Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Bacarruda posted:

Except they aren't really cheap. They're a drag on our finances.

We get paid for performance. The Saabs have literally only landed one rocket hit in 12 total sorties. We spend tens of thousands of dollars in ammo, spares, and fuel -- and we made back a few thousand bucks.

They are literally costing us more money than they are worth.

The planes themselves were bought for a little more then a million per and we're flying them in fairly lovely conditions. In the event where we needed some cheap CAS in a controlled area to bounce some, say, fishing boats or other similar targets then hey, look at us. Flying hot garbage has its use until we have something decidedly to replace it, then it can sit mothballed somewhere.

Also incase everything gets nuked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

A Google translation follows:
ATTN: (untranslated)
RE: supply problem
Chengdu commander can no longer provide additional aircraft. After the completion of the strike, the power of your back to the Chengdu Air Force to be modified, Sichuan situation is growing is important
We deny your nuclear authorization request. Now is not the time Tibet is not a place
J20 can only be used in an emergency! Chengdu headquarters output

So e aren't getting a bucket of sunshine poured over us, that's a relief. I'm also not too concerned about J20s only being used in an emergency, a large IAF incursion like that being planned as cover for us is an emergency and they'll respond with their J-20s.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Quinntan posted:

A Google translation follows:
ATTN: (untranslated)
RE: supply problem
Chengdu commander can no longer provide additional aircraft. After the completion of the strike, the power of your back to the Chengdu Air Force to be modified, Sichuan situation is growing is important
We deny your nuclear authorization request. Now is not the time Tibet is not a place
J20 can only be used in an emergency! Chengdu headquarters output

So e aren't getting a bucket of sunshine poured over us, that's a relief. I'm also not too concerned about J20s only being used in an emergency, a large IAF incursion like that being planned as cover for us is an emergency and they'll respond with their J-20s.

That seems a little excessive.

"Hey boss we're getting our asses kicked, can we borrow some nukes?"

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
It's not just about keeping Tibet under control, it's also about the warlords. "we will nuke you if you keep this poo poo up, look at what happened to the Tibetans. Do you want to suffer the same fate?"

Edit: with the civil war raging on the mainland, is Taiwan sitting back and watching or is it getting involved?

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 13, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Alright so the official request to open up the canned sunshine has been denied (hopefully that translated right), but does that imply that there are warheads at Lhasa and they just don't have permission to use them? Because that's almost as bad. Especially if the local commander decides to go rogue or his brother was on that frigate or whatever other stroke of cosmic misfortune is bound to befall us.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I would assume it would imply that, with all the strategic consequences it entails.

What happens if the Tibetans get there?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

We can't steal the J-20s, but can we steal the nukes? Who cares about napalm when there's a chance at nuclear fire?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
No, for much the same reasons we can't steal the planes. We don't have any way to get them out.

We're going to go full Metal Gear by the end of this, I can just tell.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Look if this LP cracks open the box o' nukes there drat well better be some scenario where we get to fire Genies at things, that's all I'm saying

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
You know, maybe we could steal these nukes instead?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Baloogan didn't spend all the time simulating nukes for no reason!

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
First we need a mother base. What's going on in the Seychelles these days?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

Edit: with the civil war raging on the mainland, is Taiwan sitting back and watching or is it getting involved?

Taiwan suffered a pretty serious grudge-loving after tapping two warheads onto the Chinese. Battle of Britain level aerial bombardment but with effective bombers. The only thing keeping them from being invaded by China is the chaos unfolding in mainland China and the fact that no one knows how many more of those old Russian warheads the Taiwanese might have.

Hired Goons : If it isn't bolted down we'll steal acquire it before we leave your nation in shambles

Don't think I'm not totally with you folks on this one, there's nothing more satisfying in a game then when you defeat an opponent and acquire his poo poo to be your own.

Per the instructions for Operation Strict Parenting I'm planning on moving Aircraft from a completed mission to the next in-process mission. For example if the SEAD strike has AGM's left, I plan on moving them to the HAMMER mission to assist.

However if one of these flights is out of ground ordnance do we want them to RTB or go into the HIGH CAP mission? They'll have a bunch of IRIS-T's.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Yooper posted:

Per the instructions for Operation Strict Parenting I'm planning on moving Aircraft from a completed mission to the next in-process mission. For example if the SEAD strike has AGM's left, I plan on moving them to the HAMMER mission to assist.

However if one of these flights is out of ground ordnance do we want them to RTB or go into the HIGH CAP mission? They'll have a bunch of IRIS-T's.

I think it's time for them to boogie on out of there at that point. J-16s have effective BVR missiles and I wouldn't want to fly up against one with only heaters. Besides, our Phantoms should be carrying a pair of AMRAAMs each, right?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Have them RTB (to Bhutan, if possible), do a quick turnaround to rearm with the Meteor (or AMRAAM) A2A loadout and then join the High CAP flight. That way we'll have our entire fighter force airborne to deal with any J-20s that come out to play.

They're going to be very short of fuel after hitting their targets. With 4 GBUs, their combat radius is about 280nm, and our base is about 215nm away from Lhasa. When you account for use of afterburner and taking a terrain-following route, the strike Gripens won't have the gas to hit the target and then join the CAP.

e: we could also have the strike birds hit the target, hit the tanker, and then relieve the High CAP birds so they can get gas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote RTB. Keep our planes safe for the transition instead of getting in a tangle with limited ammo and fuel.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Still waiting for baloogan to implement barrel bombs :colbert:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

RTB unless there's an active air threat to fight: don't want to risk too many planes.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
RTB sounds like the best option IMHO.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Have them RTB (to Bhutan, if possible), do a quick turnaround to rearm with the Meteor (or AMRAAM) A2A loadout and then join the High CAP flight. That way we'll have our entire fighter force airborne to deal with any J-20s that come out to play.

They're going to be very short of fuel after hitting their targets. With 4 GBUs, their combat radius is about 280nm, and our base is about 215nm away from Lhasa. When you account for use of afterburner and taking a terrain-following route, the strike Gripens won't have the gas to hit the target and then join the CAP.

e: we could also have the strike birds hit the target, hit the tanker, and then relieve the High CAP birds so they can get gas.

I'll have to look into quick turnaround when we have to change ordnance. I believe if it's already loaded we can do it, but to change a weapons loadout might take longer.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Realistically speaking, are we going to take that long hitting Lhasa that re-arming and coming back is actually possible? I was under the impression that we had a short window to fight in while the J-20s were away.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Quinntan posted:

Realistically speaking, are we going to take that long hitting Lhasa that re-arming and coming back is actually possible? I was under the impression that we had a short window to fight in while the J-20s were away.

We need a backup plan in case the Lhasa raid fails and the Chinese are able to launch their planned strike on Hired Goon HQ.

Having the strikers turn around and take up CAP kills two birds with one stone. It ensures they won't be killed on the ground. And it lets us go after their strikers if they get airborne.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

RTB and rearm for CAP, yeah get back in the air til we can declare threats gone and safe for everyone to land and start packing our suitcases.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Definitely RTB and rearm for CAP.

I think we have an Indian SAM site defending our base as well.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So the el-cheapo Bollywood thing fell through. Instead we'll have a generic Fiverr video at the end. :saddowns:

To help me organize all this poo poo, and to practice PS on my break, I made up some cards! I'll do a mission brief post and hopefully have some cool cards.

Hoping to run the mission tomorrow evening

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I went picking through the CMANO database to find more wonderful old aircraft that might be worth a look at.

Super Etendard: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/2850/

Mirage F1: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/3153/

P-3 Orion (for those wanting an MPA): http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/351/

F-CK-1: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/3795/

A-4K Skyhawk: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/191/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shame they only built like 3 F-20 Tigersharks so we can't go full Area 88.

And F-8 Crusaders would be even more foolish than Ukrainian museum pieces.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Night10194 posted:

Shame they only built like 3 F-20 Tigersharks so we can't go full Area 88.

And F-8 Crusaders would be even more foolish than Ukrainian museum pieces.

This is clearly an alternate universe. We could probably buy F-20s direct from the manufacturer if we wanted.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
You'd be surprised. The French had crusaders until 1999 (and unfortunately they wouldn't be any good for us)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I know people have mentioned this before but there's a load of retired Tornados that would do some Good poo poo for us: http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/2543/

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Those would be a fantastic get for us. There should even be plenty of them that haven't been RTP'd by now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aren't Tornadoes still in service?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
In the UK, they're due to be retired in 2019. The Brits don't tend to store aircraft, instead they RTP (Reduce To Produce) them, they part them out and either retain the parts as spares for their own fleets or sell them to other countries operating the types. However in 2023, there's a good chance that there'll still be surviving aircraft for us to try to buy.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

In the UK, they're due to be retired in 2019. The Brits don't tend to store aircraft, instead they RTP (Reduce To Produce) them, they part them out and either retain the parts as spares for their own fleets or sell them to other countries operating the types. However in 2023, there's a good chance that there'll still be surviving aircraft for us to try to buy.

Also, there is a sizable German, Italian and Saudi Tornado fleets, and they should be available in a couple of years.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Maybe the Saudi ones, they'd probably go full bore for some form of Strike Eagle. The Germans and Italians are planning to keep their Tornadoes on strength until 2030.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to get spare parts and equipment if the airframe's in active service with a bunch of armies.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I have no idea how we'd get these but they seem pretty nifty.

I'm also totally okay with Tornados. Especially if we can somehow dig up an ECR or two.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

Maybe the Saudi ones, they'd probably go full bore for some form of Strike Eagle. The Germans and Italians are planning to keep their Tornadoes on strength until 2030.

Also, Saudi ones have the best paint scheme, German and Italian Tornadoes are boring gray while Saudis rock that amazing desert camouflage. What's the point of multi-million dollar high-performance jets if they don't look rad?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Ah, I dunno. The Brits and Germans have some nice paint schemes for Tornadoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

power crystals posted:

I have no idea how we'd get these but they seem pretty nifty.

I'm also totally okay with Tornados. Especially if we can somehow dig up an ECR or two.

The F-CK-1C Hsiung Ying is basically an F-16 with the serial numbers filed off. The Taiwanese use them to pretty good effect. We could probably work a contract with them to get a few in exchange for our services, especially given our recent...er um, situations with the PRC we might find a sympathetic ear in Taipei. Of course that does beg the question of if we are willing to piss the PRC off even more than we already have and if Yooper gives us missions in that area.

Also fifthing my original support/proposal for Tornadoes. For what we seem to be doing for our PMCs Tornado work fantastically for our mission slate/profile in terms of attack runs and CAS support. The fact they're still zippy planes gives them a nice advantage as well as the fact there should still be plebty of parts around. They're also NATO compatible which simplifies that logistical end,