Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I almost always take quantity as a second or third idea group. I'll take it earlier if I'm in an attrition heavy place like Africa or India. I love cheaper troops and not having to worry about my manpower. I always take either offensive or defensive first. Usually defensive, because cheaper troops, cheaper forts, and less attrition for you and more for them is great. I took Offensive first for Manchu though, because with their traditions, ambitions, and +1 shock idea, you get +3 shock leaders which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Senor Dog posted:

You seem very invested in this idea group

He can't turn back or he'll only get back 10% of his monarch points

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Senor Dog posted:

You seem very invested in this idea group

it's the best thing about the entire game

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I took quantity as my first military group as a colonizing Portugal. My strategy was to buddy up to everyone in Europe, get rich off colonizing, and then come back with millions of mercs.

Please critique this choice, thanks. Also, if I revert back to the previous patch, will I still be eligible for achievements?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Luigi Thirty posted:

He can't turn back or he'll only get back 10% of his monarch points

:golfclap:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think Quantity is a good first idea pick for a nation that has trouble filling its combat width. If you're Ryuku it's a superb first pick. Flanking is really strong and if your opponent has a larger front line then you are in for a bad time

Beyond that reinforcing a stack is just such a pain and I will do anything to minimize it. 420 pick Defensive every day

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Quantity is in the top 50% of idea groups to pick first as Austria. Problem for it is that there are 8 idea groups, 3 of them military, ahead of it for that pick. I'm not going to shame anyone for using it, especially if their normal playstyle spends a lot of manpower. In general I would give it consideration if you're still small, or have a strong aversion to loans for mercs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mandalay posted:

I took quantity as my first military group as a colonizing Portugal. My strategy was to buddy up to everyone in Europe, get rich off colonizing, and then come back with millions of mercs.

Please critique this choice, thanks. Also, if I revert back to the previous patch, will I still be eligible for achievements?

It's good, Portugal usually isn't blobbing but you still want to steadily increase your force limit to help keep your subjects in line and you're probably not going to create a bunch of states in Africa / Asia (although sometimes you should)

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Mandalay posted:

Also, if I revert back to the previous patch, will I still be eligible for achievements?

You're eligible for whatever achievements existed during the patch you're playing on.

Also regarding ideagroup chat I usually slam defensive without a second thought for my first idea group. Army tradition and morale in the first two picks are amazing and then you get the unit/fort cost reductions shortly after. But as long as you're not picking Naval as your first military idea anythings workable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I feel kinda stupid for asking this, but where do you see your Absolutism level?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's in the government tab, the second one. I think it also shows up in the ages interface.

I used to almost exclusively pick defensive first but I've come off it a bit lately. Its morale boost is great but you can usually (vs the AI) make up for that kind of army quality disparity with the morale advisor and a tech lead (and I haven't been behind in military tech during the opening stages even once since disinheriting came out), whereas offensive's siege boost is pretty monumental for letting you dictate how the war shapes out, plus its leader boosts are more immediately tangible than the army tradition out of defensive. Also since I almost never use forts anymore half of defensive is borderline worthless.

Also it's just mad boring to use the same thing every game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

take quantity if your troops are good and offensive or quality if they're bad

take 15% morale if they're losing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The cool thing about playing Brandenburg is that your Military Ideas pick is really only dependent on whether you want to kill Austria slowly or quickly.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sometimes I wish there was a fun way to play the game in a tall manner, but really this is a map painting simulator.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game simply doesn't have any real objectives or incentives for playing "tall." Like, you can play as a merchant republic and try to build a gigantic trade node and earn loads of money, but to what end?

Not sure that's a solvable problem. At the end of the day, stability and prosperity is boring, and conquest is exciting. This genre doesn't really support any other way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The game simply doesn't have any real objectives or incentives for playing "tall." Like, you can play as a merchant republic and try to build a gigantic trade node and earn loads of money, but to what end?

Not sure that's a solvable problem. At the end of the day, stability and prosperity is boring, and conquest is exciting. This genre doesn't really support any other way.

An achievement where you survive as a one province trading republic for the entire duration of the game would be interesting. But other than a stupid achievement, nah, this is definitely a game about painting the map your color.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Playing one province nations for the entire game is insanely boring. You can participate in early wars, but eventually blobs coalesce around you and you either lose or ally them and sit at speed 5 watching them. I made it to the 1700s as 3pm Brandenburg a few patches back, but even with the bonuses they get the ten dudes you can field just can't accomplish much.

There was also a strategy for the Hormuz achievement where you would spend tons of points developing your island so that you could field enough galleys to keep anyone from killing you. This was even less exciting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

It's in the government tab, the second one. I think it also shows up in the ages interface.

I used to almost exclusively pick defensive first but I've come off it a bit lately. Its morale boost is great but you can usually (vs the AI) make up for that kind of army quality disparity with the morale advisor and a tech lead (and I haven't been behind in military tech during the opening stages even once since disinheriting came out), whereas offensive's siege boost is pretty monumental for letting you dictate how the war shapes out, plus its leader boosts are more immediately tangible than the army tradition out of defensive. Also since I almost never use forts anymore half of defensive is borderline worthless.

Also it's just mad boring to use the same thing every game.

Only one of the Defensive ideas has anything to do with forts

Also you should build more forts, the army tradition bonus is worth the effort. It gives you a siege boost and a morale boost, plus it further boosts your siege rate by giving you better generals. The 40-tradition estate power is for CHUMPS

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The bonus is too, but I was exaggerating a bit.

I'm still unconvinced about forts for army tradition, although I guess I'm curious to hear people's thoughts. It's 1 fort per 50 dev, which is alright for the level 1s, but by the time you're going past that the fort cost is doubling each level, whereas the money you get out of your provinces isn't. Even as a megatrader it's a bit cost prohibitive (especially since making a trade empire means your development will be crazy high), you're sacrificing... well I don't feel like doing the math, but it's gotta be like 20% or more of your income isn't it? Permanently. I'd take an idea that gives me a 20% income boost or whatever over 1 army tradition in most situations for sure.

Naturally in the situations where you'll be getting actual utility out of the forts it's a bit different, but at least the way I play, those situations don't come up all that often.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You'd have to make a lot of assumptions for the math. Let's say 50 development means 17 base tax, 17 production, and 16 manpower, and all the provinces are producing grain. Before you account for any modifiers, that's 23.8 ducats a year, while a fully maintained level 2 fort would cost 12 ducats a year. So before MIL 14, you'd be spending somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of your income just for +1 AT, and it only gets worse as time goes on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like to think of these bonuses in terms of how they set equilibrium point for that attribute

(x+N) *d = x

Where x is army tradition stable point
d is yearly decay (0.95 usually)
N is yearly accrual (+1 for Defensive, up to +1 for forts)

x = (Nd) / (1-d)

So +1 yearly is actually AT stability of 19. Taking Defensive and having sufficient forts is stability of 38. Siege 2 forts per year and you've already obsoleted the Nobles general

Forts are expensive, but the good news is that you get a partial bonus even if you don't have enough forts. This is a great mechanism for converting excess income into a very good (and often undervalued) military attribute. In colonizer games the income becomes so insane that it's hard to actually spend it all on worthwhile things, but forts is definitely one of those worthwhile things

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

So +1 yearly is actually AT stability of 19.

But (ignoring events) it's not; it's 20.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Quantity is a solid choice for a Colonize, but if you're picking it for pure military value you're either lazy or bad at this game. Saying Quantity is a good first mil idea for Austria is horrible advice which will lead to bad habits and lost battles against France. Pick defensive so you can actually fight that blue monster, instead of just having more men to lose against them.

Offensive, Defensive, Quality all have better military value and better policies for war.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so disconcerting when the game throws massive territorial gains at me out of nowhere without any planning or forethought on my part. It makes me feel really stupid and not in control of anything. First there was somehow inheriting the Netherlands after the decay of Burgandy, and now I somehow fell into a personal union with England. The worst thing about it all is that it somehow catapulted me into a war with France (a war of succession?), and just after I washed my hands of helping England in their last war with France, too.

My army's been at full maintenance for a year or so, and I was only just feeling like I might be able to handle a quick war over an insult with what's left of Venice. I don't have what it takes to confront France directly, the only reason it seemed plausible before was because England had Castille helping it. Now I just have Switzerland and Bohemia to help me, and neither of them have any direction to them. I can't even penetrate into the country with all those forts, my only idea for what to do is burning the countryside wherever I go.

And all this because of some random toss of the dice, while my claims all over Bavaria and Milan gather dust, and my mission to become papal controller has been worthless.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not exactly random, you can see exactly what the outcome of a monarch's death will be when you hover over their name in the diplomacy screen. A succession war was foreseeable, though to be fair they often do come by surprise since people aren't in the habit of keeping constant tabs on foreign nations they have royal marriages with.

The Burgundian Succession Crisis is a historical event that happens only about a quarter of the time, in my experience. I think it used to be more frequent and predictable but I guess they want Burgundy to stick around more often for whatever reason.

There actually aren't too many of these random windfalls. For the vast majority of countries, like 95% of your territorial expansion will be through conquest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

But (ignoring events) it's not; it's 20.

poo poo, is it just (income) / (decay rate)? So +1 / 0.05 = +20?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

wukkar posted:

My money is on you forgetting about Ryukyu. They'll be a Ming tributary, but you should be able to blockade your way to enough warscore.

Your money is worthless. Like I said, every province in the Japan region and every province with a Japanese culture group are mine. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969564895/screenshot/88226491219205367

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mehrunes posted:

Your money is worthless. Like I said, every province in the Japan region and every province with a Japanese culture group are mine. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969564895/screenshot/88226491219205367

Someone else posted that it might be bugged and not fire when you are a tributary. I'll find out in a bit in my Korea game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have more development than Ming, but I'm still a tributary of them as Manchu. You'd really think Ming would take action against me instead of taking 12 MPs a year while I build myself up to conquer them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did they change how coalitions work? I went over 50 AE with several nations, got coalitioned, but now, years later, most of them are at positive opinion and around 20 AE, but they're still in the coalition against me. I've reset the game a few times to wake up the AI but they're sticking to their guns.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I thought you needed +50 relations for nations to stop being outraged.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mandalay posted:

I thought you needed +50 relations for nations to stop being outraged.
Yeah but usually they will drop out of the coalition before then, unless the target is vulnerable or something.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So as Japan I have colonial nations in the random new world and Castille wants to steal their land. When they declare colonial war I don't get called in, I have to try to enforce peace, they say no, I boat my super Japanese Samurai over to their colonies, crush them and seize their poo poo

Is this how it's supposed to work? If I declare on a colonial nation their overlord gets auto called in, but I don't if they declare on my colonial subjects

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TorakFade posted:

So as Japan I have colonial nations in the random new world and Castille wants to steal their land. When they declare colonial war I don't get called in, I have to try to enforce peace, they say no, I boat my super Japanese Samurai over to their colonies, crush them and seize their poo poo

Is this how it's supposed to work? If I declare on a colonial nation their overlord gets auto called in, but I don't if they declare on my colonial subjects

The CNs themselves can declare their own war against other CNs, which will only involve those two. If a CN is losing they can cry to daddy, which causes both parents to join the war as war leaders.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ming just sent me 93 gold apropos of nothing, because of Naive Enthusiast. I'm okay with this, being a tributary isn't so bad, because they don't mind if I go beat up Champa and Lan Xang and stuff.

e; Anyone got thoughts on what ideas I should go for as Khmer? Should be due for my first group real soon but I'm not used to playing in SE Asia at all, and have little idea what I'm doing.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 13, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing is when you go to war with a country that a lot of others hate, and they just start throwing money at you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Mister Adequate posted:

e; Anyone got thoughts on what ideas I should go for as Khmer? Should be due for my first group real soon but I'm not used to playing in SE Asia at all, and have little idea what I'm doing.

Exploration, always exploration if you're in range of all the free land in Southeast Asia.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I always forget, what's the best native coexistence policy? (If it matters, I'm running a Uesugi game and going to colonize the spice islands. I thought about building tall but I'm not sure how that's exclusive with colonization.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ethiopia is fun. Beating up all the nearby Muslims and getting cool Coptic bonuses. Right next door to two gold provinces. Is it possible to rush to the Cape of Good Hope too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Koramei posted:

Exploration, always exploration if you're in range of all the free land in Southeast Asia.

Oh poo poo right, of course :hurr: I mean the Philippines is RIGHT THERE for a start

• Locked thread