Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Golden Sky Stories is the Deal of the Day on DriveThruRPG, so today only you can get the PDF for $4.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/118784/Golden-Sky-Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Aaaaand because the RNG involved in picking the Deal of the Day decided to be hilarious, Kagegami High is today's Deal of the Day, also $4. It's weeaboo Welcome to Night Vale by way of a Maid RPG variant.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/206207/Kagegami-High

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ewen, are you paying them to do this? Because Maid is now the deal of the day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Comixology is having a big sale on D&D comics, including each volume of John Roger's excellent "Fell's Five" series for $5 and all the old Forgotten Realms comics from the 80's for $7 per volume.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Covok posted:

Ewen, are you paying them to do this? Because Maid is now the deal of the day.
DTRPG has a thing where they award you "Publisher Promotion Points" and you can spend them on banners and page impressions, and also to put a product in the Deal of the Day queue, and apparently I had weirdly good luck with getting randomly picked almost immediately. Apparently I need to work more on promoting my stuff, because it does work, like a lot.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Comixology is having a big sale on D&D comics, including each volume of John Roger's excellent "Fell's Five" series for $5 and all the old Forgotten Realms comics from the 80's for $7 per volume.

Love Fell's Five. Anything else worthwhile there? Not familiar with anything else

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Fell's Five is definitely the best series there. Seriously, for those of you who haven't read or don't own them, the books are well worth the $5 sale price. It's the best D&D comic ever printed, and it's a drat tragedy that the series was cancelled.

Of those that I've read at least some of, the Dark Sun volume was my second favorite — although part of that was the old school white border panel layout, which doesn't translate as well to digital (or glossy pages, for that matter). I haven't read it in a while, but from what I remember, the ending wasn't all that great. It's probably a distant second-ish, if Rogers' series is your benchmark.

Cutter & the other Salvatore books are genre fiction, so you'll likely feel the same about them as you do the books that the characters come from.

From the sole issue of Forgotten Realms I read, I'm of the impression that comic books are not the correct medium for Ed Greenwood. If you're a fan of the Realms, your opinion may differ.

I can't speak to any of the Classics.

The Eberron books appear to be contenders for inclusion in the Good D&D Comics category, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am Fell's Five. Do take note that the collected volume includes the relevant single issues on sale (The 2012 Annual & Infestation).

Jim Zub, the writer behind Skullkickers, also writes the newest series — which utilizes characters from Baldur's Gate. I haven't read any of these, but they're likely better than a lot of the other stuff on sale that hasn't already been recommended. Sampling Skullkickers will give you a better idea of if you'll enjoy these books.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 19, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Classics really aren't terribly great. It's Forgotten Realms stuff from a time period that straddles the Time of Troubles, and set largely in Waterdeep. The Forgotten Realms titled comic is an offshoot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bieeardo posted:

The Classics really aren't terribly great. It's Forgotten Realms stuff from a time period that straddles the Time of Troubles, and set largely in Waterdeep. The Forgotten Realms titled comic is an offshoot.

The comic isn't great, but it does have Vajra Valmeyjar as the lead character who is really quite a cool character and a fairly atypical representation of the D&D fighter.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is true.

I don't think it speaks well of me that I managed to forget about her amid Dwarf the Dwarf, the extra-magical elf, not-Callahan the bartender and an entire story arc about a Monty Python sketch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Forgotten Realms comics are better than Classics, mainly because the writing isn't trying to be Serious Talking Fantasy and lets everyone have personalities with more than one aspect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I still have paper copies of the full runs of the AD&D comics, the Forgotten Realms comics, and the short-lived Spelljammer comics. All bought new, back when they were released.

I was sure they'd be valuable someday. I was ... wrong.

And yeah, they are simple, enjoyable fluff. Very uneven, but that's to be expected. I enjoyed revisiting them a few years back.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The newest Bundle of Holding is up and it's Traveller20.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I have very fond memories of playing in a T20 campaign, but I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone (just use Mongoose Traveller; it does the same poo poo but is way less fiddly/D20).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is Champions 4e in two bundles. All of it. Apparently a lot of this stuff hasn't been available as PDFs until now.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The new Bundle of Holding is Champions 4e in two bundles. All of it. Apparently a lot of this stuff hasn't been available as PDFs until now.

Are either of those worth getting? I've heard the name Champions, but don't know a lot about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't this the bullet stopping book?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Technically it was Hero System that did, and I'd believe it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Are either of those worth getting? I've heard the name Champions, but don't know a lot about it.

Champions itself is a really crunchy system where you can do some pretty fun stuff with hero building but combat routinely took us 6+ hours to resolve. The setting doesn't seem like anything special to me and that's like 95% of what you're getting in those bundles.

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
Long time Champions fan here and I'm really glad to have digital copies of these books. Although I'm running two 6E Champions game, I wouldn't mind running a short-term 4E game for new bloods and nostalgia. As for combat, IME it can go pretty zippy if the GM sets the campaign parameters right.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That was Hero System 5e, which was kind of bloated compared to 4e. There are a lot of people who prefer the relatively simpler Hero 4e over the much crunchier 5e/6e systems.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
People rag on Hero system combats taking forever, but that's not true. GURPS combat I always found to take longer. The OCV/DCV/ECV system is really fast and damage calculation is easy if you can add and subtract. The speed chart is the trickiest thing really and even it gets fast.

code:
Phases
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
S 1 - - - - - - - - - -- --  X
P 2 - - - - - X - - - -- --  X
E 3 - - - X - - - X - -- --  X
E 4 - - X - - X - - X -- --  X
D 5 - - X - X - - X -  X --  X
  6 - X - X - X - X -  X --  X
  7 - X - X - X X - X --  X  X
  8 - X X - X X - X X --  X  X
  9 - X X X - X X X -  X  X  X
 10 - X X X X X - X X  X  X  X
 11 - X X X X X X X X  X  X  X
 12 X X X X X X X X X  X  X  X
I haven't played Champions in 14 years or so and I still remember it. 4E also had that sweet George Perez cover art.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, you may have managed to get it down faster but it was literally always a whole session, 4-6 hour affair for us. :shrug:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sorry Humbug but that chart looks like nonsense to me and "I never had problems with it" is not exactly a ringing endorsement of a combat system that is infamous for being fiddly and complicated.

Also you can run GURPS combat with three rolls: attack; active defense; if hit damage, with all the numbers being easily accessed as they're just precalculated. You can also turn GURPS into a nightmare of realism if you want, but the core combat system is three rolls and all derived values are determined during character creation.

I've never heard anybody say the same thing of Hero System, it's always "well my group never had problems" or "combat only took us thirty minutes" or, like now "here's this obtuse chart that's the hardest part but it's really simple guys".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I've played with experienced Champions players who "solved" the combat speed issue by dividing sessions into roleplay sessions and combat sessions. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kwyndig posted:

I'm sorry Humbug but that chart looks like nonsense to me and "I never had problems with it" is not exactly a ringing endorsement of a combat system that is infamous for being fiddly and complicated.

Also you can run GURPS combat with three rolls: attack; active defense; if hit damage, with all the numbers being easily accessed as they're just precalculated. You can also turn GURPS into a nightmare of realism if you want, but the core combat system is three rolls and all derived values are determined during character creation.

I've never heard anybody say the same thing of Hero System, it's always "well my group never had problems" or "combat only took us thirty minutes" or, like now "here's this obtuse chart that's the hardest part but it's really simple guys".

That chart boils down to; Do I go on this phase? Yes/No If yes do stuff. Attack is one roll modified by attacker's offense and target's defense. Damage is just d6s. Armor is subtracted from damage. It looks complex as gently caress, but it's really not. I find the system way faster than GURPS for example. I

Serf
May 5, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

People rag on Hero system combats taking forever, but that's not true. GURPS combat I always found to take longer. The OCV/DCV/ECV system is really fast and damage calculation is easy if you can add and subtract. The speed chart is the trickiest thing really and even it gets fast.

code:
Phases
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
S 1 - - - - - - - - - -- --  X
P 2 - - - - - X - - - -- --  X
E 3 - - - X - - - X - -- --  X
E 4 - - X - - X - - X -- --  X
D 5 - - X - X - - X -  X --  X
  6 - X - X - X - X -  X --  X
  7 - X - X - X X - X --  X  X
  8 - X X - X X - X X --  X  X
  9 - X X X - X X X -  X  X  X
 10 - X X X X X - X X  X  X  X
 11 - X X X X X X X X  X  X  X
 12 X X X X X X X X X  X  X  X
I haven't played Champions in 14 years or so and I still remember it. 4E also had that sweet George Perez cover art.

extremely host voice: doesn't look like anything to me

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
This week's Humble Book Bundle is a Brandon Sanderson collection, including Crafty Games' Mistborn RPG and two supplements: the core rulebook is in the $1 tier, and the Player's Guide and Campaign Setting are at the higher levels.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

13th Age BoH today. Best the average to get like everything ever published.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Kwyndig posted:

Technically it was Hero System that did, and I'd believe it.
Here's the Hero 5th Edition ballistics test video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Wmj46S5qo

They concluded that despite its thickness it was a poor defense against anything larger than a non-magnum .22, but excellent against a bayonet.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Speaking of Bundle of Holding, they also have a Fading Sun 2nd Edition Bundle up now. Is it any good? It looks interesting enough.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Fading Suns is another of those 90s era great setting tied to unfortunate system games. Worth it if you want to mine for pseudo-Dune sci-fantasy stuff.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
And the current Bundle of Holding has Shadow of the Demon Lord in it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ooh, that is a really solid collection, especially with the bonus tier stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Foglet posted:

I'm in, with the Bonus Tier!

e: Sorry, 13th Age. I might check back on you later.

I've been interested in this one for a while now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
SotDL is a far better game than 13A, anyway.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shadow of the Demon Lord is fantastic and you should give it a shot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

Sold! SOTDL is cool and good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy gently caress how are there 120+ supplements for this game.

Also, they normally add titles to sweeten the deal, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Holy gently caress how are there 120+ supplements for this game.

Also, they normally add titles to sweeten the deal, no?
Robert is a loving machine; he's been putting stuff out drat near every Monday for lord knows how long.

And yes, they'll often add stuff after launch, but when they do you get it automatically if you've backed at the appropriate tier.