Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no indication that the dragons were not willing to coexist with humans and gods after they came to be.

Kalameet. He attacks you for no discernible reason. There's no indication he's been corrupted by the Abyss or anything either.

Then again, we know it's possible due to Midir... but then again that just makes Gwyn more right to really want nothing to do with the Abyss.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Joestar posted:

considering that the age of dark is part of the natural order I feel like unnaturally extending the age of fire because your crew happens to be in charge is the definition of selfishness

Yeah, exactly. I mean, maybe Gwyn thought he was the hero, but he's kinda fooling himself.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The thing is that we do have an idea of what happens when humanity breaks free of their seal: it kills on contact, and has the explicitly noted tendency to love doing that.

Now you could say that's because of the seal... but there's really no evidence of that.

There kind of is

Vendrick posted:

Dark was seen as a curse.
Shadow is not cast, but born of fire.
And, the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow.

and

Locusts posted:

And so, she lived in fear. Of the dark, of the things that gnawed at her flesh.
And yet! The Abyss hath yet to produce any such creature!

Where fire resideth, shadows twist and shrivel. But in the Abyss, there are shadows none.
Fear not, the dark, my friend.

It's not the abyss that causes all that nasty poo poo, but the fire cast on darkness. The locusts are a questionably trustworthy source but Vendrick's pretty on the up and up.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Time_pants posted:

So... how significant is the "Improved scaling at high DEX levels"? Is it a significant difference? Is it just specific weapons? Is it so drat good that it might compel someone to dump levels in DEX after 40 as a principal focus of a build? Or is it basically just, "if you have extra points left over, putting them in DEX isn't objectively the WORST option"?

It's not as good value as going high strength since you don't get any two-handed bonus.

On the other hand dex weapons are much more suited to weapon buffs, I'd be more inclined to try out some 40/40 dex/magic builds after the dex/sharp infusion changes.

It's basically a buff for naked katana mans who refuse to stoop to the dishonor of using magic and don't want vit for poise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Kalameet. He attacks you for no discernible reason.

His reason is that he's loving pissed off because the gods and humans have been running around killing all of his friends. The only reason Kalameet is still alive is because he's such a badass that every attempt to kill him has failed miserably. Its not hard to understand why he might have a policy of killing everything he sees on sight now. Kalameet was likely just as content as the other ancient dragons before the war began and he became filled with wrath.

There's plenty reason to believe the dragons would of been fine if not for Gwyn being an rear end. The fact that his son was able to ally himself with them is a pretty huge indication that Gwyn was in the wrong.

Tallgeese posted:

Then again, we know it's possible due to Midir... but then again that just makes Gwyn more right to really want nothing to do with the Abyss.

The funny thing is, there's no real indication that Midir is corrupt. He is very clearly influenced by the dark, but he is still serving his duty as a guardian of the city. He attacks you because you are an intruder seeking the Dark Soul. He still remembers his duty, despite Shira's concern that he will forget it. Now would he have forgotten it eventually, or was Shira simply acting out of her fear of all things dark? The game doesn't say either way.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The series isn't super ambiguous with the fact that Gwyn is wrong either. In ds1 most of this information was hidden to trick you into thinking that linking the fire was the objectively good ending when it really wasn't. Then ds2 and especially SotFS came around and basically outright stated that Gwyn was bad and wrong for what he did. The ringed city just clarified how the gods hosed everything up in explicit terms.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't notice before how all the areas appear to be sinking. In contrast to Lorthic rising up unnaturally on a peak. Like it's absorbing the rest of the world.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

It's not the abyss that causes all that nasty poo poo, but the fire cast on darkness. The locusts are a questionably trustworthy source but Vendrick's pretty on the up and up.

I honestly would just interpret what Vendrick was saying was that people feared the Dark because of what Fire gave them, and in comparison Dark really did not look good.

What he's suggesting is that instead of fearing the Dark, you learn to use it.

Which sounds reasonable, until you realize that nobody seems to have successfully done it.

That's the point of his last dialogue, to suggest you can have it both ways. Except... can you really?

And then they never do anything with this idea.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 13, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there isn't a good outcome for anybody in the dark souls "natural order" really, just a bunch of assholes scrabbling for the power to control different sides of the same coin. which is why the dlc ends with someone else creating a gentle and goodly home that people truly fed up with it can escape to.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

alf_pogs posted:

there isn't a good outcome for anybody in the dark souls "natural order" really, just a bunch of assholes scrabbling for the power to control different sides of the same coin. which is why the dlc ends with someone else creating a gentle and goodly home that people truly fed up with it can escape to.

Filled with peaceful and kind inhabitants, no doubt.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I must be the only person who doesn't make character "builds." I just keep leveling up. I know you'll eventually get out of level range, but RPGs are always about getting more powerful for me.

Whats a good greatsword and ultra greatsword for a beginner at pvping? The Claymore has a nice poke with both one and two handed, but I'm not sure about ultra greatswords. The Fume UGS WOULD have been a favorite but the moveset has been changed to a generic one instead of the awesome set it had in DS2. Its one handed R1R1 was a vertical slash followed by a horizontal slash, and the two handed R2 was that unique attack that briefly blocks attacks during the beginning.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 13, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alf_pogs posted:

Yeah and pretty soon that will be full of murderous crows.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You gotta realize that Dark Souls is basically a Berserk ripoff.

And, just like in Berserk where Griffith is the hero, Gwyn is in the right.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah and pretty soon that will be full of murderous crows.

zombie dragons too

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tallgeese confirmed Nazi Old God apologist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tallgeese posted:

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 13, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

His reason is that he's loving pissed off because the gods and humans have been running around killing all of his friends. The only reason Kalameet is still alive is because he's such a badass that every attempt to kill him has failed miserably. Its not hard to understand why he might have a policy of killing everything he sees on sight now. Kalameet was likely just as content as the other ancient dragons before the war began and he became filled with wrath.

There's plenty reason to believe the dragons would of been fine if not for Gwyn being an rear end. The fact that his son was able to ally himself with them is a pretty huge indication that Gwyn was in the wrong.

Plus I mean, he seems to live there. If some dude just walked into your home dressed in armor and knives you'd probably feel threatened. Especially if he got some rear end in a top hat to shoot you in the arm then started to stab you in the rear end because he could make a sword out of your asscheeks.

Tallgeese posted:

Griffith totally isn't the hero, Rickert is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know you've come up with a "good" build when all 4 pieces of it require twinkling titanite :regd09:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Griffith totally isn't the hero, Rickert Isidro is.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nuebot posted:

Griffith totally isn't the hero, Rickert is.

Ehhh, mmm...

I'll allow it. This one actually makes sense if you think about it.

But I don't think anyone can deny that Guts is absolutely the villain.

Similarly, Dark Souls double subverted itself. First it made you think Gwyn was heroic, then it made you think he was the villain... but if you think about it, nope he was being the hero all along.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you'd think that after 3 games and 6 dlcs that people would at least pick up on one of the biggest, semi-coherent plot threads throughout them instead of thinking Actually, Gwyn Was Perfect And Did Nothing Wrong, yet, here we are

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think the ultimate message of dark souls is that life is a struggle, and the only alternative is boring.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well yeah, it's very Buddhist, especially in 2.

Minus the "boring" part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is berzerk a good read? Always been curious about it since dark souls seems to such an homage to it and I thought that Guts dude was super cool looking when I was a kid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is berzerk a good read? Always been curious about it since dark souls seems to such an homage to it and I thought that Guts dude was super cool looking when I was a kid.

Yep. The art in particular is amazingly detailed and basically pure eye candy.

I mean, heads up, its extremely dark and brutal, but you probably already understand that. I can't recommend it enough to souls fans.

The manga is a masterwork; the original anime is old but okay, the movies are good but have bad CG animation at times, and the new anime sucks pretty bad.

Panels like this just make me stare

:eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

its like where's Waldo for adults

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It's a very good fantasy series that feels kinda similar to a Greek epic. It starts off a bit rough but the art is always pretty great, and the writing is fantastic. It's incredibly violent, and has a fair amount of gratuitous rape. If you can handle Game of Thrones levels of that stuff it's well-worth checking out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it something I can pick up a few trade paperbacks of or it one of those things that spans many years/offshoots...I never really know where to start with comics, especially manga. Never had any luck finding it at a comic store.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is it something I can pick up a few trade paperbacks of or it one of those things that spans many years/offshoots...I never really know where to start with comics, especially manga. Never had any luck finding it at a comic store.

Its a single long run that has been going for like all of Miura's life and will never end.

But you can pick up individual chapters or whatever and just burn through them at your own pace. And there's no offshoots.

Start at the beginning and take your time :)

https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-1-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1593070209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492060442&sr=8-1&keywords=berserk+vol+1

The original anime and movie both cover the early chapters, which are very good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 13, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:hfive: I'll check it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did they nerf the frames on parries at some point? The number of parries I've seen people fail is massive, and I haven't actually been parried in ages. It feels weird.

Please, everyone knows Guts should wear the fallen knight set and use a dark sword.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where.....is the dark sign? Like, on your body? Undead all have the gross veins radiating out from their heart but that isn't a firey ring encircling a black void.

And is there a lore excuse for you having a darksign in DS3 before talking to Yoel, or did they just need an item to let you warp.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Where.....is the dark sign? Like, on your body? Undead all have the gross veins radiating out from their heart but that isn't a firey ring encircling a black void.

dude you don't even want to know

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'll show u my black hole with a fiery ring around it

Tallgeese posted:

And, just like in Berserk where Griffith is the hero,
not to ruin the joke but in case you're serious Griffith summoned a bunch of demons to murder and rape his friends so he could gain the power to create a false utopia, which is only the only safe place in the world because he utterly hosed over everywhere else my dude

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

IronicDongz posted:

not to ruin the joke but in case you're serious Griffith summoned a bunch of demons to murder and rape his friends so he could gain the power to create a false utopia, which is only the only safe place in the world because he utterly hosed over everywhere else my dude

Please the first mass sacrifice was just so he could turn into a demon. It was two sacrifices later that he turned the world into a shithole filled with monsters that only he could save the people from

Also Re: Dark Sign. I think it's different on each undead? Lucatiel's was on her face, those big shrek dudes in 2 had it on their chest. I guess you can assume most hollows just have it somewhere under their clothes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It looks like the rear end is now just a worse longsword with more stat requirements. It's weaker than a longsword when both are raw, at least at base level.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So Archdragon Peak is just future Dragon Eyrie, and the Archdragon itself just future Ancient Dragon, right?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Nuebot posted:

Please the first mass sacrifice was just so he could turn into a demon. It was two sacrifices later that he turned the world into a shithole filled with monsters that only he could save the people from

Also Re: Dark Sign. I think it's different on each undead? Lucatiel's was on her face, those big shrek dudes in 2 had it on their chest. I guess you can assume most hollows just have it somewhere under their clothes.

When she pulled off her mask and she just has a very tame discoloration on 1/4th of her face i got disappointed as hell. I was expecting some elephant man poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a single long run that has been going for like all of Miura's life and will never end.

But you can pick up individual chapters or whatever and just burn through them at your own pace. And there's no offshoots.

Start at the beginning and take your time :)

https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-1-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1593070209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492060442&sr=8-1&keywords=berserk+vol+1

The original anime and movie both cover the early chapters, which are very good.

Bought it, looks sick. Also DLing the series.