the Curator's insight running, there's a chance you can get a rare tech to upgrade your science ships. You get this fancy new archaeology lab build with Curator-tech, which will give you small bonuses to finding and completing anomalies and a huge 25% bonus to scanning speed.

But are there any system left to get anomalies from by the time you can get that rolling?

It's sort of my peeve with Stellaris at the moment. By the time you can get to the super cool stuff - Curator ship mods, megastructures, etc - it doesn't feel like you can get much use out of them. The galaxy has been surveyed, borders have been drawn up, and Federations signed.

I feel like habitats should come earlier, and maybe the sensor and science stations, too. Even if they start poorly and you have to upgrade them with techs or projects.

It feels like they are Civ 5 Wonders, but you only get them late game and they're things you build to swing your dick around, as opposed to getting any benefit from them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Are people building megastructures? I tried to beeline for it in this last game but it was pretty much over before I even unlocked them. Requiring a rare, late game tech plus ascension perks is a huge pain in the rear end. The costs and time involved are insane. I guess the sensor array is pretty good in a medium or large map, Dyson sphere is not even close to worth it. I haven't built habitats, science nexus or a ring world, but they seem like more of the same. Better off spending the minerals on a fleet that can win you the game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

Are people building megastructures? I tried to beeline for it in this last game but it was pretty much over before I even unlocked them. Requiring a rare, late game tech plus ascension perks is a huge pain in the rear end. The costs and time involved are insane. I guess the sensor array is pretty good in a medium or large map, Dyson sphere is not even close to worth it. I haven't built habitats, science nexus or a ring world, but they seem like more of the same. Better off spending the minerals on a fleet that can win you the game.

Habitats are worth it as they generate a ton of energy or research and don't take a million years to build.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
I did the synthetic evolution and now I'm not having fun with building my population on every square. Has anyone seen a mod that will build robots/synths on every square automatically or with a click of a button?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I guess a let's play of Utopia is due sometime soon now huh? If there's not one by this weekend, I'll start one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Splicer posted:

Yeah it's brutally good. That said I'd like to see the others buffed rather than MoN nerfed, it's the only one that feels like a cool game changer out of the starting bunch. Give the others something on top of/instead of their +numbersness.

Absolutely agreed; the most important gameplay lesson SMAC taught was that high-balance is vastly better than low-balance. Several features of Utopia have explicitly been about making really powerful, cool poo poo, too, so hopefully they'll go down that route when a balancing pass rolls round.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
lol please do not take balance lessons from SMAC

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Speaking of SMAC

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of SMAC

I named my Alpha Centauri colony Definitely Not Planet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Huh. I think achievements might still not be working. At least, I started a new game with robots, built a few more, and no Domo Arigato achivement.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of SMAC

is that the same system layout as in SMAC? the number of moons is right at least

if so it's a shame they didn't use the SMAC names, I guess copyright might've been an issue there though?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

is that the same system layout as in SMAC? the number of moons is right at least

if so it's a shame they didn't use the SMAC names, I guess copyright might've been an issue there though?

It's the same system layout, yeah. Alpha Centauri B is move much closer than it should be to make it a bit more compact, and I added an asteroid belt as it seems reasonable that one would be there to portray the number of planets that were destroyed or stopped from forming by Alpha Centauri B (Hercules).

I could make one with the proper names I guess, I just figured that you'd name the stars and planets once you colonize the system (I ALWAYS name the Alpha Centauri colony Chiron).

e: Or I think it should be right. The manual is a bit vague on whether or not there any planets remaining in the system other than Eurytion (innermost) and Chiron/Planet. But I think that's it, it's hard for planets to form in a binary system that's as close this one.

Just as a heads up this is not what the Alpha Centauri system normally looks like. I'm playing around a bit with making pre-defined solar systems and thought the Alpha Centauri system from SMAC would be a cool place to start, especially as I saw a mod that made me realize that binary systems are possible. Would be cool to add some custom planet modifiers, and custom tile blockers (mind worms and xenofungus) and a few events.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah same, thousands of stupid hours on paradox games, 0 achievements. It's a weird part of paradox culture that I wish would go away but it would some how diminish the sanctity of previous peoples cheevos and they'd flip out.
I'd like a cheevo, but also like to save/load whenever I want or even mod the game or cheat or what ever. A cheevo is a personal matter between a consenting player and game, keep your ironman morals out of it!!

Nah, you see this is just moaning from people.

If you truly did not care for bragging rights or displaying your achievements, and instead feel it's only value is a personal sense of satisfaction of beating a challenge you can just do the task and tick it off on a to-do list sellotaped to your desk. Not having ironman for achievements though does affect people who are OK with admitting achievements are pointless bragging rights, as if you can install a mod that simply unlocks all achievements, or win while using a mod like "Unlimited monarch points and manpower!" then the achievement doesn't mean you actually achieved the task under anything resembling a challenging scenario, and therefore is meaningless.

Theres no reason to ever not have ironman only achievements. Anyone whining about not being able to get achievements due to ironman is actually moaning because they want to be able to show them off to other people in some way, but if ironman wasn't required and you can mod and save scum your way to acquiring them the next to no value they already have would entirely vanish.

I honestly play on ironman on every game ever where it's there. The challenge is more interesting and you can't savescum your way to victory. The only time I haven't done this, was when Xcom 2 was released because they allow you to get achievements without mods and I thought the risk of some sort of glitch screwing me over was high (it turns out i didn't need to reload once).

The counter argument of course is the fact in Xcom 2 I still chased the achievements anyway, but I am far more proud of say my dumb and pointless achievement Frozen Assets (start as novogrod, have 90% control of the white sea, make it the most valuable trade node in the world) than any of my Xcom 2 ones because it actually feels like I beat some sort of challenge that others haven't beat.

Yes it's pure ego stroking, but then again the only reason to complain you can't get achievements without ironman is as you're upset your ego can't be stroked.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah, I don't have friends to brag to about achievements so it can't be that. I think it's just nice to have something pop-up and say you did something neat, it's ego stroking, but I really don't think there's any social component to it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Nah, you see this is just moaning from people.

If you truly did not care for bragging rights or displaying your achievements, and instead feel it's only value is a personal sense of satisfaction of beating a challenge you can just do the task and tick it off on a to-do list sellotaped to your desk. Not having ironman for achievements though does affect people who are OK with admitting achievements are pointless bragging rights, as if you can install a mod that simply unlocks all achievements, or win while using a mod like "Unlimited monarch points and manpower!" then the achievement doesn't mean you actually achieved the task under anything resembling a challenging scenario, and therefore is meaningless.

Theres no reason to ever not have ironman only achievements. Anyone whining about not being able to get achievements due to ironman is actually moaning because they want to be able to show them off to other people in some way, but if ironman wasn't required and you can mod and save scum your way to acquiring them the next to no value they already have would entirely vanish.

I honestly play on ironman on every game ever where it's there. The challenge is more interesting and you can't savescum your way to victory. The only time I haven't done this, was when Xcom 2 was released because they allow you to get achievements without mods and I thought the risk of some sort of glitch screwing me over was high (it turns out i didn't need to reload once).

The counter argument of course is the fact in Xcom 2 I still chased the achievements anyway, but I am far more proud of say my dumb and pointless achievement Frozen Assets (start as novogrod, have 90% control of the white sea, make it the most valuable trade node in the world) than any of my Xcom 2 ones because it actually feels like I beat some sort of challenge that others haven't beat.

Yes it's pure ego stroking, but then again the only reason to complain you can't get achievements without ironman is as you're upset your ego can't be stroked.

How appropriate, a sentient robot posting in the Stellaris thread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of starting systems, has the dev team offered any comment on balancing start systems? In my last mp game somebody started with 18 minerals in their home system. Seems like Sol is the objective superior choice of start systems just because it has so many celestial bodies predefined in it.

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of SMAC

Yo can you share those files? I mean to do the same thing for my next game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taping a bunch of achievements criteria to my desk and manually checking off the conditions as I play is a lot harder than the game doing it for me. Don't put them on the internet, just have them stored internally if it offends others to see stolen valor or what ever.

Also a terrible thing is happening and I don't know why. I liberated a slave world, they are now egalitarian materialists like me. They have no room to expand but like arid planets so I saw one in my borders, colonized it with a synth since it's not my hab at all, then gave them the planet. I checked up on the planet and they are genociding the synth and shortly the planet will have no pops and be gone. Why is this happening??

Also also, habitats are NOT I repeat are NOT replacements for outposts. If you delete the outpost you won't lose the colony, but the hab station only gives tiny tiny border range.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There's two of them actually.

Yeah, just a little bit later I got the second tech. The second one just speeds up surveys, though. I've decided to stay with my trusty archaeology equipment. :v:

Milky Moor posted:

But are there any system left to get anomalies from by the time you can get that rolling?

I'm only playing on 800-1000 star maps, so hell yes. In my current game, about half the galaxy is still completely untouched. But all this exploration-poo poo I keep collecting has taken its toll: The messages about new anomalies are coming in so often I finally broke down and activated automatic exploration on my little fleet of explorers. I'm now concentrating more on filling up the giant holes my wild expansion in every direction has created. Luckily I did some calculations and I think the four sectors I can have are just about enough!

My personal pet peeve by the way is people emigrating from perfect Gaia Worlds to comparatively lovely planets. What the hell guys, was that planet too perfect for you??? (I'm guessing it's a bug.)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Taping a bunch of achievements criteria to my desk and manually checking off the conditions as I play is a lot harder than the game doing it for me.

yeah I love ironman and don't play anything else (except by accident, as I found when I missed out on the neat achievement for infiltrating a lizard planet as humanoids :(), but 95% of people who like achievements aren't doing it for the bragging rights, so there's not much point in making them ironman only

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Or just make two sets of achievements, one with (Ironman) and one without? I mean, possibilities exist.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Popping Land of Opportunity to get people to move into a Tomb World is the funniest loving thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Milky Moor posted:

It's sort of my peeve with Stellaris at the moment. By the time you can get to the super cool stuff - Curator ship mods, megastructures, etc - it doesn't feel like you can get much use out of them. The galaxy has been surveyed, borders have been drawn up, and Federations signed.

I feel like habitats should come earlier, and maybe the sensor and science stations, too. Even if they start poorly and you have to upgrade them with techs or projects.

It feels like they are Civ 5 Wonders, but you only get them late game and they're things you build to swing your dick around, as opposed to getting any benefit from them.

I sort of feel like habitats should come pretty early, but be like size 4 and then there are upgrade techs that expand their size by 4 a level or whatever.

I guess you could even fake this with special tile blockers that looked like outer space.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

letting sectors colonize planets is cool. what isn't cool is that they will loving target a terraforming planet to colonize thus cancelling it. was almost done terraforming a 24 size planet to a Gaia world and these idiots colonized it instead...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yo can you share those files? I mean to do the same thing for my next game.

Sure. I've never uploaded a mod to the workshop before but I think this should work.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904115836

e: don't know how to set one of those two images as the image that will display in the workshop.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 13, 2017

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Also a fun thing to do, start colonies in lovely systems near your enemies and then gift that system to the FE Xenophobes.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
So I just had an interesting bug. I got the Psionic event that unlocks the potential of all pops, but instead of giving it to the race I had vassalized and integrated, it uplifted pre-sentients on one of my worlds that I was waiting to uplift until I got enough trait points to make them worth it. Now I have newly sentient psychic penis-shaped mushrooms instead of chill telepath butterflies.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

If you want a solid unity hose build try out spiritualist+xenophobe+pacifist. You get +20% from pacifist, and can take civics giving you +30% and +1 from farms, and can build temples as well. You could follow splicer's starting build, but you don't need to go grab extra unity buildings from the various trees if you don't want to.

edit: xenophobe also gives you a nice +15% boundary, while basic pacifist also gives you +2 core worlds.

And being a xenophobe, you can run offensive or defensive purge wars, despite your pacifism. Because the best way to bring peace to the galaxy is to kill all the warmongering aliens.

Bulwark of Harmony tradition is great for genocide since you get a hefty rof bonus on defense.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fintilgin posted:

I sort of feel like habitats should come pretty early, but be like size 4 and then there are upgrade techs that expand their size by 4 a level or whatever.

I guess you could even fake this with special tile blockers that looked like outer space.

Exactly what I was thinking.

When I feel like I need habitats - when I'm hemmed in on a few sides and need to face war to expand, maybe into bigger neighbors, and I'm looking for an edge or two - I don't have them.

It's made more annoying by the fact that early-game starbases are monsters, so, you can't really go for early aggression any more. Which means I tend to do nothing until I feel like I have a tech/force advantage to absolutely win, which often goes into the late game (or until most of the tech tree is explored because it's so easy to burn through it), and it's a bit of a slog. But is there any early-game war that doesn't become a nuisance where both sides just inevitably want to white peace it or risk crippling their economy for the foreseeable future?

Like, I just watched my 1.5k Missile 3 corvettes evaporate when hitting a 1.4k station where the defenders only had red lasers. I really don't know how you can do early wars anymore. If my tech is two tiers above them and I've gone over my fleet cap and have Distinguished Admirals, I feel like I should've won that fight.

edit: It'd be nice if Supremacy and/or Domination made early-game aggression possible, maybe.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 13, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

finished a game this morning, turned all my elves into robots and then ate the galaxy
getting the cyborg perk is pretty sweet, and you can even use the genetic engineering tab to give it to all the aliens in your empire, but actually going full synth felt really lackluster. putting aside what i've seen others complain about, you lose the ability to set species rights which means i couldn't change living standards, you can't turn any other race in your empire into synths and you lose the ability to turn others into cyborgs, and you lose the bonus of any species traits you had before, which i guess i should have seen that last one coming but kind of feels off after how cyborg'ing worked

i built a couple of megastructures to try them out
the sentry array actually seemed the most useful? having vision on the whole galaxy was great for planning attacks
the science nexus i didn't have for too long but felt kind of lack luster, by the time i could build it i had gone through most of the tech tree anyway
i only did enough of the dyson sphere to get the +100 energy, by that point i was already bringing in so much i was still gaining energy even with my fleet out of dock, but i could see it being really nice if i hadn't already grown so large

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The AI always seems perfectly capable of taking out my fleet and my starbases with early destroyer navies. :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

Taping a bunch of achievements criteria to my desk and manually checking off the conditions as I play is a lot harder than the game doing it for me. Don't put them on the internet, just have them stored internally if it offends others to see stolen valor or what ever.

Local, per-game achievements are actually a really cool idea and I wish it was something that games did. Just something like a little internal tracker for things you've accomplished in a particular playthrough or whatever.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think the sentry array is maybe the best, because full map vision is really nice if you don't have the game in the bag. Science nexus is a nice increase without a penalty like you'd get off a planet, but if you don't care about unity a hab is probably better. Dyson sphere is pretty meh, in my opinion. Compare it to a ringworld, which costs half as much for 4 gaia 25-pop sections. Dyson's advantage again is not requiring pops and not raising tech/unity costs, but at the point where you've gotten the tech and the cash to build them, you're probably not really worried about 4 more worlds.

I'd like to see them rework the perks so you can get a weaker version of habitats/megastructures with the first perk, then master build lowers costs and allows complete structures. For habitats you could have weaker building from the base perk, and current ones from the upgraded one, for the megastructures only allow first or second stage (at a smaller cost). Add a new weaker version of the required tech like halfway down the tree.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another downside of the Nomadic trait: It makes having a more evenly multi-species empire more difficult. I start a new colony, and multiple pops around my territory will start migrating there, but as the main species is the only one with Nomadic they will migrate faster and fill up the colony before anyone else gets there. I actually have to enable migration controls for my main species to give the rest a chance to spread. I mean, even if I start the colony with another species, those rear end in a top hat birds will fill up the place before the first new pop even finishes growing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hm. You know, I don't know if you can do upgrade habitats to be larger once they're already placed down, but, it might be cool to have them start off full sized, but having 'space' tile blockers (that are more expensive than normal) that's literally you building additional wings of the habitat to remove and needing specific techs to remove some, then another for more, etc.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

No idea how they've gone about setting up sizes and blockers and stuff, I figure it'd be easier to change the basic habitat buildings to be weaker and new techs/perks or whatever unlock upgrades for them. Especially if there is any funny business you have to account for with the world breaker perk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Randarkman posted:

Sure. I've never uploaded a mod to the workshop before but I think this should work.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904115836

e: don't know how to set one of those two images as the image that will display in the workshop.

Sweet deal, much obliged. Time to craft it into a start system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Strudel Man posted:

Huh. I think achievements might still not be working. At least, I started a new game with robots, built a few more, and no Domo Arigato achivement.

Seems to be the case with me too, I just uplifted some cool bugs and didn't get Clever Girl.

• Locked thread