Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Did Zelda always do the thing where loading a saved game in a shrine sends you to the entrance and resets everything inside but not your gear's damage from use? Because I just did the shrine where you have to drive a ball across the water, golf-style and when I went past the orb to get the chest I saved, tried to get the second mechanic down (which apparently has to be perfectly aimed with the exact right amount of power) and tried to reload to give it another go only to find myself back at the entrance and minus a sledgehammer and claymore that I busted in the first part. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did Zelda always do the thing where loading a saved game in a shrine sends you to the entrance and resets everything inside but not your gear's damage from use? Because I just did the shrine where you have to drive a ball across the water, golf-style and when I went past the orb to get the chest I saved, tried to get the second mechanic down (which apparently has to be perfectly aimed with the exact right amount of power) and tried to reload to give it another go only to find myself back at the entrance and minus a sledgehammer and claymore that I busted in the first part. :psyduck:

If you opened a chest at any point, it will autosave, but that save reloads from the start of the shrine.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Empress Brosephine posted:

So what? I don't think the line up is impressive, and I think Zelda, while cool and fun, has some serious issues that cause it to not be great. Its also not a Switch exclusive so it still begs the question of what exactly is there for games on Switch.

I don't understand why Nintendo threads on these forums always have to be hug boxes. It's like any kind of negative viewpoint is strictly prohibited for a constant stream of "how good is this? So good" posts.

Your general sentiment isn't wrong, but you're just viewing the device incorrectly. In the first 6 months to a year, consoles or portable systems are generally low on games, and especially low on system specific games. In that context, devices like this (and particularly the Switch) are the definition of luxury items. Very few people have 'only a Switch' for gaming and so most people should just add Switch playing to their existing rotation without issue. If you slam out Zelda and other games in a week or month, then you're going to have a bad time. The second luxury component is playing games you passed over previously (or never tried) or games you want to play mobile. If you feel like as an early adopter you deserve some immediate lineup of AAA Switch only titles than you clearly don't 'get it.' There is a penalty for purchasing platforms early. If you're willing to try a few titles from the Japan store, maybe take Zelda slower, play games as they come and supplement your existing gaming with the Switch, then you're not going to feel the need to complain online about things.

I want to say something else. Just because a game is 1-4 years old doesn't mean it's bad or unworthy of playing. I never played any Batman or Bioshock Infinite and picked them up in a Steam sale not too long ago. I had more fun playing these titles than a bunch of very recent AAA or indy titles. There's almost an inherent "bias of the new" that exists with games, but frankly people are going to enjoy 1-4 year old ports mobile and at home on the Switch as they wait for Switch sales to spur on more unique titles.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 13, 2017

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

man nurse posted:

I would be more excited about portability if the battery life was worth a drat, but as it is, it's not very effective as a portable system. Besides which, when I'm out and about, it's not usually to play video games. That's something I do when I'm at home.

I'm glad there's people that are excited to play 2 hours of minecraft outside of their house, but I can understand people being pretty underwhelmed by what was shown today.

I spend two-three weeks a month in hotels and the portability of the switch is fantastic for that. Xbone/ps4 are bulky and heavy. Switch can fit in a carry on if I'm on a plane and it doesn't make my bag shoot up in weight. Being able to play Zelda while stuck in Sedalia, MO is an amazing thing.

The Direct was announced as an ARMS and Splatoon 2 direct. If anyone was disappointed by what they saw, it is their own fault for hyping the direct up to be something it wasn't.

E3 is right around the corner. If Nintendo drops the ball at E3, the criticism would be valid. But for now, the Direct delivered what it was supposed to and did a good job at that.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think it's to stop people save scumming/creating a impossible to beat shrine. Not sure if it's always been a thing because I just got my switch saturday.

I just got stung by a shrine reset after wasting all my metal weapons. 50 guesses which one that was.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

So what? I don't think the line up is impressive, and I think Zelda, while cool and fun, has some serious issues that cause it to not be great. Its also not a Switch exclusive so it still begs the question of what exactly is there for games on Switch.

I don't understand why Nintendo threads on these forums always have to be hug boxes. It's like any kind of negative viewpoint is strictly prohibited for a constant stream of "how good is this? So good" posts.

Have you considered maybe selling your Switch and leaving this thread? You didn't have excitement for splatoon2 or arms and are disappointed by splatoon2 and arms stream

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When will I become the real platinum god :sigh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

People that have put 100+ hours into Binding of Isaac on Switch: how's it hold up technically?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bowmore posted:

how loving long do you need to play your portable for at a time? 3 hours is plenty

Exactly. Today got me more stoked to buy a switch in the near future. I love neon yellow, and am now debating getting the neon switch and buy the neon yellow, or grey + neon.

Switch for three hours at a time is a perfect amount of battery as far as I'm concerned.

Arms I'm not sold on, but Tetris, street fighter, Splatoon, all look dope as hell. Mario Kart is an instant buy.

To the person who said Zelda isn't great... I get not liking open world games, but calling it not great for what it is is ridiculous.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

People that have put 100+ hours into Binding of Isaac on Switch: how's it hold up technically?

Very very well.
It's a rock solid bit of gaming.

The only slowdown you'll experience is from stupidly absurd item combos, but these sort of setups account for less than 1% of my playtime.

I have to stop myself playing Isaac to play other games... but on the other hand I gotta work my way through each character to unlock everything :sigh:
It'd be great if you could import your steam save as I've got Platinum God on there.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not sure its worth a full $40, but the physical version comes with an instruction manual. So go physical just for the museum piece.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm actually really happy when Isaac slows down, it means I've got a stupidly overpowered combo :v:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Payday 2 is fun on the PC but there's a LOT of DLC purchases to make (when I played, there were 0 sniper rifles, 0 shotguns, and 0 light machine guns in the base game; if you wanted to use those weapons and the skills that revolve around them, you have to buy a DLC). It's one of those games where, if you wait until it's on sale, and buy each DLC for like $1 each, it's worth picking up and very fun. Bear in mind the game itself is about $5 when it's on sale on Steam, so you can buy the game + essential DLCs for less than $20.

They added in "safes" and "drills" the game; combine matching safes and drills to get exclusive skins for your guns. Some of the skins give you an upgrade to the weapon. These used to be a thing you had to buy with real money; now they also drop in the game. People who play at the top level demand people in their party have the best skins (so you know they have a good weapon).

I don't know how the Nintendo release is going to handle the DLC / safes & drills, or what the patch schedule will be like. There are some game items (usually masks, which are purely cosmetic, but also a character), that you can only get by owning other games on Steam, so I have no idea how that will play on the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot PayDay 2 was even announced. That's such an odd choice but maybe I'll check it out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just saw the direct. Not getting arms at launch, the opponent is a distant speck but i wanna see them get hit with a punch. I hadnt realized how it would look in match and im underwhelmed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure a console release will not be so heavy on the f2p aspects. The mask thing, Nintendo would %100 never ever let it happen but how funny​ would it be to rob a bank wearing a Bowser mask.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly Arms is probably the one Nintendo title I'm most skeptical on because while the core mechanics look fun I really don't see a full game out of it even with them revealing 2v2. I'll really need to see some reviews for it before I plunge money into a Nintendo IP that looks really gimmicky and one dimensional.

I already got Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart 8 pre-ordered at least, with this being my first puyo puyo game and my first Mario Kart 8, so I'm pretty happy with these.

Also glad Splatoon 2 is coming in July instead of August, makes up for Arms being a June release. I don't really know what exactly I'd be getting in May, I'm already running out of games to play right now with Zelda for the most part completed and Shovel Knight being saved for my next road trip, and Voez isn't exactly a game you "beat".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I really want Mr. Shifty but the early reviews are... so so. Still tempted. Not sure how much of that is slim-pickings talking...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pretty sure they want Arms to be considered a straight up fighting game. I'm guessing they will have a prerelease tournament at E3 or something and there will be a ton of impressions.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The only straight up fighting game I like is Smash, and lol if that's considered a "straight up fighting game", so Arms will probably be my first Nintendo first party pass that isn't 1-2 switch.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else playing VOEZ? It's a pretty chill rhythm game. Already there are songs I want from it on my phone.

It's fun, albeit easy. The one thing I don't care for so much is the columns moving around at the last second to try and trick you up.

I'd love to have a port of ReRave or DJMax Technika for the Switch (neither will happen).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feenix posted:

I really want Mr. Shifty but the early reviews are... so so. Still tempted. Not sure how much of that is slim-pickings talking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0eDY0N4p0g

This video pretty much sold me on it. I think it's the steam version but they're the same game. Looks really cool. You'll have to get past the commentators though. Polygon has this problem where every writer on the site thinks they are comedians and wants to be Griffin McElroy or Nick Robinson, but none of them are.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

CoasterMaster posted:

It's fun, albeit easy.

either they really changed it for the switch version or you're not playing on hard mode. game is hard as poo poo, dude

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I would kill for a YouTube filter that silences all commentary during gameplay.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pippy posted:

I just got stung by a shrine reset after wasting all my metal weapons. 50 guesses which one that was.

I can understand now why Golf was never popular in Hyrule. :rant:

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Music Theory posted:

either they really changed it for the switch version or you're not playing on hard mode. game is hard as poo poo, dude

I sightread a 14 difficulty song (on Special) and had a little trouble (ended up with a B), but not much. Is there some difficulty setting that I'm missing?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

CoasterMaster posted:

I sightread a 14 difficulty song (on Special) and had a little trouble (ended up with a B), but not much. Is there some difficulty setting that I'm missing?

If you're not going for no misses or all perfects then it's not really hard. I don't think it's even possible to fail a song. I'm pretty sure you won't unlock stuff though, but that might just be a phone thing.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Music Theory posted:

If you're not going for no misses or all perfects then it's not really hard. I don't think it's even possible to fail a song. I'm pretty sure you won't unlock stuff though, but that might just be a phone thing.

Ahh maybe that's what I'm missing. When I play a new music game, I go higher and higher in difficulty until I fail, then scale it back. I was just surprised to see a hard song that I didn't fail on. If it's impossible to fail, then yeah, I can see how I'm wrong about the difficulty.

(I also don't really care so much about FCs in music games and just whether I can pass or not, so maybe I'm doing it wrong for this one...)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The squid research thing was really distracting when theyre trying to reveal a horde mode.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

CoasterMaster posted:

Ahh maybe that's what I'm missing. When I play a new music game, I go higher and higher in difficulty until I fail, then scale it back. I was just surprised to see a hard song that I didn't fail on. If it's impossible to fail, then yeah, I can see how I'm wrong about the difficulty.

(I also don't really care so much about FCs in music games and just whether I can pass or not, so maybe I'm doing it wrong for this one

You literally can't fail, no. It'll give you a poor grade (I think C is the lowest it goes?) but it won't stop you from finishing the song no matter how poorly you do. So if you're specifically playing for clears then you'll probably get about 10-15 hours as you play all the songs on all the difficulties.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on my experience in Payday 2, it's literally impossible to start playing unless you've been playing since it released. After a few months and everyone has leveled up, you'll get removed from every lobby because you're level 1.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Host your own game, can't be kicked.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I was under the impression that payday 2 was terrible against randoms and I definitely don't have 3 friends with a switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

i think it might have something to do less with it being a "hugbox" and more the fact that you only show up to post complaints about whatever thing people are saying is great, friend. have you considered starting a "nintendo sucks" thread?

alternatively, you may want to talk to a therapist about how offended you are about people enjoying things you don't like because it's probably not healthy

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Payday 2 is cooperative, but randoms will certainly ruin stealth missions.

When you're new you don't even have a silencer anyway, so gently caress it, start of with loud missions and shoot everything.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Voez is fun and chill, but have a few criticisms. The only gratification for doing well is a high rank, and the music doesnt cut out or provide feedback if you do poorly. It also doesn't provide feedback if you do well - the only thing you have is the combo count. I play with it in my lap, and I think it should have utilized the rumble feature to provide any sort of response.

I find the ranking dumb, specifically. It's easy to rank B, but I feel that A is a fine razor edge between B and S ranks.
"You almost didn't miss a single note, but you hosed up and missed 2 notes. Have the same ranking for missing 20."

I want to like puyopuyo tetris. Are you confined to the tiny quarter screen playfield even when not in a versus mode? It seems like a lot of wasted real estate. The versus modes are cool, but I just want to set up chains on a big luxurious screen while getting my oil changed pooping

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I want to say something else. Just because a game is 1-4 years old doesn't mean it's bad or unworthy of playing. I never played any Batman or Bioshock Infinite and picked them up in a Steam sale not too long ago.

Bolded the important part

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

HyperPuma posted:

remember when everyone in here was saying the 3ds was dead

It's me. I assumed this was the case and got rid of my 3DS a long time ago. Between Culdcept, Monster Hunter RPG and Fire Emblem Echos I think I'm officially regretting that decision. Fortunately my N3DSXL was a special edition that I resold at retail cost so I won't feel too burned if I do rebuy a 3DS again.

I really wish all of these games were just coming to the Switch instead.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I knew this day would come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_qbf4Nnzw
Senran Kagura Project Announced for Switch
The main feature of the game is feeling "chests" with HD Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kashuno posted:

Have you considered maybe selling your Switch and leaving this thread? You didn't have excitement for splatoon2 or arms and are disappointed by splatoon2 and arms stream

gently caress off.

• Locked thread