Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Time Mage stat modifiers

HP: 0%
MP: +30%
STR: -40%
VIT: -40%
INT: +30%
WIS: +20%
DEX: -20%
AGI: 0%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I mean, from what I've seen so far, you could continue to read this as "capitalism sucks and ruins everything", except now taking the tack that it specifically coopts and destroys female empowerment by convincing them to spend all their time, money, and effort on appearance rather than virtuous and productive pursuits. A lot of academic feminists think that modern feminism is a sham because patriarchy and capitalism are inextricable. Maybe the game writers agree??? no. that's being too charitable. The more likely thing is that, while it's still a takedown of capitalism, it's bemoaning that capitalism shits on the ~purity~ of women.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Wow, another costume that isn't wildly different for the ladies. Also didn't expect something even sillier than FF5 Time Mages, but here we are. I love it!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Patter Song posted:

I will be speaking up for the Florem section later (in that I think it's intentionally disturbing and eerie and sickening and not accidentially so). For now, I'll just say that Florem has fantastic music. Florem, City of Flowers is a great track that pulls off being elegant and menacing at the same time.

Florem Town Music: Florem, the Fascinating Flower Country

Agreed!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, right, I forgot to post the music. :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Spatula City posted:

I mean, from what I've seen so far, you could continue to read this as "capitalism sucks and ruins everything", except now taking the tack that it specifically coopts and destroys female empowerment by convincing them to spend all their time, money, and effort on appearance rather than virtuous and productive pursuits. A lot of academic feminists think that modern feminism is a sham because patriarchy and capitalism are inextricable. Maybe the game writers agree??? no. that's being too charitable. The more likely thing is that, while it's still a takedown of capitalism, it's bemoaning that capitalism shits on the ~purity~ of women.
I'm not sure if I like this thread more for the good and interesting gameplay or the posts that are like, this.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bravely Default is not exactly a groundbreaking title when it comes to gender politics, but I am interested in seeing if your reading changes down the line.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
One thing I love about those enemy scenes at the start of the chapter is when it shows the Council of Six, and none of the characters in it are at all perplexed about there only being four of them. The idea that the enemy is led by a six-person council with two members permanently absentee is kind of hilarious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Grand Marshal is so grand that he counts for three people.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's probably equal in mass to Victor, Victoria, and Alternis put together, at least. He's significantly taller than even Victor, and broader-shouldered than any of them.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 30: Where the Water Sleeps, Silenced

You s-saaaaaaid it...

Ringabel closes his eyes.

Yeesh, what's got you two yawning first thing in the morning?

Actually, don't answer that, Ringabel. I can guess. But Tiz, why are you tired?

Isn't it obvious? Those darn neon signs were flickering all night long. Then as soon as I finally get to sleep, Mr. Night Owl here comes stumbling back to the room...

And we already know you're a neurotic sleeper.

Can't we call it a "light" sleeper?

Look, here's some coffee. These are dire times, so I made it black.

Thanks, that's great.

Ha ha, look at this one. He fell asleep still holding his cup.

Don't go drowning in your coffee, Ringabel.

After breakfast, they return to the Matriarch's place.

The Matriarch is nice enough, but appears to be even less proactive than the marshmallow king of Caldisla.

This was tucked away behind her chair. Tengus are Japanese bird demon/god/spirits. It is recommended you not tangle with them unless you are very cunning.

Florem's townspeople are the same whether night or day, so we're moving on to the next objective.

On the way to the Temple of Water, the party encounters some of the local flora.

The flora immediately tries to murder them.

These little guys and their later recolors are easy to kill, come in packs...

...and award a larger than average amount of JP.

The party takes its sweet time getting to the temple, allowing Ringabel to level White Mage enough to use lvl 3 white magic.

These moths are also around, but I never got a shot of them attacking because Agnès with a bow killed them instantly.

The Temple of Water is near the central edge of the plateau. Florem is just visible at the top of the screen, directly north of the temple.

Looks familiar.

Still, it's a relief to see the temple's unharmed. The Temple of Wind was torn apart. I was worried we'd find the same here.

Indeed... At the very least, it seems the acolytes escaped harm. Or so I hope... ......

The smell of the air here is so nostalgic.

I hear all four temples share a similar design. Perhaps they all feel this way.

The construction is plain, just stone and simple windows. No ornamentation to speak of.

But when the sun filters in, the prayer hall was suffused with a calm warmth... I used to love just watching the light pour through the windows.

I can imagine how peaceful that would be.

I'm certain it seems a dreadfully dull and monotonous life to outsiders. But to me...life in the temple was rich, and perfectly tranquil.

Tranquility's great, in moderation.

But didn't you ever get the urge to know what was going on in the outside world?

It is not as if we completely forsook the world around us.

The world within the temple was simply enough for us. That's all...

Before going to the crystal chamber, let's look around. As Agnès said, it's the same layout as the Temple of Wind, though only a single floor. This time, however, everything is intact and there are no monsters.

As in the Temple of Wind, we can examine a few of the rooms more closely.

The same as the Temple of Wind.

No. It looks the same, but it's anything but.

What do you mean?

It isn't that no one is here. There is no sign of anyone ever having been here. Not in years...

Detective Agnès and Assistants Tiz and Airy are on the case.

Next is the area below the garden.

There are no traces of damage from monster or miasma. This is...erosion. Time left these scars.

Detective Ringabel weighs in.

Here's the equivalent of the room in the Temple of Wind with the ruined vestal garb.

They should be Olivia's...

The design is a bit different from yours, Agnès.

...Not bad, I must say.

That will be all, Detective Ringabel.

Wait, Olivia has multiple vestal garbs? While Agnès just borrowed her predecessor's? Why did Agnès not know about the unique vestal garb thing? How many times did Olivia punch out a dragon? Or is Olivia just using those of her predecessors as well, not knowing they're ineffective? Somewhere, someone really dropped the ball on vestal education.

There are a few treasures around, including a relevant elemental charm.

A hidden chest is below the room south of the garden.

Wonder whose pictures the party members would choose?

The complete, unruined temple. All that's left is the crystal chamber.

Let's go.

This is... No.

Then... Does that mean Olivia already awakened this one? But it's so dim...

The water vestal is the only one who could have created it... And now only she can remove it.

She must have sensed what was happening sooner than I. She managed this just before the crystal was lost.

And then she hid...

I can't say what her reasons were, but she handled the situation brilliantly. I'm impressed! There's no risk of the crystal being swallowed up like this, or of any humans meddling with it.

Remember Airy's line here.

Uh-huh! Wherever she is, she's doing fine!

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] That's an enormous relief...

So that means we need to find her if we want to awaken the Water Crystal. Right?

That's the best way, certainly. But not the only one!

These shields can only be invoked by the vestals of fire, water, wind and earth, and dismissed by the same. But that's not to say that the water vestal's shield can only be dismissed by the water vestal. You should be able to get past her shield, Agnès. And awaken the Water Crystal, too!

Is that true?

Yes, there are two such cases written of in the Crystalist scriptures.

The whole world could fall into shadow if we don't hurry. We can search for Olivia as soon as we're done!

I cannot. If the Water Crystal is to be awakened, it ought to be at Olivia's hands. The Rite of Awakening has been performed only a handful of times in the history of the Crystal Orthodoxy. It's only right that Olivia be the one to release the prayers of the lineage of water vestals.

Well, yes, but we don't know where she is. Where do we even start looking?

...Let us return and speak with the matriarch again.

So, we learned Olivia's alive.

Setting that aside, let's summarize the dramatic tension in this conversation:

Only the missing water vestal can undo the barrier and awaken the crystal!

Or Agnès can do it. Whichever.

We risked our lives to get here for this express purpose, but eh, no rush.

Agnès's desire to find her friend is understandable, and they do establish the crystal is safe enough to leave alone, but keep in mind the world's oceans are rotting in the meantime.

The party leaves the temple, but our view turns elsewhere...

We switch to an area nearby.

Keep hope alive. We have to make it to safety. Now, run!

What was our crime? Is a quiet life of piety such a grave offense?

That outfit and that animation sure look familiar.

We return to the party.

Poor Airy is having a hard time getting her job done.

Don't worry, we'll get to the crystal eventually. But first, the party returns to Florem and decides to buy snazzy new hats.

False advertising. Plus: wooden hat?

The god of light referred to is the Greek god Apollo. The laurel wreath has been used as a symbol of victory from ancient Greece to Rome and through to today in parts of the Western world.

...Suddenly the wooden hat doesn't seem like a bad idea.

The party continues on to the Matriarch, who listens to their story.

Still, it pains me to say I haven't a clue where the vestal of water may be.

Tiz and Agnès turn back to the others.

What drove her into hiding to begin with?

Were the Eternian Forces after her? If they wanted Agnès, it stands to reason.

The Bloodrose Legion! Do we go pick a fight?

I am a wanted criminal, and you a traitor. We could be marching to our own executions.

...Hm? I'm not certain this is terribly relevant, but I found a curious passage.

Promise you won't get mad?

Er, very well...?

"The wind vestal entered the Sacred Flower Festival." ...And it ends there.

What? ...Wait, what!?

...Huh. Well, I'll be. It really does say that.

Agnès? Hellooo? There's no call to panic here. Just because it says something in Ringabel's book doesn't mean you're forced to play along if you don't--

No. I'll do it.

What!? Are you serious? Really!?

One girl was chosen for her purity of heart to serve as Flower Maiden until next year's festival. She would join the spirits in nurturing Florem's flowers. It was an honor, and a great responsibility. But recent years have seen it become a hollow shell. They compete by skin-deep beauty alone.

Yet it still remains an important event, attended by all in Florem.

Ah ha! Then we won't have to look for her because she'll find us!

It's dangerous... That's a lot of attention you'll be calling to yourself.

I understand the risks. But if it means I am able to see Olivia, I will enter.

Then I'll help however I can.

I'm not certain a man would get far in the competition, Tiz.

I didn't say I would enter!

Next: FASHIONAAABLUH! But first, I'm taking a short break for some preplanned RL stuff. Provided all goes well, we'll begin our descent into the world of beauty pageants at the start of May. Hope to see you guys then!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
The Water Vestal's Whereabouts
Persecution of the Faithful
Entering the Festival

Sub-Scenario:
No Sign of Human Life
Erosion
Not Bad

Party Chat:
Two Tired Boys
A Pious Life

D's Journal: Airy posted:

pg.4: Upon reaching the Temple of Water, we found the Water Crystal protected by a shield, though darkness was still slowly devouring it. Airy thinks the shield was put in place by the water vestal, Olivia. Though Tiz was eager to try and find Olivia, Airy said the shield of a vestal could be removed by another vestal, allowing the crystal to be awakened.

D's Journal: Temple of Water posted:

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 8, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
They are going to regret this decision aren't they.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cokerpilot posted:

They are going to regret this decision aren't they.

Ringabel won't.
Ignoring the obvious exception, if they don't I'll eat Edea's time Mage outfit, ridiculous hat included.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm inclined to believe that the real reason she doesn't awaken the Crystal is because she'd have to dispel the shield. Once that's done, she'd have no idea whether or not Olivia was still alive.

It's a bit of a selfish act, but it's one that puts her mind at ease in regards to how one of her closest friends is doing.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Well yeah, except they presumably don't make another visit there until it's "too late" or whatever modifier you wish you use on it.

It's wasn't looking good the moment they established it 1. goes away if she dies and 2. the darkness is eating the crystal so added together it reads like 3. something bad happens and then the temple turns into a dungeon which you'll have to do for real. Also, cue one of those "noooooo" screams.

Plus points for wearing a readily identifiable outfit while people are looking for you to presumably kill you.

Or, you know... she's actually a party member then she'll be fine I guess. I guess using asterisks allows anyone to become a capable warrior (that +some experience grinding)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I mean, we probably nearly died on the wind crystal and we'd been practicing for that. What would happen with a foreign one? That's how you get dead vestals, and dead vestals are the enemy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Glazius posted:

I mean, we probably nearly died on the wind crystal and we'd been practicing for that. What would happen with a foreign one? That's how you get dead vestals, and dead vestals are the enemy.

That explains the bloodrose legion. Come! My Noble Einherjar Vestals!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm inclined to believe that the real reason she doesn't awaken the Crystal is because she'd have to dispel the shield. Once that's done, she'd have no idea whether or not Olivia was still alive.

It's a bit of a selfish act, but it's one that puts her mind at ease in regards to how one of her closest friends is doing.
Also who knows what'll happen if they break the shield. Considering it's tied to her life force, that could very well up and kill Olivia.

And that'd make Agnes sad. Which would be bad.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...

The solution to this crisis is to...enlist Agnes into a beauty pageant...because the future-telling journal said she'd enroll in it.

One great(?) thing about the Bravely Default cast is that they are very...um...go-along-to-get-along. They don't really question what they're doing, they just go around to kill Eternians and light crystals and do whatever their journal says to do in order to accomplish those things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The near apocalypse is always the best time for a beauty pageant. That was one thing Final Fantasies 1 and 3 were severely lacking in. :colbert:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The time mage outfit was my main motivation for unlocking the freelancer outfits using Norende.

There is another job in this chapter with the same problem.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like the appearance of every job in this game, personally, save for one that comes later.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The time mage outfit was my main motivation for unlocking the freelancer outfits using Norende.

There is another job in this chapter with the same problem.

One of the jobs in this chapter was one I used for both Edea and Tiz for a good chunk of chapter 3 and 4 and I gotta say it led to some pretty amazing cutscenes.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

How completionist is this going to be? Cuz Bravely is quite possibly the world's most completionist hating game series what with scene versions A-D based on order/whether or not you did thing earlier/other variations, missable party chat that only happens the first time through an area that I thought I could get later because of gimmick, boss dialogue dependent on who you take down first, an event viewer that records all this mandating multiple playthroughs of a game with a gimmick that clashes with that, and no one that cared enough to document all the requirements and variations.

I'm bitter about this game as a completionist that almost never replays games. Basically I want to know if you'll help me bury the hatchet, before I start reading.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The LP will cover all cutscenes.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Okay then, I'll see you guys in a week or two as I play along and try to give this series another chance without stressing over it.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 31: Let's Risk Lives for the Prettiest Dress

We're back and ready to save the world.

But first, beauty pageant time~!

Are you listening? Hey!

Airy, given the tasks that lie ahead, I think enlisting the aid of the other vestals must come first.

I guess, but still...

So, do you have any idea of how the new Sacred Flower Festival even works, Agnès?

I do not... Given all the changes here, the mind boggles.

Well, we did pick up that flyer. Let's have a look... Oh ho! "Entrants will flaunt their beauty on the stage for all to see," it says.

Beauty contest, plain and simple, then. From the sound of it, competition will be fierce...

I've no need to win. I need only alert Olivia to my presence.

But--and I say this with love--you're rather plain, dear. You could get lost in the sea of color.

A-am I...? Then...what do you propose?

Huh? Wh-why are you asking me!?

I'll take the game's word for it.

Then, tell me. What must I do?

Hmm... I suppose step one is studying up on the trends here in Florem!

Fashion...what?

Fashionaaabluh. You know, fashionable? That's how the hip kids said it back home.

Ooh, have a look at this. Tadaaah!

An heirloom floral linen stole!

That's lovely! And so fashionable!

Not fashionable. Fashionaaabluh!

F-fashionaaabluh, then... Edea, where did you find it? I'm envious.

Aren't you!? It was a gift from my mother, years and years ago.

If you wrap it around you like...this! It makes for the perfect accent.

Absolutely fashionaaabluh!

You're always fashionable, though, Edea.

Not fashionable! FASHIONAAABLUH!

Ha ha...

Although you're nearly as fashion-minded as she is, Ringabel. You're always fussing over your hair, and your shoes are blinding.

What can I say? I live my life in front of the mirror.

A proper pompadour is a joy and a responsibility. Shoes and belt must match.

But that's only the beginning. You don't know the half of it.

Clothing I really like, I never wear. Don't want to get it dirty, do I?

What use are clothes you can't wear?

See, Tiz? You're the only country bumpkin in the group.

Give this stole a try. Stoles on guys are in this season.

But this season is warm.

What's the point of wearing a scarf when it's not cold out?

Scarf!? It's not a... Here, just try it.

At times one must suffer to be fashionaaabluh.

This has to look ridiculous... Oh, well, I'll think of it as a sweat towel.

Tiz, you look very, er...f-fashionaaabluh...

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] You'd look right at home weeding a garden!

I think the party needs help.

This woman near the matriarch's place looks like she spends most of her paycheck on fashion. Let's ask her.

Want one? Well, too bad! The traders don't stock them. Who does? ...Not telling!

Why are the residents so comically terrible?

Anyway, she mentioned the traders. Maybe someone at the item shop knows more?

There's a specialty merchant who comes into town every so often. Seems they're the only source. Though if you're hunting trends, all the girls are dyeing their hair these days. Like that girl, there.

Though I'm afraid we don't carry dyes, either. Really, where do they get all this stuff?

An underground fashion market? Souonds like something to check up o--

Let me guess. "I would dearly love to escort you..." Right?

Without question. But I'm also just plain hungry. Aren't you?

Now that you mention it...

So, Agnès. Any recommendations?

Hmm, let me think... Florem is known for stream noodles. Oh, and water jellies for dessert.

Those sound lovely, but have you anything that sticks to the ribs a bit more?

A bowl of eel wafers, perhaps? Hmm, or I believe queen perch is in season.

Eel wafers...bowl? What in the world?

It's a delicacy made by stacking thin slices of eel from Florem's marshlands. Quite famous.

And what's a queen perch?

A river fish, prized for their aroma. They swim upstream at this time of year, and are served salted or fried.

I think some fried queen perch sounds good, then.

Perhaps I'll try these eel wafers, then.

Ooh, me too! Eel wafers, fried perch, and water jellies!

Ha ha, what, one of everything?

It must be hard to enjoy a leisurely gourmet meal with Airy yelling in your ear about saving the world.

After the party stuff themselves, they find a girl with dyed blue hair.

For a moment there, she was almost likable.

Petalhue, they call it. It's the biggest thing ever. Of course, I discovered it first. Other trends? Like I'm going to tell you! I'm all the beauty Florem needs, thank you very much.

Gameplay tutorial man won't care. The guy on the other screen is too busy obsessing over the Festival. That leaves the man who's mistaken the town for a strip club.

An enlightened opinion. What a woman needs is boldness! It's settled. We're going sexy!

Why is Ringabel of all people taking charge of this? Edea must be out of earshot.

That lady there is on the right track. Get her to teach you a thing or two.

Immediately after this, Edea appears and drags Ringabel off. When they return:

Tee hee. What can I say? I see these clothes and just can't help myself.

That's abundantly clear, looking at all the bags in Ringabel's hands.

My poor, numb hands...

Wooorth iiit! I mean, just look at this adorable one piece!

But Edea, you already own a dress that's practically identical to that!

Whaaat? They're totally different!

See? The length is shorter on this one. It's all the rage.

If you go buying new dresses every time the hemlines change, you'll be broke in no time.

Yes, and my purse is in no condition to support her little habit... Heh.

Needless to say, mine is no fuller. I haven't got two coins to rub together... Heh.

Don't tell me...

Thank you sooo much, Tiz!

Aaah! That's MY wallet!

Edea's picking up some bad habits from the locals.

Luckily the sexy lady the guy was talking about is still around.

The old man of the woods comes a few times a year. He's a total pervert, but the clothes he sells are knockouts.

The old man of which woods, exactly?

Somewhere in the southeast. Down past Mt. Fragmentum, from what I hear. Whoever he is, he said he knew the matriarch and the vestal of water. He was leering when he said it...

For being called "Ill-Natured Girl" she's quite helpful.

Southeast across a mountain range, old lecher, lives in woods, sews clothes. Wait, it couldn't be...

Ho ho ho! You'll be looking for the sage of Yulyana, then.

He didn't even have to finish...

How a man of his years manages the trip here from the Yulyana Woods on foot, I'll never know.

What? There's a path connecting Florem and Yulyana by foot!?

It's unsettling how eager you are about all this...

Evidence of the man's tireless commitment to sexy clothes, my dear.

I knew from the moment I saw him he was no ordinary grandpa.

Sooo, I have no problem with the fact that we wound up out here, but...

Do you two really plan to put Agnès in something s...sexy?

I fear I am ignorant in such things. What makes a garment sexy, precisely?

Er, goodness, how to put this...

Hold that thought! Agnès, my dear, why spoil the surprise, hmm?

Today's "black as pitch list," entry number one...Ringabel!

Now that we've spoken with the locals, we've triggered the first two side quests for chapter 2. We'll get to them eventually.

But first, we've got a deadline: hiking all the way to Yulyana and back again before the Flower Festival.

Through a monster-infested wildland, halfway across the continent...

Into a hostile cavern system...

...which reuses the graphics of the game's tutorial dungeon. They could've at least recolored it.

All in the name of being fashionaaabluh.

Norende Ravine v.2, otherwise known as Mount Fragmentium, does have a varied group of new enemies.

A dryad is a wood nymph, typically depicted as a pretty, nude young woman. This game's dryad, with those attack names, looking not like a sexy lady but a tree is one of the game's best sex-related jokes.

Cait sith seem intelligent. They get along with the other monsters. Why are they attacking us?

Stop running! We're trying to murder you!

These guys give a large amount of JP as well, but the running away bit and large variety of mobs in the area to sort through makes them difficult to grind.

High five!

Hardest enemy in the dungeon. Just like Animorphs, all those fantasy monsters can't match up to the sheer physical strength of an ordinary grizzly bear.

The trail forked left and right from the entrance. This is at the end of the left path.

Likely a reference to infamous late 1800s London serial killer Jack the Ripper.

Map of the first screen.

The second screen contains another demihuman. Like his fellow in the Temple of Wind, he's not open to chatting.

Complete second screen. The layout is more complex than Norende Ravine, if only slightly.

Taking the northern path to the right leads to a dead end and a weapon. For being a tiny island that disappeared hundreds of years ago, Wa stuff sure does show up everywhere.

Taking the southern path to the right leads to our dear buddy, Adventurer.

The party continues on, oblivious.

Good. That was a harder hike than I'd thought.

*CRASH*

Wait! What is that!?

Next: What foe dares stand in the way of fashion? Nothing will keep us from one of the most uncomfortable cutscenes in the game!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
A Gemstone in the Rough
The Must-Have Item
Asking the Trader
A Huge Boom
Sex Appeal is Mass Appeal
The Old Man of the Woods
Know Any Perverts?
Terratoise

Party Chat:
Tres Fashionaaabluh
Florem's Finest Food
I Want This, and That, and...
Sexy Clothes

D's Journal: Yulyana Region posted:

Route to Florem: Florem can be reached from Yulyana Woods via a canyon that cuts through Mount Fragmentium. The people of Florem say the old sage uses this route to come to trade.

D's Journal: Mount Fragmentium posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a shame that no other party chat tops Fashionaaaaabluh.

Greyarc posted:

Nothing will keep us from one of the most uncomfortable cutscenes in the game!

You had to remind me. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 1, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I can't imagine this is going to be at all enjoyable for anyone.

The things we do for plot progression.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine this is going to be at all enjoyable for anyone.

The things we do for plot progression.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a shame that no other party chat tops Fashionaaaaabluh.

You had to remind me. :negative:
:(

It's great Tiz and Edea exist.

Also, fashionaaabluh sounds like "fashion-blah" in my mind. The hip kids in Edea's town are trying way to hard to be cool.

That party chat is gold though. Agnes and Tiz are so practical minded compared to the fashionaaabluh Edea and Ringabel.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy, there's only one way this upcoming scene can turn out.

oh boy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It's great Tiz and Edea exist.

To be honest, I've always found Tiz kind of plain, but I do think he and Agnes help balance out Ringabel and Edea pretty well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be honest, I've always found Tiz kind of plain, but I do think he and Agnes help balance out Ringabel and Edea pretty well.

Tiz is the Cypher, Agnes is the hermit, Ringabel's the worldly wanderer and Edea's the street smart. Everything you need to make in-character worldbuilding interesting and fun.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I meant for the next scene.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Spell Fencer

Spell Fencer gives the best of both offensive worlds: a high physical damage job able to add extra magical damage to their weapons. On taking an action to add the magic, its effects last for several turns. With a bit of preparation, this allows them to target elemental weaknesses, giving their already hard-hitting attacks an extra punch.

The job is successor to Final Fantasy 5's Mystic Knight.

Job icon is the men's hat. Job Command icon is a sword imbued with magic. Straightforward enough.

Stats are decent across the board but nothing outstanding. Spell Fencers are made to use swords, nothing but swords, which is luckily not too bad of a limitation given how many good swords the game throws at you. Use of heavier armor is a plus.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Sword Magic Lv.1: Blizzard, Fire, Thunder
Level 2 - Sword Magic Lv.2: Poison, Silence, Sleep
Level 3 - Firewall: 50% chance to counterattack with fire damage when hit by single-target physical attack. (Cost: 1)
Level 4 - Sword Magic Lv.3: Blizzara, Fira, Thundara
Level 5 - Auto-Aspir Blade: Autocasts Aspir at start of battle. (Cost: 1)
Level 6 - Magic Armor: Elemental damage of same type as sword magic is reduced. (Cost: 1)
Level 7 - Sword Magic Lv.4: Aspir (drains MP), Drain (drains HP), Fear
Level 8 - Memento: When user is K.O.'d, non-K.O.'d allies restore 50% of MP. (Cost: 3)
Level 9 - Sword Magic Lv.5: Blizzaga, Firaga, Thundaga
Level 10 - Anti-Magic: Allows other jobs to equip the Spell Fencer specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 11 - Sword Magic Amp: Sword Magic MP cost doubles, but damage increases by 1.25. (Cost: 1)
Level 12 - Sword Magic Lv.6: Dark, Death, Holy
Level 13 - M.Def Specialize: P.Def lowered by 25%, M.Def raised by 50%. (Cost: 1)
Level 14 - Phantom Weapon: Damage from equipped weapon added to magic attacks. (Cost: 3)

Though excellent at single-target damage, Spell Fencers lack multi-target abilities, so they're best paired with a more versatile physical damage job. Sword Magic lasts for ten turns before the effects wear off and it must be recast. Status effects have a 75% chance to be inflicted if target is not immune.

M.Def is raised by 50% when hit by magic attack, up to 150%.

Spell Fencer is notable for having one of the biggest discrepencies in design between the sexes, which is really a shame, because who wouldn't want to see Ringabel sashay around in those shawls?

The men are wearing outfits based on traditional clothing of the Bedouins, who built their culture up around being desert-dwelling nomads. The horns on the headpiece are an unusual decoration, perhaps meant to evoke a mystical or demonic image. The women are wearing an outfit in the bedlah style, originally used in the middle eastern folk dance known today in the West as bellydancing. Nowadays, it is perhaps best known for being a symbol as Exotic/"Oriental" sexuality, due to its use in erotic stories popularized in the West during the 1800s-1900s about Oriental harems, where women were stolen away and forced into being sex slaves in lush, exotic locales (from which western men could rescue them or take part, depending on the story's intentions).

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 3, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The gender discrepancy between the costumes was there in the FFV Mystic Knight sprites, so let's be polite and consider it a nod.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Greyarc posted:

The women are wearing outfits based off of erotic stories popularized in the West during the 1800s-1900s about Oriental harems, where women were stolen away and forced into being sex slaves in lush, exotic locales (from which western men could rescue them or take part, depending on the story's intentions).

wait...what?

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Aces High posted:

wait...what?

Here's the wiki section on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem#Western_representations

The clothing associated with this is also used in belly dancing -- that's probably the real origin of the outfit, but in modern usage I mostly see it used in the context of harem imagery, and I'm guessing that's the Bravely Default artist's inspiration. :shrug:

I can try to clarify that section if it would help.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Greyarc posted:

Here's the wiki section on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harem#Western_representations

The clothing associated with this is also used in belly dancing -- that's probably the real origin of the outfit, but in modern usage I mostly see it used in the context of harem imagery, and I'm guessing that's the Bravely Default artist's inspiration. :shrug:

I can try to clarify that section if it would help.

it's possible the outfit has a different meaning/baggage in japan since they don't have quite the same colonialist history europe/western civ has, but that's certainly the, uh, tradition the outfit is connected to in the anglosphere yeah.

e: for clarification

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 3, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was just reacting to the literature part, I did not know that was a thing until today. I knew about the belly dancing because I know some people that do it so when I first played the game I thought that was what they were going for (that and T&A because because)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Spell Fencer stats are incredibly easy: +10% to everything except DEX and AGI.