Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Zipperelli. posted:

Edit: How would Lincoln be "personally responsible" for deaths that occurred in a war started by the Confederacy?

You see, Lincoln Was Bad™️, and therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

But he was a Republican?.. :raise:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Weatherman posted:

You see, ((((Lincoln)))) Was Bad™️, and therefore

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

1stGear posted:

friend i'd like to talk to you about states' rights

Reminds me of this.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

:lol:

Sooooo the Union was supposed to just sit back and let the inbred rednecks from the Confederacy just shell Fort Sumter to poo poo and let it happen? Get hosed.

Edit: How would Lincoln be "personally responsible" for deaths that occurred in a war started by the Confederacy?

If you want a serious answer: no, he was 'supposed' to meet with the delegation the Confederacy sent to Washington to negotiate peaceful secession and treaties of friendship with the United States. After a month of being ignored, the delegation was told there could be no diplomacy because the US did not recognize the existence of the CS. Days later, the CS shelled Ft. Sumter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That would have loving crushed Lincoln.

No president could have accepted those terms.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

If you want a serious answer: no, he was 'supposed' to meet with the delegation the Confederacy sent to Washington to negotiate peaceful secession and treaties of friendship with the United States. After a month of being ignored, the delegation was told there could be no diplomacy because the US did not recognize the existence of the CS. Days later, the CS shelled Ft. Sumter.

Accepting secession was a precedent no President could bear to set. Which is why it is to this day referred to as an internal conflict and not a war between separate states, even in the Southiest parts of the South.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

Man, people really are losing their poo poo over Malala.

Is this human can of beans seriously arguing that granting Malala honorary citizenship is somehow approving of the loving Taliban

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think he's being deliberately dense, because its's easier to assume all Muslims are extremists rather than accepting they have different sects, ideologies, and social political leanings just like Christians, which he likely identifies as or at least respects to some degree. Malala being a legit peaceful Muslim challenges his bigoted narrow world view, and it makes him uncomfortable so he has to resort to incoherent attacks against innocent people to maintain his justification for racism and prejudice. The best way to justify superiority is to slander innocent people who happen to be different.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

I mean also members of the Taliban shot her in the head.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:drat:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That has to be fake.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

In the third picture the people are facing different directions, how can you know so little about the thing you hate?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Doesn't look like it would offer a great deal of protection from a tornado.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Praseodymi posted:

In the third picture the people are facing different directions, how can you know so little about the thing you hate?

Ignorance has never prevented hate, on the contrary.

The less you know, the less nuance there is in your opinion.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Duh. Half of them are facing the birthplace of Obama.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Stoatbringer posted:

Doesn't look like it would offer a great deal of protection from a tornado.
This has to do with the horrible window heavy school designs inexplicably used in the US's tornado alley. So the hallways between classrooms are usually the areas with the fewest windows, but they still have windows. So the idea is to lower the likelihood of being killed by the tornado as much as possible if you're caught in the death traps that those schools are.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

maybe they're at Mecca's antipode, I bet you didn't think about that smart guy?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

maybe they're at Mecca's antipode, I bet you didn't think about that smart guy?

Then they're not American. :colbert:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Catberry posted:

Duh. Half of them are facing the birthplace of Obama.

But Kenya is in the same general direction as Mecca?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Then they're not American. :colbert:

maybe their American school put them in a boat and sailed out to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to do it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rumda posted:

But Kenya is in the same general direction as Mecca?

I thought it was Indonesia now. I'll have to dig up that article when I get home.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fathis Munk posted:

That has to be fake.

Because the guy apologized and recanted, yep.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:agreed: that's what convinced me.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's some a+ crazy, good find.

I hope you said that this review was helpful.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fathis Munk posted:

That has to be fake.

Whether or not it was sincere, I saw this Twitter exchange personally, and it was amazing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somfin posted:

Accepting secession was a precedent no President could bear to set. Which is why it is to this day referred to as an internal conflict and not a war between separate states, even in the Southiest parts of the South.

I always call it The War to Settle the Score

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fathis Munk posted:

That's some a+ crazy, good find.

I hope you said that this review was helpful.
It's from that guy who uses markov chain generators fed with the content, he has that great review of O'Hare.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man that's a good bot. Markov bots are the best.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

At the very least it was a bad idea because declaring war got Virginia and a couple of other states involved. Lincoln probably should have delayed for time.

Everyone did poo poo wrong leading up to war, but the South was a special snowflake in stupid decisions.

:sigh:

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Apr 13, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"was" :confused:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Little girls in raincoats with their knees showing?! Oh no!

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
How does the moon work?

Replies are from the OP.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Monkeytime posted:

How does the moon work?

Replies are from the OP.

Reminds me of an old video of a woman claiming that rainbows appearing in mist was a new thing that only happens now because the government is putting chemicals in the water supply.

fake edit: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'll admit I was probably into my twenties before I actually paid enough attention to notice the moon during a clear day.

In my defence, a clear day in Ireland is not common.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Rainbows used to be cool until people saw gasoline drip into water. Now it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Monkeytime posted:

How does the moon work?

Replies are from the OP.

I've spent so long trying to explain why this works to my mom, to no avail. I think her mental diagram of the solar system is stuck in 2D. MOON IS NIGHT, NIGHT IS OPPOSITE SUN, MOON SHOULD BE BLOCKED BY EARTH.

But at the very least she doesn't think this is something new.