Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

at redhat, background checks were super important because 9 times out of 10, the applicant would send in a screenshot of KDE with some waifu visible behind the layers of compositing. no thanks.

one of the jobs i turned down when i first got to tokyo had multiple guys in the office using those anime mousepads that have enormous breasts for wrist rests. it was a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

at the place i work at the standard application form has an appendix that's basically authorizing them to run a background check and includes a place to write in your SSN. i was honestly just applying to fulfill my weekly quota of applications for unemployment, so i just laughed and left that part off when i submitted the application. like hell i'm giving out my SSN to every fuckin' company i sling an application at

funny thing is i think that scored me points with my boss

I had some European agency asking me for my banking details on the first application form, about ten years ago.

I was like uh gently caress no

also pictures because racism I guess

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

also pictures because culture fit I guess

ftfy

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!

DuckConference posted:

Like are you including any firmware/software stuff in there or are you strictly looking for signal janitoring positions? Pure HW positions are kinda rare so it may take you a while to find the right one. If you're careful, you could go for a technician position, there are certain teams where moving from technician to engineering positions is very possible (but also teams where that will never, ever happen).

It may seem like all the postings are for super-senior positions, but that's mostly because the more senior positions take a long-rear end time to find someone for.

yeah. i have some software stuff on there from my job before college and classes at college. i am down to do some software stuff as well as long as my job doesn't become entirely that. real goal is to get somewhere where i can learn some actual analog/mixed signal design skills.

eventually/ideally i want to get into RF stuff. senior design project is RF and i do some amateur radio stuff in my spare time, but that seems like a hard field to crack with just a bachelors and not a lot of technician level work behind me.

really also not sure about job titles i should be searching for online. it feels pretty luck of the draw when i find things to apply to.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

raminasi posted:

sounds like a background check. did you authorize one?

($newjob wanted ten years from me but it was after they'd already made an offer and I was desperate so I did it. job is great.)

i dont think i authorized one? maybe the want to have it ready for me to authorize when i come in to interview?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
some company i worked for had those background checks you have to fill in yourself, going back to stupid poo poo like which middle school you went to and where you lived when you were 12

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I had some European agency asking me for my banking details on the first application form, about ten years ago.

I was like uh gently caress no

also pictures because racism I guess

headshots + bio details are normal some countries

it is very awkward when you as an american page through those resumes 'what the gently caress? why is this guy telling me he's 5'10" and married?'

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

headshots + bio details are normal some countries

it is very awkward when you as an american page through those resumes 'what the gently caress? why is this guy telling me he's 5'10" and married?'

apparently on russian resumes you include your parents names and professions

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PapaLazarou posted:

yeah. i have some software stuff on there from my job before college and classes at college. i am down to do some software stuff as well as long as my job doesn't become entirely that. real goal is to get somewhere where i can learn some actual analog/mixed signal design skills.

eventually/ideally i want to get into RF stuff. senior design project is RF and i do some amateur radio stuff in my spare time, but that seems like a hard field to crack with just a bachelors and not a lot of technician level work behind me.

really also not sure about job titles i should be searching for online. it feels pretty luck of the draw when i find things to apply to.

Everybody wants RF/analog engineers, where have you been applying / what are you using for search terms. When I made my keywords a lot more specific the number of positions that sounded like a thing I would want to do shot up to the point where I was dropping 10+ resumes a day easy

Also apply for jobs even if you don't seem remotely qualified for them

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i always thought the solid EE fallback was doing contract layout work for $80/hr

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Bah! Denied an on-site on a technical interview I thought I did alright on last week.

On to the next one, hope I don't run out of companies to interview with :pray:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

i always thought the solid EE fallback was doing contract layout work for $80/hr

new grads can't do all those things though unfortunately

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

Everybody wants RF/analog engineers, where have you been applying / what are you using for search terms. When I made my keywords a lot more specific the number of positions that sounded like a thing I would want to do shot up to the point where I was dropping 10+ resumes a day easy

Also apply for jobs even if you don't seem remotely qualified for them

I think the key is applying for jobs that i don't seem remotely qualified for. I've been using linked in to search for jobs and haven't been applying because everything that says RF on it that I've found said minimum masters.

Probably just need to send out more applications too. I've probably sent out about 15 total now.

Third option is that I'm just a moron who is doing something very wrong.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PapaLazarou posted:

I think the key is applying for jobs that i don't seem remotely qualified for. I've been using linked in to search for jobs and haven't been applying because everything that says RF on it that I've found said minimum masters.

Probably just need to send out more applications too. I've probably sent out about 15 total now.

Third option is that I'm just a moron who is doing something very wrong.

You definitely need to work on your keyword game cause here's a whole bunch of entry level poo poo, some of which doesn't require a masters
http://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=New+Grad+Rf+Engineer

Alternatively, go get a masters

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

What We Need:

An entry level Linux Sysadmin.
o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.

gently caress these people!!!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
had a phone interview that went pretty well. the place supports the same software I do now but on a scale so much smaller and more manageable I'm not sure why they'd even need me

they want a web conference next to go over infrastructure and tech specifics, so I guess they liked what they heard

i just don't want it all to come crashing down when they offer like $80k to live in nyc. it would be a pain to move, sell the house, etc but drat a senior non-contract gig sure does sound swell and I hope it doesn't fall apart in the final compensation talks :ohdear:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

hifi posted:

What We Need:

o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.

Maybe you should have gotten a STEM degree.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dont touch computers in nyc for less than six figs

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers for less than six figs

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Contracting for 6.5 figs, still cannot get a full time position. Interviewing is balls.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers in nyc for less than six figs

:agreed: everything else so far looks good but sub-10^5.2 is gonna be a deal killer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers [...] for [...] figs

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PierreTheMime posted:

:agreed: everything else so far looks good but sub-10^5.2 is gonna be a deal killer

do you have kids or want to buy property or something

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

raminasi posted:

do you have kids or want to buy property or something

yes

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

hifi posted:

What We Need:

lol, I know what company it is. They're finance, they don't have to make sense.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol, I know what company it is. They're finance, they don't have to make sense.

why is it nonsensical for an entry level position to require a bachelor's in a relevant field

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

hifi posted:

What We Need:

i used to work for a government department that required a degree in CS and at least 2 years of experience for a junior developer job paying ~40-50k. no other degrees were accepted, so if you didn't have a BS CS, you needed 4 years additional years of work experience to make up for it, and you'd end up at the very bottom of the payscale at that. they had some trouble filling those roles until someone took a look at why.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why is it nonsensical for an entry level position to require a bachelor's in a relevant field

it's more that they don't have an "or equivalent experience" addendum.

that and they're asking for specific degrees (physics?!?) for a cj gig. i mean a degree in leisure studies is just as applicable really.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 13, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

it's more that they don't have an "or equivalent experience" addendum.

that and they're asking for specific degrees (physics?!?) for a cj gig. i mean a degree in leisure studies is just as applicable really.
I don't got no formal CS education nor any of those degrees. They missing out on my skills.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i appreciate it when places specifically want a bachelors because then i know i shouldnt bother applying

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

apply anyway. unless it's a government job and weirdly specific about the exact combination of degree and years of experience. those guys probably mean it.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i work for $bigcompany and minimum education is directly tied to compensation ranges. this would happen because everyone on the team happened to have a 4 year degree and their boss went to bat to get them raises, and so the degree became a requirement to slide the range up several notches. unsurprisingly, this also gives the boss a raise.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Turns out lots of places still like degrees for lots of types of computer touching

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do you require BS degrees for draftsmen?

basic sysadmin work has nothing to do with those listed degrees.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

degree elitism is cool & good and keeps the low iq, poors, and bad life decision makers away from me in the workplace

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

degree elitism is cool & good and keeps the low iq, poors, and bad life decision makers away from me in the workplace

you're no stymie

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's called devops now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

do you require BS degrees for draftsmen?

not really a job anymore - recent grads do all the drafting these days

• Locked thread