Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think things like the museum pieces, Greek phatoms, and third-tier Mirage 2000s are what we are going to be working with for a while (and I think that's really interesting for an lp). If yooper plans to run this for a while, getting to actually good planes needs to be well down the road. I don't know if passing this up means we should expect him to say, okay here are much better planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Aw yeah please make the Mirage's happen if there's some decent model to be had. Those are some sexy planes.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Can CMANO simulate a trench run? This is important

Forget a trench run, can CMANO simulate submarine launched anti-aircraft ballistic missiles? Let's go maximum Ace Combat!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Listen, after this mission our next move should totally be invade and take over our own island nation. Then use it to stage ridiculous Black Buck-style missions all over the globe :getin:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

I think things like the museum pieces, Greek phatoms, and third-tier Mirage 2000s are what we are going to be working with for a while (and I think that's really interesting for an lp). If yooper plans to run this for a while, getting to actually good planes needs to be well down the road. I don't know if passing this up means we should expect him to say, okay here are much better planes.

I love the old things that have been upgraded to insane degrees, like the Greek Phantoms or Columbian Kfirs. The Kfirs are nuts.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting is Closed

The votes have tapered off. I'll total it up and go from there.

For this mission I'm going to give you guys a timetable and such. We've got a lot going on and I want to be sure I don't gently caress it up.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
While I do love all the plane talk and planning, I think it does bear some caution since we won't know what we'll have access to until later and in addition we will want to acquire new planes based on what theater of operation we will be in. It wouldn't make sense to get a ton of SEAD or COIN planes if we're fighting in the open ocean or getting air superiority fighters if we're attacking ground.

That out of the way yeah the Kfir is pretty awesome. If we're in a crunch we could see if the South Africans still have some Cheetah's laying around too, though our Gripens would be by and large better than those. For F-16's with the serial numbers filed off we could look at the AIDC F-CK-1 Ching-kuo from Taiwan.

For ground attack, if we can't get Tornados or more Phantoms, SEPECAT Jaguars might not be a bad option to look at. For cheaper ground attack options looking into Corsairs or Intruders might not be a bad option, the Greeks, Turks and a few others used them until recently and with the Intruders too, if we get Prowlers as well we'll have some parts interchangeability among them.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
There is no harm in theorycrafting, to be fair.

Given how keen we've become on guided bombs, I don't think we can go for Jaguars. Only India would have them left at this point in a condition that isn't "Ukrainian museum grade", for want of a better term, and they don't have guided munitions on theirs. The Brits don't store retired aircraft for more than a few years and, while the French do, climate isn't kind to them.

Edit: was wrong about the Indian ones, they do have Israeli LGBs.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Strict Parenting is a go.

21 Votes : Strict Parenting
1 Vote : Thor
1 Vote : Hollywood
2 Vote : Surprise

We'll have the light attack aircraft too.

More to come!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Baloogan, where do I report errors in the database? The A-4K is marked as incapable of in-flight refuelling when it was perfectly capable of doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtfHxnJz78E

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Quinntan posted:

I love the old things that have been upgraded to insane degrees, like the Greek Phantoms or Columbian Kfirs. The Kfirs are nuts.

MiG-21-2000!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quinntan posted:

There's also the consideration that she's already 30 years old before the rebuild. Then again, given that Vikrant lasted as long as she did...

If we really wanted to get silly, we could see if India would be willing to part with with a WW2 carrier :black101:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

JcDent posted:

MiG-21-2000!

Yes, but no BVR. Now if only someone put in a Fulcrum's radar and strapped R-77s to a Fishbed...

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1186/

These would be nice as a parting gift.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Our Gripens are adorable :3:.

Saros posted:

How much damage % makes a 4k runway inoperable to China's superfighters? I feel like this might be important.

The J-16s need a slightly longer runway than the J-20s, but both of them need longer runways than Gripens. I don't know the exact cut-off point, but it's somewhere between 40% and 60%. Yooper can also look at the damage and make a GM determination.

If we're lucky, the bombs will set fires and do even more damage. (I have no idea how cluster bomblets set a concrete runway on fire.)

Yooper posted:

I'll do either pre-planned strikes or defined mission patrol areas. Selecting flight paths as you guys see fit is no problem, CTL-Drag is my friend. If you want twenty waypoints with wildly varying altitudes and EMCON's at each, I can do it.

I will do my best to add targets, or drop low priority ones, per your instructions as our ground intel improves. It's really easy to add/drop from a land strike, it's much harder to find and ctl-click like 50 airplanes and hope they can all manual release. Some are too close, others too far, maybe someone is too high. You guys get the idea.

Lemme clarify the terrain following : I'll absolutely do my best. And for this mission it's going to matter.

Ahh, sounds good. I'll keep all that in mind for future missions.

Myself, I don't find Shift-F1 manual targeting too onerous. If the weapon can't currently fire for whatever reason, it'll still be queued up and be fired when it can. Planes will sometimes even maneuver to attack, depending on doctrine/settings. But you do what you can to make this LP work! The production level really is fantastic! :D

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I was wondering about something recently, would it be possibly to carry out a sort of Area 88 style for our merc group where every Goon has their own personal plane instead of assigning Goons to wings of aircraft. It would be horribly inefficient compared to standard air groups but I could see it fitting more of a merc group where every pilot has their own personal plane they fly. Just a thought.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

I was wondering about something recently, would it be possibly to carry out a sort of Area 88 style for our merc group where every Goon has their own personal plane instead of assigning Goons to wings of aircraft. It would be horribly inefficient compared to standard air groups but I could see it fitting more of a merc group where every pilot has their own personal plane they fly. Just a thought.

Area 88 has been brought up, and each plane is already defined to a Goon callsign. Though we don't know who actually fired the missile that killed a bird for example. I'll do what I can to differentiate targets, like a runway for example, but if four gripens all shoot at the same target and it dies I'll have no idea who killed it.

I'm not sure we can take the system beyond where we are right now. It's just beyond the scope. A flight of veteran F-16's is just that, a flight of statistically similar aircraft. Sure one person might be good, but another will be equally as bad. The law of averages and all that jazz.

edit : Once the roster fills you are more than welcome to negotiate a plane trade between goons. Goony Mcgoonface flying the F-16 you've always dreamed of? Find a way to bribe him! Goons love cheetos.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Yooper posted:

Area 88 has been brought up, and each plane is already defined to a Goon callsign. Though we don't know who actually fired the missile that killed a bird for example. I'll do what I can to differentiate targets, like a runway for example, but if four gripens all shoot at the same target and it dies I'll have no idea who killed it.

I'm not sure we can take the system beyond where we are right now. It's just beyond the scope. A flight of veteran F-16's is just that, a flight of statistically similar aircraft. Sure one person might be good, but another will be equally as bad. The law of averages and all that jazz.

Ah that's cool, I wasn't thinking of trying to work out better pilot skills just a more varied aircraft mix for each Goon. Like earlier we were talking about purchasing a whole load of Soviet aircraft but instead of doing that we could ask each Goon here what plane they would like for their pilot, of course not sure how'd that work with a shared income and such. Just an idea I had I guess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

edit : Once the roster fills you are more than welcome to negotiate a plane trade between goons. Goony Mcgoonface flying the F-16 you've always dreamed of? Find a way to bribe him! Goons love cheetos.

Hey Yooper I'll give you a dozen live :frog: if you stick me in an SU-25.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

For future aircraft purchases I'd say our priorities should be, in order:

1. Replacing losses. Self-explanatory. That missing Gripen would be nice to have back, likewise whatever bites it on Operation Entebbe's Lesser Known And Uglier Cousin. Though if any of the SK60s bite it they can stay dead, gently caress those things.
  2. ARMs. This is something that would enable us to act more aggressively. Specifically, something that flies high and fast that can mount them. I'm not 100% sure what the best choice for this would be; Fencers or the Polish Fitters would be an option. I'd have to stare at missile stats to figure out the ideal option.
  3. Bomb trucks. Our two Phantoms can wreck the poo poo out of things, but there's only two of them (:argh:). More aircraft in that vein would be great - something that goes fast and can carry a ridiculous amount of ordnance. I saw someone suggest F111s earlier which would also be amazing, but if any still exist they'd probably require a shitload of maintenance cost. Swing-wings aren't cheap.
  4. A SAM battery. No, really. We should get something to prevent our planes from getting punked on the ground just in case some random Flanker decides to follow us home. We're unlikely to ever find (or afford) a Patriot or S-300, but maybe there's some old Rolands or something out there. It doesn't need to be perfect, but be enough of a threat to discourage assholes we're bombing from trying to return the favor on us.
  5. Napalm bombers. This operation has a very disappointing lack of war crimes and we should remedy this.

Personally I think Mirages are ugly (yeah I went there) but they'd probably help with a fair amount of the above.

As an aside, let me say that thematically I love the idea of a mercenary outfit equipped with a weird mix of modern underused jets and upgraded 60s-80s tech tangling with modern air forces. It leads to some pretty neat "what if"s.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looks like the Egyptian Mirage can carry a decent ARM actually. That'd be sweet.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

power crystals posted:

[list=1]
[*]ARMs. This is something that would enable us to act more aggressively. Specifically, something that flies high and fast that can mount them. I'm not 100% sure what the best choice for this would be; Fencers or the Polish Fitters would be an option. I'd have to stare at missile stats to figure out the ideal option.

Comedy option: MiG-25BN

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
MiG 25s would be lit

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Phi230 posted:

MiG 25s would be lit

Do I have a deal on a MIG-25. It only needs a little work.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Yooper posted:

Do I have a deal on a MIG-25. It only needs a little work.

How much.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
What about some F/A-18Cs with the AGM-88 HARMs?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

koolkevz666 posted:

What about some F/A-18Cs with the AGM-88 HARMs?

Hornets would be a bit too logical I think. They'd kind of take away from the character of the group by virtue of being pretty much ideal for our purposes, really :P. The Rafale would have the same problem imo.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

we should buy some F-15E's

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I'd rather get F-CK-1s and FA-50s for the sheer novelty value. Kfirs are also good.

EDIT: Oh, oh, and F-20s! Don't forget the F-20s!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If we buy hornets it better be Es/Fs with the ridiculous ace combat loadout where it's what, 10 AMRAAMS + 2 sidewinders? And nothing else, ever. Sure they'd have an effective combat radius of "wherever the tanker is" but it'd be great!

But yeah as much as they'd be great I think they'd be kinda too good. Egyptian Mirages would be an option, I wasn't aware they could mount ARMs.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Wow.

So, this is zero hour. I had to get some of the planes in the air to cut down on the video time. I thought the last one was too long, hopefully this'll be just right. I didn't want to miss any instructions, we've got a lot going on with not many aircraft. We still have another 10 aircraft that have yet to launch. So yah, poo poo's gonna be crazy. To start it off I've got a Special Action. We have a 2/3 chance of our ground mercs disabling the Chinese Radar. And, of course, a 1/3 chance they don't and spawn more AAA. Yay!

I got another drunk text from Jack and a photo of some Chinese poo poo. I'll pass it on to you guys in a bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I don't have time to translate all of that. For all I know it's some Chinese dinner menu. Jack said he got it from the Indian ambassador, but they can't verify the authenticity. Nothing changes with the plan.

This strike is getting ready to roll any moment. We've got ground crews sandbagging everything that we can't evac into the fields. We even found some old flak jackets to wear. I hope this plan works otherwise ole Yooper is gonna be buried under a ton of cheap Chinese durandals.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I vote that Area 88 be the official soundtrack

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I vote that Area 88 be the official soundtrack

Supplemented by Ace Combat as needed, because I will not be denied the awesomeness that is the AC4/ACI briefing theme.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If J-20s are on the menu, I'm interested even if it is a dinner menu.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
I'm terrified inside. First time my plan might send imaginary virtual goons to die an imaginary virtual death!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So Google Translate says that intercept is a message to the Lhasa "aviation chief" (airbase/wing commander I assume) RE: "supply problem". The gist I'm getting is that the higher ups are saying that they can't send any more planes and Lhasa will have to make do with what they've got. The J-20's can only be used in case of emergency.

There's an INCREDIBLY worrying bit that Google translates as "nuclear authorization request" surrounded by gibberish it didn't get, so..... um..... :stare:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

So Google Translate says that intercept is a message to the Lhasa "aviation chief" (airbase/wing commander I assume) RE: "supply problem". The gist I'm getting is that the higher ups are saying that they can't send any more planes and Lhasa will have to make do with what they've got. The J-20's can only be used in case of emergency.

There's an INCREDIBLY worrying bit that Google translates as "nuclear authorization request" surrounded by gibberish it didn't get, so..... um..... :stare:

Wait, J-20s only in case of emergency? Does that mean that the IAF flight might only encounter J-16s and JF-17s and WE'LL run into the J-20s?!

Also regarding nukes, what the hell?! China has an official no-first-use policy! Are they saying the IAF might deploy nuclear weapons?! :aaaaa:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crazycryodude posted:

poo poo.

Y'know, I can't help but wonder if the Chinese are going to pull a Belka. For those of you who don't understand my Ace Combat reference basically the idea is "I won't let you win, I'll nuke myself before that happens!"

...On the plus side given the threat of nukes I think we can justify having this on at full blast during the operation. That's...nice?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Given that China got nuked and fell apart I would hazard a guess they no longer follow that policy, if anything we should be surprised that they can field and produce J-20s.

A military failure on their central government's part might make the whole thing cave in if it delegitimatizes them enough.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, J-20s only in case of emergency? Does that mean that the IAF flight might only encounter J-16s and JF-17s and WE'LL run into the J-20s?!

On one hand, if they're already short supplies and personnel, any damage we do will be monumentally helpful.

On the other, if we leave that base able to launch we might constitute 'an emergency', mightn't we?