Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I imagine that like most crazy rich children of crazy rich people they're not overly invested in politics or social issues beyond the surface level.

Like, they might lean liberal but no one's been making an effort to change Fox News and no one's going to before it starts affecting the money.

Hence why Bill's in trouble. He hosed with the money.

edit: All day. I'm posting too much.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bill is such a massive Conservative figures and his demise would just be enormous.

I give him 50/50 odds and while many advertisers have left many have still stuck around and so have his viewers. If anything, I'd rather see Hannity gone before Bill.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I let myself start believing with the advertisers bolting but I was still pretty doubtful.

I'm actually kind of starting to believe right now. But I'm still guarding myself. Taking down O'Reilly would be massive.

And honestly, I really believe that getting rid of O'Reilly could potentially destroy Hannity. With O'Reilly and Kelly gone Hannity could jump to the face of the network and if people actually start paying attention to that guy it could turn out real bad for him. Like, there's no limit to the poo poo that gets said and done on his show. Brazen misogyny. White supremacists. Crooked cops. Russian propagandists. Crazed conspiracy theorists. Hannity spends a week every year covering teenage wet t-shirt contests for Spring Break.

I mean, Hannity had to shut down a veterans charity because Nashville refused to participate in it anymore because it was a scam to make Sean money.

Hannity survives because no one actually takes him seriously enough to pay attention. O'Reilly is downright professional and dignified compared to Hannity and Kelly was drat near a bleeding heart liberal compared to him. Hannity's way, way off the reservation and is the true face of the alt right.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tonight was might have been Bills last show

quote:

According to four network sources, there’s talk inside Fox News that tonight’s show could be his last. Lawyers for the law firm Paul, Weiss, hired last summer by 21st Century Fox to investigate Roger Ailes, are currently doing a “deep dive” investigation into O’Reilly’s behavior. They’re focused now on sexual harassment claims by O’Reilly guest Wendy Walsh after she reported her claims via the company’s anonymous hotline. Fox News co-president Bill Shine has been working hard to keep O’Reilly, sources said. But O’Reilly’s future is in the hands of the Murdochs. “It’s up to the family,” the senior Fox News staffer said. The Murdochs are presently divided over how to handle it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/is-bill-oreilly-going-off-the-air.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I let myself start believing with the advertisers bolting but I was still pretty doubtful.

I'm actually kind of starting to believe right now. But I'm still guarding myself. Taking down O'Reilly would be massive.

And honestly, I really believe that getting rid of O'Reilly could potentially destroy Hannity. With O'Reilly and Kelly gone Hannity could jump to the face of the network and if people actually start paying attention to that guy it could turn out real bad for him. Like, there's no limit to the poo poo that gets said and done on his show. Brazen misogyny. White supremacists. Crooked cops. Russian propagandists. Crazed conspiracy theorists. Hannity spends a week every year covering teenage wet t-shirt contests for Spring Break.

I mean, Hannity had to shut down a veterans charity because Nashville refused to participate in it anymore because it was a scam to make Sean money.

Hannity survives because no one actually takes him seriously enough to pay attention. O'Reilly is downright professional and dignified compared to Hannity and Kelly was drat near a bleeding heart liberal compared to him. Hannity's way, way off the reservation and is the true face of the alt right.

I'm not sure if I'd describe Hannity as alt-right. Maybe the hard-right or Authoritarian Right but you're spot on with the rest. The removal of O'Reilly would immediately move the spotlight on Hannity.

It's strange to see Trump in office but FNC move to the left or at least center itself.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not sure if I'd describe Hannity as alt-right. Maybe the hard-right or Authoritarian Right but you're spot on with the rest. The removal of O'Reilly would immediately move the spotlight on Hannity.

It's strange to see Trump in office but FNC move to the left or at least center itself.

None of that is happening though. O'Reilly is just a weirdo perv.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Fox has basically been shedding its "centerish" people who attacked Trump or had an issue with sexual harrassment. Replacing Kelly with Tucker Carlson was a shift right. If O'Reilly goes he'll be replaced with someone who is probably further right than him. And if Hannity rises in status that shifts the entire network hard right and towards Breitbart.

I think it would be bad for Fox News to go all Hannity/Breitbart but that's the path they might be going down.

Tab8715 posted:

Yeah, that was a clumsy bit of me getting carried away. But I do think Hannity's kind of the alt right's... harbinger? He's the mainstream Fox News link between them and the alt right. If you're watching Fox News and you want to know what the alt right is talking about you're most likely to hear it first at 10 PM.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How does an "alt-right" make any sense? Their core viewers are conservative but no where to the paranoia and viciousness of the alt-right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just think Hannity himself pulls from a lot of alt right sources and brings a lot of those things to Fox News. He was the one raising up the Bundys as heroes, playing videos to prove that Hillary was a secret epileptic, and calling Bill Clinton a pedophile because he flew on Epstein's plane. If a crazy alt right story or conspiracy makes Fox News you can probably trace it to either Fox and Friends at 6 AM or Hannity at 10 PM.

I agree Fox News itself isn't alt right. That's why any elevation for Hannity would push them farther right and towards the alt right (although certainly not there). But I doubt Fox News would be stupid enough to put Hannity on at 8. I think its more likely they'd stuff someone tamer in there and leave Hannity in his late night quarantine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is Hannity a petty little diva that holds grudges forever? I want them to retry Chowder.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Accurate

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I just think Hannity himself pulls from a lot of alt right sources and brings a lot of those things to Fox News. He was the one raising up the Bundys as heroes, playing videos to prove that Hillary was a secret epileptic, and calling Bill Clinton a pedophile because he flew on Epstein's plane. If a crazy alt right story or conspiracy makes Fox News you can probably trace it to either Fox and Friends at 6 AM or Hannity at 10 PM.

I agree Fox News itself isn't alt right. That's why any elevation for Hannity would push them farther right and towards the alt right (although certainly not there). But I doubt Fox News would be stupid enough to put Hannity on at 8. I think its more likely they'd stuff someone tamer in there and leave Hannity in his late night quarantine.

Hannity is not alt-right (AKA nazi). He's a staunch laissez-faire capitalist. They're both lovely as gently caress, but don't blend the terms together or conflate the two.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

How does an "alt-right" make any sense? Their core viewers are conservative but no where to the paranoia and viciousness of the alt-right.

Maybe you just know different republicans than me or something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah most of the alt-right is really upset at Trump's strike on Syria, and don't want us to go to war over there, while Hannity is cheerleading hard for Trump's strike and the idea of war.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Good morning! Here's what's happening in the land of RWM today! :suicide101:

:eyepop: wow that Daily Caller headline.

And of course your daily dose of Levin:

Master Shake posted:

On Tuesday’s Mark Levin show, President Trump, like President Reagan before him, has displayed a strength of resolve that has put America’s enemies on notice. When Trump attacked the Syrian airbase, he sent many signals after 8 years of appeasement and capitulation. He signaled to Russia, North Korea, Iran and China that America isn’t to be messed with. President Obama gave our enemies so much leeway that they took advantage of us and we had to reverse course.

Also, North Korea wants to fire nukes at us with Kim Jong-un’s finger on the button. The Trump administration is acting in ways a responsible administration should in pushing back against Russia, China, and North Korea. It is appalling for Trump to be attacked for doing the right thing from both the left and the Code Pink Republicans. Trump has decided to and has taken steps to protect this country. After that, Sebastian Gorka, Deputy Assistant to the President, calls in to discuss the White House’s view on the missile strike on Syria. Finally, David Limbaugh calls in to talk about his new book, “The True Jesus: Uncovering the Divinity of Christ in the Gospels.”

It's stunning how much he's in the tank for Trump. The only way any of this is believable is if his viewers never actually watch or listen to recordings of 45 himself. "Reaganesque." It gets me every time since Levin's audience fancies themselves intellectuals but even Nattyreview is too embarrassed to endorse Trump directly. Looks like Levin's going to lick Trump's balls to the bitter end, so I'm looking forward to the spin he puts on Trump's continued decline into dementia.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Thankfully digging up dirt" is phrased in such a way they are openly admitting that they can rest easy as the victim has a reason to be ignored. A stupid Washington DC local journalist yesterday had to delete a tweet where she was bragging about how much poo poo she was getting on him which didn't go over as well as she thought it would then played it as ":qq: people are being so mean to me so I'M the real victim here, not the guy that was beaten on an airplane."

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Radish posted:

"Thankfully digging up dirt" is phrased in such a way they are openly admitting that they can rest easy as the victim has a reason to be ignored. A stupid Washington DC local journalist yesterday had to delete a tweet where she was bragging about how much poo poo she was getting on him which didn't go over as well as she thought it would then played it as ":qq: people are being so mean to me so I'M the real victim here, not the guy that was beaten on an airplane."

Some people are just hardcore authoritarian followers. For the majority of the right (and many on the left) Altemeyer's The Authoritarians explains a lot of their behavior, to the point that it has helped me accurately predict people's responses. (If a model helps me made accurate predictions rather than just explaining things ex post facto I consider it to be pretty good.) The Narrativism of Prester Jane, fascinating analysis that it is, explains the behavior of a small minority.

To give an example, I have a conservative friend who is comfortable with -- even seeks out queer spaces, and is fine with clothing styles and music that are broadly transgressive in current American society, but if there's a conflict between an authority he considers legitimate and some individual, he tends to side with the authority; since he views the police, private corporations, etc as legitimate authorities, this makes his worldview inherently reactionary. However he doesn't generally doesn't consider himself to be in a crusade against an all-powerful other and is surrounded by liberal friends that I can tell he has no animus for.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 12, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can understand it to some extent. If you have to look at how broken some parts of our system is (for instance how we have armed authority figures brutalize a non-violent man for not exiting a plane he paid to be on in full public view) it raises a lot of uncomfortable questions about society that most people don't really want to have to consider. It's much easier for Investigative Journalist to figure out how that guy deserved it and there actually isn't a problem then consider the horror of being a few minutes away from being beaten and dragged somewhere for not following orders in a country that constantly emphasizes how free we are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alienwarehouse posted:

Hannity is not alt-right (AKA nazi). He's a staunch laissez-faire capitalist. They're both lovely as gently caress, but don't blend the terms together or conflate the two.

Again, I apologized for calling him alt right (it was dumb and me just getting carried away) and clarified that he just references them a lot and gets stories from them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2017

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The odds of Fox News moving to the left thanks to the Murdoch kids is about as likely as the Trump administration becoming more friendly to women and the environment because of the influence of ~*~ Ivanka ~*~

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CubanMissile posted:

The odds of Fox News moving to the left thanks to the Murdoch kids is about as likely as the Trump administration becoming more friendly to women and the environment because of the influence of ~*~ Ivanka ~*~

Yeah, even when time finally claims Murdoch senior, his kids will suckle at the teet of old people for money. Not anything new considering their upbringing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL you think 0.00001%ers like Murdoch does shave one hell of a complicated Soul Jar and deal with Death and Satan.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
"Hey man, you signed an agreement that you can be removed." Ignoring that you have no loving choice if you want to fly and this should not be normal. But anything to lick the bottom of the corporate shoe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, I've read a few articles saying that companies pulling their advertising from this particular show aren't pulling their advertising from Fox, they're just moving their ads to other shows on the network.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, this isn't about Conservatism or Trump. This is because Bill's a sexual predator and Fox News has a "pervy" stink on them after the Ailes stuff so its not as easy to dismiss.

They are NOT moving left/center. They've shed all their people who didn't jump on the Trump train besides a few elder statesmen like Krauthammer and Wallace. And even with that George Will still got the boot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Holy poo poo that Daily Caller headline, what the gently caress.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hannity was beating the war drum real hard on his show today. I got legitimately angry at him, because he was upset about the soldiers who have died overseas for Bush's wars. No, he wasn't angry that they were sent over there in the first place. He's angry that they died "for nothing" because we "didn't finish the job in Iraq." In other words, he's implicitly admitting he would be 100% cool with our sons and daughters dying in war as long as we win. So in that vein, he's not saying "We shouldn't go into Syria because soldiers would die and we'd make an even bigger mess," he's saying "We need to go in, but do it right this time and not give up before we're done!"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Sir Tonk posted:

Holy poo poo that Daily Caller headline, what the gently caress.

"Afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. Except the opposite of that."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hannity was beating the war drum real hard on his show today. I got legitimately angry at him, because he was upset about the soldiers who have died overseas for Bush's wars. No, he wasn't angry that they were sent over there in the first place. He's angry that they died "for nothing" because we "didn't finish the job in Iraq." In other words, he's implicitly admitting he would be 100% cool with our sons and daughters dying in war as long as we win. So in that vein, he's not saying "We shouldn't go into Syria because soldiers would die and we'd make an even bigger mess," he's saying "We need to go in, but do it right this time and not give up before we're done!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2OvrpzjvM&t=80s

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Womp womp

https://twitter.com/clarkriemer/status/852200968892665856

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He was also championing Trump (big surprise) for "doing what he said he would do", completely ignoring all the times when Trump urged Obama not to act militarily in Syria.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Someone please post the penrose stairs made of soldier coffins and Bush walking on them cartoon.

tia.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you actually read the Daily Caller article, you will see that they and other alt-right personalities are trying to spin some media smearing the United passenger as an indictment of all lamestream liberal media and further proof that leftists are the real corporatists/racists who will defend big government attacking an innocent Asian man. The "thankfully" is sarcasm.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of cheerleaders...

I'll skip the first half of this post where Scott says that no other president before Trump ever tried to do anything about North Korea, favor of him talking about how great the past few days have been for Trump.

Dilb posted:

This has been a good week for President Trump. So far, we have seen:

1. Sean Spicer (accidentally?) caused the opposition media to argue that Hitler analogies are ridiculous.

2. The Syrian attack established Trump as a measured and decisive leader. His popularity will rise. Even many of his critics supported the attack.

3. Trump solved for the “puppet of Putin” allegation by attacking its client state, Syria.

4. Trump’s Supreme Court nominee succeeded, albeit the hard way.

5. The healthcare issue is moving forward after the initial trial-balloon that was more of a negotiating step than a real proposal.

6. Tax reform is now on hold for healthcare reform, but no one thinks that is a bad way to go. The savings on healthcare are part of any budget and tax plan.

7. Relations with China look good. Trump and Xi had good chemistry.

8. China is putting the pressure on North Korea like never before.

9. The economy is good, and optimism is high, in part thanks to Trump. (Mostly the optimism part.)

10. Iran is probably a bit more flexible this week after watching the Syrian attack.

11. News coverage had already mostly evolved from “Trump is Hitler” to “Trump is incompetent.” The Syrian attack and the North Korean situation moved Trump to “Effective, but some of us don’t like what he is doing” I wasn’t expecting that to happen before the end of the year.

You can tell me other presidents have had better starts. But I doubt that is the case. Keep in mind that Trump started in the deepest hole of any president, ever. He’s already halfway out of the hole and establishing himself as a strong leader on international issues.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Scott Adams is saying that Trump "started in the deepest hole of any president ever". How does one become this dumb and ahistorical and unconvincing?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Edible Hat posted:

Scott Adams is saying that Trump "started in the deepest hole of any president ever". How does one become this dumb and ahistorical and unconvincing?

I think he means w/r/t public opinion of him though I'm guessing that's also a lie. Pretty ridiculous that a guy who got famous writing cartoons lampooning office work and business is now sucking the dick of the stupidest loving idiot to ever live because he's "a successful businessman"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Edible Hat posted:

If you actually read the Daily Caller article, you will see that they and other alt-right personalities are trying to spin some media smearing the United passenger as an indictment of all lamestream liberal media and further proof that leftists are the real corporatists/racists who will defend big government attacking an innocent Asian man. The "thankfully" is sarcasm.
If no one else has, please allow me to thank you for reading that so I don't have to.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder Rush fans were an early 90s example of a fandom with it's own nickname Dittoheads.

I thought this was about the prog rock band at first. I guess both of them love rich people and hate moochers.

Scott Adams posted:

5. The healthcare issue is moving forward after the initial trial-balloon that was more of a negotiating step than a real proposal.

Remember, if Trump gets what he says he wants, then he won, but if he doesn't, then it was just part of the negotiation and he'll eventually win anyway.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 13, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adams posted:

You can tell me other presidents have had better starts. But I doubt that is the case. Keep in mind that Trump started in the deepest hole of any president, ever. He’s already halfway out of the hole and establishing himself as a strong leader on international issues.
Everything Scott says is insane now a days but loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For the record James Murdoch is more socially liberal than his father, but he's also way more Ayn Rand capitalist true believer.

His interesting quirk, however, is he's a hardcore environmentalist. He made Sky HQ in London only use rainwater for toilets! But more interestingly it's directly at odds with his father. Droopy bought some land to build some god-awful golf course or holiday resort on and Jimmy kept trying to turn it into a self-sustainable vegetable farm.

He lost, of course, because Droopert always gets what he wants.